As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse

MMA NINE: THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL

MMA news:
Bullshido
Sherdog
MMA Weekly
MMA Junkie
MMAPlayground
Bloody Elbow
MixedMartialArts.com
BestFightOdds Showing a collection of fight odds from a variety of betting organizations.
MMA Betting Blog Explains how odds work, gives tips on good betting sites. (Credit to Zzulu)
Fight Metric A collection of very well put-together UFC stats and fight analysis. Graphs included.

Let's get it on!

bigjohn.jpg

We all do our best to be cool here. We all love mixed martial arts and traditional martial arts and while not everyone's opinions are the same, they are all personal and valid. Let's have excellent debate but not stupid drama, ok?

So what are the organizations and who are their champions?
Champions:
ufc.jpg

UFC

ufc_logo_400.jpg

The UFC is the biggest and most well-known organization on the planet. They boast to have the best fighters in the world for the weight classes they showcase and besides the Heavyweight class, they are right. They have monthly pay-per-views and free cards on Spike TV every few months. Also, they cock block Strikeforce every now and then by putting old PPVs on Spike the same night Strikeforce is having a show.

Heavyweight
Brock Lesnar
Won Title: UFC 91 on 11/15/08...def. Randy Couture
Last Defense: UFC 116 on 7/3/10...def Shane Carwin
Next Defense: UFC 121 on 10/23/10vs Cain Velasquez
brockufc1.jpg

Light Heavyweight
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Won Title: UFC 113 on 5/8/10...def. Lyoto Machida
Last Defense: N/A
Next Defense: TBA
shogun-lhw-champ.jpg

Middleweight
Anderson “The Spider” Silva
Won Title: UFC 64 on 10/14/06...def. Rich Franklin
Last Defense: UFC 117 on 8/7/10...def Chael Sonnen
Next Defense: ?
anderson-silva-retains-title-at-ufc-90.jpg

Welterweight
George “Rush” St. Pierre
Won Title: UFC 83 on 4/19/08...def. Matt Serra
Last Defense: UFC 111 on 3/27/10...def. Dan Hardy
Next Defense: Josh Koscheck...date TBA
Gsp_ufc_79.ScoTT17SVHS.jpg

Lightweight
Frankie Edgar
Won Title: UFC 112 on 4/10/10...def. BJ Penn
Last Defense: UFC 118 on 8/28/10 def. BJ Penn
Next Defense: UFC ? on ? facing Gray Maynard
frankie.jpg

wec.png
wec_logo_3.jpg

Next we have the UFC’s little brother, WEC. They’re a separate organization that concentrates on the lighter weight classes of the sport, but is owned by the same parent company as the UFC, Zuffa. While they’re not as big an organization and don’t pull in the same amount of money as their big bro, they arguably put on better cards on a consistent basis.

Current Champions:

Lightweight
Benson "Smooth" Henderson
Won Title: WEC 46 on 1/10/10...def. Jamie Varner
Last Defense: WEC 48 on 4/24/10...def. Donald Cerrone
10454-HendersonVarner575WEC46.jpg

Featherweight
Jose Aldo
Won Title: WEC 44 on 11/18/09...def. Mike Brown
Last Defense: WEC 48 on 4/24/10...def. Urijah Faber
Next Defense: WEC Aldo vs. Gamburyan on 9/30/10 facing Manny Gamburyan
jose-aldo2-large.jpg

Bantamweight
Dominick Cruz
Won Title: WEC 47 on 3/6/10...def. Brian Bowles
Last Defense: WEC 50 on 8/18/10...def. Joseph Benavidez
dominickcruzx-large.jpg

strikeforce.jpg
StrikeforceLogo.jpg

Last we have Strikeforce. They can boast having the #1 Heavyweight and (arguably) the #1 P4P fighter in the world on their roster, but that’s the only major thing they have over their competition. They don’t have monthly PPVs, don’t have as deep a roster as the UFC does and they’re a bit more disorganized (as this is being written, their Heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem, hasn’t defended his title in over two years). They have some great fighters, but they are a very solid #2 behind the UFC.

Current Champions:

Heavyweight
Alistair “The Demolition Man” Overeem (Also known as Ubereem)
Won Title: Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives on 11/16/07...def. Paul Buentello
Last Defense: Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery on 5/15/10...def. Brett Rogers
AlistairOvereem-belt.jpeg

Light Heavyweight
Muhammad "King Mo" Lawal
Won Title: Strikeforce: Nashville on 4/17/10...def. Gegard Mousasi
Next Defense: 8/21/2010 vs. Rafael Cavalcante
king_mo.jpg

Middleweight
Jake Shields
Won Title: Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers on 11/7/09...def. Jason Miller
Last Defense: Strikeforce: Nashville on 4/17/10...def. Dan Henderson
Next Defense: Never, because he left. They'll appoint a new champ sometime and I'll fix this then.
jake_shields.jpg

Welterweight
Nick Diaz
Won Title: Strikeforce: Miami on 1/30/10...def. Marius Zaromskis
Nick_Diaz_shamrock_fight_2.jpg

Lightweight
Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez
Won Title: Strikeforce: Revenge on 6/9/06...def. Clay Guida
Last Defense: Strikeforce: Nashville on 4/17/10...def. Shinya Aoki
9819-Gilbert-Melendez-AdapTx.jpg

Women’s Featherweight
Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos
Won Title: Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg on 8/15/09...def. Gina Carano
Last Defense: Strikeforce / M-1 Global - Fedor vs. Werdum on 6/26/2010 def. Jan Finny
resized_cris_cyborg_3.jpg

Women’s Bantamweight
Sarah Kaufman
Won Title: ShoMMA 6: Kaufman vs. Hashi on 2/26/10...def. Takayo Hashi
Last Defense: Strikeforce - Challengers 9 on 7/23/2010 def. Roxanne Modaferi
IMG_5773.CR2-Sarah-Kaufman-Que-banh-590-258x357.jpg

There are other combat sport organizations out there (K-1, DEEP, Shooto, Dream, Bellator, etc.) and they are certainly open up for discussion, but I’m only going to maintain information for the above 3 organizations since they are the ones that will likely be discussed the most.

A thousand thanks to doug_grammar, whose OP I shamelessly cribbed a lot of this from, and chillywilly for the structure of the excellent champs spoiler.

Peen on

• krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice OP. Also, Dominick Cruz's next opponent is Joseph Benavidez for WEC 50's main event on August 18. Their first fight was pretty crazy so this fight should be a barn burner.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, I updated that.

Peen on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We should probably have a part of the OP explaing PAFC and the current standings.

Also: Losing in Strikeforce? Not a problem for your career or your championship hopes!

Report: Strikeforce To Offer Fedor Next Title Shot At Alistair Overeem
    Despite suffering his first legitimate loss to Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce/M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum on June 26th, F4WOnline.com is reporting that Fedor Emelianenko will be offered a Strikeforce Heavyweight title shot against current champion Alistair Overeem, given he signs their usual title match agreement (which binds the champion to defend in the promotion).

Apparently the idea is if Fedor fights Werdum again and wins, he can leave and that would allow Strikeforce to get him in a title match and keep him, whereas if he loses they've simply established their title.

Not that anyone in this thread is suprised in any way shape or form though.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would like it to be known that the organization/champion stuff was all my doing. Normally, I wouldn't care, but that took some time to put together and I'm proud of it. :D

Otherwise, good OP. I'm loving the Big John pic.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited July 2010
    I left PAFC out because I wasn't sure what its status is. Has anybody been keeping track of it?

Peen on
    edited July 2010
    One other thing you have Jake Shields as Stirkeforce Middleweight champion and well he got released.

So I would have to assume that a garbage can or dumpster currently has the Strikeforce Belt. You're more to welcome to use this picture for the current champion:
    dumpster.jpg

Next Opponent? Well I think that's pretty obvious:
    04.jpg
    Duke "The Dumpster" Droese

Metal Jared on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We're keeping track of PAFC.

Sort of.

Right guys?

Right?

adytum on
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    We're keeping track of PAFC.

Sort of.

Right guys?

Right?

All I know is that there are 5 people left and I'm one of them.

Found it!

It's moot, because you still have Metaljared's score wrong. He got 47, as Snarfmaster said.

... *SIGH*

Chokehead (53) v. Adytum (52)

Metaljared (47) v. Snarfmaster (17)

B:L (72) v. Moleface (58)

Chagrin (36) v. Star (35)

Chilly (50) v. Oreo (48)

I've been fucking stupid all day. I really don't know how I managed to completely miss the point of Snarf's post

Metal Jared on
    edited July 2010
    I'm still confused though, because there's five people. How the hell is the next round going to work? I'll put it in the OP but only if you clear up this confusion you guys.

I'm really just mad that I went out so early.

Peen on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L versus the two lowest scoring guys.

He is that formidable.

Dangerbird on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I left PAFC out because I wasn't sure what its status is. Has anybody been keeping track of it?

THe wonderful thing about it, is you can retroactively keep track of it. I'll put together an updated bracket tonight. :)

So... what do we do about the 5th person? I didn't really think about that when I put the tournament together.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L gets a bye and then a three-way-dance for the championship.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

Meaning it would be over after two more events?

If that's okay with the remaining competitors, it's okay with me.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited July 2010
    I'm down for that.

Apparently...

8-)

...it will now take three to tango.
    YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited July 2010
    Goddamn you, Chilly.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I guess I will compete against ChillyWilly because his score and mines are close to each other. Chargin v. Metaljared.

I must destroy him... using my jiu-jitsu.

doug_grammar on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's been posted before, but

1) the album just released on 7/7
    2) the front page of every MMA thread requires him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGdyaDnnrLM

BubbaT on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, Cyborg's last title defense was vs Jan Finney on 6/26.

BubbaT on
    edited July 2010
    Just for clarification:

Is the next event for the PAFC going to be the free VS card on August 1st or 117 on August 7th?

ChillyWilly on
    edited July 2010
    I'm down for that.

Apparently...

8-)

...it will now take three to tango.
    YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buwahahahaha

So what's the next event? UFC 117 I'm assuming?

Metal Jared on
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    It's been posted before, but

1) the album just released on 7/7
    2) the front page of every MMA thread requires him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGdyaDnnrLM

I HAVE TO BUY TEN COPIES.

The next Versus is actually pretty good, but I think we had a unspoken agreement that we're sticking to just the normal UFCs.

doug_grammar on
    edited July 2010
    Do we? I mean, we agreed we wouldn't do the Ultimate Fighter Finale because LAME, but why not UFC on Versus?

Also, the tournament format is great, but there's really no reason everyone can't be involved in every card. I mean... why aren't we still having regular 1v1 fights? Like... I'd love to fight someone. RIGHT NOW.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited July 2010
    I'm down with doing the VS card next because it has fighters that I actually feel comfortable betting on, unlike a TUF finale. It's still a UFC PPV-type event...it just happens to be on VS.

ChillyWilly on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

Meaning it would be over after two more events?

If that's okay with the remaining competitors, it's okay with me.

Or you could bring back someone from the losers bracket to face the Highest scorer, then end it in a 3 way...

Snarfmaster on
    edited July 2010
    Alright, here's what I'll do.

I'll make up a loser's bracket, and for now, we'll just have people competing for the sake of it. The one with the most points from all of the loser bracket will step up and fight during the finals.

So instead of a three way rumble, we'll have two fights (the ones now), then two more fights (winners of the last two fights, B:L versus somebody), and then finally, the last fight.

I guess we'll also be using the Versus card to speed up this process. Then, at the end of it all, I will add up all of the points people attained while still in the tournament (excluding the Finale), and create the rankings for the next tournament, so that way, the next time we do this, we'll essentially be like the UFC with some of us being more "dominant" than others, but everyone gets the same chance anyway. It'll open up the path to upsets, and stuff like that. Also, the next tournament will have the loser's bracket right away so we could avoid this potential disaster of a scenario from now on.

doug_grammar on
    edited July 2010
    If I can make a counter proposal, instead of having a tournament immediately, how about a fresh start with a round robin format in the new 'season' to determine seeding?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I don't want to throw away all of this progression though. Of course, we're going to go with a round robin format, but for now, we'll just going with the flow.

I mean, we got records now. All of the winners right now have 2-0, some have 1-1, and a few got 0-1. Once this tournament's over, we could establish who is the champion.

The champion would then sit out for the next card, and we'll have the person in second place against the person in the third place. Whoever wins gets a shot at the title.

For example: The person in second place loses against the champion, so he drops down to third place. The person who used to be in third place will fight the champion next time for he becomes the second. The fourth fights the fifth, and loses, and the fifth steps up to fight the second place person who is now the third, who he wins against. The third place person (who is now second) loses to the champion, and now the fifth place person gets to fight against the champion for beating both the fourth, and the second place person. The champion loses the match, and the champion now becomes third place, because the fifth place person is now the champion, and some one else has stepped up the ladder to become second. This is to prevent rematches instantaneously.

... I don't know what I just typed.

doug_grammar on
    edited July 2010
    To be honest, I don't much care for establishing a ranking system off a single event that could very well be a fluke. =p

In actual MMA news, alot of people seem to be discounting Jon Jones' opponent, which does not seem wise.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited July 2010
    The problem as I see it, knowing nothing about the guy, is that he seems good at winning decisions and I'm not sure anybody's decisioning Bones at this point.

Peen on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Matyushenko's a good wrestler, but if he's better than Jones in that regard, it's not by enough. On the feet, Jones will have the speed, power, reach, and creativity advantages.

Wet Bandit on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Matyushenko is much more than just a good wrestler. He's a legend in the world of sanitation engineering!

Dangerbird on
  • eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    The problem as I see it, knowing nothing about the guy, is that he seems good at winning decisions and I'm not sure anybody's decisioning Bones at this point.

Jones did slow down at the end of his fights with Bonnar and Gusmao, but Matyushenko isn't the sort of fighter that can tire Jones early and hes passive enough that he would still lose rounds to Jones even if he does tire him out. So I can't see Jones losing but its good for Jones development as Matyushenko presents a few problems for Jones without being to stern a test.

eEK! on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I don't know if anyone's talked about this recently... but has anyone been paying attention to Jason David Frank? AKA the Green Ranger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_David_Frank

The man has 4 MMA victories and is fighting his pro fight in August. I'm intrigued.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Of course he has 4 MMA wins, look at him.
    mmpr-dragonzord.jpg

815165 on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    So I don't know if anyone's talked about this recently... but has anyone been paying attention to Jason David Frank? AKA the Green Ranger?

The man has 4 MMA victories and is fighting his pro fight in August. I'm intrigued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQYtmb-f0w&feature=related

I kind of hope he comes out to this.

or maybe this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGlSUxqkT8&feature=related

either way i'd probably shit myself.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »

Yeah, videos of his first couple fights are pretty easy to find.

He has someone really shrill in his corner. ;X

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited July 2010
    DREAM 15 tonight.

3AM EST, 12AM PST

If you're going to miss it because you're too drunk to stay up/still out on the town/etc. then it's okay. I'll provide play by play details for you to ignore when you come back.

doug_grammar on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a great card. Really pumped.

Also, Matyushenko's a legit longtime vet who should never be counted out against anybody..... but I think a guy with Jones' natural gifts is just too much for him. He's the new breed of fighter.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always end up spoiling the Dream cards for myself cause the time difference gets confusing.

Not this time.

815165 on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got it set to DVR. Thanks for the reminder.

adytum on