As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Lost Salient, have you read any of the Flashman series?
    data-top-flashman.jpg
    Que? (Sorry)
    Those sentai clearly don't have mustaches and are clearly not banging Indian royalty.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anti all the cool kids watch Engine Force now.

that may be, but when have I ever been one of them?

anywho, been in a comic mood lately, just read We3 for the first time recently. damn.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I need to start a new book

What's the To Read stack looking like these days?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

me too, but i've bought so many books that i haven't actually read yet so i can't justify going to find a new one

i'm thinking the good soldier is next, though i should really finish theft since i started it and enjoyed it and just stopped

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

What's the To Read stack looking like these days?

It's getting pretty slim!

I need to re-assess that, I'm sure there's a couple things I've been itching to re-read that I can toss onto the pile too.

I can't afford to go on another book buying binge right now though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I should definitely not once again tell you how good Joe Hill's short story collection is?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hahaha it's on the list! (of stuff I wanna buy) So are his two novels actually. And Black Hills, and the Joe Kurtz novels, and the second Locke Lamora book, and a million other things.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Repost the list once you figure it out and we the mighty internet shall render unto you horrible judgement.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read american gods last week while selling fireworks in NC

I love that book because it's like anytime you don't like the plot, just wait about fifty pages and he'll start another

Skull Man on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Repost the list once you figure it out and we the mighty internet shall render unto you horrible judgement.

Hey Talon

16 Most Hair-Raising General Mattis Quotes

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This is a glorious thing you have brought me. I am well pleased. You may have a week off from the sacrifices.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My favorite is
    "When Gen. Abrial arrived to relieve me as the supreme commander, only don’t ask, don’t tell kept me from hugging and kissing him" #mattisms

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mattis is a rad dude.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MrBrick wrote: »
    Anyone want to suggest something worth reading in the same vein as Alastair Reynolds, Richard Morgan, Dick, Ballard etc? I'm feeling the urge to read something Space-operary or dystopian.

If you haven't read any of the above, then you should. Terminal World is an excellent Reynolds, and light enough to read on the train/toilet.

Ilium or Hyperion by Dan Simmons

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Startide Rising by David Brin

Bale you do good work. I wish there were more Uplift books, because I really like that universe. Mass Effect kind of reminded me of it.

captaink on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going through Humanity by Jonathan Glover again, cannot reccomend the book enough.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also it turns out that book I linked is available on Audible, and it sounds alright

Maybe if I get more credits next month I'll pick it up! I almost feel like I need to own a book titled Soon I Will Be Invincible

I bought that book on my nook a while ago. It's pretty good!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    come on, seriously, the middle of jonathan strange was interminable and nothing interesting happened

it didn't really pick up until
    shit went down and his wife got nabbed and he sequestered himself and went crazyish

after that it was great

I really enjoyed all of it, honestly

But I guess I'm a history major and used to reading that sort of stuff for fun or something

well I'm certainly no history major

but maybe I should be?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    i did not enjoy jonathan strange very much
    i am not a fan of dry text
    give me a nice wet text to ease me in gently, and then i'm too lazy to continue the vagina metaphor here

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    I read american gods last week while selling fireworks in NC

I love that book because it's like anytime you don't like the plot, just wait about fifty pages and he'll start another

I liked the overall plot but the vignettes at the end of each chapter were even better. I think he could have trimmed down the part where Shadow was just hanging out in Lakeside though, if it was anyone but Gaiman writing it I would have got bored and given up at that point.

Butler on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm around half-way through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It's pretty fucking rad. I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it as much as Kafka On The Shore, though.

I just got Days of Reading by Marcel Proust.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reading Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo and some asshole on the radio spoiled it for me, but said it wasn't that big of a spoiler
    apparently the girl set her dad on fire and stuff...

I was pissed off when he said it...

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I'm around half-way through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It's pretty fucking rad. I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it as much as Kafka On The Shore, though.

I want to pick up another Murakami book, need to figure out which one though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read Norwegian Wood that was pretty good. I could believe those characters. I have heard great things about Bird Chronicles and am interested in that.

I recently finished Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. That will make you sad about your country.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I want to pick up another Murakami book, need to figure out which one though.

Which of his books have you read?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World

I was thinking about reading that one sometime soon. Did you like it?

I'd highly recommend Kafka On The Shore and Sputnik Sweetheart. If you want a short Murkami book, give Sputnik a shot.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just finished "Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy".

A pretty interesting book, and a quick read. Good for anybody who wants a little more knowledge and history on the subject.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What are these Murakami or whoever books? The titles sound neat.

Ah, this guy. What is a good book to try?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Reading Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo and some asshole on the radio spoiled it for me, but said it wasn't that big of a spoiler
    apparently the girl set her dad on fire and stuff...

I was pissed off when he said it...

without full context that spoiler isn't too bad

I'm like halfway through Hornet's Nest but it's getting to the point where I want to finish it just to finish it

Tired of reading about how Svennsson and Sandsson met Andersson on the tunelbana between gotensburg and goensgatan to go to lundsgatan because ughhhh

Monoxide on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just finished Slaughterhouse Five. I'm thinking of reading Go Down, Moses next.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    isbn.aspx?isbn=9780385334549

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm about to finish King Leopold's Ghost

a lot of the chapters feel redundant, other than that it's pretty dramatic for being a Non Fiction book

not as entertaining as Lost City of Z though

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami

Is it best to start with an early work?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the wind-up bird chronicle is a pretty good start, i think

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I strongly disagree. Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, although I did enjoy it, is a long, slow, and uneventful book. It's good, but one's first experience by an author should have a little more narrative to it, and Chronicle is a bit much to ask of a first-time Murakami reader.

I'm going to say either Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Norwegian Wood or Kafka on the Shore.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I strongly disagree. Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, although I did enjoy it, is a long, slow, and uneventful book. It's good, but one's first experience by an author should have a little more narrative to it, and Chronicle is a bit much to ask of a first-time Murakami reader.

I'm going to say either Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Norwegian Wood or Kafka on the Shore.

Agreed. Wind-Up is great, but requires a lot of dedication and would perhaps best be read after you've gotten a few of Murakami's books under your belt. I am inclined to say the same thing about Kafka on the Shore, though to a lesser extent.

I started with Norwegian Wood, and that's the one I suggest to anyone who has never read his books. It has a good flow to it and can sort of "break in" a new reader. It's also the first of Murakami's books to be made into a movie to my knowledge...due out in Japan in December, I think.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wish there were more used bookstores around. I checked out 3 close to me (two were tiny) and they didn't have most of what I was looking for, and the stuff they did have was in bad condition. And getting it online means I can't see the books' conditions beforehand, and the shipping is literally 50% of the cost.

Where do you people get your books from online? Out of Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and some place called Alibris, Alibris is the cheapest for the books I want. Any other places I should check?

[Michael] on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aight

I guess I'm finally going to read Pride and Prejudice

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a great book and it's the first book I read of his and I read it in high school. There's worse books to pick up and there's certainly worse books by Murakami to pick up.

Sure it almost killed me, but I'm the better reader for it.

Penguin Incarnate on
This discussion has been closed.