As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Verify Your Account NOW

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I think I am still secretly hoping they will discount the Witcher after that crap they pulled...

I don't understand why people are bitter about that. I'm guessing either they were running low on keys or that price was a mistake in the first place.

subedii on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    The serious sam weekend free weekend?

Is that all it is this weekend?

Well you could always play some of those games that you bought but haven't actually played yet.

I'm guessing a lot of us are in that situation right about now. D:

Ohhohohohoho. Ironically, I seem to be playing the game I've already completed on the 360 the most, Borderlands. Doubly funny 'cause I almost didn't even buy it because 'I'd already completed it and it would be a waste of money'.

I really want to get on with Civ IV and The Guild but both those require so much time and effort I plan on leaving them for a good while.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I am still secretly hoping they will discount the Witcher after that crap they pulled...

I don't understand why people are bitter about that. I'm guessing either they were running low on keys or that price was a mistake in the first place.

You don't understand why people are mad that they doubled the price with no warning before the end of the sale?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You don't understand why people are mad that they doubled the price with no warning before the end of the sale?

Like I said, I'm guessing either they ran out of keys or it was a mistake to begin with. It happens.

IIRC one or two other titles also got their prices readjusted during the sale. The Defence Grid DLC was 50% off initially but that was a mistake and then they put it back up to its regular price. Anyone who bought it at the low price still got it, so it's not like they scammed anyone.

subedii on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow. The Void is both great, and really really hard.

Ask and ye shall receive.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I heard something about the developer saying that the 66% was supposed to have been for a day only, but wasn't advertised as such. Or something.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I have the Serious Sam HD pack, so if anyone wants to co-op it up for the First or Second Encounter over the weekend, send me a message on Steam or whatever!

Those games are SERIOUS fun

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I have the Serious Sam HD pack, so if anyone wants to co-op it up for the First or Second Encounter over the weekend, send me a message on Steam or whatever!

Those games are SERIOUS fun

Oli I'll take you up on your offer sometime this weekend!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

You know what sucks? Buying The Witcher for $50, finding out that the regular price is actually $30, then having it discounted to even less than that during the sale. I haven't even played the game, I got a bit annoyed by how it treated romances.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Red TrousersRed Trousers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Not really, they're under no obligation to warn you when they are going to raise the price of something. Its a shop not your own personal dealer

Red Trousers on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The serious sam weekend free weekend?

Is that all it is this weekend?

Serious Sam Second Encounter 50% off ($19.99 --> $9.99)
    Football Manager 2010 25% off ($19.99 --> $14.99)
    Turba and Puzzle Agent each 10% off ($9.99 --> $8.99)
    Railworks Class 02 Shunter Pack DLC 33% off ($8.99 --> $5.99)

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not really, they're under no obligation to warn you when they are going to raise the price of something. Its a shop not your own personal dealer

It was, however, advertised as a normal (read: until July 4th) deal. In the main page it was even mentioned by name with the rest of the Atari deals (ALL 66% off,) and in the Atari page it was too mentioned by name.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2010

There's a difference between obligation and good customer service...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

It was, however, advertised as a normal (read: until July 4th) deal. In the main page it was even mentioned by name with the rest of the Atari deals (ALL 66% off,) and in the Atari page it was too mentioned by name.

Ah, ok. Didn't realise that.

Still it was clearly an oversight or, as someone else mentioned, a license key issue. People are acting as though Steam did it to personally slight them, and considering the amount of great deals and customer service they normally provide, completely deriding them for one instance is a slight overreaction.

Red Trousers on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Still it was clearly an oversight or, as someone else mentioned, a license key issue. People are acting as though Steam did it to personally slight them, and considering the amount of great deals and customer service they normally provide, completely deriding them for one instance is a slight overreaction.

I never said it was Steam's fault. I am purely blaming the publisher here.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh yeah, f**k the publishers.

Think I'll go take a breath and stop defending Steam like its my girlfriend icon_razz.gif

Red Trousers on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I would've taken even a "My bad, it was a screwup. But we'll put it once more as a daily deal and then it's back to only 33% off."

That would've been FAR better for everyone involved.

Wasn't even in the last day of "Best deals."

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I would've taken even a "My bad, it was a screwup. But we'll put it once more as a daily deal and then it's back to only 33% off."

That would've been FAR better for everyone involved.

Wasn't even in the last day of "Best deals."

That was exactly what I was looking for. They should have put it up one more time on the last day during with the "best of" deals.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's even funnier because they amended it to say it was 33% off but until August instead of July 4th, half the sale but for more than twice as long.

And then of course it went back to full price on July 5th.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's even funnier because they amended it to say it was 33% off but until August instead of July 4th, half the sale but for more than twice as long.

Haha it's full price again? That's sad. I was just going to say, the "it's on sale till August" thing was probably their half-assed attempt to rectify the problem (like anyone who was looking to get it during that sale cares)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CD Projekt, who also do the whole GOG thing, probably have inserted The Witcher into Steam as a part of their David vs Goliath strategy. This was clearly a move on their part to foment dissent within the ranks of the mighty Philli-Steam Army.

It's an inside job. Connect the dots.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    CD Projekt, who also do the whole GOG thing, probably have inserted The Witcher into Steam as a part of their David vs Goliath strategy. This was clearly a move on their part to foment dissent within the ranks of the mighty Philli-Steam Army.

All I'm seeing is a bunny rabbit.

No wait, maybe it's a duck.

subedii on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »

All I'm seeing is a bunny rabbit.

No wait, maybe it's a duck.

No. That's Obama, and he's the Anitchrist.

Don't you get it?

Drake on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck yeaaaaah 33% off the Railworks Class 02 Shunter Pack.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only 7 of those shunter locomotives exist, which means this sale is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity

Don't think you'll get another discount on it anytime soon! Now is the time to act!

Alegis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone tell me more about Railworks.

Please. :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jazz wrote: »

All you'll ever need to know about Railworks

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-railworks/17-2557/

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, so I'm finally getting all of my stuff updated on steam, but man, some of these updates are huge (I'm looking at you, TF2). Is there a way to see the size of the update you're sucking down?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm finally getting all of my stuff updated on steam, but man, some of these updates are huge (I'm looking at you, TF2). Is there a way to see the size of the update you're sucking down?
    It usually tells you how big the update is under the download tab.The left 4 dead 2 update was 32MB, I believe TF2 was a gig or 2.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, thank you. Seems TF2 is downloading completely, so 8gb.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    kal wrote: »

All you'll ever need to know about Railworks

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-railworks/17-2557/

For some reason, that didn't occur to me to check. Gracias.

Sweet Christ.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Sweet Christ.

Eh, at least I've got a new connection. Won't take me that long this time, and hardly dents my download cap.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

That was the image they used last year, no clue why they used it again this year, assuming someone screwed up.
    Really you guys should just let it go, someone fucked up, shit happens, a game was on sale for a bit cheaper than it was meant to be then they corrected it.

If you are really that hard up for a really cheap witcher, I guarentee you, you can find it in a brick and mortar store for far cheaper than on steam.

Morkath on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

That was the image they used last year, no clue why they used it again this year, assuming someone screwed up.
    Really you guys should just let it go, someone fucked up, shit happens, a game was on sale for a bit cheaper than it was meant to be then they corrected it.

If you are really that hard up for a really cheap witcher, I guarentee you, you can find it in a brick and mortar store for far cheaper than on steam.

You assume there are Witcher copies in brick and mortar shops.

In my experience, at least around my area that is a rather wrong assumption :P.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drascin wrote: »

Are Amazon and the like not feasible?

Every day of the Steam sale, I was checking the daily deals against hard copies on online stores - if a game was 50% off (a la Metro 2033) it was usually cheaper to order a hard copy (and in that instance, had a free copy of Red Faction Guerilla with it too). Even at 75% off, plenty of games were at a similar price there. Old copies of the Witcher (pre massive patch) are dirt cheap online, and can be patched into the newest version - or you can get a nice big box with physical versions of all the goodies for less than the normal Steam copy.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can someone confirm for me that the entirety of Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter if free to play this weekend? As I understand it is is multiplayer/coop/single player

LewieP on
  • Options
    KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I got a free copy of The Secret of Monkey Island with Monkey Island 2, and I have noone to gift it to.

Anyone interested?

Karuwen on
    Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Can someone confirm for me that the entirety of Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter if free to play this weekend? As I understand it is is multiplayer/coop/single player

Confirmed. Croteam / marketing screwed up, so as repayment they're making the whole thing free for the weekend.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Karuwen wrote: »
    So I got a free copy of The Secret of Monkey Island with Monkey Island 2, and I have noone to gift it to.

Anyone interested?

It's really cool that they let you do that. I grabbed it on the holiday sale for $2.49 or something silly, but I think you're going to make someone very happy with that.

Jazz on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

Are Amazon and the like not feasible?

Every day of the Steam sale, I was checking the daily deals against hard copies on online stores - if a game was 50% off (a la Metro 2033) it was usually cheaper to order a hard copy (and in that instance, had a free copy of Red Faction Guerilla with it too). Even at 75% off, plenty of games were at a similar price there. Old copies of the Witcher (pre massive patch) are dirt cheap online, and can be patched into the newest version - or you can get a nice big box with physical versions of all the goodies for less than the normal Steam copy.

I'm still surprised from time to time when I remember to check elsewhere for games, but to be perfectly honest, it takes an insane discount to get me to buy something not on Steam. My games library has grown so much that the convenience of having everything digitally stored in a single location is just too much to pass up.

rndmhero on