As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 7-8-10: Oh, Poo

• BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, Daredevil's my favorite character, so... yeah. This was a good week for me. Shadowland #1 was one giant MOTW.

BostonGangler on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The entire bullseye opener scene in shadowlands, all I could think about was " oh man Solar's gonna cry"

Why, what happened.

Solar on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couple panel's of
    Bullseye talking about Sentry's coming back, you 're all doomed!! hahaha, I know a sekret!

then shortly after
    Naw, Psyche, He's dead!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grrrrrr.

Wildcat on
    edited July 2010
    RAGE.

Solar on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    RAGE.

Yeah, the misuse of apostrophes really grinds my gears too.

I will hopefully get to the comic store today or tomorrow. I should have an issue of Punisher, an issue of Orc Stain, and two issues of King City to read and post about and talk to myself about.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey Douglas, Officer Downe comes out next week. Tell your shop to reserve you that shit.

Munch on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh my god munch

is that a book made just for me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Hey Douglas, Officer Downe comes out next week. Tell your shop to reserve you that shit.

man sweet! Thanks. :)

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    So, I went into my comic store and bought Moon Knight, Thor and the Warriors Four and Thor: The Mighty Avenger, all of which were cool, especially Thor and the Warriors Four which was awesome (and the Mighty Avenger looks like it could become really great really quick).

But a friend of mind had bought Shadowlands and Batman. Shadowlands makes me even more determined to get through my Daredevil Trades because that was really badass and Bullseye finally got what was coming to him. But Batman? Fucking awesome. The scans aready posted on here of Damien taking the Joker apart were just great. And so for the first time ever my Moment of the Week is from a DC comic. Plenty of competition from Thor and the Warriors Four though, Alex Power lifting Mjolnir was a great moment.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    Double post.

Solar on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I went into my comic store and bought Moon Knight, Thor and the Warriors Four and Thor: The Mighty Avenger, all of which were cool, especially Thor and the Warriors Four which was awesome (and the Mighty Avenger looks like it could become really great really quick).

But a friend of mind had bought Shadowlands and Batman. Shadowlands makes me even more determined to get through my Daredevil Trades because that was really badass and Bullseye finally got what was coming to him. But Batman? Fucking awesome. The scans aready posted on here of Damien taking the Joker apart were just great. And so for the first time ever my Moment of the Week is from a DC comic. Plenty of competition from Thor and the Warriors Four though, Alex Power lifting Mjolnir was a great moment.

Aw, you're just saying Bullseye got what he deserved because he teased you about the Sentry.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too right, that bitch.

Wildcat on
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Aw, you're just saying Bullseye got what he deserved because he teased you about the Sentry.

Pretty much. Though I do feel that the whole reaction to daredevil offing him seems very strange and almost forced. Bullseye was a reprhensible psychopath who needed putting down, and if a cop had shot him or something then there would be no problem. Honestly I fully support Matt in what he did.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    But if a cop shot Bullseye, there would be an investigation to ensure the shooting was justified.

(I haven't read Shadowland, I'm trade waiting it. So if I don't have all the details, please forgive me.)

Some heroes (Captain America(s), Falcon, Wolverine) are allowed to kill on a regular basis and its still ok to be pals with them. Daredevil kills for the first time and its a big deal... You would think Spider-man, Iron Fist, etc would not hang with Cap and Wolverine because of their mass killings.

cshadow42 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    From reading Shadowland, Cap is content to let Daredevil run Shadowland even if it is technically against the law as long as, when Cap decrees otherwise, he then tears it down. Cap is a goose, plain and simple, the biggest, floppiest goose in the MU and he genuinely thinks he is the law, they apply all kinds of standards and expect nothing from themselves. In that Avengers Children Crusade, Wiccan says he doesn't want to be tested and monitored, leaves and so Cap just goes to his parents instead to force him to come.

And Wolverine massacres people on an hourly basis.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    But if a cop shot Bullseye, there would be an investigation to ensure the shooting was justified.

(I haven't read Shadowland, I'm trade waiting it. So if I don't have all the details, please forgive me.)

Some heroes (Captain America(s), Falcon, Wolverine) are allowed to kill on a regular basis and its still ok to be pals with them. Daredevil kills for the first time and its a big deal... You would think Spider-man, Iron Fist, etc would not hang with Cap and Wolverine because of their mass killings.

I pretty much think it's justified with Bullseye. He's one of the most dangerous and unstable non-powered operators in the world and he's literally killed hundreds of people. But yeah, Wolverine gets away with it all the time. I don't think either Captain America's have really killed when wielding the shield after the war, though I'm not massively with the Cap books lately. And it's not like Iron Fist to get all up in arms about killing anyway, Orson Randall was shooting the shit out of Hydra dudes and some of the Immortal weapons were literally cutting them to pieces and he had no problem with that.

Solar on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

I pretty much think it's justified with Bullseye. He's one of the most dangerous and unstable non-powered operators in the world and he's literally killed hundreds of people. But yeah, Wolverine gets away with it all the time. I don't think either Captain America's have really killed when wielding the shield after the war, though I'm not massively with the Cap books lately.

They all participated in the murder of Sentry, whether it was justified or not.

DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bucky can't even tell the Avengers team to stop messing up his loft when they were living there. I mean, they never did the dishes, Wolverine was always passed out, maybe he needs a robot spine to match his arm (cool thing was in the Pet Avengers special, when Thor, Tony, and Bucky turn into frogs Bucky still has a robot arm).

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010

I pretty much think it's justified with Bullseye. He's one of the most dangerous and unstable non-powered operators in the world and he's literally killed hundreds of people. But yeah, Wolverine gets away with it all the time. I don't think either Captain America's have really killed when wielding the shield after the war, though I'm not massively with the Cap books lately.

They all participated in the murder of Sentry, whether it was justified or not.

Yes, yes they did.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    But of course, Bullseye is going to be brought back soon via Hand rituals.

What I'm kind of curious about is what the new status quo is going to be for Kraven. He gave a statement in this week's ASM that he was now "Cursed with eternal unlife" or something to that extent.

Ah....comic book death...

I could totally write some cool fan fiction that gives a decent rationale for the non-permanence of death in the MU.

cshadow42 on
    edited July 2010
    I would just say it's the universe realizing these certain people have done so much to save billions of people, it just kind of turns a blind eye in the graveyard.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    Mmm...not exactly what I had in mind. I was envisioning a sort of "Tournament of Souls", in which every year or so a group of souls in Death's realm compete to return to life. Each contestant would have to face a series of challenges that tests their soul/sins. And the finalists would each have to choose something to sacrifice in order to return to life.

Of course, the all-time champion would be Doom.

cshadow42 on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, this whole Shadowlands thing...the way Cap is talking with the others about maintaining order, instability in the power vaccuum, yadda yadda...it sounds a lot less like heroes and more like rulers. For a very, very long time I've wanted to come across a story that effectively deals with a hero's power in a real(ish) world, and how someone can effectively end up running a city or more than that merely by their popularity and their superpowers...

Somehow I strongly doubt Marvel would address this anytime soon, but it bugs me the way the event is being discussed in the Avengers Tower. The Avengers basically own New York, but want to act like they don't.

Linespider5 on
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, this whole Shadowlands thing...the way Cap is talking with the others about maintaining order, instability in the power vaccuum, yadda yadda...it sounds a lot less like heroes and more like rulers. For a very, very long time I've wanted to come across a story that effectively deals with a hero's power in a real(ish) world, and how someone can effectively end up running a city or more than that merely by their popularity and their superpowers...

Somehow I strongly doubt Marvel would address this anytime soon, but it bugs me the way the event is being discussed in the Avengers Tower. The Avengers basically own New York, but want to act like they don't.

You should check our Ex Machina.

cshadow42 on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You should check our Ex Machina.

I'm gonna have to get back to you on this.

Linespider5 on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mmm...not exactly what I had in mind. I was envisioning a sort of "Tournament of Souls", in which every year or so a group of souls in Death's realm compete to return to life. Each contestant would have to face a series of challenges that tests their soul/sins. And the finalists would each have to choose something to sacrifice in order to return to life.

Of course, the all-time champion would be Doom.

I preferred the Incredible Herc explanation

That they're just shit hot on the slot machines.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thor - The Mighty Avenger was wonderful.

I like this version of Thor. Look how charming he is. He pushed all the right buttons to get Jane Foster to do exactly what he wants. By the way, what exactly is going on in this comic? Is it a What If universe? Retcon? Reboot?

TeaSpoon on
    edited July 2010
    its his first days on earth being paired with Blake, I believe.

TexiKen on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I could have sworn I read it was just an alternate retelling of Thor. like an Ultimate Thor or What If? type deal.

KVW on
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was like iron man legacy, in continuity but never before seen old adventures. Marvel didn't do a good job then explaining it.

TexiKen on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't Jane Foster supposed to be a nurse or something when she first met Thor?

TeaSpoon on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I pretty much think it's justified with Bullseye. He's one of the most dangerous and unstable non-powered operators in the world and he's literally killed hundreds of people. But yeah, Wolverine gets away with it all the time. I don't think either Captain America's have really killed when wielding the shield after the war, though I'm not massively with the Cap books lately. And it's not like Iron Fist to get all up in arms about killing anyway, Orson Randall was shooting the shit out of Hydra dudes and some of the Immortal weapons were literally cutting them to pieces and he had no problem with that.

Danny is a white dude hanging out with a bunch of Mystical Asian dudes from cities beyond the Earth. You think he's going to say shit about their proud ethnic folkways.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think danny and luke are just concerned about their friend. You know, the former lawyer/super hero that is now leading one of the largest terrorist/ninja assassin organizations in the world, is dressing in head to toe all black, built a prison complex in downtown New York, is implicated in the abduction of several police officers and linked to missing drug dealers and other criminal elements and just sent an army of Hand ninja to kill Bullseye and, when they failed, walked up and straight up murdered Bullseye int he span of liek 10 seconds while telling them to pledge allegience to the Hand or fuck off.

But they could be most upset about him killing someone. That's a possibility, too.

KVW on
  • RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Red Robin 14. Tim Drake fights Damien Wayne.
    "You lost the second I started trying." Oh, Tim. You can save me anytime.

RAGE. on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    I think danny and luke are just concerned about their friend. You know, the former lawyer/super hero that is now leading one of the largest terrorist/ninja assassin organizations in the world, is dressing in head to toe all black, built a prison complex in downtown New York, is implicated in the abduction of several police officers and linked to missing drug dealers and other criminal elements and just sent an army of Hand ninja to kill Bullseye and, when they failed, walked up and straight up murdered Bullseye int he span of liek 10 seconds while telling them to pledge allegience to the Hand or fuck off.

But they could be most upset about him killing someone. That's a possibility, too.

MADNESS! We need another page of people throwing around vaguely remembered not-facts and wild accusations of mischaracterization before we can reach any kind of a conclusion.

Or we could all pound nails into our dicks. That would be about the same.

Furu on
    edited July 2010
    Darkstar & the Winter Guard #2 was a good read as well, even with the Presence being a part of it (and the Presence sucks, it's a universal truth). Gallaher and Ellis do a very good by the books story, throw in a Rocky IV reference, and have some fun with other areas of Marvel history.

A good read, and I find myself liking these smaller mini series Marvel is putting out much more than their regular ongoing work. It's almost as if the smaller books are really trying to get you to read them, so they're done with a lot more care and consideration than ongoings.

It is overseen by Mark Panniccia, who is one of the better Marvel editors too, it just reads like no one in the production line is resting on their laurels and actually looked through some Marvel history and did their work than just act like an editor that knows everything about Marvel History.

I think it was Spookymuffin who recommended picking it up originally, mad props, yo.

TexiKen on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually yeah I should grab that. I read the earlier one-shot, and I liked that most of the Guard were just a sequence of heroes picking up as everyone kept dying.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the best moment of Shadowland was Murdock asking Danny and Luke if they would pledge allegiance to the hand. That was the moment you knew things were fucked with him.

Also x-force this week was intense. It was amazing almost beginning to end. Bastion's speech was fucking awesome, and that fight was just crazy. Many HOLY SHIT! moments.

I really like Hope's power.
    It's like this crazy over the top mimic thing.

Sharp101 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doom Patrol #12; Elasti-Woman fights the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man.
    1214h10.jpg

So apparently Elasti-Woman's kind of like Plastic Man, in that she can't really be physically harmed. That's pretty neat, and really makes her seem much more powerful.

Munch on