As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Odd Xbox 360 Issue

LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
A little while ago I picked myself up the new Xbox 360 Slim. Everything was working fine, except on one occasion when I booted up the thing it stayed at the main logo screen for a couple minutes before going into the dashboard.

Since then, I haven't run into that issue - until now.

On boot up, it'll stick on the logo/splash screen for a little while, before booting into the dashboard. I tied booting up Dragon Age, it sat at a black screen for a good minute at least then finally popped up with the "Would you like to update?" option.

I've never seen slow down like this before, has this happened to anyone else with the new consoles? Anyone know what the shit this might be?

And oh, upon trying to exit the game, the console hangs for 15-30 seconds now too it seems.

Loathing on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    get it serviced. you've got a bum unit.

Dehumanized on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    get it serviced. you've got a bum unit.

Return it for a new one. It should still be within the return period, even if you bought it on release day.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not sure if I can return it for a new one. Bought it at Best Buy, and I don't have the receipt anymore. I will give Microsoft a call though to see if these issues are covered underneath their warranty, plus my visa gives me an extra year of warranty as well so I could look into that if all else fails.

Loathing on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    Not sure if I can return it for a new one. Bought it at Best Buy, and I don't have the receipt anymore. I will give Microsoft a call though to see if these issues are covered underneath their warranty, plus my visa gives me an extra year of warranty as well so I could look into that if all else fails.

Man, you bought this thing two or three weeks ago.

First of all, why would you get rid of the receipt? Second, you should still be able to get it exchanged.

Figgy on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

First of all, why would you get rid of the receipt? Second, you should still be able to get it exchanged.

If you bought it with a credit card, they can print you a new receipt from their computers.

Unless you bought an assload of DLC in the last couple of weeks, just return it to the store and get a new one. Sending it to MS means you won't have it for 2-4 weeks. So you're better off at this early date swapping it at the store unless the store doesn't have any and won't get any for a while.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010

If you bought it with a credit card, they can print you a new receipt from their computers.

Unless you bought an assload of DLC in the last couple of weeks, just return it to the store and get a new one. Sending it to MS means you won't have it for 2-4 weeks. So you're better off at this early date swapping it at the store unless the store doesn't have any and won't get any for a while.

And most warranty claims won't get you a new unit, whereas returning it will.

Figgy on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Given the DLC licensing issues, getting a warranty repair is essentially the same as getting a new unit.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010
    Well, I only purchased this about two weeks ago and yes, did use my visa to buy it. Receipts usually get tidied up and tossed out around here, so that's why that's gone along with the fact that I've never actually had to return or exchange anything ever oddly enough.

That aside, if they can look it up at the store then great. I'll head over at some point this week to give it a try.

Another concern I have, is that once I got the new Slim hooked up I transferred all my licenses over to it from my Elite. I know on the xbox site you can only do license transfers once a year, so if they give me a new unit what issues would I run into? Would all my DLC not work?

Loathing on
    edited July 2010
    They'll work, but you'll have to remain connected to XBL. If you send it back to MS instead of exchange at the store, MS is supposed to swap the licenses for you. But their record for doing that is pretty spotty. You'd end up having to call them and try to convince them that the switch was never actually made. And they'll try to convince you to use the online tool...

If you're always online, then it probably won't matter much unless you lose access to the internets. You could just wait out the year and do it again manually. But sending it in means that MS has to (whether or not they actually do it) switch it themselves even if you've already done it within the last 12 months.

EDIT:
    Any new stuff you buy after getting the new system will work without hassle. Just to be fully clear.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010

Given the DLC licensing issues, getting a warranty repair is essentially the same as getting a new unit.

What I'm saying is you'd rather have a brand new unit from the store than get a warranty replacement, if only for your own peace of mind.

Figgy on
    edited July 2010
    That aside, if they can look it up at the store then great. I'll head over at some point this week to give it a try.

Do it as soon as you possibly can. The sooner the better.

If you wait too long, you'll be out of the return/exchange period and they won't do anything for you at the store.

Figgy on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can do an online license transfer on the 360 website now.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Wassermelone on
    edited July 2010
    The online license transfer lets you do it only once a year. Once you transfer your license from your old xbox to your new xbox, it'll display a page saying "Next available license transfer on: 20xx/xx/xx" which will be one year away from the day you did the transfer on.

I called up the Best Buy where I bought the system at, and even though I purchased it with a visa they can't look up the receipt. Something about not keeping the information in their system because of privacy laws - unless I bought the extended warranty plan from the store itself.

So uh, I guess I get to call Microsoft now? Even if it's shipped off for a few weeks to get repair or whatever, I still have my old Elite to use.

Loathing on
    edited July 2010

What I'm saying is you'd rather have a brand new unit from the store than get a warranty replacement, if only for your own peace of mind.

That's like recommending to people they shouldn't leave their unit on for more than five hours or it might Red Ring (or not, as the new ones won't show it...). MS warranty replacements will ultimately have the same failure rate as whole new models.

Essentially they swap out the motherboard and send back the unit in the same case. In some instances, they'll just send a whole new unit anyway. At this point, it's probably better to return it to the store given that the unit is so new. But the DLC DRM hassle adds a new component. Sending it to MS is supposed to make that less of an issue in theory. But swapping it at the store means MS doesn't have to do anything at all.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010
    The online license transfer lets you do it only once a year. Once you transfer your license from your old xbox to your new xbox, it'll display a page saying "Next available license transfer on: 20xx/xx/xx" which will be one year away from the day you did the transfer on.

I called up the Best Buy where I bought the system at, and even though I purchased it with a visa they can't look up the receipt. Something about not keeping the information in their system because of privacy laws - unless I bought the extended warranty plan from the store itself.

So uh, I guess I get to call Microsoft now? Even if it's shipped off for a few weeks to get repair or whatever, I still have my old Elite to use.

You called them? Yeah, that's bullshit. You have to go into the store. I've done this exact thing, and unless they've changed their policy, they can do this. What they essentially just told you was 'You need to RMA something? Too fucking bad!'

Oh, and as a tip for the future: when you buy electronics, keep both the box and packing that it came in and keep the receipt in that box. This way if you move, you can safely pack the unit in a box designed for moving and shipping. And you'll always know where the receipt is. (Does not apply to extremely large items like TVs. In that case, keep a folder with relevant purchase information.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010

That's like recommending to people they shouldn't leave their unit on for more than five hours or it might Red Ring (or not, as the new ones won't show it...). MS warranty replacements will ultimately have the same failure rate as whole new models.

Essentially they swap out the motherboard and send back the unit in the same case. In some instances, they'll just send a whole new unit anyway. At this point, it's probably better to return it to the store given that the unit is so new. But the DLC DRM hassle adds a new component. Sending it to MS is supposed to make that less of an issue in theory. But swapping it at the store means MS doesn't have to do anything at all.

So you'd rather send away a brand new unit and wait for weeks to get a refurb than walk into Bestbuy and walk out with a new unit?

Warranty replacements are rarely new units. They are almost always refurbs, and that goes for any company I've ever dealt with (RIM, Microsoft, etc.) The age of your unit has nothing to do with what they send you back. They don't care when you bought it.

And the DLC hassle will be there no matter which route he takes.

Figgy on
    edited July 2010
    Just got off the phone with Microsoft now and they haven't heard of any issue like this popping up yet - not really surprising as its only been a couple weeks since launch. Anyways, I mentioned to the customer support person what the Best Buy guy told me, and even they said they were full of shit and to just take the thing back to the store.

Ironically enough, I do have all the packaging for the unit just not the receipt. Earliest I can head over is Wednesday so I'll be doing it then. Microsoft said they would just take old faulty unit off my registered list, and put the new one on once I got it and manually transfer over all the licenses.

Loathing on
    edited July 2010

So you'd rather send away a brand new unit and wait for weeks to get a refurb than walk into Bestbuy and walk out with a new unit?

Warranty replacements are rarely new units. They are almost always refurbs, and that goes for any company I've ever dealt with (RIM, Microsoft, etc.) The age of your unit has nothing to do with what they send you back. They don't care when you bought it.

And the DLC hassle will be there no matter which route he takes.

Yes, that is precisely what I said. You know, other than actually saying that this early in the timeline he's probably still better off just swapping it with Best Buy...

I sent back a 360. The first time, it was a new system ID in the old case (it had the exact same serial number). The second time, it was a totally new system (including a new serial number with a manufacture date mere weeks before they shipped it). The second time, they didn't even bother with a repair and just sent the new unit. I got it in half the time as the first instance.

And saying 'rarely' and 'almost always refurbs' as if that somehow means I'm wrong and still insisting to swap at the store is spreading the same bullshit paranoia that 360s aren't worth the material they're made with.

Loathing, the MS rep is right. This early, you're better off going back to the store and using the standard 90 day warranty (or however long it is). The only drawback is that you already did the manual DRM transfer. So that means you're somewhat screwed for the next year. But so long as you always remain connected to XBL (or don't care about DLC when you're not), you won't hardly notice it.

I would probably send it in to MS anyway if Best Buy can't replace it for another two weeks (due to a delay in shipment or whatever) since sending it in would take about a month, losing an extra two weeks isn't the worse thing in the world. Not with having the Elite, as you say. Plus, you can force MS to transfer the DRM. But if you don't really care about that, then take it back to the store.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010
    I'll try the Best Buy route first this week - not through personal experience, but through friends and family I've learned that the customer service department just wants to get exchanges done and over with when face to face with the customer while on the phone they usually just bullshit you.

If that doesn't work, I'll go the Microsoft route. The Microsoft Rep already said they'd be able to do a manual transfer of all my licenses themselves, if the online route doesn't work (since I used it a couple weeks back anyways).

Loathing on
    edited July 2010
    I don't quite understand what you're disagreeing with.

I'm saying he's better off replacing it at the store, and you're arguing with me. Then you agree. Then you argue more.

The only reason I'm "insisting" he swap it at the store instead is because it's weeks old and he got a dud. With any other item, you'd return it to place of purchase for a replacement. With 360s, it's somehow spreading paranoia? I don't care how big your boner is for Microsoft, a new unit is better than a refurbished one because it is new. It's not a statement as to the quality or reliability of the console. It's a statement that if a store sells you something defective and you're still within the return period, you fucking return it.

I guess you're the kind of guy who listens to those inserts that say "Do not return this to place of purchase." That statement does not have your convenience in mind.

Even if Bestbuy says there are none in stock, you tell them to call around to neighboring cities to find you a console. Besides, Loathing lives in Kingston and they have them in stock there.

Figgy on
    edited July 2010
    With 360s it's spreading paranoia because it's a common belief that they break. Easily. Stating that for 'piece of mind' somebody should just get a whole, brand new console is suggesting that returning it to MS for warranty repair is a bad thing.

That you think I have a boner for MS or blindly follow instructions is a fucking silly goose thing to believe or say. Watch yourself. Loathing will be trying to return it to Best Buy since it's within the limited return warranty period. This is a reasonable course of action and I support this decision. But don't fucking say or suggest that sending it to MS is somehow worse. What's next? Berating somebody for not buying an extended warranty from the store for 'piece of mind' ten months and six days from now?

By the way, what I, or anybody else, deems 'their convenience', is not always the same thing you find convenient. Some people have other priorities than to care deeply about where to send something that's broken for repair or replacement.

All I did was lay out the options. If he hadn't already transferred the DLC, I'd have wholly embraced the return to store idea. However, since the transfer takes place, it might (for Loathing) be worth the hassle to have to deal with MS to, in the end, ensure that the licenses are transferred to the new new 360. But that depends on whether or not they play offline a bunch or not. Or even how much DLC they have.

He's going to have to wait a year before he can re-transfer. By sending it in, he can get MS to do it for him. I believe it's probably not worth the ultimate hassle, but I'm not going to assume that Loathing will feel the same. I am not any more right than you, but I'm also not as closed off to the alternatives in this situation either.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2010
    I'll try the Best Buy route first this week - not through personal experience, but through friends and family I've learned that the customer service department just wants to get exchanges done and over with when face to face with the customer while on the phone they usually just bullshit you.

If that doesn't work, I'll go the Microsoft route. The Microsoft Rep already said they'd be able to do a manual transfer of all my licenses themselves, if the online route doesn't work (since I used it a couple weeks back anyways).

The last time I had to send in my 360, I of course needed to get them to transfer the licenses. (I could've waited a few weeks, but it was the principle of the thing...) The dude I spoke to tried to walk me through the manual transfer website... It took some time before I could convince the outsourced phone guy of what my situation was and that it needed to be escalated.

Eventually it was 'resolved' after a week or two. (They called back, this time from NA, ran a few steps, and called back again later.) I say 'resolved' only that I'm not sure it was done 100%. I've noticed some weird things once or twice since then. But I'm always online when I play, so it's not an ultimately big deal to me. And I have a petty reason for not playing offline, so it's just a matter of me caring enough to go to the manual website to check and see if the licenses did indeed transfer.

They would include a sheet of paper saying they did the transfer, but it's not always so. So yeah, sending it back to MS may include a bunch of extra steps. Just so you are aware.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have two simple pieces of advise, the first is that you should make sure your talking to a manager or whoever is the most senior person at the returns department, I work in retail and let me tell you some of the BS some clerks say just to get people to shut up and go away is astounding. If they can not give you the receipt info ask who can, the information exists somewhere in some computer and there IS a way to access it, receipts get lost ALL THE TIME its not like a once in a lifetime miracle. Ask for a corporate customer service number or baring that the number of the district manager or whoever is above the store in the chain of command. Also go in person not over the phone, most places wont say anything to you over the phone they will need you to be there, with your x-box, with everything, then you might be able to walk out with a new one.

Don't be a silly goose when there, but do be firm and demanding. If you make your goals and expectations clear, in person, your much more likely to get a result.

Oh and make sure you know when you bought it not just the credit card, if you have a credit card statement or something to that degree some retailers can use that.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited July 2010
    With 360s it's spreading paranoia because it's a common belief that they break. Easily. Stating that for 'piece of mind' somebody should just get a whole, brand new console is suggesting that returning it to MS for warranty repair is a bad thing.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm saying if the option exists to simply walk out of a store with a brand new unit in its original packaging, that is a better solution than sending it to Microsoft and possibly getting a refurbished unit.

If you're out of the exchange period, then certainly send it away for repairs. That's what you would do with any other piece of electronics.

If you ordered a hard drive and it went dead after two weeks, would you send it away to Western Digital for repair or simply RMA it and get a brand new one? That's all I'm saying.

Figgy on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Best Buy was deceiving you, if they were telling you they could not reprint card receipts at all. They probably just can't reprint one of those receipts for an unidentified party standing in front of them.

Every merchant who accepts payment by Visa/Mastercard can be required to provide a copy of their sales draft using a formal process called a sales draft request. If you go to your bank and ask them to request a copy of the sales draft for that sale, they can do so. The merchant (Best Buy) can certainly stall for up to 30 days, but they must eventually provide a copy of that sales draft back to the bank who issued your card, and your bank will then provide that copy to you.

A merchant's failure to respond to a sales draft request could be used as a reason to reverse the charge and take the sale funds back from the merchant, so a large retailer like Best Buy must certainly have a process in place for handling retrieval requests.

More importantly, because that process exists you can tell a Best Buy manager that unless he produces a copy of that sales draft you will go to your issuing bank and do that. (Note that your bank might charge you $10 or so for it, to try to discourage unnecessary retrieval requests.) That might encourage cooperation.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited July 2010
    I don't think any of this is going to be necessary.

Just take everything into the store, along with your credit card bill.

"Hi, I bought this a few weeks ago and it doesn't work properly. I'd like to exchange it. I don't have a receipt, but I have my credit card bill. I understand the transaction will still be in your computer. Here is the date of purchase.."

Anything other than that and I would be pretty surprised.

Figgy on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed, Figgy's right. All that stuff I said is just something to know, maybe to keep in your back pocket in the unlikely event they give you grief.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited July 2010
    No, I actually didn't know anything about that mspencer so I'll definitely keep it in mind. As I said, I've never actually had anything break on me that needed replacing at the store or warranty work so it's a bit of a pain since it's the first time I'm doing this.

I can easily print out my visa statement, the only thing I noticed is that on the statement it says the purchase was on June 28th, which was a Monday when I actually made the purchase on the 26th which was Saturday. All it is is the online update period of when the transaction showed up (since it never does on weekends) would Best Buy try to start something over that two day difference?

Loathing on
    edited July 2010
    Maybe. Only if it means they want to be extra special geese about it and not having to take back the item. But it's not even the 26th of July yet.

mspencer provides good info, but I really doubt it'll come to that. Unless that store has been told for some reason to cut back on returns, you really shouldn't have any problems exchanging it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • dreamkatcherdreamkatcher Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I'll advice don't send it for repair.. you will not be sure if the one you send is also the one will come back. But if there is no other way then make it sure it safe..

dreamkatcher on
    Xbox 360 Help Online
    D:The Cutting Edge Information About Your Xbox 360D:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]