As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tour de [chat]

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    what have they done that bothers you? the only thing I know of that people hated is the realid stuff, and they have directly responded to customer criticism by changing the degree to which it's forced on you... in that it isn't.

I just want to have as many people to play with as possible.

There was a pretty good article, I think on TeamLiquid, about the Activision management basically trying to ruthlessly monetize everything. Basically, going from the "Patching Diablo 2 forever for free" Blizzard that we all love towards to more recent "WoW has taught us to psychologically manipulate our player base into paying extra money for realm transfers or name changes or shinies"

Not looking forward to what they'll try to pull with SC2, and pretty disappointed with what they've already announced. Stuff like region locked accounts (international players will need multiple copies to play in US tournaments) and no LAN just make me keep an eye out for the pirate server/community.

TL DR on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    realid bothers me on a fundamental level

It bothers me that they are even ok with it existing as a thing

It's fundamentally backwards. Identity verification and accountability should exist on the back end, with anonymity on the front end. They're doing it the other way around. It punishes honest people but doesn't actually fix any problems.

Fixing problems wasn't the intent.

Right, the intent was some Facebook integration bullshit.

Which makes it even worse.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    realid bothers me on a fundamental level

It bothers me that they are even ok with it existing as a thing

It's fundamentally backwards. Identity verification and accountability should exist on the back end, with anonymity on the front end. They're doing it the other way around. It punishes honest people but doesn't actually fix any problems.

Fixing problems wasn't the intent.

Right, the intent was some Facebook integration bullshit.

Which makes it even worse.

Yyyyyyep

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stuff like region locked accounts (international players will need multiple copies to play in US tournaments) and no LAN just make me keep an eye out for the pirate server/community.

<3

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also people tend to forget that is what making alternative b.net account is for. Just don't put it on account with your real name. Make a new account. I mean it isn't that hard.

I think the realid idea is pretty idiotic, especially how it was implemented. The part of the beta where you had to use it though, Blizzard said it was to test out the system and the facebook integration. You know, testing in a beta test. But it was never staying that way.

I understand you want to protest the idea with your money. Cool, just don't complain if we all come in saying how awesome the game is in single player or even stuff that comes out for the multiplayer.

Yeah but I don't particularly care for the game either

I'm bad at it

I'll only play for the multi

I'll only play with friends

Friends functions are borked and tied into system I find ethically unconscionable

oh hey, not getting the game

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Realid was a stupid idea produced in a boardroom some where, be it Blizzard or Activision and thrust down upon the rest of the company. And mostly because facebook integration=big bucks. And because someone who probably is six degrees removed from the actual community and products that are produced by Blizzard thought it would make things run better.

But it leaves me three choices about a game I have been looking forward to for a long time. Don't buy it at all and thus missing out on the experience, pirating(funny that they were removing lan to stop stuff like that) or purchasing the game and putting up with the stupid.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I understand your choice, Elldren.

"Very private person who is not all about Actions Per Minute" is probably not their target market.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Tomato and extra onion is really good with egg salad sammiches. And provolone.

I also like brown mustard sometimes.

Provolone, really? I wouldn't have thought cheese. Not melted though right?

I don't like peppers, onions, or tomatoes (though I can deal with tomatoes).

How do you think an egg salad hero with bacon, provolone, salt, and black pepper would be?

Not melted.

Bacon/Prov/s+p sounds like it would be good. Maybe with green leaf lettuce or spinach to help add more texture with the fattiness of the bacon and eggs.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what have they done that bothers you? the only thing I know of that people hated is the realid stuff, and they have directly responded to customer criticism by changing the degree to which it's forced on you... in that it isn't.

Well, they just don't seem to give a shit what we want. They got rid of chat channels and there was some smug sneering remark when asked about it. There aren't named custom games, which is fucking irritating and would be so easy to fix. They're being heavyhanded about the realID thing and facebook integration. I get this vibe that they've decided how we should want to interact socially while playing their game and are refusing to support anything that doesn't gel with their vision, even if it would be really fucking easy to implement and has no negatives.

I guess the decision to try to make money off of the social aspect of the game seems really exploitative to me.

Edit: Oh yeah and no LAN play is really offensive to me. Want to play with your buddies without going through our online service? Too bad. Why? Cuz FUCK YOU that's why.

Edit2:
    There was a pretty good article, I think on TeamLiquid, about the Activision management basically trying to ruthlessly monetize everything. Basically, going from the "Patching Diablo 2 forever for free" Blizzard that we all love towards to more recent "WoW has taught us to psychologically manipulate our player base into paying extra money for realm transfers or name changes or shinies"

This, basically. I could tell something like this had happened and it's a bummer.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, baked crispy chicken is go!

I haven't done this recipe before, so we'll see how it turns out. :D

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also people tend to forget that is what making alternative b.net account is for. Just don't put it on account with your real name. Make a new account. I mean it isn't that hard.

I think the realid idea is pretty idiotic, especially how it was implemented. The part of the beta where you had to use it though, Blizzard said it was to test out the system and the facebook integration. You know, testing in a beta test. But it was never staying that way.

I understand you want to protest the idea with your money. Cool, just don't complain if we all come in saying how awesome the game is in single player or even stuff that comes out for the multiplayer.

Yeah but I don't particularly care for the game either

I'm bad at it

I'll only play for the multi

I'll only play with friends

Friends functions are borked and tied into system I find ethically unconscionable

oh hey, not getting the game

Yup, you play the game completely different reason than I do. I literally just played the campaigns in sc1 and maybe some custom maps online. I never played more than 25 games of actual multiplayer. And I think I played about 10 games total with friends over a lan.

But I fully understand why you won't buy it, because the game isn't really for how you want to play it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    got kinda drunk at a pub with my parents and watched the soccer match

if team spain ever wants to gang bang me

they totally can

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And seriously? No LAN play?

Now I'm super unsold on it

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well, they just don't seem to give a shit what we want. They got rid of chat channels and there was some smug sneering remark when asked about it. There aren't named custom games, which is fucking irritating and would be so easy to fix. They're being heavyhanded about the realID thing and facebook integration. I get this vibe that they've decided how we should want to interact socially while playing their game and are refusing to support anything that doesn't gel with their vision, even if it would be really fucking easy to implement and has no negatives.

I guess the decision to try to make money off of the social aspect of the game seems really exploitative to me.

Edit: Oh yeah and no LAN play is really offensive to me. Want to play with your buddies without going through our online service? Too bad. Why? Cuz FUCK YOU that's why.

Seriously? No LAN play? That's just fucking goofy.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually maybe it is just me being jaded but seeing Blizzard who was bought out by a big company doing big company asshole things isn't surprising. But maybe it is because I saw it happen with Westwood and numerous other studios who made games I like.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah you have to use battlenet.

I dunno, maybe all this will turn out to be good. Maybe some competitors will take the initiative and start making games the way blizzard used to.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The game requires a check with the BNet server for LAN. For tournaments and other events where this is impractical, you can buy a special package and a Blizzard rep will come on site and make sure you aren't breaking the rules.

TL DR on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    alright, time to get back to work

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

they totally can

but that's, like, 11 guys

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

they totally can

It might not be enough for him.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Realid was a stupid idea produced in a boardroom some where, be it Blizzard or Activision and thrust down upon the rest of the company. And mostly because facebook integration=big bucks. And because someone who probably is six degrees removed from the actual community and products that are produced by Blizzard thought it would make things run better.

bobby-kotick.jpg

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

they totally can

I worked out once that I'd need 9 people to be fully satiated at the core of a gangbang. I'm sure you could find some spare parts in those 9 for 2 more.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Vuvuzelas outside.

I will have a Blizzard rep on all my LAN parties. Hopefully he'll also act as a referee and yellow card my friends for zerg rushes.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually maybe it is just me being jaded but seeing Blizzard who was bought out by a big company doing big company asshole things isn't surprising. But maybe it is because I saw it happen with Westwood and numerous other studios who made games I like.

Yeah, but Blizzard managed to do it for such a long time

one gets used to things

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

But I fully understand why you won't buy it, because the game isn't really for how you want to play it.

It could have been, very easily, and they decided to make it not for her. What's frustrating is not that they came up with all this new friend stuff but that they took out a lot of starcraft 1 features in order to coerce players into using the new stuff.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Let's stop talking about gang bangs.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arivia, I read that as "fully saturated"

Playing too much SC2...

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lan play... seems like a very odd thing to want in this day and age

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

they totally can

I worked out once that I'd need 9 people to be fully satiated at the core of a gangbang. I'm sure you could find some spare parts in those 9 for 2 more.

Why 9?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    only 11?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

they totally can

Why 9?

One person to pay attention to each and every relevant part of you. It's quite the interesting max carrying capacity.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Saw Predators. Was pretty awesome. Mad props to topher grace and Laurence fishburne for turning their usual roles on their heads.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's actually come up a few times, just during the beta. Our internet has gone down or was just slow and we couldn't play, BNet has gone down a bunch of times, and there have been some long car rides and a stay in a hotel without wi-fi where people could have been playing SC2 but alas $HatMadeOfMoney.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

they totally can

Why 9?

3 to be airtight. 2 for her hands. 1 for her breasts. 2 for her feet. And 1 to attempt conversation?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It could have been, very easily, and they decided to make it not for her. What's frustrating is not that they came up with all this new friend stuff but that they took out a lot of starcraft 1 features in order to coerce players into using the new stuff.

Yup and they lost her business. But how much money will they make with out that category of people? More than god probably. They could of, I wish they would. Blizzard like pretty much every major company is being run by fucking assholes. They want their money and if that pisses off a small part of the community whose sales wouldn't even equal the money they are getting from facebook then they don't care.

Blizzard for a long time hasn't been the company it was. In a way the argument over this stuff is following the belief they are still the company that cares more about quality and their community more than money. Which hasn't been true since pretty much WoW took off.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lesson013.gif

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I guess I just don't understand why it surprises people. It's fun to have 5 or 6 friends over to my house, eat pizza, drink beer, and play video games. It's frustrating to have to go through an online server to do it. Starcraft 1 directly supported this kind of thing... you could install a 'spawn' on your friend's computer even if they did not have the game. It wouldn't let them play singleplayer or play multiplayer without you, but you could play the game with people who didn't own it.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One person to pay attention to each and every relevant part of you. It's quite the interesting max carrying capacity.

So... I...

I'm afraid to ask what the "relevant parts" are. D:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Why would LAN play be odd in any way, in this day and age?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

they totally can

Why 9?

3 to be airtight. 2 for her hands. 1 for her breasts. 2 for her feet. And 1 to attempt conversation?

I had one for each breast, but otherwise you're right.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.