As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Threw up after working out

suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I started working out a gym for the first time today. I was working with a trainer who pushed me really hard, I've never been so tired in my life. Anyways about 10 minutes after I was at home and I vomited. Tons. I threw up any thing in my stomach, in a projectile fashion. I haven't thrown up in years and never with such force.

I just want to know if this is normal. I had eaten a semi big plate of Vietnamese food about an hour before working which probably Wasn't smart. And if that wasn't smart what is good to eat before an intense workout?

Thanks

suicidexcuse on

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't eat anything before and intense workout. Maybe a granola bar or something.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had eaten a semi big plate of Vietnamese food about an hour before working which probably Wasn't smart.

That'll do it. Second the advice for a granola bar. If you can, work out before meal times, so when you finish your workout and your body is desperate for protein and hydration, you'll be at a normal eating time.

Lewisham on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, never eat anything before your body is about to do strenuous things (swimming, body building, etc). After you do work out, you'll have a big ol' healthy appetite. Just be sure to plan your meals around your work outs.

tardcore on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is kind of normal.
    The strain that you're not used to combined with heat around you can make people ill.

When I did double days for highschool football this would happen to a bunch of the guys. Try eating some basic pasta stuffs as your meal before your instense work outs. I don't mean right before, but like 2 to 3 hours if you need to eat.

Fellhand on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not uncommon for athletes to push their bodies so hard in training that they vomit. It happens. It's not unhealthy in its own right, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it. Stick to eating something light if you feel like you need it before your workout. Otherwise just eat after from now on.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yep, its normal from overexertion. I've thrown up a couple times when I first started working out regularly and my trainer kicking my ass.
    Eat light before you workout, thats what I do cause I need a bit of something to burn, then I have my real meal after the workout.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I eat a big bowl of oats and make sure it has been at least an hour before I work out

and then I have all the energy in the world for when I do anything

The Black Hunter on
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, when I did races and stuff like that I would eat something like a single banana for breakfast even if my race wasn't for a few hours. Being pushed to your limit will cause you to do exactly what you did if you've eaten anything substantial beforehand. Throwing up in your situation is relatively normal, especially for someone who's new to being pushed hard, though it is interesting that it happened after you were done. When it happened to me, it was during the peak of my workout when I was the most exhausted...

Anyways, I'd recommend eating a banana about an hour before you go work out. Have a decently sized glass of water with it, to make sure you're hydrated without drinking so much that you feel bloated. After the workout you can go nuts with whatever you want to eat knowing that you've earned it... one time after a 10 mile run the first thing I did when I got home was attack a can of cake frosting, and it was pretty awesome. Have fun

PS the nice thing about your pre-workout meal being a banana and water is that it really doesn't matter too much if you wait a full hour or not. You'll feel best if you do, but in the end it's not anywhere near as heavy as, say, a plate of vietnamese food, so you won't feel too much worse if it's still being digested when you start working out.

matthias00 on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a totally normal thing. I just started with a new trainer a couple of weeks ago, and I've been close to throwing up a couple of times due to the exertion and heat. Don't eat anything huge for an hour or two before your workout. Basically what everyone else has said. You should let your trainer know, as well. He'll be trying to find the correct place where you are outside your comfort zone and have to push yourself, but that shouldn't mean throwing up every workout.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As people have mentioned it could be dehydration. My friend went to an MMA training session, got pushed really hard and was queasy afterwards and ended throwing up everywhere.

Make sure you have water with you, and drink lots a LONG time before you work out. It makes a big difference.

Also Oatmeal (and I find) Bagels are great for pre-workout food.

Things to try anyway. Hope it gets better!

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • GophermasterGophermaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always assume when doing cardio, if I don't feel like puking I didn't work hard enough. During weight training once or twice on a heavy deadlift or squat day I've felt queasy.

Gophermaster on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As people have mentioned it could be dehydration. My friend went to an MMA training session, got pushed really hard and was queasy afterwards and ended throwing up everywhere.

Make sure you have water with you, and drink lots a LONG time before you work out. It makes a big difference.

Also Oatmeal (and I find) Bagels are great for pre-workout food.

Things to try anyway. Hope it gets better!

In addition to this, do not drink lots of water during or straight after the workout. Try to drink it in small amounts over time and not scull the whole thing when you're done.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it isn't all that uncommon. back when I was still studying martial arts, my sensei would put a bucket in the corner on the nights when we were going to be doing an especially difficult workout, so that people had something to wretch into when necessary.

as others have said, no big greasy meals ahead of time, but do eat something or else you'll throw up afterwards too. Something like some fruit, or granola.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I started working out a gym for the first time today. I was working with a trainer who pushed me really hard, I've never been so tired in my life. Anyways about 10 minutes after I was at home and I vomited. Tons. I threw up any thing in my stomach, in a projectile fashion. I haven't thrown up in years and never with such force.

I just want to know if this is normal. I had eaten a semi big plate of Vietnamese food about an hour before working which probably Wasn't smart. And if that wasn't smart what is good to eat before an intense workout?

Thanks

My only thought is that if this was your first time working out in a gym. Your trainer shouldn't have pushed you so hard...unless he just misjudged your level of physical fitness. You really need to ease into a workout routine...start slow and build on it. Jumping right into the deep end can cause injury and you have to at least enjoy the workout a little bit so that you stick with it...if it's torture ALL the time you won't stay with it unless you have the focus to hang in there for the benefits down the road.

I've been doing long distance running for a few years now. Quite frankly...on some level..I still hate running, but I feel so good AFTER the run..and that's what keeps me in it. Motivation/enjoyment is almost more important than the workout itself. because if you don't have it...then you won't have a workout. The bitch of it is that everyone's motivations/level of enjoyment is different so you have to find what works for you.

VoodooV on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It just means you worked out a bit too hard. It's normal and doesn't mean that you're unhealthy or anything. My friends on the water polo team would often practice so hard they puked, and every now and then when I really push myself I feel pretty nauseous. So, no worries.

NotYou on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Note to self:

No large vietnamese meals directly beofre going to the gym.

On a side note, my sister went to the gym class and the instructor pulled the whole "Come on! More intensity!" thing. She replied "I can't, I'll spew..." to which he turned to the class and yelled "Extra points if ya biff!"

So, the point is that it's actually pretty common when people exert themselves more that they're used to.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Happened to me back when I was training for my ROTC test, and a few years before that at my first basketball practice ever. Hey, the coach said he was going to run us till someone puked! My four taco lunch was happy to oblige.

I'll still get nauseous the first couple of days when I start working out again after a long break, or after ramping up the difficulty. Happens to some people. I'll ditto what the others here say - don't eat before hand, maybe take things a little more slowly at first, and keep the water intake slow but steady. Soon after the workout have something more substantial - a protein drink/bar, fruit - shower, then you'll be ready for a meal.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did the same thing when I was starting out. Especially if there was a group of girls around that I felt like I had to impress.

I actually think it's pretty important to get some fruit or snack in you about 2 hours before you work out so that you have the energy to exert yourself. What you want to avoid though is heavy greasy food.

At least 2 times that I've puked I can blame it directly on having poutine for lunch.

exmello on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The flipside is (well for me) if i go to the gym hungry, i just don't have the energy to do my usual exercise routine.

So you should eat something before working out. Just to give you the energy to get you through. I like bananas.

Karl on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's also got a lot to do with just how hard you work out. I know I have a certain limit where even if there isn't really anything in me my body will try and find something to spew. I learned that the hard way after my first fight.

Even just eating a small protein bar about 2 hours before hand... and I still spewed. So just try and stop before that point. The more you workout the further the spew point will be pushed back!

DemonStacey on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Normal with strenuous exercise... especially on a full stomach. When mountain biking, we call it "trail mix".

EDIT: Certain types of "advanced hydration drinks" make me sick. If you're using any of that stuff, drink a glass when you're not working out to see how your body reacts to it before putting it in your body when your whole system is under stress. Besides, that stuff is waaaaay too expensive to throw-up.

EDIT EDIT: Just remembered the name of the stuff - Cytomax. Worked GREAT. Made me sick about 1 to 1.5 hours after I drank it, regardless of whether I was exercising or not. <shrug>

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    The flipside is (well for me) if i go to the gym hungry, i just don't have the energy to do my usual exercise routine.

So you should eat something before working out. Just to give you the energy to get you through. I like bananas.

Its a good idea to have some "fuel" ready for working out, healthy carbohydrates about 30-50 minutes before a workout are usually great, with time and amount variations for what you're doing and how you feel. Whole wheat bagels tend to work pretty well.

For the OP, losing your lunch after a workout just means you pushed yourself too hard. Its not a common thing, and if it happens regularly you should see a doctor, but sometimes when you push your body to its limit it kind of freaks out and, well, stuff happens. I had a several hour martial arts class end in tears not because I was upset, but because my body was freaked out. Everyone wondered why I was sobbing uncontrollably while I tried to explain, in between tearful sobs, that everyone was fine I was just really tired.

Let your trainer know. There might be some cynical pride for one or both of you in it ("oh man I pushed myself so hard I threw up!) and as long as you don't run into this problem again you should be fine.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As others have said, this is normal, nothing to be too worried about.

The most important thing for you to NOT do now is let this one experience turn you off from using the gym/working out.

The first time I worked with a trainer I also hurled chunks. He gave me the same advice others did here. Eat a small portion of protein and fruit 30 minutes or more before the workout, you need the fuel. Eat a reasonable breakfast within 45 minutes after, helps the body recover.

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".