As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT: What was your very first comic?

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Never really collected comics growing up. A friend had some interesting ones, including what my memory says was Martian Manhunter. I take exception to my memory, as there wasn't much in the way of heroism going on.

The story featured 50's-era (? had 60's, but am unsure) Game-shows, rigged. Also, for some reason, said Game-shows were graphically ... fatal.

I did purchase the three or so stories making up Tempus Fugitive

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516DDUeP3lL._SS500_.jpg

as a birthday present for the same guy.

But the first comic I actually purchased for myself (though I ended up giving it to my step-father) was one of the Spider Jerusalem / Transmetropolitan; around a year ago. As much as I want to really get invested in the comic world, my computer and consoles take up a lot of my time.

Tamin on
  • Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alien vs. Predator was my first and it was also the first time Dark Horse had put them together. It was issue 2. Never read any other in that series but IMO it was way better then AVP movies.

Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think of three I think. One was a Micky Mouse where he was chasing ghosts with detectives and such. The Superboy show in the late 80s had a comic adaption. Mom got me an issue where he was fighting Metallo, and I think they were falling from a plane or something. Last, I also got an annual around the same time, Action Comics I think, where they were doing the "who is Monarch" thing, and Superman got a Green Lantern thing and it was awesome.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    large

Tach on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can accept the knights because the Transformers have probably time-travelled once or twice

but why is Shakespeare in that little window there?

Robos A Go Go on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can accept the knights because the Transformers have probably time-travelled once or twice

but why is Shakespeare in that little window there?

Transformers was adapted from one of Shakespeare's plays.

Macbeth, I think.

Brolo on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, Hamlet.

"'To be a robot or to be a truck.' That is the question."

Robos A Go Go on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, Hamlet.
    300px-BWDinobot_decision.jpg
    "'The rest... is silence."

Antimatter on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my mom used to drop my brother and i off at the comics spinner rack at the grocery store while she would go grocery shopping. i read a lot of comics this way but the first one i definitely remember buying was Superman #96

96-1.jpg

this was followed shortly by my father bringing home from a business trip the Death of Superman trade paperback. i started older than some of you, though, must have been around 11.

Rans on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Batman416.jpg

I didn't get it when it came out in the 80s (right before Batman: Year One), but somehow my parents got this comic and gave it to me.

In it, Batman and Nightwing basically argue and tell each other how emotionally hurt they are for most of the issue. You would think that would turn me off as a kid, but I found it dramatically interesting, since there was that shock of realizing how much continuity there was. Not only was there more than one Robin, one of them is grown up as a new hero, and is totally mad at Batman! It was exciting.

I didn't start collecting comics or reading regularly then, but it was probably the first one I got. I also have vague memories of one of Chuck Dixon's first Nightwing issues, and some random X-Men comic.

Lux on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd love it if anyone here could identify my first comic, because it was very exciting for a seven year old kid and inspired a lot of my comic choices in later years. It was a Superman, but Supes didn't appear for the vast majority of the comic. It opened in THE FUTUUUURE, in a time when the world had gone to hell and riot-police roamed the streets with disintegrator rays. A hobo finds Superman's suit in a box in a library and runs outside wearing it, and the riot cops try to shoot him only to find that the beams don't work on the suit. They fire until they hit him in the head, killing him and several other bystanders.

Jump forward a few more years and there are people in space arguing over the legend of Superman - whether he was man, woman, brawny or brainy or whatever. Superman has become a cultural icon, a legend of the past, and people leave plates of food for him at the table once a year.

The comic concludes with Superman himself flying down from space and sneaking into one house to eat from the extra plate, before vanishing into the sky.

Ring any bells? Would have been released around the early 90's, before '95.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not the first itself, but was browsing thru some of the origins of my collection
    ( scanner acting up, but found it yay)
    always liked this cover
    121-1.jpg

For some reason I love JJJ's pink shotgun rofl.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    one of my earliest comics was (i think) an issue superman/ batman magazine. bats runs into a vampire in the bayou, ends up defeated and sinking into the swamp. said vampire then runs into supes and kicks his ass (what with his vulnerability to magic), only for batman to save him at the last sec by hoisting her up on a stake her whilst quoting twains 'reports of my death...' line. its a badass splash page and one for the awesome moments thread if i could find it again.

i had the standard 'superman is too powerful' hate back in the day so i got a big kick of him needing batman to come save him...

in other news: innocuous thread reveals GV to be full of lurkers.

manji on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    manji wrote: »

I was just thinking that.

Solar on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I'd love it if anyone here could identify my first comic, because it was very exciting for a seven year old kid and inspired a lot of my comic choices in later years. It was a Superman, but Supes didn't appear for the vast majority of the comic. It opened in THE FUTUUUURE, in a time when the world had gone to hell and riot-police roamed the streets with disintegrator rays. A hobo finds Superman's suit in a box in a library and runs outside wearing it, and the riot cops try to shoot him only to find that the beams don't work on the suit. They fire until they hit him in the head, killing him and several other bystanders.

Jump forward a few more years and there are people in space arguing over the legend of Superman - whether he was man, woman, brawny or brainy or whatever. Superman has become a cultural icon, a legend of the past, and people leave plates of food for him at the table once a year.

The comic concludes with Superman himself flying down from space and sneaking into one house to eat from the extra plate, before vanishing into the sky.

Ring any bells? Would have been released around the early 90's, before '95.

Superman #400 (which I'll post in the 'Awesome moments' thread because it's a good way to get the taste of JMS Superman out of your mouth).

400-1.jpg

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=108559&page=49

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    manji wrote: »
    one of my earliest comics was (i think) an issue superman/ batman magazine. bats runs into a vampire in the bayou, ends up defeated and sinking into the swamp. said vampire then runs into supes and kicks his ass (what with his vulnerability to magic), only for batman to save him at the last sec by hoisting her up on a stake her whilst quoting twains 'reports of my death...' line. its a badass splash page and one for the awesome moments thread if i could find it again.

i had the standard 'superman is too powerful' hate back in the day so i got a big kick of him needing batman to come save him...

Its been a long time since I've read the issue you're describing, but I think it was this:

x4f6kp.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rans wrote: »

this was followed shortly by my father bringing home from a business trip the Death of Superman trade paperback. i started older than some of you, though, must have been around 11.

The Death of Superman is the first one I remember too!

A nerdy family friend had an absolutely massive collection of comics and since I'd started leafing through his trade he let me take that one home to complete it

Prior to that I'd never really read any comics beyond Asterix but that started a trend of me buying secondhand or borrowing or, in really rare cases such as Kingdom Come, buying copies myself

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    joe93.jpg

Which then led into this awesome series:

joe94.jpgjoe95.jpgjoe96.jpg

Then I went and got the first one:

joe1.jpg

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GI Joe was awesome, I got a lot of the back issues when I was around 10 or so. It became a thing, my Dad and I looking for back issues. It was lot of fun.

The reboots were all just cashing in on nostalgia though, for what I have read. And the original series is really, really dated.

DouglasDanger on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No love for JJJ's pink shotgun?

Heartless! All of you!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey! Your Mom has a lot of love for JJJ's pink shotgun, if you know what I mean! *

And man, that G.I Joe #1 was great. I still remember picking that up and thinking. "Hot damn! We got guys and a woman all shooting guns off at the same time with a giant freakin' tank blasting away and whoever that dude in the middle is, he just jumped, like, twenty freakin' feet in the air to avoid getting shot in back. BADASS!"

So G.I. Joe was the first series I ever collected, but not my first comic. That distinction belongs to this:
    godzilla_cover.jpg

Sure, it was #3 in a series so I didn't know what was going on, but I didn't need to. There was Godzilla and some other not-Godzillas, and they were fighting. The name of the book made easy to figure out who to root for, and a story about a buncha giant monsters running around killing each other blew my freakin' mind.

There's no way that story would have worked in novel format, and the Godzilla movies -- which I loved -- still looked like some guy in a zipper costume. This book put it all together and cemented the comics medium as unique from any other.

My Dad got it for me from a newsstand spinner rack before an airplane flight. Too bad I can't do the same for my kids. Where have all the spinners gone?

(* I mean that she appreciates artwork with unorthodox coloring decisions)

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That looks totally rockin

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Marvel's Godzilla is fantastic

You can get the whole series in the Essential Godzilla trade

buy it

but it now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, the first comic I remember getting was the Wolverine TPB with the white cover, and Wolvie fighting a bunch of ninjas.

But that wasn't published until 1995, so I had to have been reading them before that. That's the first one I remember.

"I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do isn't very nice."

Jester313 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some Beano comic I bet.

Endless_Serpents on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My very first comic was back during the first gulf war and was the issue of G.I. Joe where they introduced the SAW Viper and he gunned down a bunch of Joes in a desert ravine.
    On a mission into Trucial Abysmia, the Joe strike force sent to destroy Cobra's Terror Dromes is captured by the Crimson Twins. Misinterpreting orders from Cobra Commander to "get rid of them", the Twins believe that they are to execute the Joes but need a Viper to do the job. A Cobra S.A.W.-Viper named Robert Skelton (named in the Devil's Due series) volunteered with the promise of an extra two months pay to execute the Joe prisoners. Doc was the first to be executed by the S.A.W.-Viper, followed by Thunder, Crankcase and Heavy Metal. Lt. Falcon was able to overpower the S.A.W.-Viper and escape in a captured Rage vehicle left behind for the S.A.W.-Viper.

The S.A.W.-Viper was later able to catch up to the Joes and attempt to finish his job in killing the Joes. Joe reinforcements later met up with the survivors and destroyed the S.A.W.-Vipers vehicle and while reaching for his weapon, Duke dares him to take it, but the S.A.W.-Viper refused citing that the Joes won't kill him in cold blood, being defenseless and can't take him prisoner since the Joes were out of their jurisdiction.

When the S.A.W.-Viper returned to Cobra-occupied Benzheen, Cobra Commander is at first furious with him, but he reminds Cobra Commander that he killed more Joes then any other Viper ever. Cobra Commander relents and decides to throw the S.A.W.-Viper a party, which is later interrupted by Ninja Force, which includes Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Scarlett. By the end of the operation, Storm Shadow presents the Joe team with the S.A.W.-Viper's machine gun suggesting that he was taken care of.

Weaver on
    edited July 2010
    I have the issue right after Falcon escaped. 90s art hrrrrrgggg

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    and then after that

the orbital tank drop

Weaver on
  • NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    My very first comic was back during the first gulf war and was the issue of G.I. Joe where they introduced the SAW Viper and he gunned down a bunch of Joes in a desert ravine.
    On a mission into Trucial Abysmia, the Joe strike force sent to destroy Cobra's Terror Dromes is captured by the Crimson Twins. Misinterpreting orders from Cobra Commander to "get rid of them", the Twins believe that they are to execute the Joes but need a Viper to do the job. A Cobra S.A.W.-Viper named Robert Skelton (named in the Devil's Due series) volunteered with the promise of an extra two months pay to execute the Joe prisoners. Doc was the first to be executed by the S.A.W.-Viper, followed by Thunder, Crankcase and Heavy Metal. Lt. Falcon was able to overpower the S.A.W.-Viper and escape in a captured Rage vehicle left behind for the S.A.W.-Viper.

The S.A.W.-Viper was later able to catch up to the Joes and attempt to finish his job in killing the Joes. Joe reinforcements later met up with the survivors and destroyed the S.A.W.-Vipers vehicle and while reaching for his weapon, Duke dares him to take it, but the S.A.W.-Viper refused citing that the Joes won't kill him in cold blood, being defenseless and can't take him prisoner since the Joes were out of their jurisdiction.

When the S.A.W.-Viper returned to Cobra-occupied Benzheen, Cobra Commander is at first furious with him, but he reminds Cobra Commander that he killed more Joes then any other Viper ever. Cobra Commander relents and decides to throw the S.A.W.-Viper a party, which is later interrupted by Ninja Force, which includes Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Scarlett. By the end of the operation, Storm Shadow presents the Joe team with the S.A.W.-Viper's machine gun suggesting that he was taken care of.

Aaaghh, I've read "S.A.W.-Viper" so many times now it's lost all meaning. ALL meaning.

NODe on
    edited July 2010
    and then after that

the orbital tank drop

And that one dude was so nervous, and because he was a manly man, he was furious as hell

DouglasDanger on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The very first comic I ever got was a Batman one. My dad brought home the last issue of A Lonely Place of Dying, where Tim Drake joined up as Robin. It blew my mind that there was so much more to the Batman world than I knew. Three robins, wtf? I didn't get anymore, though, so that was pretty much my only exposure to comics until a few years ago when I started reading Walking Dead.

From Walking Dead I started to read tons of other stuff, so I still consider it my first "real" comic, even though I had read one issue of Batman twenty years earlier.

PolloDiablo on
    edited July 2010
    and then after that

the orbital tank drop

And that one dude was so nervous, and because he was a manly man, he was furious as hell

end of issue cliffhanger was "oh no our parachutes didn't hold and got ripped off!"

first page of next issue

"because they were supposed to! now to deploy our main 'chutes!"

g.i. joe is so fucking horrible

Weaver on
    edited July 2010
    no it isn't

it is radical

the only reason to not like G.I. Joe is if you also hate America

weaver

do you hate America?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Everytime someone says GI Joe is horrible, Zartan kills their best friend.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What would happen if I said GI Joe Eco-Warriors was horrible?

CyberJackal on
  • NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What would happen if I said GI Joe Eco-Warriors was horrible?

Zartan slaps your uncle.

NODe on
    edited July 2010
    no

your mom gets into a devil's threesome with tomax and xamot

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is an issue of GI Joe where Megatron thought Destro's castle was a Transformer.

I haven't read it, but I imagine Zartan wouldn't care if we thought that was horrible.

Tomanta on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first comic ever was Amazing Spider Man #400. I got it when I was seven years old, my mom bought it for me from the grocery store one day. I think that was the one where Aunt May actually died, before everything was retconned for the umpteenth time again. It was a really sad comic.

BigBear on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Everytime someone says GI Joe is horrible, Zartan kills their best friend.

What if I said I preferred Action Force, International Heroes? Who, let's face it, had a much better theme tune.

Wildcat on