As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Child Dying In Horrible Ways

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
This thread title is awfully sensationalist. I am just so excited about this game. I was acting out, and for this I apologize.

But we should totally be talking about this game that features a child dying in horrible ways!

Limbo

Limbo is a game by PlayDead Studios that is being released for the Xbox Live Arcade on July 21st. It will cost 15 U.S. dollars, which translates to 1200 Microsoft FakeBux. A few things we can discern from the trailer: it features a little boy. It has stark black and white visuals. It is unsettling.

041.jpg

The first reviews from gaming magazines are out, and the one I happen to have access to is the corporate shill of a magazine, GameInformer!
As you enter its world, it has that unusual quality of a dream that is slowly transforming itself into a nightmare.... There is no music.... Each time you think you have a grip on where you are, who is chasing you, or even the nature of the world, everything changes.... The only constant is the extreme peril.

LimboGame1.jpg

I think it will be great. Anyone else looking forward to it? Or perhaps you think it will suck balls. Tell me your opinions. I crave them

Didgeridoo on

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    looks creepy

hope its good

mensch-o-matic on
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh no that poor child

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
    edited July 2010
    it looks like the kind of game that i would immediately hate if it did not have a satisfying ending

so i wont play it til someone else finishes it and spoils it for me, i guess!

mensch-o-matic on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Giant Bomb Quicklook!

Seeing that made me want to play the game. It looks gimmicky in snippets but once you see the gameplay for a length of time you see how much they devoted to the tension and the pacing. I even love that there is no "game over" death screen, just a quick and silent fade out and a fade in to your last position.

Hoz on
  • Solid BonesSolid Bones Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    can this be not on the xbox?

can this be a PC thing?

I want it to be.

Solid Bones on
    Tea and Scrabble
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for posting that, Hoz! Interesting look at the early parts of the game, although the commentators are kind of obnoxious.

And solid Bones, I'm betting this will pull a Braid and be released on both PSN and Steam if it proves to be a hit.

Didgeridoo on
    edited July 2010
    you know what this game reminds me of a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTjVbkiF_qs

and its a pc game!

mensch-o-matic on
  • ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What the fuck is that video above me?

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game looks pretty awesome

Let's hope it's not as horribly pretentious as Braid was

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    I actually thought Braid was excellent before I read about the man who created it.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's a good game, no doubt

But reading through all those story segments that preceded each stage

My God man, stop sucking your own cock, you made a fucking Mario clone with a neat little gimmick

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    Thats what you get for playing a video game created by a philosophy major!

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    isnt braid by the a lesson is learned dude? or only the art?

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »
    What the fuck is that video above me?

Bad Game.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aw man xbox live only I hate didgeridoo

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I authorized the xbox live only move just to spite you, Wimble.

You.

And only you.

Didgeridoo on
    edited July 2010
    I knew it!!

nemesis

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No Braid is a pretty poorly written game.

I mean the subtext is kinda interesting.

But good lord putting up with that writing was horrendous.

Blake T on
    edited July 2010
    Wimble wrote: »
    I knew it!!

nemesis

19439-peter_griffin_chicken_ever_stop_fighting.jpg
    The chicken is me. I am the chicken!

Also yes, Braid is pretty damn pretentious. But if you ignore the little rooms with the exposition books, the game is very enjoyable! It is also damn gorgeous.

Didgeridoo on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    No Braid is a pretty poorly written game.

I mean the subtext is kinda interesting.

But good lord putting up with that writing was horrendous.

jesus just awful arent you

Kusuguttai on
    edited July 2010
    I feel Braid is pretentious in the same way reading a book is putting on airs. It's possible, but it's also possible that the person is just reading a goddamned book

but oh welp

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited July 2010
    All right now

Let's all just agree to disagree on Braid and instead talk about how awesome Limbo is going to be and how sad it is that Wimble will not be playing it

Didgeridoo on
    edited July 2010
    oh right I hate didgeridoo I forgot!!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was really hoping this was going to be a second thread about A Serbian Film.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The storyline of Braid read like a 13 year old trying to write philosophical slash fiction where Oppenheimer fucks a princess and a dinosaur simultaneously.

Anyway Dig, how many microsoft monies are we talking about for this bad boy?

Blake T on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Every time something like this comes out I remember how much I hate the whole process of buying points/etc.

Just let me buy the damn game. Your fake currency confuses and enrages me and I'd just like to hit a button and be like "buy this shit".

Sir Platypus on
    edited July 2010
    Every time something like this comes out I remember how much I hate the whole process of buying points/etc.

Just let me buy the damn game. Your fake currency confuses and enrages me and I'd just like to hit a button and be like "buy this shit".
    I wouldn't mind it so much if you could buy it in blocks that are equal to the blocks required to buy a game.

But no, you can only buy 500 or 1000 points and games are 400 or 800.

Blake T on
    edited July 2010
    THERE ya go, right back to what's really important. Never lose sight of your hatred for me, Wimble. It is the only real thing in this crazy world

If it makes you feel any better though, looks like the PS3 will be getting

journey_box.jpg

and I am super duper jealous. Here is a preview article!

Didgeridoo on
    edited July 2010
    I would now like a preview article about Wimble.

Blake T on
    edited July 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    The storyline of Braid read like a 13 year old trying to write philosophical slash fiction where Oppenheimer fucks a princess and a dinosaur simultaneously.

Anyway Dig, how many microsoft monies are we talking about for this bad boy?

Looks like it's going to be 15 US dollars, which I believe is 1200 Xbox fakebux points.

Didgeridoo on
    edited July 2010
    Aww man that is expensive.

(Though I do realise that it is as much as I paid for Braid)

Blake T on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's like Die kid!
    But Silohette'd (sp?) and somehow even creepier.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited July 2010
    I actually thought Braid was excellent before I read about the man who created it.

What does that have to do with anything?
    Hemmingway was an abusive drunk who whored around until finally drinking himself to death. Why the fuck would what who the guy who made it is matter in the slightest?

Kusuguttai on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel cheated.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    it's the homophobe rule

a dude is cool but if he is gay then you gotta get away from that guy because you will be gay if you hang out with him it's how it works

sorry for the hyperbole but it's really how it comes across a lot of the time

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »

What does that have to do with anything?
    Hemmingway was an abusive drunk who whored around until finally drinking himself to death. Why the fuck would what who the guy who made it is matter in the slightest?

I liked this post til I noticed Kusu said it!!
    :P

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so what did Jonathan Blow do that's so awful

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    Made a badass game for real men.

Kusuguttai on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reading wikipedia he doesn't seem to have done anything to warrant any hatred whatsoever

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    He killed my pet puppy rane then fed it to orphans telling them it was beef.

And the orphans were allergic to dog rane.

Blake T on