As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roman Polanski: he made a thriller

1656667686971»

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kildy wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Does anyone really think that if the situation was reversed, the US would have agreed to extradition?

If some country had asked for the extradition of a rapist who had publicly plead guilty with the current administration and government?

Yeah, I think we'd have done it. For no other reason than child molesters trigger the FOR THE CHILDREN voting block.
    If we were talking about a democratic nation whose courts provided sufficient due process to the accused, I would be pissed if the US refused to extradite in such a situation.

It almost seems like Switzerland wants to re-try the case against Polanski. The fucker got his day in court. He was represented by counsel in a justice system that grants numerous protections to the accused. He then ran off like a little punk when it looked like he was going to have to actually answer for what he did. If he feels that his rights were trampled upon, he can always file an appeal in US courts.

What the fuck does Switzerland want here?

If you're going to have an extradition treaty with another country, that implies to me that you accept the legitimacy of their legal system.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now that Switzerland has told the US extradition request No, the US should go in and get him anyways. Because in Switzerland, No doesn't always really mean No.

Really, Switzerland wants to give the Polanski up but they don't want to seem like sluts. They want the US to be aggressive and forceful and just take the Polanski. And maybe choke them and pull their hair a little too.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Now that Switzerland has told the US extradition request No, the US should go in and get him anyways. Because in Switzerland, No doesn't always really mean No.

Really, Switzerland wants to give the Polanski up but they don't want to seem like sluts. They want the US to be aggressive and forceful and just take the Polanski. And maybe choke them and pull their hair a little too.

:^:

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I dunno, America is only 234 years old. Seems pretty underage to me.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Might have to slip a little something into the Swiss water supply first.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe they can lock him up with all their Nazi gold

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

If we get caught, we can just hide out with France.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Topweasel wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Am I wrong, or wasn't the 13 year old his cousin too?

That was Edgar Allen Poe.
    Jerry Lee Lewis.

GungHo on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

If we get caught, we can just hide out with France.

We're not famous, we'd have been extradited by now.

Meanwhile they're probably throwing Polanksi a party right now toasting the injustice of his being expected to pay for rape. There are copious amounts of blow and underage french prostitutes in attendance.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am hard pressed to be angry at Switzerland (country) for the decision of one judge.

Unless it is some kind of national failing on their part. They are money hungry shady dealers, so maybe a secret bank account was involved.
    I'm kidding!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Batman does a good job with rendition, judging from the Dark Knight. Let's let Batman do it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, not really news, but I thought this comment from Polanski's attorney was especially irritating - now, according to the defense, Polanski didn't actually run away from the United States. It was all a misunderstanding.
    NY Times wrote:
    Georges Kiejman, one of Mr. Polanski’s lawyers, said the decision on Monday was a vindication of sorts, and a step toward resolving what he called an “American misunderstanding” of Mr. Polanski’s case. He said Mr. Polanski “did not flee the United States, as is often said,” and he maintained that Mr. Polanski’s departure had never been a challenge to American prosecutors.

“I’m obviously very happy for Roman,” said Mr. Kiejman said in a telephone interview. “I believe there is much too much pride in the attitude of the American authorities.”

I'm really not surprised that he's getting away with this, but the fact that they're so flippant and completely unremorseful about anything whatsoever - almost as though they're insulted that such a supposedly 'great' man is even being accused of a crime - is especially galling.

It makes me more or less want to boycott every movie by everyone in the film industry that's went out of their way to stick up for the guy, but that would probably mean I wouldn't get to watch any more movies ever.

EDIT: Actually, maybe not. Just read the list and the only one I've seen I'd actually miss is Martin Scorcese.

Duffel on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He didn't flee! He just doesn't feel that the United States has anything left to offer him.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought this bullshit would blow over at the time, and it appears to have done. Until some other californian judge / DA etc feels like pulling a publicity stunt that is.

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I thought this bullshit would blow over at the time, and it appears to have done. Until some other californian judge / DA etc feels like pulling a publicity stunt that is.

Uh... what?

So you honestly think that if people can get out of the country before they are sentenced, then they should get off scot free without having to worry about extradition?

Am I just reading your post wrong or are you some kind of wacky avian?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You realize it was the SWISS that arrested him in the first place, right?

Kagera on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

Batman does a good job with rendition, judging from the Dark Knight. Let's let Batman do it.

he's gonna need kareem abdul-jabbar's help to operate the skyhook
    airplane.JPG

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why do people keep bringing up "plead guilty" as though it's relevant?

Because when you plead guilty to a crime in the U.S., the only thing left in a trial is sentencing. Innocent until proven guilty, right? Well, if you walk into a courtroom and say, "I'm guilty," we can pretty much lose the presumption of innocence. Then when you flee the country to escape the sentencing to the crime you admitted to, I think we can call that an even bigger mockery of the justice system than simply running away while saying you were wrongfully accused.

"Yeah, I did it, but I'm not going to be punished for it!"

Except that there are plenty of reasons why someone would end up pleading guilty as part of a plea bargain that do not involve them actually being guilty. So it doesn't actually tell us anything.

If the Swiss judges were worried that misconduct had taken place, then I think it's their right to deny the extradition request. Certainly I don't see an American court acting any differently in that position.

Except that at no point, even after he fled the country, has he maintained that he didn't have sex with her. And she was underage. And that's what he plead to. There's really no question here, and no justification whatsoever for not granting extradition.

Now, if we had stated an intent to bring him back and re-try him for the forcible rape, and all the other charges...maybe. But as it is, we want to bring him back and sentence him for a crime that he plead to, and continued to admit to even after he was no longer in our custody or under our jurisdiction.

Personally I figure they're just trying to even the score for all the Nazis they gave handjobs to. But really, Polanski is the wrong dude to choose for that. Dude was a fucking predator, and probably still is if he can even get it up.

EDIT: Also I'm suddenly wondering how large of a laser-guided bomb it would take to level a Swiss chalet.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Why do people keep bringing up "plead guilty" as though it's relevant?

Because when you plead guilty to a crime in the U.S., the only thing left in a trial is sentencing. Innocent until proven guilty, right? Well, if you walk into a courtroom and say, "I'm guilty," we can pretty much lose the presumption of innocence. Then when you flee the country to escape the sentencing to the crime you admitted to, I think we can call that an even bigger mockery of the justice system than simply running away while saying you were wrongfully accused.

"Yeah, I did it, but I'm not going to be punished for it!"

Except that there are plenty of reasons why someone would end up pleading guilty as part of a plea bargain that do not involve them actually being guilty. So it doesn't actually tell us anything.

If the Swiss judges were worried that misconduct had taken place, then I think it's their right to deny the extradition request. Certainly I don't see an American court acting any differently in that position.

Except that at no point, even after he fled the country, has he maintained that he didn't have sex with her. And she was underage. And that's what he plead to. There's really no question here, and no justification whatsoever for not granting extradition.

Now, if we had stated an intent to bring him back and re-try him for the forcible rape, and all the other charges...maybe. But as it is, we want to bring him back and sentence him for a crime that he plead to, and continued to admit to even after he was no longer in our custody or under our jurisdiction.

Personally I figure they're just trying to even the score for all the Nazis they gave handjobs to. But really, Polanski is the wrong dude to choose for that. Dude was a fucking predator, and probably still is if he can even get it up.

EDIT: Also I'm suddenly wondering how large of a laser-guided bomb it would take to level a Swiss chalet.

It'd be easier to just wipe out France. Two birds, one nuclear warhead.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

he's gonna need kareem abdul-jabbar's help to operate the skyhook
    airplane.JPG

Batman, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    What, no it isn't unless they are trying to argue that the American system is a violation of fundamental rights or something similar, which it obviously isn't.

Funny, because to me and the Norwegian government it's pretty obvious that it does violate fundamental rights; Norway refused to extradite to the U.S. because U.S. prisons come nowhere close to humanitarian standards.
    Really, I would question the sanity of anyone who actually approves of such a prison system.

Anyhoo, that's all off-topic, because that's not the reasoning behind the Swiss decision not to extradite.

It annoys me that these confidential documents they're talking about couldn't just be released to Swiss authorities, I fail to see what's so terrible about doing that; it's not like it'd be the same as releasing them on WikiLeaks. The documents would only be viewed by judges and attorneys, no?

Paragon on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'm really not surprised that he's getting away with this, but the fact that they're so flippant and completely unremorseful about anything whatsoever - almost as though they're insulted that such a supposedly 'great' man is even being accused of a crime - is especially galling.

Entertainers live in a different world than ordinary folks.
    Chris Rock wrote:
    That's how much we love Michael (Jackson). We love Michael so much, we let the first kid slide.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To be fair Michael Jackson was never convicted nor admitted to sexually abusing any children. So it's not nearly the same thing as Polanski saying this 13 year old girl 'seduced' him into drugging and sodomizing her.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In what possible way is extraditing someone to serve their sentence (for a crime they pled guilty to) a publicity stunt?

You don't get a pardon for your crime just because you're able to skip town and evade justice for a long enough period.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't the Swiss give America the heads up that he was going to be there and asked if they wanted him detained? Why even bother with doing the favor if you are going to use the situation to give someone the finger?

Edit: I did not get to my point, which I feel that the fucked up idea of letting him go is on the judge and not the Swedish government.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In retrospect, the fact that Polanski was allowed to delay his jail sentence in order to finish a movie was an extremely boneheaded move; if they hadn't done that, then this whole stupid situation would have been avoided.

I have a feeling that, if I were charged with even something as minor as simple possession or DUI, or whatever, that I wouldn't be allowed to go to jail when it was convenient for me.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In Scandinavia its quite common for you to start serving your sentence after a period of time (usually because there's no room). Some people get sentenced, and then wait a year until they serve the time.

Depends on the severity, of course.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    In retrospect, the fact that Polanski was allowed to delay his jail sentence in order to finish a movie was an extremely boneheaded move; if they hadn't done that, then this whole stupid situation would have been avoided.

Not that we'll stop doing it for movie stars.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Switzerland, not Scandinavia, and in the US anyone can get their jail time temporarily commuted if they have a major but temporary financial reason. If you were an architect birth days from finishing a sky-scraper or something.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton