As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    I finished Disgrace today, I found the end very sad.

bongi on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am reading Iron Council. I like China Mieville, but he really just drops you into the thick of things without much explanation. I can't remember much of what happened in Perdido Street Station, so I'm not sure how much of it is relevant to story of this book. I think they're almost entirely separate, but I'm not sure.

captaink on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunno if you dudes have seen PAPERBACK SWAP but it's pretty awesome. You trade books with people and all you pay for is basic shipping, which is pretty damn cheap. So far I've gotten Amusing Ourselves to Death and The Raw Shark Texts and it only cost me a few bucks and some books I didn't care about anyway.

Peen on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I belong to a paperback swap called my local library
    The best part is I pay nothing for shipping and give no books up

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Libraries aren't bad but my local one has fuck all for selection. I went with a list of like 50 books I wanted to read and found about 12.

And that's not just even one local branch. I used the county's library search system.

freakish light on
    edited July 2010
    I'm with you, I thought I was the #1 pimper of local libraries on here; that's for the occasional book that you want to have for your very own.

Edit: Or for people whose libraries aren't quite what they could be. Depending on where you live your results may vary.

Peen on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    i nabbed waiting for godot, norweigan wood, and the things they carried today

one of them was recommended by penguin incarnate! try to guess which!

Kusuguttai on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh! I know!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    worst book in high school: return of the native

Quoth on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finished Murakami's After Dark last week. It certainly was a book that I read. Not sure what else to think about it.

Now I am reading Stephen Hunter's Hot Springs. It could not possibly be more different than After Dark. It is about a WWII marine who joins a cop task force to take down bad guys. His descriptions of boobs are pretty funny.

Sometimes I just like to read about bad guys getting it from the good guys.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    looks like i'm going downtown today or tomorrow and selling my book collection

gonna make me sad to see it go

Swill on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On a lark i decided to read Coraline. It is a really good fast 1 night read.

Barcardi on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Swill, that is terrible. I will bring you a real, brand-new, replacement book if I see you at PAX. Or something.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Cry, The Beloved Country

and

Of Human Bondage.

Those were the other two I found the most torturous .

I liked Cry, The Beloved Country.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    worst book in high school: return of the native

Madame Bovary

Holy lord liftin' Jesus Christ that book

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited July 2010
    Return of the Native's whole first chapter is about the setting. I give Return the nod for worst book.

Peen on
  • TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Instead of going with Faulkner, I've decided to hit up some good old sci-fi. Started picking away at Shadow & Claw, the first half of the Book of the New Sun. This thing has more weird nouns than Dune so far, but the writing is amazing.

TomeWyrm on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just read, uhh, Anagrams by Lorrie Moore

now I'm reading a book of short stories by Mary Caponegro, my adviser at school, and East of Eden

only around page 50 on Eden and it is shooting darts in my hearts

Charles Kinbote on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Swill, that is terrible. I will bring you a real, brand-new, replacement book if I see you at PAX. Or something.

the only one I feel actually bad about is a first edition of ernest hemingway's poetry, a pirated edition

the rest are rebuyable, and I kept the sentimental ones : )

Swill on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god Faulkner

I forgot to put Intruder in the Dust on my list of awful high school reading experiences.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    are you going to Powell's? I hope they give you a good value.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, I just finished The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I really enjoyed it, but I started to become totally indifferent to the 'well' chapters, towards the end of the novel.

I'm thinking of re-reading Jimmy Corrigan, again.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh my god

i hate david copperfield

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Alright, I just finished The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I really enjoyed it, but I started to become totally indifferent to the 'well' chapters, towards the end of the novel.
    Good job, Dublo.

I read that book way back when because denihilist really loved it and wrote some incredibly lovely words about it. I wouldn't have read that book if it wasn't for him and if it wasn't for this forum.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Book thread can I ask you about junkfood reading?

Because it is the best kind of reading and I need some more books to read

Silven on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited July 2010
    I am reading A Single Man, having finished Disgrace yesterday.

Disgrace was very sad, and very good, and so far A Single Man is also very good.

bongi on
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't comprehend why people love Book of the New Sun. I read it after I was done rereading A Song of Ice and Fire cause I was in the mood for more ballin fantasy and it was just bluuuuuuuuuuuh.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silven wrote: »

Man I read so much junk literature it's ridiculous. Temeraire I guess would qualify. The Dresden Files. Uhh, Gideon Defoe's The Pirates! books are hilarious to me. Anne Perry's William Monk series and also her WWI series. Umm... The Shadow short stories. Sarah Vowell. Jasper Fforde. Sometimes I troll the YA fantasy section for crap or reread things like The Dark is Rising orrr anything by Patricia C. Wrede.

I also like Patricia Briggs and basically anything Robin McKinley has ever done, although one of those is far more junkfood than the other. Umm... Neil Gaiman? Terry Pratchett? Douglas Adams? I have things way more embarrassing than this that I have read, but at some point you just have to refuse to admit to it.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Umaro wrote: »
    I can't comprehend why people love Book of the New Sun. I read it after I was done rereading A Song of Ice and Fire cause I was in the mood for more ballin fantasy and it was just bluuuuuuuuuuuh.

People love it because it's an excellent book.

His sword is called Terminus Est goddammit.

Butler on
    edited July 2010

Man I read so much junk literature it's ridiculous. Temeraire I guess would qualify. The Dresden Files. Uhh, Gideon Defoe's The Pirates! books are hilarious to me. Anne Perry's William Monk series and also her WWI series. Umm... The Shadow short stories. Sarah Vowell. Jasper Fforde. Sometimes I troll the YA fantasy section for crap or reread things like The Dark is Rising orrr anything by Patricia C. Wrede.

I also like Patricia Briggs and basically anything Robin McKinley has ever done, although one of those is far more junkfood than the other. Umm... Neil Gaiman? Terry Pratchett? Douglas Adams? I have things way more embarrassing than this that I have read, but at some point you just have to refuse to admit to it.

You are my new hero. I've cleared out the Dresden Files and the Nightside series and I don't want to stop this magical streak that I'm on.

Silven on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You are my new hero. I've cleared out the Dresden Files and the Nightside series and I don't want to stop this magical streak that I'm on.

Too.. many... books..

I am 3 books into Dresden, 3 books in Codex Alera, and now you introduce me to Nightside? It looks like something I might like :) . Just what I need, another 10-book series to read, woo.

Codex Alera is very good btw, very different from Dredsen but the pacing is very similar.

Selner on
  • iplaybassiplaybass Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been reading Terry pratchett almost non stop since Julie introduced me to his work. It's been a while since I found an author who's so hard to put down.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I like to imagine you're reading all of these at once. Which means you've got the anatomy of a Hindu god.

Tam on
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Butler wrote: »

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argus wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »

srsly

Sarksus on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    guys

the nightside books are terrible

or at least the first one is

Quoth on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I had forgotten somehow that Sarah Vowell is an author. I've gotta read her stuff, I love her pieces on This American Life.

Ooh, maybe in audiobook format. I love her voice and inflection.

freakish light on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like Sarah Vowell. Not really junk though.

You want good junk? Conan the Barbarian. It never gets old. Also (for raygun adventure instead of sword adventure) Leigh Brackett's Mars stories.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stephen King makes the most delicious of popcorn books. Especially the short stories, The Mangler is about an industrial clothes folding machine that is possesed by Satan and ends up chasing a dude down the street.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited July 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    guys

the nightside books are terrible

or at least the first one is

The first is admittedly awful. It suffered a lot from Green's need to overexplain every little thing. That particular annoyance continues through the series because most of them are supposed to work standalone.

However the series gets progressively less cringe-worthy as it goes on.

Silven on
This discussion has been closed.