As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I like drawing robots, mech and demonic things

• Options
    travistravistravistravis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    humanimals?

travistravis on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Way better pictures, excellent inking and coloring work.
    Some more dynamic posing and scenes would be awesome, I want to see these things in action!

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    chainsawsword.jpg

Chainsaw Sword!!

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    VeteranHunterwithJeffrey2.jpg

looks better now with contrast.

Lucy.jpg

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Some are in action. I was going to do it with all of them but sometimes I've drawn the thing before I even think of it. There are other artists that do it so well as well that they only make me look bad. If i think of anything though

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    LuciousLucy.jpg

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yasuhiro Nightow? Don't know about that. Akira, well maybe, i've seen it 50 times, MGS rips off looooads of films and manga anyway. And scud i've never heard of till now. Anyway it's hard to be original when 50 years of film making and anime have plundered every possible shape and form but I try. I don't know where the cyber extra cyber arm thing came from. I figured they could just spin around. T Square I don't know? Which one?

travistravis on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you have a scanner? Seriously, people have asked you this a million times and you haven't even answered them once. You really should try and work on the actual quality of your scans or pictures if you're using a camera, because the blurriness is incredibly distracting and really unfortunate to begin with, since the drawings actually look really good.

As far as we can tell, anyway, because, you know, shitty pictures.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    m11.jpg

Is this enough arms? hahaha like ten then some more on the finger which hsve yet more fingers. Someone should draw a resident evil monster like this then try and colour it like in the resi 5 art book.

Well I figured answer by neatening them up. If you look at the first and the more recent ones there's a difference. They look viewable on a laptop screen anyway. Mostly they're too big for most scanners. I might take a few of the best ones and some new ones to the copy shop to use their big scanner to colour them. Go down their once a week and post less. I honestly didn't think it would matter really. I didn't think people would like them that much where they would care about sharpness. If I was trying to sell them in print you can bet your ass they'd have the best possible print but I just thought it would be a laugh to put them here really. Hadn't put any thought into it.

travistravis on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if you're going to draw that large, you need to get proficient in stitching together smaller scans.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    humanimals?

I... don't think you want to know.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's hard enough drawing them.Then inking I'm not too good at so that takes ages. Colouring takes time too. Fussing around with scans isn't happening. I'll take them to the shop to get them scanned. Maybe if I ever get a secretary that can be her job.

And humanimals I googled and wish I hadn't. WTF?

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I take it you found S_O's stuff then

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited July 2010
    travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Definitely not S_O

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    oh that's not so bad

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Reaper.jpg

Reaver of ladies souls. A dracula inspired sort of thing I guess, wraps their cape around them and they are trapped in it forever.

MMM.jpg

Inked this! Last time I try to photo reference anything. nightmare

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MMMsharpened.jpg

JUST FOUND THE SHARPEN TOOL, HOWDJA LIKE THAT??

meh its ok

travistravis on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't touch the sharpen tool again. Take better pictures or make friends [with someone who owns] a big scanner. The sharpen tool only makes your work look hideous, amateurish and a ridiculous.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aldo dont spout ridiculous nonsense. His work looks amateurish and ridiculous because it is a poor photo. The sharpen tool is quite useful if you use it appropriately.

Your sense for spotting blacks is very poor. Just judging from this last drawing. Its not about picking a puzzle peice and coloring inside the lines. ITs about describing form and giving a drawing weight. Or it can be about creating pattern. You arent really doing either. How do you go about teaching your mind to think that way? - Study the basics of drawing and once they are mastered you will figure out inking and spotting blacks through trial and error.

You are building houses on quicksand right now.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aldo dont spout ridiculous nonsense. His work looks amateurish and ridiculous because it is a poor photo. The sharpen tool is quite useful if you use it appropriately.
    That is what I meant, I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait do you just mean the sharpening or all the inking generally.

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bsass.jpg

Anyway unfortunately she appears to have become victim of the possession sword. If the sword cuts of your head it possesses your dead body until it cuts off another head. Some say it is possessed by the soul of a man who accidentally cut off his lovers head and stabbed himself with the sword in grief.

travistravis on
  • Options
    Automatic JackAutomatic Jack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your sense for spotting blacks is very poor. Just judging from this last drawing. Its not about picking a puzzle peice and coloring inside the lines. ITs about describing form and giving a drawing weight. Or it can be about creating pattern. You arent really doing either. How do you go about teaching your mind to think that way? - Study the basics of drawing and once they are mastered you will figure out inking and spotting blacks through trial and error.

Meh, I dunno, I've seen enough stuff that looks like his to accept it as some kind of stylistic trait. I know that's a dangerous thing to say, but if you're just commenting on his last drawing, it probably isn't the best example. Some of the earlier ones seem very pattern based to me. Probably he has more trouble applying that shadow style to the human figure than to intricate pieces of machinery, which is what seems to be his strength.

Anyway, travis. I know you'll probably respond to this twenty posts later without using quotes, but, just thought I'd throw my two cents in with the forty dollars you've gotten from other people: Invest in a scanner, mebbe?

I wish I had one of Nightow's splash pages with the ridiculous cyborg limbs sprouting everywhere to the point where you can't tell whether they're attached to one of the characters or just part of the scenery. Trigun in particular has a ton of that.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Meh, I dunno, I've seen enough stuff that looks like his to accept it as some kind of stylistic trait. I know that's a dangerous thing to say, but if you're just commenting on his last drawing, it probably isn't the best example. Some of the earlier ones seem very pattern based to me. Probably he has more trouble applying that shadow style to the human figure than to intricate pieces of machinery, which is what seems to be his strength.

Anyway, travis. I know you'll probably respond to this twenty posts later without using quotes, but, just thought I'd throw my two cents in with the forty dollars you've gotten from other people: Invest in a scanner, mebbe?

I wish I had one of Nightow's splash pages with the ridiculous cyborg limbs sprouting everywhere to the point where you can't tell whether they're attached to one of the characters or just part of the scenery. Trigun in particular has a ton of that.

More like forty.

Drawing too big for conventional scanner. Need to take them to scan shop.

As for that drawing like I said I drew it from life and it didn't go too well. I prefer just making it up. Saying that though it's growing on me. I like it more than I did. I changed it from the pencils because I thought it was starting to look a bit J. Scott Campbell. The build looked exactly like Fairchild.

Anyway new things.

Invincible Ghost

InvincibleGhost1.jpg

I'm (this) far away from being able to make FF logos.

Invincible Ghost Solid

InvincibleGhost.jpg

Hopefully it doesn't look like something from Trigun.I watch Trigun.

And a scan. You can see the brush lines. You might want me too tighten them up but im not fussed really. I like Tim Townsend but then I like Hiroaki Samura.

Untitled-1.jpg

I really just put them together to photoshop

travistravis on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yaaaay! It looks much nicer!

Looks kind of like Keisar Ephes from Super Robot Wars Alpha3. Neat.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So are you actually trying to make a career out of this, or are these just for fun?

The Trigun anime doesn't have nearly as much messed up stuff as the manga... I never got through the comic because I had no idea what was going on. Like that scene where Wolfwood rips open a giant cyborg dude and finds two midgets inside, which he then proceeds to blow apart with his crucifix/machine gun. At least I think that's what happened. Also there's marionette parts flying everywhere.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIeOwQqyj-0

This video will answer none of your questions.

I was trying to break into comics but that got really dull. I started to think if I drew a big muscle man again I'd turn gay. It's all they want, big biceps and cock bulge. I'd like to write and design, Insomniac games suggested getting a team together not just for producing comics since I now have a pavlovian response to drawing squares but for designing too, but I wouldn't put all my hopes on it. There's so many good artists just churning out of education , already working or just bumming around message boards. I've only been using computer colouring 8 weeks and a quill for about 3. I don't have a cluuue what I'm doing.

Untitled-7.jpg

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh baby, did you take that one to the shop?? You should get all your other ones done up like that.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about whether other people are better than you. I'm a pretty mediocre artist, but I know how to make a good impression and put together a decent portfolio, which is more than a lot of the people out there who can draw circles around me can say. If you're in contact with Insomniac... I would just follow opportunities until something happens. That's what I plan on doing after I get out of school. Or if you just want to mess around for forever, cool. I think I'd like to go teach English in Japan for a year instead of doing anything directly related to art.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    UnfortunateLadyKnight.jpg

Unfortunate Rocket Knight

THERETURNOFJEFFREEEEEEEYVetranhunterheadsgonnaenduponaspike.jpg

The Return of Jeffrey the Psycho Demo Machine!!! That Veteran Hunter's gonn get his head stuck on a spike

amano.jpg

And I finally coloured this. one.

travistravis on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh the lines are really able to shine now with better scans, and I really like the coloring you did on that last one.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You've got a lot of practice ahead of you, particularly in terms of human anatomy

But I really like your mechanical designs

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    SpaceMarine2.jpg

Ritual.jpg

Jeffrey.jpg

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    SoulReaper2.jpg

EvilHazard2.jpg

travistravis on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome stuff man. Got a couple of crits though.

I really like that robot snake thing with all the mouths, though when I look closer at it I notice how flat it is coming across. Try to sketch things out as three dimensional shapes before you start adding all sorts of thingamajigs on top because they appear to just be slapped on, and not actually wrapping around the shape of main object.

A lot of your fingers look like cheese puffs, so I would start to try to dedicate some time towards drawing believable, realistic hands. It will help even your more wacky sketches.

Also you should try to bump up your white/black contrast somehow in your scans because the blacks could be a bit blacker. Its just a quick step, but it will get rid of the marker stripes you have and make things pop even more.

Disclaimer: I can't draw hands for shit.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    EvilHazardMellowYellow.jpg

JeffreyColour.jpg

travistravis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ritual-1.jpg

SpaceMarine2-1.jpg