As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I've been working on this piece for class.

TrickyVTrickyV Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
We've been tasked with a Photoshop project, with a wide variety of possibilities in terms of what we could do. Since I have never done a full piece with many hours of labor in Photoshop, I decided to bite the bullet and do a colorization of a line drawing. I followed a few tutorials online to get some effects that I wanted, but this is mostly a new venture for me, so be kind :)

Here I have depicted Ancient Robot Lord Xyzzk Slijaashk, the creator and most powerful wielder of the Power of Rock. With powers rivaling that of gods, he is capable of splitting a planet in twain with single delicious riff.

With that said, I hope you can understand the source of the overly cheesy lens flare behind the eclipsing sun: It's supposed to look cheesy :)

robotrocker.jpg

~~~
You've wasted precious seconds of your life reading this.
TrickyV on

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i actually like this lol. Although I am not convinced that the light source makes any sense. Also that white border around him should either be explained or done away with because it's very distracting.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I put that in there because he was blending into the background too much, and I needed to make him pop out. Though it does kind of flatten the image out :|

I did the lighting on him before I did any background work, so yeah... the lighting is screwed up. The only excuse I can come up with is stage lighting :| But that's just lazy excuse making. He really should be backlit by the eclipse...

TrickyV on
    ~~~
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy H-Scroll rape!!!

I'm personally not a fan of realistic/photo backgrounds mixed with illustration.
    The shadow should be coming AT us if the light source is behind him.
    The drawing itself reads well enough, and i like the lighting effects on the strings and his visor.
    Figure seems to be floating there and not actually on the ground.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To add to what the others have already said, Photoshop users tend to stick to a few common rules:

1. Do not use lens flare
    2. If you want to have lens flare as part of your artistic expression, do not use the lens flare effect
    3. Do study how lens flares look in photographs and film, then hand draw them. These will looks a million times better and mesh with the rest of the picture.

nakirush on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd remove the white outline. If it all blended together too much, there are more options than just throwing an ugly white border everywhere.

Also the background and the lensflare look crappy. If you had done them by hand like the rest of the piece, than it wouldn't look like a 5 min PS filter. You've got something, but the gradients, filters and shit are killing it.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll revise it tomorrow morning, once the animation hall opens back up. They have nice tablets there :)

TrickyV on
    ~~~