As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read one nightside book and one of his magic james bond books.

Well, I tried too. I quit halfway through both. Complete utter shit, and that's coming from someone who frequently reads and enjoys books that would merit a hearty round of elitist sneers from this thread.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I avoided the magic bond series from the start because the summary is basically "guy is a secret agent and has magic armor that makes him perfect and invincible and he knows all languages and is great the end".

I do have standards.

Silven on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i actually found the bond book infinitely more readable than the nightside one, whose principle merit is that it was about 100 pages shorter

Quoth on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wassup fanti-dorks.

Just finished Generation Kill. Moving on to Cat's Cradle.

I'll just be over here, reading my :smug: college Freshman books.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited July 2010
    Well crap. It appears I am a dirty heathen, then

Also, I wondered if anyone could help me identify a book. It's a take on the prince and pauper but with an assassinated tyrant and an circus performer and his swordswallowing sidekick. I can't remember much beyond that except that the cover art was a guy with a sabre and a fez hat standing next to a dragon.

Familiar to anyone?

Silven on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, but I want to read it based on that description.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited July 2010
    Silven wrote: »

Also, I wondered if anyone could help me identify a book. It's a take on the prince and pauper but with an assassinated tyrant and an circus performer and his swordswallowing sidekick. I can't remember much beyond that except that the cover art was a guy with a sabre and a fez hat standing next to a dragon.

Familiar to anyone?

lord valentine's castle?

Quoth on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading Iron Council and sometimes I can't tell whether a word is made-up or just really obscure. Makes me wish I had a kindle.

captaink on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't know what that book is, but it reminds me of Monsieur Leotard, which is awesome and which everyone should read

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    Silven wrote: »

Familiar to anyone?

lord valentine's castle?

Nope. This book was newish in... 2005-06ish, I believe.

Silven on
    edited July 2010
    Found it!

I read it years ago but I remember it being a pretty great read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Inch_a_King

Silven on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    I read american gods last week while selling fireworks in NC

I love that book because it's like anytime you don't like the plot, just wait about fifty pages and he'll start another

I liked the overall plot but the vignettes at the end of each chapter were even better. I think he could have trimmed down the part where Shadow was just hanging out in Lakeside though, if it was anyone but Gaiman writing it I would have got bored and given up at that point.

The one with the ifrit was my favourite, so awesome.

Meissnerd on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I am probably way late to the party, but it's pretty awesome.

I don't know why it was in humor though, i mean the concept is funny but he plays it straight as can be.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, who else thinks The Road is the best book ever? Because holy fuck damn it is good

DeliciousTacos on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well that's pushing it, but it totally did make me cry a little.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited July 2010
    It's the best book I will never read again.

captaink on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I am probably way late to the party, but it's pretty awesome.

I don't know why it was in humor though, i mean the concept is funny but he plays it straight as can be.

Doc you reminded me to look and see if this had come back to my branch yet and it has and it's so mine.

Peen on
    edited July 2010
    captaink wrote: »

hey dude, did you know some guy plagiarized your taco bell rant

Quoth on
    edited July 2010

what taco bell rant

captaink on
    edited July 2010

what taco bell rant

wasn't this you

http://www.ideali.st/2009/02/23/taco-hell/

Quoth on
    edited July 2010

what taco bell rant

wasn't this you

must have been the other Captain K

captaink on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

what taco bell rant

wasn't this you

different k

PiptheFair on
    edited July 2010
    it was

why the hell do you have his name

Quoth on
    edited July 2010
    Why does he have my name?

captaink on
    edited July 2010
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You have his name

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited July 2010
    (I have an earlier join date, oooo)

captaink on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You didn't write a song about me and that means you are a fake.

ChicoBlue on
    edited July 2010
    I truly have failed you

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    you did not make an a capella version of the tale spin theme song which i currently use for my husband's ring tone

edit: OR DID YOU, I AM SO CONFUSED

Quoth on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For some dumb reason or another I started a third book while still in the midst of my other two

On the plus side, it is Slaughterhouse V, it is my first time reading it, I am 6 chapters in, and I am really liking it.

SithDrummer on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So it goes.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For some dumb reason or another I started a third book while still in the midst of my other two

On the plus side, it is Slaughterhouse V, it is my first time reading it, I am 6 chapters in, and I am really liking it.
    Is that your first Vonnegut book? You should go on to read Cat's Cradle. It's my personal favourite Vonnegut book.

I just got a copy of Borges' Fictions. I just read the first story (Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius) over a coffee, and my mind is blown to pieces. Incredible.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great Job, Internet!: Find out which famous author you sort of (but don't really) write like
    For those who have long harbored literary pretensions but somehow missed out on the halfhearted encouragement of a self-absorbed creative writing professor or undermining writers’ workshop, I Write Like is the ego-inflating yet slightly dismissive mentor you’ve never had. Simply plug in a block of text (the longer the better) and, through the magic of some sort of undefined analytical algorithm, you’ll soon find out which famous author’s prose style most resembles your own ramblings. Here’s a rundown of which authors various members of The A.V. Club staff supposedly write like, according to the stories we plugged in. As you can see, it’s kinda complete horseshit—and it only seems to have about a dozen or so authors in its arsenal—but it’s sort-of fun nonetheless.

Grey Ghost on
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Is that your first Vonnegut book? You should go on to read Cat's Cradle. It's my personal favourite Vonnegut book.

I just got a copy of Borges' Fictions. I just read the first story (Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius) over a coffee, and my mind is blown to pieces. Incredible.

I just got done God Bless You Mister Rosewater, I think there's only a few left for me to pick up. So fine.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Great Job, Internet!: Find out which famous author you sort of (but don't really) write like
    For those who have long harbored literary pretensions but somehow missed out on the halfhearted encouragement of a self-absorbed creative writing professor or undermining writers’ workshop, I Write Like is the ego-inflating yet slightly dismissive mentor you’ve never had. Simply plug in a block of text (the longer the better) and, through the magic of some sort of undefined analytical algorithm, you’ll soon find out which famous author’s prose style most resembles your own ramblings. Here’s a rundown of which authors various members of The A.V. Club staff supposedly write like, according to the stories we plugged in. As you can see, it’s kinda complete horseshit—and it only seems to have about a dozen or so authors in its arsenal—but it’s sort-of fun nonetheless.

I got Mark Twain off of my unfinished Nanowrimo novel. I'll take it.

freakish light on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't trust this thing

There is literally no delay and I doubt it's analyzing anything

Especially because I pasted a paper I wrote for a film class and it compared me to Nabokov

Grey Ghost on
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I took a little break from Under the Dome. It really is starting to get into that small town political shit that just drives me to an ape-like rage. Ah well, I will pick it up pretty soon and finish it. I think I'm about a third of the way through.

Cogliostro on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Somebody at work yoinked my copy of Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, and now I am angry.

Near the beginning of the book it mentions him going to an Ink Spots concert.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Man, that is a shitty place to work. I work with total lowlifes who spend all their money on video lottery, even they won't steal your shit.

Hobnail on

This discussion has been closed.