As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You come at the king, you best not miss. (Also Boardwalk Empire)

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
on a whim, I bought the entire series of this show, maybe you've heard of it

the_wire_-_season_5.jpg

now I'd heard the hype

it's been called the best show on television, the smartest show, maybe the best drama ever made

for once, I can say that without a doubt it's true

it's gritty, it's very realistic and has some of the most well-drawn and compelling characters I've ever seen

the-wire-20080104022509454-001.jpg

Omar alone could have an entire series to himself, a gay bad-ass who robs other drug dealers

but goddamn pretty much everyone on this show is incredible in their own ways

so let's talk about it

also, mark your spoilers, I'm only 3 episodes into season 3 and hopefully this thread'll convince others to pick it up

oh, and this show just started!

boardwalk-empire-la-1-14-10.jpg

it's about prohibition in Atlantic City and it has basically every good actor in it ever, you should watch it

especially because of this man:

michael-kenneth-williams.jpg?d=600

YaYa on

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Going to spoil it for you.

McNaulty bones everyone.

Blake T on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    already knew that

season 3 spoilers
    and then Daniels sweeps on his red-headed turf goddamn I didn't see that coming

YaYa on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Season 3 is the best season.

I do not care much for the later seasons.

They're good, but they don't have the characters that the first three seasons have.

Blake T on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    noooooooooo don't tell me that

YaYa on
    edited July 2010
    Some people really like the fourth season.

But the subject that the fourth season is about didn't really engage me.

The fifth is kinda similar to the first, but like I said, the characters just aren't as strong.

Blake T on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this some kind of series for the gays?

Like Queer as Folk or something?

Is there lots of bare man on bare man "acting"?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Being from Baltimore I have two things to say about the Wire:

1) It is an amazing show

2) If I have one more out-of-towner ask if it is "just like the wire" I will curbstomp a bitch.

FortyTwo on
    edited July 2010
    Because it is just like the wire isn't it??

Blake T on
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God damn it why you even gotta do a thing?

FortyTwo on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Season 4 is best. Season 5 is the weakest, but still amazing. I have rewatched the whole series about 5 times, and keep finding new things in it. So many good characters, stringer, bodie, kima, bubbles, goddamn now I wanna rewatch it all again. Love when they mention local stuff I recognize, like when snoop and chris mention using kys 93.9 to identify ny drug dealers

Also, I have an extra copy of the wire season 4 that's useless to me since I bought the complete series. Anyone want it? (us residents only plz, unless you wanna spring for shipping)

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Last year the BBC showed every episode of The Wire once a night. It is an awesome show. One of the best but I still haven't seen the second half of the fifth series and I don't want to spend £20 just to find out what happens.

if season 4 is about
    The kids
    then that is the best season.

Bad-Beat on
    edited July 2010
    I think season 2 was the weakest.

At least with all the other seasons you could see the point of it.

Blake T on
    edited July 2010
    One of the best scenes, for me, is
    The balcony scene between Avon and Stringer in season 3. The two of them just remembering old times while they've both just sold each other out was so powerful, it's really hard to beat

Bad-Beat on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Wire is my favorite t.v. show of all time. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-watch it all.

Alan Sepinwall does an essay about each episode at http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching It's fascinating reading material.

I love season four if not just for the politics and the general awesomeness that is Tommy Carcetti.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i bought season 1 and 2 dirt cheap at a blockbuster closing sale

i'm only three episodes in but i like it so far

Clint Eastwood on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yes!! we just finished season 5 a couple days ago (it was a rewatch for me, but the first time for cap)

omar little for president

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    i thought carcetti was gonna be
    scummier than he ended up being

though it is a little suspect in the whole 'white guy only guy to fix black city'

i figure david simon wasn't intending to do that though. i respect that man immensely.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2010
    i'm about halfway through season five. it's okay. i'll finish it eventually.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

though it is a little suspect in the whole 'white guy only guy to fix black city'

i figure david simon wasn't intending to do that though. i respect that man immensely.

but he doesn't fix anything

that's the point

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    aaaaand
    he is only elected thanks to a one in a million stray bullet

Bad-Beat on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I should re-watch this again, it is so good.

What other series would I enjoy if I enjoyed this?

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just going to leave this here (contains some spoilers, obviously)
    THE WIRE - 100 Greatest Quotes (spoilers)
    Generation Kill is by the same people and is also fantastic, so you should watch that.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really want this to be put up on Instant Queue

I will watch it so hard

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2010

but he doesn't fix anything

that's the point

yeah, that's true
    he does kinda fuck the city over when he stands on his pride and puts his governatorial aspirations over the city

Orikaeshigitae on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The best wire quote: sheeeeeeiiiiit

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited July 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    The best wire quote: sheeeeeeiiiiit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUjh9Id6Id8&feature=related

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Wire is a tough sell for people. It's one of those shows where you can't be surfing the web or conversing with friends while you watch. You need to be paying complete attention or else you miss something. I've watched it from start to finish a few times, and I always pick up on something new.

If you liked The Wire and haven't watched Treme yet, the first season just concluded. Definitely give it a watch, it's just as compelling.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Darth AardvarkDarth Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    The Wire is a tough sell for people. It's one of those shows where you can't be surfing the web or conversing with friends while you watch. You need to be paying complete attention or else you miss something. I've watched it from start to finish a few times, and I always pick up on something new.

If you liked The Wire and haven't watched Treme yet, the first season just concluded. Definitely give it a watch, it's just as compelling.

So true. I got bored halfway through the first episode twice before I realized that I couldn't be reading forums while watching like I can with most other shows.

Darth Aardvark on
    edited July 2010
    cap is not a person with what you'd call a generous attention span, so I was worried he wouldn't be able to get into the wire, but he loved it

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Is this some kind of series for the gays?

Like Queer as Folk or something?

Is there lots of bare man on bare man "acting"?

well carcetti was in queer as folk

FAQ on
    edited July 2010
    four and one are the best seasons

take that to the bank

FAQ on
    edited July 2010
    carcetti is cast as littlefinger in game of thrones too

oooooooooooooh can't wait

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    carcetti could fuck me in the ass and then raise my taxes and I couldn't even get mad

FAQ on
  • blackpyrblackpyr is a dandy warhol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Season one is awesome. It doesn't, however, migrate towards the greater point of the show.

The wire ends up, at its core, being an excellent treatise on societal institutions and how they work in tandem, or in conflict (or how simply don't work at all). The show really does touch on how these institutions actually get shit done, how a city in decline actually handles the pressure... Season two notably addresses the economic core of failing american city. Everything else, the kids, the press, the pols....

"I caught him, bunk, on the wire I caught him.... and he doesn't fucking know it."

well it's all in the game.

donate the 70+ hours to watch all of this episodic gem
    my hand to god, you won't be disappointed

blackpyr on
    cheAndy.jpg
    edited July 2010
    One of the most memorable scenes in the entire series (minor spoilers).

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Game's the same, just got more fierce"

Thanks guys, now I have to start another re-watch.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    honestly it's hard for me to recognize sometimes that these are actors

the freshest example of this in my mind right now is the city editor of the baltimore sun in the fifth season, gus haynes

he is so good and so clean and so perfect, you would swear they were filming in the actual news room

in the truest sense, this show is amazing

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    seriously

i have no trouble believing omar little is in an apartment somewhere eating honey nut

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2010
    The Wire is my favorite t.v. show of all time. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-watch it all.

Alan Sepinwall does an essay about each episode at http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching It's fascinating reading material.

I love season four if not just for the politics and the general awesomeness that is Tommy Carcetti.

You can tell that Sepinwall is really into the show. His interview with David Simon is fantastic.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    honestly it's hard for me to recognize sometimes that these are actors

the freshest example of this in my mind right now is the city editor of the baltimore sun in the fifth season, gus haynes

he is so good and so clean and so perfect, you would swear they were filming in the actual news room

in the truest sense, this show is amazing

well, technically, the girl who played Snoop wasn't an actress. she pretty much played the person she would probably be today if she didn't turn her life around after being sentenced to prison at 14. she met Michael Williams (Omar Little, also Saul Williams' brother) in a bar in Baltimore and he asked her to come tryout for casting, so she did and got the part.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Pearson was born to two incarcerated drug addicts and raised in an East Baltimore foster home. Born premature and weighing only three pounds, she was not expected to live. She was so small she was fed with an eyedropper until she could be fed normally.
    Instead of attending school, Pearson worked as a drug dealer. At the age of 14, she was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a girl named Okia Toomer and sentenced to eight years at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup, Maryland.[1] Pearson said her life turned around at the age of 18 when Arnold Loney, a local drug dealer who looked out for her and sent her money in prison, was shot and killed. It was he who had given her the nickname "Snoop" because she reminded him of Charlie Brown's beagle Snoopy in the comic strip Peanuts. While in prison, she earned her GED and was released in 2000. She landed a local job fabricating car bumpers, she says, but was fired after only two weeks when her employer learned she had a prison record.

Monoxide on