As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Only 2 weeks left! Sign up to the PA friend list in the OP now!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Movitz wrote: »
    exoplasm wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    3. Learning to spawn larva without having to go back to my base is the best thing I have ever done to make powering an army fast

Could you explain how this is done to me?

I always have 5,6,7 bound to my hatcheries but I still double tap it to go back and select the queen.

Click on the minimap. Before Blizzard nerfs it.

Edit: To elaborate: hotkey queens, select them, hold shift and then click spawn larva on all your hatcheries by clicking on the mini map. The nearest queens will do it. Shift may or may not be necessary, I forget.

Ah, did not know the nearest was selected to do it, what happens if the nearest is out of energy? I will try this tonight anyway but I'm stuck at work for the rest of the day.

the nearest with energy will cast it, so if ones out of energy you may get a queen running across the map. Queens almost always have enough energy though, unless it's a brand new queen and you dumped a creep tumour

so yeah, just group all your queens, select the group, press V, mash the minimap until you manage to hit all your hatcheries (shift not necessary)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    exoplasm wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    3. Learning to spawn larva without having to go back to my base is the best thing I have ever done to make powering an army fast

Could you explain how this is done to me?

I always have 5,6,7 bound to my hatcheries but I still double tap it to go back and select the queen.

Click on the minimap. Before Blizzard nerfs it.

Edit: To elaborate: hotkey queens, select them, hold shift and then click spawn larva on all your hatcheries by clicking on the mini map. The nearest queens will do it. Shift may or may not be necessary, I forget.

Ah, did not know the nearest was selected to do it, what happens if the nearest is out of energy? I will try this tonight anyway but I'm stuck at work for the rest of the day.

the nearest with energy will cast it, so if ones out of energy you may get a queen running across the map. Queens almost always have enough energy though, unless it's a brand new queen and you dumped a creep tumour

so yeah, just group all your queens, select the group, press V, mash the minimap until you manage to hit all your hatcheries (shift not necessary)

That's what I assumed, I can see myself fuck this up so hard but will of course do it all the time nonetheless from now on. Thanks for explaining.

Movitz on
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only a few hours (and pages) ago I was a supporter of vent. Then it became full even before people began logging on. So now I'm a hater too.

Mumble worked great last night when I was on, did it become unstable? I like all the features, call quality was good, and seeing when a player is deafened/muted is ftw.

Also, exo, are you sure it's not 5 GB bandwidth limit? 5 MB seems retardedly low, and we probably passed it up within the first hour last night.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Only a few hours (and pages) ago I was a supporter of vent. Then it became full even before people began logging on. So now I'm a hater too.

Mumble worked great last night when I was on, did it become unstable? I like all the features, call quality was good, and seeing when a player is deafened/muted is ftw.

Also, exo, are you sure it's not 5 GB bandwidth limit? 5 MB seems retardedly low, and we probably passed it up within the first hour last night.

MegaBits not Bytes probably.
    Which generally indicates how fast something can transfer not how much. I am reading your comment out of context though but I think this is probably what was meant.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Which generally indicates how fast something can transfer not how much. I am reading your comment out of context though but I think this is probably what was meant.
    Uh, what. Megabits and megabytes measure the same thing—quantity of data.

Either can be "per second" which gives you a transfer rate.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah when people talk about speed though MBit/s seems to be what people mention it as. And that it is more like that 5MBit/s is the upseed he can get and not the maximum data usage.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah when people talk about speed though MBit/s seems to be what people mention it as. And that it is more like that 5MBit/s is the upseed he can get and not the maximum data usage.

I may have misunderstood what exo was saying. It makes more sense for him to mean 5MBit/s max. For whatever reason I was thinking it was a monthly allowance like many server hosts have.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was under the impression most hosts charged you per slot and not data usage.
    I could be wrong though. All the local hosts seems to be like that here though.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So how about them Starcrafts.

Did some playing on the 4v4 last night. Actually had fun with it against AI enemies with my friends. One of my friends built a few command centers at his ramp instead of bunkers... and he put the planetary defense on them. It was funny, and surprisingly effective. Definitely not a strategy to do in a serious game, though...

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Did some playing on the 4v4 last night. Actually had fun with it against AI enemies with my friends. One of my friends built a few command centers at his ramp instead of bunkers... and he put the planetary defense on them. It was funny, and surprisingly effective. Definitely not a strategy to do in a serious game, though...

I have yet to anything more than a 2v2 - I'd like to try a 4v4 but the EU servers have decided to shit themselves.
    again.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't stand to play anything more than 2v2 against other players

just such a huge feeling of helplessness involved

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HerrCron wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »

I have yet to anything more than a 2v2 - I'd like to try a 4v4 but the EU servers have decided to shit themselves.
    again.

Then you've not experienced the joy of NEW COLORS.

Once you do 4v4, there are new color options for your units. I like the Dark Grey, which is essentially black. Looks awesome.

there's also brown, hot pink, light grey, violet, etc

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    technical mumbo jumbo unrelated to sc2

I may have misunderstood what exo was saying. It makes more sense for him to mean 5MBit/s max. For whatever reason I was thinking it was a monthly allowance like many server hosts have.

The server I initially attempted to use has a 100 mbit connection, with a commitment to 5 mbit usage (for billing). Anything above that is billed at 95th percentile, hence not wanting to go above 5 mbit sustainted usage. It probably would not have happened with the number of people we had on, though. The real problem was the limited CPU cycles (virtual server with only 1 CPU allocated).

For $4.50 per month I have 25 user capacity with none of the above problems.

Meanwhile, in SC2... I'm officially dropping random for Zerg. It is my favorite race and I really need to focus on it, cause eztoss is throwin' my game off, ya know?

Edit: also one last note on mumble: I have managed to configure a channel arrangement that allows coaches and players to have privacy while also allowing the spectators to listen in on them.

Pro: Spectators can hear what the coaches and players are talking about.
    Con: They won't know or care if they are talking over you.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Played one 2v2 yesterday, pt v. pz. I'm zerg. I got simultaneously 10pooled and reaper rushed while my ally was macro'ing. I remembered why I've grown full of distain of 2v2.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've lost about 8 of the 10 games played since coming back. I think I have more fun watching SC2 than playing it.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I can't understand my record, really. I'll win like 10 games in a row, then with the exact same strategy I'll lose 8 games, then I'll switch it up and win 2, but one win is just because the other guy made one dumb mistake. Which would kind of make sense that hey, win some, lose some, but I'm not just winning some and losing some, I'm going on streaks of just being beaten to crap by "even matches", then win against favored....

Khavall on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    Yeah I can't understand my record, really. I'll win like 10 games in a row, then with the exact same strategy I'll lose 8 games, then I'll switch it up and win 2, but one win is just because the other guy made one dumb mistake. Which would kind of make sense that hey, win some, lose some, but I'm not just winning some and losing some, I'm going on streaks of just being beaten to crap by "even matches", then win against favored....

It happens, you just have to keep going, watch the replays of your losses and see what you could have done differently or try to refine your timing attacks and such. You're squarely in the "practice" phase right now, just bordering the "pretty good at this" stage

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It happens, you just have to keep going, watch the replays of your losses and see what you could have done differently or try to refine your timing attacks and such. You're squarely in the "practice" phase right now, just bordering the "pretty good at this" stage

Look at this freakn guy.

What on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What wrote: »

Look at this freakn guy.

Bronze #1 handin' out the tips 8-)

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yo enders come drink natty with me and duld tonight and lets 3v3

s'long as u dont get mad

iowa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    iowa wrote: »

s'long as u dont get mad

as long as I can mass marine

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    that's literally what i do in every team game we play.

i killed 2 guys in a 2v2 with mass marine medivac while duld sat back deciding what he wanted to build the whole game. 'gat dang banelings? no mutas? no ill nydus this newb' *ends up not doing anything*

iowa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

s'long as u dont get mad

Hero marine kills seige tank with dying shot

Rivulent on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have the patience to study replays. Maybe that's why I'm so bad at this game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that's literally what i do in every team game we play.

i killed 2 guys in a 2v2 with mass marine medivac while duld sat back deciding what he wanted to build the whole game. 'gat dang banelings? no mutas? no ill nydus this newb' *ends up not doing anything*

Fungal growth?

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    so we seriously cant just get on vent and play this guys

iowa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't have the patience to study replays. Maybe that's why I'm so bad at this game.

I'm same way. End of every game is the same story. "How the fuck did he afford all that on one base? Fuck toss." Newgame

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    edited July 2010

s'long as u dont get mad

Hero marine kills seige tank with dying shot

haha I need to load up that replay and gif that

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright StarCraft 2 PAers, I have a question.

So I've been steamrolling the AI with on race at a time to try and build up some semblance of ability to play this game, and I recently start working on zerg. My problem? Not enough gas. I can get like 3 expansions churning gas from both geysers like its taco night and I'm still burning gas way faster than I can burn all my minerals.

So what do I do with all them excess minerals? Just mass zerglings and overlords? Come up with a more "1337" build order that maximizes gas efficiency? Both?

Walt on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Walt wrote: »

So I've been steamrolling the AI with on race at a time to try and build up some semblance of ability to play this game, and I recently start working on zerg. My problem? Not enough gas. I can get like 3 expansions churning gas from both geysers like its taco night and I'm still burning gas way faster than I can burn all my minerals.

So what do I do with all them excess minerals? Just mass zerglings and overlords? Come up with a more "1337" build order that maximizes gas efficiency? Both?

Yeah both.
    Also don't try to build a few of every gas unit, that will leave you starved with an underpowered army. I mean, who do you think you are? Terran?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am tempted to use a lot of gas early on to get roaches since they seem pretty sweet for the early game. Would I be shooting myself in the foot to skip the early roaches to save some gas?

Walt on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You need a meat and potatoes of your army.

You cant have a small band of rad dudes that do differing things, they'll get eaten by zerglings.

This AINT D&D BOY

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am tempted to use a lot of gas early on to get roaches since they seem pretty sweet for the early game. Would I be shooting myself in the foot to skip the early roaches to save some gas?

A lot of people skip roaches and go straight to hydra, or do ling/muta.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    build hatcheries. spam lings when can/need to.
    being able to produce silly amounts of lings and throwing them at different economy sites forces the enemy to keep his army moving or tied down to one spot. don't dedicate too much food to lings, though, 15-20 should do imo.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

1. Don't build your army based on your resources.
    2. Get your resources based on your desired army.
    3. Get your desired army based on what the opponent is doing.
    4. Profit.

Zerg is generally a gas-heavy race, so your desired army should take that into consideration.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It depends on the map and what your opponent is doing. If you're playing a Protoss on Steppes of War and they 2 gate you really need early roaches to hold of the Zealots, along with some lings for the inevitable stalkers. Steppes is a bit of an odd case since the distance is so short, I was able to hold off 2 gate pressure with some lings/spine crawlers while I teched to Hydra (and got my expo running) on Blistering Sands for example.

So, to summarize: Maybe. It should be pointed out that the "in" thing for pros to do now is skip Roach completely and fight with ling/Hydra

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trus wrote: »

It depends on the map and what your opponent is doing. If you're playing a Protoss on Steppes of War and they 2 gate you really need early roaches to hold of the Zealots, along with some lings for the inevitable stalkers. Steppes is a bit of an odd case since the distance is so short, I was able to hold off 2 gate pressure with some lings/spine crawlers while I teched to Hydra (and got my expo running) on Blistering Sands for example.

So, to summarize: Maybe. It should be pointed out that the "in" thing for pros to do now is skip Roach completely and fight with ling/Hydra

screw that.
    terrans enjoy rolling around with mech. lings? CRISPY! hydras? RED CLOUD OF GOO!
    and toss storms/colLOLossi really cream the units you name..

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Trus wrote: »

screw that.
    terrans enjoy rolling around with mech. lings? CRISPY! hydras? RED CLOUD OF GOO!
    and toss storms/colLOLossi really cream the units you name..

Obviously you don't *only* use those units, they are your mid game, the meat of the game. Against meching Terran you transition into Ultra/Ling and against collossi you get Corruptors, if Toss goes storm just make sure you have your creep spread so you can quickly move out of it

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In so many of my recent games I've completely forgotten about roaches, guess that makes me pro. :D

Not exactly forgotten...I just dont know how to do the hold position, a click micro technique...thing. I dunno even what to call it. Where you move backwards, stop, fire, and keep moving without taking much damage. I know there are 2 or 3 different ways of doing the same thing, I just don't understand it. Early on battles with roaches seem to be heavy with a need for that skillset, and I feel comfier with lings.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ezekiel wrote: »
    In so many of my recent games I've completely forgotten about roaches, guess that makes me pro. :D

Not exactly forgotten...I just dont know how to do the hold position, a click micro technique...thing. I dunno even what to call it. Where you move backwards, stop, fire, and keep moving without taking much damage. I know there are 2 or 3 different ways of doing the same thing, I just don't understand it.

No, that makes you forgetful...:P

Maratastik on