As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The FAN FICTION and IDEAS Thread - First Sign of the Apocalypse

cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Graphic Violence
This thread is for people to post about fan fiction. It can be ideas, outlines, fantasies, full-fledged stories, etc. Let your darkest inhibitions go and write something you like. Because no one else will do it for you.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
cshadow42 on

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    pstt, you might want to rename it the idea thread as it sounds more respectable

Furu on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do I rename a thread?

cshadow42 on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    How do I rename a thread?

Go to the full edit thing.

Furu on
    edited July 2010
    Ta da! Thanks Furu!

cshadow42 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yo, so I got an idea.

I was thinking about my Nazi super-soldier. the idea is that at the end of the war he was put in suspended animation in a secret bunker beneath Berlin, and then after sixty-odd years the chamber breaks, and he wakes up. He makes his way to the surface and wanders through this enw Berlin, completely amazed by all the changes made to his beloved country, the new technology etc.

Anyway, so his previous idealogy of Nazism has been essentially made defunct. His country was defeated and torn apart, the Reich was crushed, their acts against minorities revealed to the world etc. Now, what I need to figure out is this, how "in the know" can I make this character before he becomes essentially unsupportable as a character?

I mean, the plan is that he realises that Nazism as an idealogy was destroyed and is now hated, and that in the eyes of the people he cannot remain a Nazi and be a hero. Now, do I make it so that this gu ywas a die-hard Nazi who was aware of the final solution and all that and went along with it, or do I make him a patriot but not a fervent believer in the master race, more of a Rommel than a Goebbels, a soldier who was not told about the inner goings on of the reich but rather simply used as a propaganda tool and told to go and fight.

I quite like the idea that he was specifically military and not Gestapo, and that he never liked the secret police, their methods and ideologies ("Fuelled by hate of their enemies rather than pride in their country, little men who spat and raged and held command through fear"). I also kind of liked the idea that he was an older guy, in his early thirties when the war began and he recieved his powers, not raised solely into the ideals of Nazism and not in the Hitler youth from a very young age, able to vaguely remember WWI etc. I get the idea that his father was a soldier and a hard working man who taught him patriotism and honour and integrity rather than pure Aryan supremacy.

On the other hand, is that copping out? The concept is how would a Nazi super-soldier react to the modern day, overcoming his past to actually become a hero etc, but if I divorce him from the raw ideology am I basically making him only a Nazi in name, shying away from that core concept? I want him to be respectable by the reader, a sort of aura of being older than he looks, of having seen and done a lot of hard things, a voice of experience and calm and honour.

Basically, how much of a Nazi can I make him before he becomes unsupportable as a hero?

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    Arrgh fucking double post.

Solar on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it copping out?

A little.

I think the thing that'll be the real sell on this is emphasizing a man frozen in ice for six decades. Sixty years. Sixty years is a lot of time for anyone to process missing out on. Sixty years is a lot to deal with for a single person who didn't even get to see that time. Who is left that he even knows? Is there anything he can see, eat, wear, or use that he can get his hands on from that time anymore?

Of course consider his past life details, but...the treatment of the big sleep is what's gonna make this work, or not.

Linespider5 on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I agree...after six decades on ice I would have more questions than how the War on Terror ended.

Jester313 on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can you remove the word fanfiction from the OP entirely?

I'm not sure there's a clear line between fanfiction and canon in comics. Every writer has his or her own ideas about a character and will retcon when necessary. Reboots happen all the time. Every few years, DC will rewrite the entire history of the DCU based on what worked and what did not.

Not to mention that there are writers who started out as fanfiction writers. Jim Shooter used to write Legion of Super-Heroes fanfiction and sending it to DC. He created Karate Kid this way, (I think).

TeaSpoon on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When Jason Todd came back, and the whole HUSH mess confused things, I started working on a Jason Todd returns concept thing. I did this having pretty little exposure to the Bat-books. I mostly just watched B:TAS whenever I could, read a couple issues of Batman in stores, and would occasionaly read a book that had Batman in it.

I have no idea of the specifics of what really happened with Jason's return, but this how I would have done it.

Ra's agents track Batman as he buries Jason, and later exhume the body. Ra's takes the body, uses super-science and magic to restore Jason to life. A big part of this idea would be Ra's using a bunch of Bat-rogues to get at Batman. Ra's and Luthor team up, pooling their resources to make Todd into the ultimate nemesis for Batman.

Jason is brainwashed by Mr Mind, trained by Cain and Deathstroke and Deadshot. Something sort of like HUSH goes down, with the Rogues allying to destroy Batman and his family.

I had some kind of event planned that would distract most of the JLA, including Superman, from saving the day. In a shared universe, you have to think of these things. Superman and the Flashes could save the day pretty much any time, in almost any event, so you have think of a way to keep them from helping.

There would be a reveal that the plan was for Jason to kill Dick in front of Batman, and then Deathstroke to kill Batman. The entire bat-clan would be involved somehow in this huge brawl against the Rogues. The Joker, Penguin, Two-face, and so on would be used by Ra's, but some Rogues would sit it out. Bane and the Riddler would not be involved.

I couldn't quite get the ending figured out. Something happens and Jason can't kill Dick, despite defeating him, which causes things to fall apart. The Bat-family is badly beaten, but survives. Ra's does something ridiculous, like unleashing airborne AIDS or something.

DouglasDanger on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Villains can do absolutely unspeakable things, seriously, horrible, horrible things and still be redeemable, it just takes more to redeem them. ANd their reasons for doing the former. A story I play with in my head features someone who was a complete monster before the story picks up but I feel I've developed his history in such a way that its not forgivable but understandable and explains his motivations in the story proper.

Being a Nazi in fiction is also not really the worst thing from audience perspective anymore, they've been nullified a lot by media over the decades.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    Fan Fiction is fiction by fans that has not been published. Canon is fiction that has been published.

DouglasDanger on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It is really, really far too late, but I wish rather than Grayson taking Bruce's place, we got a series called The Batmen.

Dick's chest-bat-symbol could be blue, Tim in Red, Jason in white (totally missing the point of being stealthy and a tip to his back from the dead status) and Cass in yellow.

Togethor they cover everything Bruce can do. Then Bruce comes back from the past and acts as he did in Batman Beyond, a much older man. He pulls out a Bat-mecha every now and again for brawls.

Oh, Damian (spelling?), Stephanie and some others can all be Robins and hang out in the Batcave training and just being kids, annoying an ancient Alfred.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited July 2010
    I think it would have been cool if they played up the family aspect after Bruce disappeared.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    I basically just want Bat-Power Rangers all kung fuing mobsters in clown make-up. With jazz playing in the background.

And Jason wearing a home-made Bat-suit all outta shape using a silenced pistol and a tool belt for a utility belt.

And Cass being far more intimidating and creepy than Bruce ever was.

And Bruce talking to himself when no one is around, by that I mean Batmite and the Lump.

Thats all.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited July 2010
    You totally just made me want to see the Lump again at some point in Morrison's run. In fact, now I can't help but wonder if it'll be happening.

Linespider5 on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    @Solar:

I think your idea is good, but it would be viewed too much like a bizarro Captain America. What I think would be more interesting is if you took an American soldier any time from 9/11 on and did that sorta twist. Where he was your poster boy patriot, but due to some terrorist bio-weapon his body functions stopped and suspended him in time. Fast forward to like 2080 and the whole world is different, America may not even have come out on top for the war on terror. Maybe Britain aides the US but then we go back to the way it was 100s of years ago and have a king ruling. I think if you push forward more into time you have more liberties in what you want to write or where you go because essentially you don't have to conform to what may be feasible for our time.

cardboard delusions on
    edited July 2010
    Some more stuff, I dunno if this means I like DC or not, but my mainstream comic ideas are usually about DC.

Hows about we put Wonder Woman in Greek clothes and sandels, jeeze.

I'm kinda sad Blackest Night crossed over into every comic, because I wanted the new Blue Beetle Jaime to meet Ted via a Day of the Dead maraca song and dance number. Can't you picture Ted Kord with half his head missing singing "It's the Day of the Dead down in old Mec ee co!"? No? Just me?

New Kypton doesn't get 'ploded, but sent to the future! Why not? Superman comics should have stuff like that happen all the time.

Now on to Legion of Superheroes. Whole new cast. I'm sick of them, three versions of a comic that goes no where.

The whole white wash, return of old, often dead heroes thing they've been up to would be magically changed.

Endless_Serpents on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some more stuff, I dunno if this means I like DC or not, but my mainstream comic ideas are usually about DC.

Hows about we put Wonder Woman in Greek clothes and sandels, jeeze.

I'm kinda sad Blackest Night crossed over into every comic, because I wanted the new Blue Beetle Jaime to meet Ted via a Day of the Dead maraca song and dance number. Can't you picture Ted Kord with half his head missing singing "It's the Day of the Dead down in old Mec ee co!"? No? Just me?

New Kypton doesn't get 'ploded, but sent to the future! Why not? Superman comics should have stuff like that happen all the time.

Now on to Legion of Superheroes. Whole new cast. I'm sick of them, three versions of a comic that goes no where.

The whole white wash, return of old, often dead heroes thing they've been up to would be magically changed.

Oh my god, that's an amazing idea. It would restore the status quo the editors love so much and it would leave New Krypton a force in the DCU. You should write Superman. How do you apply for the job? You may quote me in your CV.

TeaSpoon on
    edited July 2010
    Doesnt need to be sent to the future, could just be transported to the other end of the UNiverse.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks TeaSpoon, I've had that one for ages.

While I'm being nerdy, here is my Justice League; since at the moment (as far as I know, I don't read it these days) the cast is coming and going daily and they're all a bit defeatist:

Black Lightening as leader
    Wonder Woman from time to time, becoming the leader on certain magical missions

Booster Gold, an unwanted PR man
    Blue Beetle, who would take the place of Superman as the guy that gets powers as the plot demands

Kyle as Blue Lantern
    The...the red headed one as Green Lantern, I like that one I've just forgot his name. So!

Etrigan, in new threads, something Medieval, Tudor-like
    Supergirl, and she'd have a different costume every issue 'cos thats fun
    The good Toy Man from Japan

Knight & Squire from jolly old England

Aquaman and possibly Mera, but they'd be both brave and bold in personality, OUTRAGEOUS

Beast Boy and Cyborg, who live in a Shaggy-like Mystery Machine and just wait to get a call

Wildcat as the mentor, kind ear and trainer

Aw heck, how about Fire & Ice too.

EDIT: I say send it to the future because they won't be so over-powering in an age of time travel and science-magic.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited July 2010
    Is it copping out?

A little.

I think the thing that'll be the real sell on this is emphasizing a man frozen in ice for six decades. Sixty years. Sixty years is a lot of time for anyone to process missing out on. Sixty years is a lot to deal with for a single person who didn't even get to see that time. Who is left that he even knows? Is there anything he can see, eat, wear, or use that he can get his hands on from that time anymore?

Of course consider his past life details, but...the treatment of the big sleep is what's gonna make this work, or not.

I can see what you're saying. You think the focus should be on the raw essential that everything is different rather than his Nazi super-soldier origins? I think that should be an aspect, and important aspect, but not the sole focus of the character. You know when you see a documentary about WWII and they interview a German Soldier and you think "hey, this wasn't a bad guy. He was just a kid whn the war started, he was basically brainwashed by thet state into believing their ideology, he may have been fighting on the wrong side but that doesn't mean he personally is a terrible person." And that's what I wanted to show with this super-soldier.
    @Solar:

I think your idea is good, but it would be viewed too much like a bizarro Captain America. What I think would be more interesting is if you took an American soldier any time from 9/11 on and did that sorta twist. Where he was your poster boy patriot, but due to some terrorist bio-weapon his body functions stopped and suspended him in time. Fast forward to like 2080 and the whole world is different, America may not even have come out on top for the war on terror. Maybe Britain aides the US but then we go back to the way it was 100s of years ago and have a king ruling. I think if you push forward more into time you have more liberties in what you want to write or where you go because essentially you don't have to conform to what may be feasible for our time.

See, I like that idea but the character was suppsed to fit in a whole superhero unvierse that I have already set-up and spent loads of time on. Still I can see what you're saying it is very bizarro Cap, however really any character you make in superhero comics is going to be similar in background to another superhero that already exists. Both characters could do the "what if your idealogy was seen as outdated and dispicable and you had to discard it in order to be the hero that you have always desired to be?" I just think that Nazism is more easily placed in the dispicable pile, a US Patriot soldier going into the future where the US lost the War on Terror is a lot more difficult to place in that area and I don't want to be pushing forward any specific agenda ("the War of Terror is a Bad Thing!") because that's not the theme of the book.
    Villains can do absolutely unspeakable things, seriously, horrible, horrible things and still be redeemable, it just takes more to redeem them. ANd their reasons for doing the former. A story I play with in my head features someone who was a complete monster before the story picks up but I feel I've developed his history in such a way that its not forgivable but understandable and explains his motivations in the story proper.

Being a Nazi in fiction is also not really the worst thing from audience perspective anymore, they've been nullified a lot by media over the decades.

I do think there is a moral event horizon in many ways though, and though redemption is possible is it too much to say "and he was a full on minority killing genocidal Nazi," as opposed to "He was a patriot who wanted to serve his country and was simply on the wrong side." I like the second one more (a lot more actually) but I get the suspicion that it's shying away from what makes the character unique anwyay.

Thanks for the replies guys, they are really pretty useful.

Solar on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On a mission while Dick is still Batman, Damian Wayne gets put under a trance by Mad Hatter and envisions himself in Alice's place in Wonderland. The characters are of course reflections of people he knows, like the Queen is Talia. Hijinks ensue, and in the end, we learn a little bit more about Damian. He's finally rescued by Dick and they have a touching brotherly moment.

Tairu on
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Is it copping out?

A little.

I can see what you're saying. You think the focus should be on the raw essential that everything is different rather than his Nazi super-soldier origins? I think that should be an aspect, and important aspect, but not the sole focus of the character. You know when you see a documentary about WWII and they interview a German Soldier and you think "hey, this wasn't a bad guy. He was just a kid whn the war started, he was basically brainwashed by thet state into believing their ideology, he may have been fighting on the wrong side but that doesn't mean he personally is a terrible person." And that's what I wanted to show with this super-soldier.
    @Solar:

See, I like that idea but the character was suppsed to fit in a whole superhero unvierse that I have already set-up and spent loads of time on. Still I can see what you're saying it is very bizarro Cap, however really any character you make in superhero comics is going to be similar in background to another superhero that already exists. Both characters could do the "what if your idealogy was seen as outdated and dispicable and you had to discard it in order to be the hero that you have always desired to be?" I just think that Nazism is more easily placed in the dispicable pile, a US Patriot soldier going into the future where the US lost the War on Terror is a lot more difficult to place in that area and I don't want to be pushing forward any specific agenda ("the War of Terror is a Bad Thing!") because that's not the theme of the book.

I do think there is a moral event horizon in many ways though, and though redemption is possible is it too much to say "and he was a full on minority killing genocidal Nazi," as opposed to "He was a patriot who wanted to serve his country and was simply on the wrong side." I like the second one more (a lot more actually) but I get the suspicion that it's shying away from what makes the character unique anwyay.

Thanks for the replies guys, they are really pretty useful.

The example that comes to mind is Angel from Buffy. He was like a psychopathic, torturing, raping, child-murdering demon and yet hes the big hero during the time of the series.

If you give them a believable, genuine curve that leads them from what they're doing to good, you can get away with, as long as you never try to portray tehm as holier than thou.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to see a Hellboy/TMNT teamup comic. Some subterranean skull-hunt leads Hellboy into the turtles' neighborhood, and wacky hijinks ensue. Big red demon guy running with four tiny green mutant ninja turtles. If I could just draw Hellboy, I'd do it myself, but he's just too weird for me to get right.

Linespider5 on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now that WB owns Mortal Kombat and they've done MK vs DC, I've always wondered if they could somehow incorporate elements of the MK universe into the DC universe proper. Maybe have an event that has the MK villains invading through Gotham City, and have its heroes work to stop it. Afterwards, maybe have organizations like the Lin Kuei, Outerworld Investigation, etc. pop up from time to time.

On the subject of crossovers, I'd like a few Capcom/Marvel oneshots or miniseries revolving around the match-ups they had in the MvC3 trailers so far:
    • Wolverine enters a martial arts tournament to investigate the disappearance of its fighters, with maybe Iron Fist and the like tagging along. Eventually he meets up with Ryu. Ass kicking ensues.
    • Tony catches Morrigan trying to drain his energy, and they chase after each other at night, all the while half-fighting, half-flirting with each other.
    • Chris Redfield investigates an organization that kidnapped Banner so they could make even more powerful Tyrants from his blood. Hulks eventually gets unleashed and starts smashing every RE monster flung at him.
    • Deadpool gets hired to take out Dante. They make mincemeat of each other before joining forces to shoot and slice an army of mercenaries and demons.

Finally, Deadpool/Power Pack. Maybe have Deadpool get all of their powers at some point, and have him abuse those powers in hilarious ways.

SpeedySwaf on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aw shit, I heard fan fiction and came running. Let's see...

The Brothers Strange, Sons of the Sorcerer - my attempt at a Harry Potter/Marvel universe crossover, which I quickly abandoned after a few chapters. It was way too ambitious a story.

Beyond that, I've brainstormed a few other comic fan fics. It's been a few years, though, so most of this stuff is way out of date.

Black Panther/Blade: Blood Feud - Following the events of the Guggenheim Blade series from a few years ago, and taking place roughly after Nezhno leaves the X-Men to return to Wakanda, the story is essentially a "Wakanda under siege" type story with vampires as the aggressors. In this case, vampires who'd been destroyed in a purge by the Black Panther and the Wakandan army hundreds of years ago suddenly return to life (thanks to the events of the Blade series) and begin infiltrating and taking over the country. BP, Storm, and Nezhno return just as the mayhem really gets started, as does Blade, who has tracked the leader of the vampires. A lot of fighting and intrigue and shit happens (I never got to specific as to what exactly), but the interesting parts were that the BP who defeated the vampires initially returns because she was turned before destroying the invading vampires, and she turns Nezhno before he can die from using his powers too much.

Ultimate Comics: Second Cities - before the relaunch of the Ultimate line, I had the idea of expanding the universe by introducing heroes from around the country, particularly in Chicago, LA, and New Orleans. The main focus was on these heroes emerging in the post Ultimatum world. These characters were all centered around Hawk-Owl and Woody, and since those guys are pastiches of Batman and Robin, I made all the other characters similarly DC analogs or existing Marvel characters who were clearly DC analogs. So I ended up with this character list:

Hawk-Owl - after losing several people close to him in Ultimatum, Jack Danner takes his job of protecting Chicago more seriously. He turns Danner Industries into a government weapons contractor in order to get SHIELD to keep out of Chicago and let him handle the local criminal element. The idea would be to expand his rogues gallery.
    The Sentry - basically the silver age Sentry, operating out of LA, with his main adversaries being the Pride. his origin, though, is much different than the original Sentry's.
    Namora - Warrior Queen of Atlantis, operates out of the waters off NO, currently fighting a civil war against Namor
    Night Thrasher - formerly Woody, Hank Kipple becomes Night Thrasher out of rebellion and anger over Jack leaving him to his own devices. He is unknowingly trained in martial arts by the Hand, making him more effective. He attends to the School of Tomorrow, where he recruits fellow students to start up the New Warriors
    Nova - Paige Guthrie inherits her brother's flying powers, then stumbles upon an ancient spaceship, where she finds a sentient AI in a power ring. When she puts it on, she becomes the newest Nova centurion

Fuck, looking over my notes, I had huge plans for the Second Cities story...

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mask, you're plot synopsis for the Second Cities thing shares a few similarites to Ultimate X going on right now. It's actually a really great book too, easily the best thing Loeb's done in a long time.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since this thread grew out of the X-Men thread, I will start there.

X-force - I would take the Wetworks theme a little further and make these guys are real black ops team. I would place them firmly in the Marvel universe proper and give them frequent run ins with Hydra, Shield, Roxxon etc...Sort of the mutant equivalent to Steve's Secret Avengers. Line up would be be tweaked just slightly from the new line up in the previews. I would I like Wolverine, Deadpool, Fantomex, Psylocke, Domino, Pete Wisdom and Gambit. Archangel would become their financial backer and would also start setting their agenda taking a roll as a major player in Marvel U. on par with Cyclops, Cap or Mr. Fantastic. He would occasionally get involved physically, but not often and always in the full metal wing form. Wolverine and Wisdom share the field commander roll and Deadpool though comedic would tone down the goofiness for this book.

X-men - One title for Scott's squad consisting of Cyclops, Emma, Beast, Iceman, Archangel ( with feathered wings), X-man, and Storm. This is your traditional X- title that focuses on the classic X-villians etc. Other characters make frequent guest spots, like Poff. X, Wolverine, Magneto, Namor, pretty much the book that maintains the status quo they have now but with better focus on tighter plots and story archs that dont strech on for years at a time. I would deeply explore Cyclops moving to a more and more isollationist philosophy with Hank serving as his concience and Bobby,and Warren caught between. The world in this book would start move away from the prejudice towards mutants but Scott wont be able to trust so easily. This group is also alot of the X-mens big guns and will represent the X-Men in large events and crossovers, usually bringing Wolverine on board for those events.

Uncanny X-men - Havok's squad - consisting of Havok, Polaris, Marvel Girl, Colossus, Kitty, Hope, and Rogue. This group all have a little bit of resentment towards Scott so they splinter off into their own group. They are very friendly with the marvel universe proper and a great PR group for mutants as whole...this book strongly starts the move away from all the predjudice baggage that has weighed down these books for years. The title would split time between cosmic Marvel, fighting Avengers and Spider man Villians etc. and helping with the problems that face humanity as a whole they are the representatives for the mutant race in all the minor events and crossovers.

X- factor - leave it alone its prefect.

New Mutants etc... I would trim down all the other extraneous X- titles into A single book with a rotating cast. A sandbox title for all the New Mutants, Young X-men, The X- club and other surrogate groups. The book would be short 3-4 issue story arcs with different groups taking the spotlight for short runs. I would also occasionally use this title for single issues that focus on one character and develop the lesser knows into more well rounded deeper characters.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    edited July 2010
    OMIT Alternative

In light of the forthcoming OMIT for Amazing Spider-man, I’ve decided to present my own tale of how I think OMIT should be handled.

A couple caveats:
    1. I’m going to take what story has been done so far and work with it as best I can.
    2. I’m going to try to stay true to the characters as best I can, as I see them.
    3. This will be a synopsis, not a complete, ready-for-drawing script. Unless I get massive love from the trolls of course.

Opening:
    One of the ideas from their “100 Great Ideas” that Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Pym-Skrull had during the Initiative was the capability to detect when their reality has been altered. After all, in House of M, no one knew that reality had been altered until Layla Miller (?) zapped them. So Reed builds a device that lets him track down deviations in reality. That, in conjunction with him learning that the FF had somehow forgotten Spider-man’s identity, leads him to hone in on Spider-man as the focus point of the reality deviations.

Spider-man knows nothing, so under pressure from the FF and Avengers (after all, he is somehow responsible for screwing with their memories, just like the Sentry) he tries to get to the answer. This leads him to Dr. Strange, who after a mystic ritual (is there any other kind) determines that Mephisto is the responsible party, and that in order to have the kind of influence that he has, Parker had to have entered into some kind of deal with him. However, Dr. Strange doesn’t have the knowledge or power necessary to extract Parker from Mephisto’s deal. He tells Peter that the expert on this matter is.... Dr. Doom. For many years, Dr. Doom struggled to free his mother’s soul from Mephisto, after she sold her soul in exchange for Doom to have guaranteed success in his life.

Mephisto isn’t sitting idly by. He pre-emptively approachs Doom and makes a wager with him. If Doom can suceed in corruptng Pete,then Mephisto will cease enforcing the deal his mother made with him. For you see, while Mephisto guarantees that Doom will always return to his ‘success’, Mephisto parcels out that success on his terms. Mephisto guaranteed success, but not domination of the world. So in order for Doom to truly achieve his desires, he must be freed of his mother’s agreement. However, if Doom fails to corrupt Peter...then Doom must return his mother’s soul. For while Doom was able to free his mother’s soul, he was unable to place her in heaven. So for the meantime, he stores her soul in stasis.

This way it looks like there was an overall purpose behind Mephisto’s deal with Spider-man, as it was just a piece of a larger strategem. Mephisto was setting up the proper field for his bet with Doom.

So Peter travels to Latveria and approaches Doom. He doesn’t expect anything to happen, but he feels he must at least try. And who knows, maybe he’ll learn something.

To Peter’s surprise, Doom agrees to see him. Doom even agrees to help him. On the surface, it appears as if Doom just wants to one-up Reed Richards. But Peter suspects there is more at play here. He asks Doom what his price is, and Doom tells him that his price is Peter’s service for a time period. I’d like for that time period to be a year so as to tie in some other interesting stories, but for brevity let’s just say its a month. Peter says he cannot agree, as come on...Doom is evil. Doom tells him that he won’t ask Peter to do anything against his ethics. Of course Peter is even more suspicious, but cautiously agrees.

Doom says the ritual will take time, and that in order for it to work, MJ, the other focus of the reality altering, must be present. Basically, MJ has to stay within the sigiled confines of Castle Doom for the duration. Peter convinces MJ (who still knows the truth) to come to Latveria and Castle Doom. Doom begins the first portion of the ritual, wherein Peter’s memories are restored. However, those memories only exist within Castle Doom, and rapidly fade upon leaving. Now, more than ever, Peter wants to extract himself from his deal with Mephisto.

As part of his service to Doom, Peter acts as his seneschal/representative. He adopts a new costume and identity: the Doomspider. I’m picturing a black and green spider costume, with perhaps a cloak. Doom sends Peter on various errands. They seem innocent on the surface, but underneath they further Doom’s schemes. One example is that people from a neighboring country have been making incursions into Latveria to persecute a minority group, the Romas. Doom tells Peter to deal with it, so Peter goes out, webs them up, and turns them in to the authorities of the neighboring country (he doesn’t turn them in to Latveria because he knows Doom will kill them). Doom responds angrily to this, telling Peter that he was soft. Because sure enough, that group a week later comes back over the border and kills some townsfolk. Doom tells Peter that those deaths are his fault, and to an extent, Peter feels responsible. So Peter goes out again, and savagely beats the invaders, but stops short of killing them. He does his utmost to be the sinister Doomspider, and inspire such fear that they never return.

Peter also acts as an aide to Doom in battle. There can be an FF vs. Doom battle, in which Peter stands by and only acts to preserve Doom’s life and liberty. One complicating factor may be that Peter confides in Johnny Storm earlier as to what i going on, so that he has someone on the outside to rescue him if anything goes wrong.

Meanwhile,Doom entertains MJ at his castle. He treats her like a royal guest (e.g. private operas, dinners with him while Peter is back in the USA). And gradually, Doom starts to become romantically interested in MJ. She reminds him of his old true love (whom he eventually sacrificed in exchange for power). Doom knows that he can’t act against Peter, because he’d lose the bet. He would have to wait until after the bet is over, and would have to act cautiously because he knows any outright hostiliy against Peter by him will turn MJ away from him. Doom falling for MJ may even be part of Mephisto’s plan, as Mephisto wants to torment Doom for originally stealing what was his (Doom’s mother’s soul).

The time period for the bet is about to expire, and Doom’s plans accelerate. He fails to corrupt Peter (e.g. make him kill, perform seriously unethical acts). Peter is no dummy though. He came up with a back-up plan. Peter got himself an advisor: Loki. For a small price (I was thinking hosting troublesome Asgardian mishief imps that would plague Thor in Avenger’s tower), Loki shows Peter how to play Mephisto and Doom off against each other so that Peter ends up with his memories returned (maybe Doom misled Peter as to the memory only being restored within the castle confines, and a tattooed sigil (which fades away) can permanently restore Peter and MJ’s memories of their love within Peter). Granted, this doesn’t solve the alternate reality issue but Peter can explain what happened to the Avengers, and that he did his best to fix the issue. But the most important part, his love for MJ, is restored.

Conclusion:
    This way, it doesn’t seem like someone snaps their fingers and everything reverts in an issue or two. Rather, Pete must struggle and presevere againt corrupting forces to regain what he bargained away. I think to some extent the character must redeem himself.

Also, I think there could be some interesting long-term plot threads resultant from this. Doom, now in love with MJ, seeks to surreptiously destroy Peter. This may include funding his enemies. And Peter could find himself involved in various tasks to repay Loki, or it could just result in mischievous hijinks on Thor (e.g. he wakes up with his head on backwards for a day, someone paints a frowny face on his hammer, someone steals all his underwear, etc.).

cshadow42 on
    edited July 2010
    I can't adequately say how awesome that is cshadow42.

Endless_Serpents on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys. I have the best fan fiction idea. Hear me out on this, okay?

So you've got Superman right? And his world was just destroyed and most of his people killed. He's really bummed out and needs a chance to clear his head and get back to his roots. So he's gonna walk across America. For 12 issues. ITS GONNA BE AWESOME. He won't punch robots or fight evil. He's just gonna talk to people. And walk.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guys. I have the best fan fiction idea. Hear me out on this, okay?

So you've got Superman right? And his world was just destroyed and most of his people killed. He's really bummed out and needs a chance to clear his head and get back to his roots. So he's gonna walk across America. For 12 issues. ITS GONNA BE AWESOME. He won't punch robots or fight evil. He's just gonna talk to people. And walk.

Sounds like you're just ripping off Iron Man with the 12 issues of nothing happening.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    If I might tweak that idea slightly, replace Superman with the Sentry and it would be funny as fuck.

Oh God I just don't caaare, why don't youuu try saving the world for a change?

In the background of every scene would be a criminal getting away with something.

Endless_Serpents on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know why SWORD failed? No USAgent.

Make USAgent the bad cop to Brand's good cop, where it also mixes in superhero interactions, like the Avengers have a galactic member on the team who the US has no information on, and need to make sure he's not some renegade galactic murderer.

Beast could stay the smart guy, the Q to USAgent's Bond, and any GotG members who are kicked off the team because of Cosmic Avengers can be on this team.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    USAgent is a poor mans Taskmaster.

DarkWarrior on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Finally, Deadpool/Power Pack. Maybe have Deadpool get all of their powers at some point, and have him abuse those powers in hilarious ways.
    Deadpool should have more chances to abuse super powers in hilarious ways.
    I want to see him get a yellow power ring and use it to make his yellow inner-monologue boxes visible for everyone.

see317 on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2010
    You know what? I don't think we need a fanfiction thread.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.