As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] Only 2 weeks left! Sign up to the PA friend list in the OP now!

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since most of my practice is on Blistering Sands I guess what I will do is try skipping roaches in favor of hydras for a couple games and see if my mid game feels less wasteful with a stronger zergling backbone. I'm not trying to build up a comprehensive strategy (yet), just rudimentary competence with some basic builds for all 3 races so I that when I start playing humans as Random I can learn something productive from my losses and not just have to chalk everything up to brand-new-player syndrome.

Man now I can't wait to get home. I MUST HOTKEY MY QUEENS AND CREATE LARVA WEFPOIJSDG:LKAJSFWE:OIJG

Walt on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I'm kind of insulted.

So I just won a match against a "slightly favored" opponent, and when I checked on his profile, that was his first game.

Slightly favored, ladder system? That hurts.

Khavall on
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    Man, I'm kind of insulted.

So I just won a match against a "slightly favored" opponent, and when I checked on his profile, that was his first game.

Slightly favored, ladder system? That hurts.

So he was 0-0 going in. Which is better than...say....40-50. Better win avg.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Again, the favoured system is broken

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    Again, the favoured system is broken

Mine seems to work alright. I get me favored, opponent favored and even match ups all the time.

Maratastik on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mine works right. I always seem to get favored enemies, because b.net has faith in me, and I just crush them because I'm an awesome player and now I feel good about myself.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Mine works right. I always seem to get favored enemies, because b.net has faith in me, and I just crush them because I'm an awesome player and now I feel good about myself.

lies

Maratastik on
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People who weren't on the lobby last night missed some exceptional games. Exoplasm got the ball rolling with an intense action-packed game against Invictus, going mass queens into hydras to take the game in a nail-biting victory. Ryougi, not to be outdone, went mass queens+overseers off of 5 bases against Invictus (she had 20 something queens at some point). Unfortunately eztoss is overpowered and somehow beat that exceptional build with only 2 bases.

mEEksa on
    edited July 2010
    Likely only because of that huge zerg nerf that took infested terrans away from the overseer.

TheStig on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Had a great T(R)vT on Desert Oasis just now. After my proxy reapers didn't do much I expanded and built up an M&M force while attacking the opponent's SCVs with Vikings. He got a bigger M&M force with some Thors out which killed my Vikings and then mopped up my expansion, army and eventually main.
    Thankfully, I managed to float an Orbital Command to the top-right island and rebuilt until I had a sizable Battlecruiser fleet. Eventually the opponent found out what I was doing and sent his forces to the ridge closest to the island, and the BCs narrowly managed to blow away the marines and Thors, and with only a couple of Marauders left, the opponent said "..." and left.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arggg. Maybe this has already been talked about (and it may even be fixed in Patch 17, I am just now downloading that), but in patch 16 Blizzard either broke, or removed, tab based sub-grouping. I used to put all my barracks in to control group 6, and then I could hit 6, it would select my group, and the sub-group would have my reactor barracks selected. Then I could hit tab, and it would select the tech lab sub-group. Now when I hit 6, it just selects both sub-groups and tabbing doesn't work. So I can't (easily) tell the reactor 'reacks to build two marines, then tab over and hit Marauder twice to tell the tech lab rax to build those.

I hope that's just a bug and not a "feature", because that would suck.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    It's a feature. It now builds from what it thinks is the most appropriate building. Basically if you select all your rax to build marauders and marines, take care of the marauders first so you don't accidentally get marines clogging up your marauder production.

TheStig on
    edited July 2010
    It's a feature. It now builds from what it thinks is the most appropriate building. Basically if you select all your rax to build marauders and marines, take care of the marauders first so you don't accidentally get marines clogging up your marauder production.

That's....stupid. If they are going to make it "smart", then it should know the most appropriate building to build 'rines from is the reactor rax with nothing building.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    It does that, just don't queue at all or build the marauders first.

TheStig on
    edited July 2010
    It doesn't build two marines from the same rax. If I have a reactor rax, and two tech lab rax, in the same control group, I select that group and hit Marine, Marine, it will build one at the reactor rax, one at the tech lab rax...very annoying. I know I can do as you say (just build the Marauders first), and I will start...but if they are going to take a control option away, at least make the new control option not stupid.

GnomeTank on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Had a great T(R)vT on Desert Oasis just now. After my proxy reapers didn't do much I expanded and built up an M&M force while attacking the opponent's SCVs with Vikings. He got a bigger M&M force with some Thors out which killed my Vikings and then mopped up my expansion, army and eventually main.
    Thankfully, I managed to float an Orbital Command to the top-right island and rebuilt until I had a sizable Battlecruiser fleet. Eventually the opponent found out what I was doing and sent his forces to the ridge closest to the island, and the BCs narrowly managed to blow away the marines and Thors, and with only a couple of Marauders left, the opponent said "..." and left.

How does this ever happen? I mean how long does the other guy have to be sitting around thinking "isn't the other guy dead yet?" Decimated tech tree assumed and all.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It doesn't build two marines from the same rax. If I have a reactor rax, and two tech lab rax, in the same control group, I select that group and hit Marine, Marine, it will build one at the reactor rax, one at the tech lab rax...very annoying. I know I can do as you say (just build the Marauders first), and I will start...but if they are going to take a control option away, at least make the new control option not stupid.

Couldn't you group reactors and tech labs in separate control groups?

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited July 2010

No because each of his control groups are already taken by groups of amazing and diverse units, each with their own abilities.

TheStig on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He went for the famed reaper to battlecruiser build.

Rivulent on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I once had a Terran do a similar thing (stall the game at an island expo, then tech to BCs. Of course, he had the advantage of having his Fusion Core already on the expo as he knew he was going to lose his main) to me in PvT. Of course, it only delayed the inevitable as I took 8 expansions and then massed several dozen VRs.

Never have I seen a fleet of Battlecruisers and Vikings die so quickly.

Terrendos on
    edited July 2010
    And then he went a made a post about how voidrays were OP.

TheStig on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How does this ever happen?

Bronze League.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
    edited July 2010

I have 1-7 available to me as my "easy to hit groups". With rax in 6, factories/starports in 7, CC's in 5, that laves me 1, 2, 3, 4 for my actual combat groups. Since I like to keep like units in groups (marines in 1, marauders in 2, tanks in 3, vikings in 4), that leaves me only my back 8-0 groups that are much harder for me to hit in the heat of a game because it requires me to either reposition my keyboard hand, or worse yet, move my mouse hand.

GnomeTank on
    edited July 2010
    I love making terran jokes and being right.

TheStig on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't stress enough how great the "shared control" option is. My friends and I do this immediately when we start. Typically one of the friends is in charge of controls of the combined forces (he's better at micro), and the rest of us keep the wall up and supply him with forces. Not only that, but with control, you can update rally points of your allies, use their Command Center scans (as well as call down +supply on your own depots) and Protoss Time Warps.

Allies can run your workers away or lift off your CC if needed quickly, etc... it's just been very successful for us so far. We feel like three people controlling one huge army rather than three separate ones.

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010
    I love making terran jokes and being right.

Does it not make sense though? Marines can attack air, marauders can't, I like to keep them both focus fired on things they can hit. With tanks and vikings, they have different abilities that happen to be stateful (their modes).

Or is this some scrub lord way to lay out your control groups and is a running joke among experienced players? Is there some better way to do it I am not aware of?

GnomeTank on
    edited July 2010
    No the joke is that terran have trouble with the lack of control keys because they have so many amazing units and can usually build most of them in each match.

TheStig on
    edited July 2010
    No the joke is that terran have trouble with the lack of control keys because they have so many amazing units and can usually build most of them in each match.

This is true. I can't imagine not at least building the four corner stones (marines, marauders, tanks, vikings), unless I scout something funny early and am going for a specific counter.

GnomeTank on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really wish they would change rally points from hatcheries/barracks/gateways/etc back to attack move. NO HYDRAS! DON'T RUN PAST THAT VIKING THAT JUST FLEW ABOVE YOU!

Shens on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    I really wish they would change rally points from hatcheries/barracks/gateways/etc back to attack move. NO HYDRAS! DON'T RUN PAST THAT VIKING THAT JUST FLEW ABOVE YOU!

i hate this so much, especially when someone is making a push on my expansion and my fresh from the egg units attempt to get to the rally point behind their ball of attackers.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited July 2010

Well, you can always rally your with attack move when you build them... I think.
    The only problem is that if you have extra larvae selected when you do that, they will get the command to and execute it when they morph into something.

TheStig on
    edited July 2010
    Wow, I've completed a full circle in my SC2 gaming.

At first, I liked early speedling harass, then I noticed that it like, always had me losing. So I started teching really fast. But then I would get out-macroed, so I stayed on lower-tech units. And then I started thinking, hey lings are so goddamn cheap, why not just send out a few to harass early game, while I'm on a T1 army?

Khavall on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Updated the OP to include the new Mumble information and a link to Exoplasm's stream.

13 days left.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mEEksa wrote: »
    People who weren't on the lobby last night missed some exceptional games. Exoplasm got the ball rolling with an intense action-packed game against Invictus, going mass queens into hydras to take the game in a nail-biting victory. Ryougi, not to be outdone, went mass queens+overseers off of 5 bases against Invictus (she had 20 something queens at some point). Unfortunately eztoss is overpowered and somehow beat that exceptional build with only 2 bases.

I still do not understand how it is that I lost that game to Exo. My expand was up before his (!), my harass was pretty good, and all of a sudden I try to attack and lose everything. (please do not respond with what I did wrong in that game; this is mostly tongue in cheek)

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    edited July 2010
    Just had an epic game.

Muta/Ling/Bling, he went... well sort of everything. Couple of siege tanks, some MMM balls, massed vikings once I started going heavy muta. I managed to contain him with the lings, and in the end he had 2 mined out bases and one functioning base, and I had 3 expos and my main was mined out, so I could just macro the world. Even with all my hatches massing lings and mutas, I still ended with something like 1200 minerals in the bank.

Khavall on
    edited July 2010
    nealcm wrote: »

i hate this so much, especially when someone is making a push on my expansion and my fresh from the egg units attempt to get to the rally point behind their ball of attackers.

I was playing against a bud of mine and this same exact thing happened. He just laughed at me for awhile. I guess if someone manages to push up to a hatch we need to queue an attack on all the larva as Stiggy suggests.

Shens on
    edited July 2010
    Actually I think I'm wrong about that. Pretty sure attack move is not even an option when you have eggs selected, as having one selected with my other units has screwed me before.

I'll need to check it out when I play tonight.

TheStig on
    edited July 2010
    Actually I think I'm wrong about that. Pretty sure attack move is not even an option when you have eggs selected, as having one selected with my other units has screwed me before.

I'll need to check it out when I play tonight.

Arggggggh. I really hope they reverse this change.

I don't play Terran, but the new barracks unit queuing sounds like a step back as well.

Next patch: Manual worker distribution on minerals.

Shens on
    edited July 2010
    Blizzard: balancing the game by removing UI functions since patch 9.

TheStig on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    had an awesome game just now.
    zvp..
    scrap station..
    woooo!

terran mech still raping me, however.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!