As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread that Dripped Blood (NSFW)

123457»

• Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Fug.
    For anyone interested, Strathmore is selling these pre-cut comic pages in the 300 series. Best bristol I've found so far for ink.

4730309304_6037d080bf_b.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is that David Petersen? Cool, I gotta get some of those then.

m3nace on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm having to make a dickblick order for a commission coming up anyway. am I correct in that you suggest the smooth over the vellum?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Funny that you should ask that now. I just started experimenting with the vellum and picked up a couple of these same pads in vellum this morning. It boils down to your inking style. Vellum is rougher so you get some nice dry brush effects if you're inking in kind of a Caniff style. For all around comic inking the smooth is a better surface. Plus, if you are going to do any nib or marker work, the smooth handles it better. If you are going to do the style of inking that you've posted I would order the smooth. Most inking books I've read also recommend smooth surface.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Trying out some new bristol paper, sketched out some random panels from old Invader comics and inked them with a n0. 3 brush. Colored the page in PS and converted to cmyk to see how much it would change. Printed it out and the colors stayed pretty close to what I was seeing.
    [IMG][/img]2h8ads5.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Y'know I'm always a little dissapointed at the inherent lack of blood in this thread, it's not exactly dripping in it now is it?

Maybe you could ink in blood or something, that would up the blood to not-blood ratio significantly.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    re-rendered the spiderbot I built last year in Shade 3d and Blender. Rendered in Carrara 3d.
    Mustang, I'll try to reach my blood quota.

[IMG][/img]kdr3wj.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    First figure for a larger piece I'm working on.

[IMG][/img]uc1o5.png

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Part of a page. Brushed ink and ink wash. Hand lettering will go in white areas.

[IMG][/img]34zf3w6.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [IMG][/img]s4uqg4.png

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know what to think of this. Your ink work is so much more advanced, is digital a new medium for you Guy?
    Anyway try to avoid using the blur tool, it's tempting but the results are always a bit dodgy.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that cannibal page is boss as hell though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mustang, yeah I was trying to paint a cover in the style of the old Myron Fass sleaze mags in the 70's ( I collect them). They were crude, garish and quick. I agree that it doesn't work digitally. I'm kind of down on digital anyway so I should have just broke out the acrylics.
    Manon, thanks, I'm using ink washes on all my comics now.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's actually hard to believe those two images are from the same artist; the digital paint's not working for me, either, but the Cannibal wash. Christ. I can't wait to see more of that stuff.:^:

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg