As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest (PA)IX!! FINAL INSTRUCTIONS!! OP UPDATED!! I'M YELLING!

honestDhonestD Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in PAX Archive
LAST CALL

I think this is going to be the last time, so here are some final instructs for all you volunteers! Please, please look over the OP, and check to see which map you have that is either not on the list, or the one that is the least represented. If you find yourself matched with others in your group, send them a PM or make a note and look for them on Friday, so that you can co-ordinate.

Remember, this is a community effort for everyone to get as many awesome maps as possible. Thanks for participating, and Twitter the shit out of it.

#paxdqix

The "official time" for the DQIX meetup is Friday at 3pm in the main handheld lounge, so everyone try to push it when you visit the SquareEnix booth, let other people who are picking up the map know where/when it is.

I think that it's easiest to just say that 3pm in the main handheld lounge for all three days, that keeps it simple, and easy to find. I'll be in a CTS costume the whole weekend, so I'll be fairly easy to spot, but I don't know if I can make it all three days.

Also, SUPER important: if you're posting to twitter, the hashtag for this group will be #paxdqix or #PAXDQIX, so remember to post using these, and do searches for these as well, if you haven't already added everyone on the list (which you should!)

So just a couple of thoughts on this one... I imagine that there are going to be gobs and gobs of people walking around and doing "passerby" connections at PAX, but do we want to set up a specific meetup times for us to take breaks from checking out games and hanging out with awesome people to trade all of our awesome, awesome maps?

Click the Spoiler for a list of your fellow Dragon Questers AND their MC class/Level.revocation
Also, click here for the same thing, but on the Twitter! Thanks Akjak!

UPDATED!UPDATED!UPDATED!

So, check these spoilers out... Each one is going to be a collection of people who have what maps, and as we get closer to PAX, I'll prune each list so that everyone who volunteers to Canvass with one of the "legendary/limited edition" maps, only has to canvass that one map, and also so that collectors will know when they've got what they need, or who to look for.

Kawasaki (Emerald World of Gloom Lvl 86)
Bumblo = Erste
Covet = Covet
Blackfox138
Wizard

Masayuki (Ruby Path of Doom Lvl 87)
HonestD = Ellen
Covet = Covet
Blackfox138
rmalena = Ark
Solelron
Wizard
Procremation

Zoma (GameStop/EB Games)
HonestD = Ellen
Bumblo = Erste
MasterHelios
Covet = Covet
quietresolve = Dicarus
Blackfox138
rmalena = Ark
Wizard

Baramos
Bumblo = Erste
MasterHelios
Blackfox138
Solelron
wafflematic = Kevers
quietresolve = Dicarus
rmalena = Ark
Wizard
skycrickett

Estark (Best Buy)
Bumblo = Erste
Covet = Covet
Blackfox138
rmalena = Ark
Wizard

Murdaw
Bumblo = Erste
Blackfox138
MasterHelios
rmalena = Ark
Wizard

Mortamor (Comic Con)
DTJAAAAM
Covet
Wizard

Malroth (Simon Mall)
Covet
Blackfox138
Wizard

Psaro
Blackfox138
Wizard

Nizmo
Blackfox138
Wizard

Dhoulmagus
Blackfox138
MasterHelios
Bumblo = Erste
rmalena = Ark
Wizard

DragonLord
Blackfox138
Wizard

Assorted Random Maps Of Awesomeness
Blackfox138: Steel Void of Evil lvl 99 (grotto boss #12)
wafflematic = Kevers: Silver Marsh of Bane lvl 58 (like Masayuki, but on B11)
Gamedeals_Store: Platinum Crypt of Death Lv. 95 (Some Metal Kings on 1st floor + Boss #12)
ArtereisEmerald Path of Doom L88. Rank S chest, metal king slimes sporadically on the middle floors, and boss #11.
Jimmer:Sapphire Moor of Gloom, Lv. 69 (MKS on Lvl 5)

In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
honestD on

• CasaiCasai Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You have awesome maps already?? I thought the game just came out yesterday!

Unless maybe you're playing it...in the ORIGINAL JAPANESE.

Actually, as I write this, I realize that you're probably planning ahead, which is wholly admirable and totally beyond my abilities. Carry on.

Also, I would love to trade maps, assuming that I have any worthy ones by PAX. =)

Casai on
  • draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    awesome. I'd be down for meeting up to map swap and get a ton of new people in my hotel

draklan on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hell yeah. Especially since apparently you need unique people for tag mode for unlocks or something. i.e. 2 DS trick doesn't work. If I can find something light and portable and not unwieldy, I'm considering just making a sign or something to stick out of my backpack that will make it known that I am looking for DQ9 (or any other wifi DS game) wifiers. Probably some sort of collapsible stick + a cardboard whiteboard.

For sure, at least one of the on the trades should happen on the PAX train.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You need uniques for trading maps? That's weak! What if I get something super cool after I've already traded with my wife? Or worse, what if SHE gets something really good and I can't get it.... The horror!

Also, I can't quantitatively state about the potential awesomeness/not so awesomeness of the maps that I haven't gotten yet. Because I haven't gotten them. Yet.

I will have a second DS in my pocket at all times during PAX, though, to ensure maximum tagging! Between this and Pokemon, I'm so totally glad I bought two DSs.

honestD on

edited July 2010
    No, you need uniques for inn unlocks.

Dracil on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have DQ9, and I'll be bringing it to PAX. I don't know what there is to do in multiplayer yet, but I just might discover it at PAX.

Djiem on
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »

What does this mean? You mean unique DSs for tags, right? But what do you mean about inn unlocks? What do you unlock at the inn?

Also, I only meant that I'd have one DS with DQIX on in my pocket for pretty much the whole convention, checking every so often for new maps.

honestD on

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it'll be like the people matching pokewalkers... follow the walkers and you'll probably see some with Dragon Quest...

thespiffyneostar on
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got my copy, and hoping to be far enough in it to be able to do some.

Wish I had a 2nd copy for my wife to have running for more tagging fun, but..oh well. she'll prolly be sharing Picross 3D layouts.

Solelron on
    edited July 2010
    honestD wrote: »

What does this mean? You mean unique DSs for tags, right? But what do you mean about inn unlocks? What do you unlock at the inn?

Also, I only meant that I'd have one DS with DQIX on in my pocket for pretty much the whole convention, checking every so often for new maps.

No, you need unique game files for guests for inn unlocks, i.e. you can restart the game and it'll count as another person. It does not need to be unique to trade maps. Inns unlock special cameo characters and equipment and some other items and maxes out at having 30 different guests. This is in regards to the question you were asking about your wife.

Dracil on
  • KeversKevers Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I will definitely be bringing my DS and Dragon Quest just to let it tag people

Kevers on
    edited July 2010
    If I can find something light and portable and not unwieldy, I'm considering just making a sign or something to stick out of my backpack that will make it known that I am looking for DQ9 (or any other wifi DS game) wifiers. Probably some sort of collapsible stick + a cardboard whiteboard.

How about one of those collapsible sticks for the blind? They're super light, and durable, easy to set up and tear down....

Edit:The sticks, that is, not the blind. That would be in poor taste.

honestD on

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just picked up DQ9, and hopefully by the time PAX comes around I'll be ready to roll

deveric on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It only takes about a hour and a half of play to get to the Quester's Rest and access "tag" mode, so it's very likely you'll have time to complete that before PAX.

My big fear is that with PAX still being seven weeks away, that many people might complete DQ9 and no longer be interested in trading maps or being "tagged".

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Annoying n00b q, since I generally like being surprised and avoided learning anything substantial about this game:

Will it be worthwhile for my brother and I each to have our own copies of this game any time besides at PAX and the Gamestop event at the end of the month? We usually share games, and he has a backlog of DS games to finish, so he probably won't really get started on this one for a while.

Speaking of the GS event, for those in the Seattle area, I'll probably be at the Bellevue Square one unless convinced to go elsewhere. The store is pretty small, but it's closest to home for me.

Lynx_ on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DQIX only has 1 save slot

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    DQIX only has 1 save slot
    Important info has been attained. Thx much!

Lynx_ on
    edited July 2010
    I still have no idea when I chose my class, and then I decided to restart a new game to find out but I saw I only have one slot.

Djiem on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You didn't choose your beginning class. It is chosen for you, but you can change it eventually. You can't "screw up" a game file so there's no reason to restart.

Kyanilis on
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Given how well this has done in Japan for meetups and such I was predicting that it was going to be huge at PAX. I haven't yet picked up my copy, but I ought to have one by the time I roll into town.

Belgand on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope to beat this game within the next few days so I can get to all the juicy post-game stuff.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited July 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I hope to beat this game within the next few days so I can get to all the juicy post-game stuff.

are you going to PAX?

deveric on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Y... yes... Why?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited July 2010
    Y... yes... Why?

You have more than a few days.

Djiem on
    edited July 2010
    Y... yes... Why?

well, the tuffs2ers are going on drinking on thursday night, me, job, jonxp, and whoever else shows up...and then we are going to try to tournament together, whenever the tf2 tournament is...i'll hit you up on steam at some point

deveric on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Im curious what starting class others have recieved. I've not seen a wiki or walkthrough compilation yet on gamefaqs (yea I know, just came out)

Myself, I got Minstrel.
    I mean, yay. I get a little bit of everything, but I was hoping for monk or fighter...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, it isn't random, everyone starts as a Minstrel.

Kyanilis on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    '__'

well phooie...
    alright... cool... I'll just work my way around to those jobs then when I get to the alltrade abbey...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We are considering a DQ IX meetup in our hotel party room (if we decide not to "party" every night). Check our Facebook page (closer to PAX) or possibly this thread if you're interested. A night of map swapping & multiplayer grinding, likely with drinks, food, etc.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
    edited July 2010
    just finally got first treasure map. Dang equinox anyways. hope to have it beat b4 Pax so can give it out...they are rougher then the main bosses.

Solelron on
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've gotten pretty far in this, this game is awesome! I've got a 32 Gladiator as my main, with a 31 Paladin, a 31 Armamentalist and a 34 Priest. I've beaten Equinox, but there's a new map I got from him I can't beat yet. Right now I'm at Gittingham Palace in the story.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2010
    don't get that much playtime unfort. I"m doing some grinding and getting some alchemy stuff and getting everyone about 20ish in multi-classes for the easy skill points. Prepping to go after marionette.

Solelron on
    edited July 2010
    We are considering a DQ IX meetup in our hotel party room (if we decide not to "party" every night). Check our Facebook page (closer to PAX) or possibly this thread if you're interested. A night of map swapping & multiplayer grinding, likely with drinks, food, etc.

This would be awesome. This is actually why I started this thread to begin with, but I wanted to just generate interest in map trading and actually set a time when the official schedule was posted.

Would you be willing to put up a sign up sheet for a vancouver based DQIX map trading group mailing list? Or point people to my meetup.com group?

HD

honestD on

edited July 2010
    We will be holding a DQ9 meetup at the store on the 31st (same day EB is doing the exclusive map thing from 2pm-4pm). The idea is to go to your closest EB, grab the map (& recruit some other players) and come to meet everyone else at Gamedeals to play it, share other maps, and general DQ9 awesomeness. We are open until 7pm, but depending on the turnout will most likely stay much later into the evening.

@honestD - Come to the event and talk to me (Brian). We plan to do a lot more of these types of events and I have no problem with you recruiting for your meetup group.

Further information will be posted to our Facebook Page sometime this weekend:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Westminster-BC/Gamedeals-Video-Games/118721948158568

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wish this game had come out in time for Pax East :\

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think a meet up for DQ IX is a great idea - we could do it around the same time / location as the buttoneers which would be just after close on Sunday, just outside the convention centre. ( at least it was last year )

Sleepy Kitty on
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Wish this game had come out in time for Pax East :\
    lol that was what Pokemon was for ... we have a great time with the poke walkers

Sleepy Kitty on
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    picked this up, hopefully i'll get enough playing time in that i can do something with the game at PAX.

Kjeldor on
    edited July 2010
    COPIED FROM OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:

Saturday July 31st is Dragon Quest IX day. EB games has an exclusive map to download between 2-4pm, and afterword we're hosting a big DQ9 meetup.

Participating EB locations are: Metrotown/Richmond/Oakridge/Coquitlam/Guildford/North Van.

So swing by EB, then come down to Gamedeals and meet up with other players in our lounge to swap maps, grind dungeons, and play into the evening.

/END COPY

Also, pretty sure we're going to do a PAX meetup in our parlour suite, but we won't decide which night until much closer to the date.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
  • CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a little late to the thread, so my apologies for necroposting if it's gone down that far... Anyway, I'll have my DQIX with me at PAX. If I haven't beaten it by then, I'd love some high-level help to complete the Comic-Con map and then I'll pass it around.

Covet on
This discussion has been closed.