As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 7-14-10: Havink Anger Issues

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    @Doug: I will be grabbing it and Orc Stain tomorrow along with my other books

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So far Batman #701 is my MotW. I'm loving this RIP/FC crossover. It feels like a "behind the scenes" sort of story. The whole "30 Days to Omega" thing is pretty sweet. Its impending doom to something we already know about.

Gotta say though, my favorite part was Superman on the big screen. "We need you on this." Its like... god stuff is happening. Galactic level crap. And who do they need? A mortal. They need the Batman.

I didn't like how he said "I've tried so ahrd to earn their respect"

He doesn't need their respect and it doesn't seem at all like him to actually work at earning it.

I thought it was in character. Basically I took it as him saying that he has worked so hard to become the Batman that when a galactic level crisis is happening, that the most powerful men on Earth come to him for help and he has nothing super to offer.

Another way of putting it is this: Batman is so awesome that he doesn't need super powers and the guys that do have super powers respect him that much that they invite him along on their big boy adventures.

Lucascraft on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    @Doug: I will be grabbing it and Orc Stain tomorrow along with my other books

Nice. I am going to the store today. Orc Stain is really awesome from what I have read, looking forward to more of that. Stoko is one of my favorites, dude is awesome as hell.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some great comics came out this week. Here are a few.

Darwyn Cooke's The Man With the Getaway Face, based on Richard Stark's novel, is a great read from start to finish. It's really interesting to see how tightly Cooke compressed the book, while still maintaining the spirit of it. The book is, as Cooke describes it in the forward, an "oversized, underpriced bitchslap," at just two dollars, for twenty-five pages of super-sized art. Really, check it out if you read last year's Parker: The Hunter, wanted to check it out but never got around to it, or just like good art.
    Here in the opening pages, Cooke does a call-back to The Hunter, which had a page of Parker looking at himself in the mirror. After receiving plastic surgery, most of his face is different, but his intense eyes remain the same.
    2ps2f5g.jpg
    Also, I just fucking love Cooke's linework. Look at how he breaks up the lines on the spring-arm attached to the mirror, completing them with color.

Girl Comics #3 opens with a good Jubilee/Wolverine team-up story, written by Marjorie Liu and drawn by Sara Pichelli, both of whom have really quickly established themselves as creators to follow. I don't think Pichelli's art looks as good here as did in the Namora one-shot she did, but the sketchier feel does lend itself to the gritty, urban story she and Liu are telling here.
    24bq6tw.jpg

R.E.B.E.L.S. #18 seems like a step down in quality from past issues, and it doesn't help that it picks up a major event from a totally unrelated comic without any explanation. But Bedard continues to weave a bunch of disparate plot threads together while still juggling a huge cast, and launching his own little self-contained mini-event, The Sons of Brainiac. The whole thing's beautifully drawn by Claude St. Aubin, who crams detail and background into every panel, but sometimes chooses layouts that I think are a little weird, or lacking the oomph they should have. The last page of this issue is a particular example of that. Still, it's a fine comic.
    In this issue, Vril Dox's son Lyrl declares war on Colu, home of Brainiac's people, using his pet tyrant sun.
    whlg8o.jpg

What a genocidal jokester he is.

The Officer Downe one-shot by Joe Casey and Chris Burnham was non-stop blood-splatter and action from start to finish, rendered in a style reminiscent of Geoff Darrow, and infused with all kinds of science fiction weirdness. For those unfamiliar with the premise, Officer Downe is an unstoppable super-cop that polices "Motherfucking L.A." which has become overrun with crime. When he finally becomes too much of a pain in the ass for the local crime bosses, they hire Zen Master Flash and his tracksuit-wearing ninja students to kill Downe for good.
    I'll just put this here sans context, because really, what could I say?
    2ajnau1.jpg

Munch on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So far Batman #701 is my MotW. I'm loving this RIP/FC crossover. It feels like a "behind the scenes" sort of story. The whole "30 Days to Omega" thing is pretty sweet. Its impending doom to something we already know about.

Gotta say though, my favorite part was Superman on the big screen. "We need you on this." Its like... god stuff is happening. Galactic level crap. And who do they need? A mortal. They need the Batman.

I didn't like how he said "I've tried so ahrd to earn their respect"

He doesn't need their respect and it doesn't seem at all like him to actually work at earning it.

I thought it was in character. Basically I took it as him saying that he has worked so hard to become the Batman that when a galactic level crisis is happening, that the most powerful men on Earth come to him for help and he has nothing super to offer.

Another way of putting it is this: Batman is so awesome that he doesn't need super powers and the guys that do have super powers respect him that much that they invite him along on their big boy adventures.

Here's yet another way of looking at it:

Darkwarrior do you know why Captain America doesn't respect Batman? Because Batman is too much of a wuss to use a gun.

Also seriously Guardians of the Galaxy should be a flagship comic. Cosmo the Telepathic Russian Dog should get at least a movie.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My MOTW was picking up Burbaker's Daredevil Omnibus Vol. 2, Absolute Planetary Vol. 1, Absolute Planetary Vol. 2 and the new Casanova (curse you Mai-Kero for hooking me on this comic) simultaneouly.

Nothing like picking up 15lbs. of comics for the weekend.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You're in for a treat, CoJoe - especially with CASANOVA. And the first issue is relatively tame in comparison to later issues.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can someone fill me in on Casanova? I flipped through it and had a lot of interest but haven't heard anything about it.

cardboard delusions on
    edited July 2010
    It originally ran as a 16 page $1.99 Image Comic for 14 issues. Fraction and the Ba brothers are rereleasing the previous books as colored, 32 page issues, and are then following that up with a continuation of the series (it's also collected in two trades, Luxaria and Gula).

The book is hard to sum up - "James Bond on crack filtered thru Kirby" doesn't quite cut it. It's probably the best work Fraction has done.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Basically, Casanova is a trans-dimensional, ultra-violent, hyper-sexualized reality-warping James Bond story on acid.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited July 2010
    Can someone fill me in on Casanova? I flipped through it and had a lot of interest but haven't heard anything about it.
    You can read the entire first issue here, as it was originally published by Image.

Munch on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yay! thanks guys i'll grab the trade for sure.

cardboard delusions on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK. I think I may be dumb. I just read the Casanova issue Munch linked to, and I'm not sure where the last fifteen minutes of my life went.

What just happened?

Jester313 on
    edited July 2010
    Jester313 wrote: »
    OK. I think I may be dumb. I just read the Casanova issue Munch linked to, and I'm not sure where the last fifteen minutes of my life went.

What just happened?

That's a common response to your first hit of Casanova. It's slighty more comprehensible in trade format.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited July 2010
    On one hand, the current collected editions of CASANOVA are nice - but the newly colored relaunch from Icon looks really nice too.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    It originally ran as a 16 page $1.99 Image Comic for 14 issues. Fraction and the Ba brothers are rereleasing the previous books as colored, 32 page issues, and are then following that up with a continuation of the series (it's also collected in two trades, Luxaria and Gula).

The book is hard to sum up - "James Bond on crack filtered thru Kirby" doesn't quite cut it. It's probably the best work Fraction has done.

I'm trying to move away from single issues, I told the comic store guy that about the Casanova reprint, but I don't know if I can hold out.

Officer Downe was completely ridiculous. Interesting, and the art was really great. Completely psychotic and nutso.

King City 9 and 10 were really, really good. The larger format allows you to see Brandon's growth as an artist much more easily. The characters are well-done, the setting is goofy fun really well done, and the whole thing is just great. I'm thinking about buying a second copy of 9 to play the games with.

I still have to read Orc Stain 4 and Punisher 18.

DouglasDanger on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it horrible that I keep reading that as Officer Down's? And that I would want to read that comic as well?

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My MoTW was the abstracts holding the line at the fault.

Fucking awesome. Gave me chills when I read it.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    I guess my MOTW was getting ot the store for the first time in several weeks and having a decent stack of stuff, all of which was excellent. James Stokoe is an amazing cartoonist. Orc Stain is so bizarre and intense, there is nothing else like it. Nothing close.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    Booster Gold #34 has Booster Gold, transported back to his days in the Justice League, getting swept into a job recovering a holy artifact, along with Blue Beetle. Realizing they're going to need some help, they recruit two old friends to give them a hand.
    358q4g7.jpg

This book's totally a nostalgia trip for me, and I love it. It's pretty interesting too, in that Booster is being portrayed as the competent straight-man to Beetle's goofy guy. That's pretty much what their relationship was back in the day, but it does show how different they are from the last few times they were seen together, in the near-past. You almost get the feeling that the Booster of today wouldn't have had the patience to deal with the guy that would eventually become his best friend.

It's a real "can't go home again," kind of thing.

Justice League: Generation Lost #5 has more of the new Rocket Red. And really, that's all I need. I thought Max's motivation was a little weak, especially after what was a terrific reveal last week. I'm hoping there's a lot more to it.
    11wgcuh.jpg

One of my biggest complaints with the new Rocket Red was his weird stance on Western culture v.s. Western superheroes, so I'm happy to have Judd Winick just head that one off and offer an explanation. Even if the explanation, in light of how strong his convictions are, comes off a little weak.

In Chew #12, Tony Chu teams up with an old rival to have a sit-down with a local crime boss. Things don't go well.
    Knowing he's only going to get one shot off, Tony makes use of the deranged champion cockfighter that's caged nearby.

2rwovi8.jpg

Yeah, the chicken's wearing a tiny luchadore mask. I love this comic.

The Brave and the Bold #35, starring The Inferior Five and The Legion of Substitute Heroes, wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but it was still okay. Basically, the LoSH accidentally travel back in time, transporting a black hole along with them, which destroys the Earth. So they have to go back in time even further and collect The Inferior Five to help them undo it.
    After they make everything exponentially worse a few times, the two teams finally manage to solve the problem, and the LoSH kicks the Five out of their time bubble, into the present day.

34fb5kx.jpg

I love that penultimate panel. Jesus Saiz is a talented guy.

Munch on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is that, is that a cockrel in a luchadore mask?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Yes.

I seriously cannot say it enough: everyone should be reading Chew. It's only twelve issues in, and so much awesome stuff has happened. Every issue feels like an event, even when it diverges from the main plot.

Munch on
    edited July 2010
    The Chew Omnivore Edition Hardcover is coming out August 10.

Buying the shit out of that.

DouglasDanger on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel the need to buy Chew then.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I have both trades, I love it. The last two chapters of vol 1 was like shifting from 2nd gear to 5th... in AWESOME.

cardboard delusions on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was gonna post that BG page Munch did, but I was torn between that and the page of Beetle lying to a priest. Kinda glad he got shot in the head now*

*You don't know how hard it is for TexiKen to write that!

TexiKen on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did any of you geese buy Officer Downe? I forgot to order it, which means my shop probably has zero copies.

Book of the week

Algertman on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want a book solely about the new Rocket Red

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it was basically a Yakov Smirnoff book, I would buy it.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    The Chew Omnivore Edition Hardcover is coming out August 10.

Buying the shit out of that.

Ding!

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would buy that if I hadn't already bought the first two trades goddamnit chew why you doing this to me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    All Aboard the
    Galactus Train
    , Woo Woo!

It looks a LOT like that
    Train in Species.

Incenjucar on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    And speaking of killing people, X-Force Sex and Violence was gorgeous. Yost & Kyle pretty much let Dell'Otto do all the heavy lifting here. Amazing art.

The art in S & V was definitely my visual moment of the week. I am a sucker for that style.
    Iron man wasn't too bad, its interesting because one of these super geniuses is finally using their tech to drastically alter the landscape of the world, even if its just a repulsor car right now.

I have really mixed feelings about Iron Man right now, but this exact thought was the biggest thing that jumped out at me of all the comics I've read this week.

I mean, I presume that they will have some gimmick by the end of the story to preserve the status quo, but the idea is interesting. I wish they had done something with Angel running that car factory in X-Men, but I think all of that got swept away by more time travel and Jean Gray's DNA or somesuch. Now Tony is going to attempt to build a car rather than punch a robot. Could be good. I hope they take this tech startup storyline somewhere non-cheesy, because the mind erase / reboot / backup / whatever thing is not really propelling the story anywhere so far. If they really do build the Stark Model T in six weeks, I am ready to stick with the book.

desc on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man Uncanny X-men: The Heroic age was everything that I was hoping that Fraction's x-men would have been from the beginning.

MastaP on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My moment of the week is finally getting to read vol. 4 of The Sword

Good god, that ending was pitch-perfect and beautiful. I don't think I have ever been this satisfied from any other comic series. Even though I saw
    Phaistos returning
    coming from a mile away, how they did it caught me completely off guard.

Is Ultra or Girls this good? I have an overwhelming urge to give the Luna brothers more of my money

Green on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Green wrote: »
    My moment of the week is finally getting to read vol. 4 of The Sword

Good god, that ending was pitch-perfect and beautiful. I don't think I have ever been this satisfied from any other comic series. Even though I saw
    Phaistos returning
    coming from a mile away, how they did it caught me completely off guard.

Is Ultra or Girls this good? I have an overwhelming urge to give the Luna brothers more of my money

After thinking abut it, the whole
    Phaistos
    thing made sense, but it wasn't on my radar at all.

I loved the ending so much. Especially
    Dara going back home and all her injuries coming back. Man, that was ridiculous.

As for other Luna brothers stuff, I thought Ultra pretty fun, but I don't remember much of it. An Girls was awesome, and also crazy. For a comic about naked lady zombie clones running around and sexing all the men, it could get genunely disturbing. I really enjoyed it. (Plus they have a fantastic giant collected edition out now.)

Kiwi on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My late MotW is getting the first volumes of both Greek Street and The Unwritten. Holy crap what great stories they are.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Girls is terrible, expect for that one panel where a guy kicks a bear in the balls.

Robos A Go Go on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoyed The Unwritten. Greek Street really didn't do it for me, and I don't know why.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Girls is terrible, expect for that one panel where a guy kicks a bear in the balls.

Girls was really really weird, but I remember liking it.

Sharp101 on