As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman comics

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »
    Looks like Morrison's Batman run is coming to a close, with Daniel replacing him. Blech.

Morrison's current "run" on Batman consists of three whole issues. Daniel is the main writer for Batman. This Morrison interlude was just a reprieve.

It still hasn't been announced whether or not Batman and Robin is finishing, and if so, which title Morrison is writing. Because we do know for sure that he is continuing to write Batman stories after Bruce returns.

MastaP on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well looks like Damien is staying robin for a while and is joinging the teen titans
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27186

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well looks like Damian is staying robin for a while and is joinging the teen titans
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27186

Why must they kill off all of their new characters?

Tairu on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't see Damian being a good match for the teen titans.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't see Damian being a good match for the teen titans.

I can see that being hilarious. "waa waa angst angst..." *Damien slaps them around the face really hard* "Sort yourself out you snivelling idiot!"

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, Damian is a great foil for other younger heroes. Just look at his appearances in Batgirl.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes,, but he and Batgirl are not a team. He tries that lordy shit with the titans and it will break the team.

Well, the TT has been pretty dysfunctional lately, so I can't see it getting any worse.

Edit: Unless Supergirl is there. She squared him away pretty quickly. And hilariously.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited July 2010
    Yes,, but he and Batgirl are not a team. He tries that lordy shit with the titans and it will break the team.

Well, the TT has been pretty dysfunctional lately, so I can't see it getting any worse.

Edit: Unless Supergirl is there. She squared him away pretty quickly. And hilariously.

No but see they because they are already dysfunctional they need somone to kick them into shape and Damien is just the kind of no-nonsense vicious little shit that is necessary for them to get of their asses and work as a team. It would be funny and awesome.

Solar on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »

No but see they because they are already dysfunctional they need somone to kick them into shape and Damien is just the kind of no-nonsense vicious little shit that is necessary for them to get of their asses and work as a team. It would be funny and awesome.

Or Miss Martian could beat the shit out of him and tell him not to come back.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Or Miss Martian could beat the shit out of him and tell him not to come back.

She could but Damien is not so bad from what I've seen and more critically that bunch of losers need him. Without someone to push them they will just fuck everything up. As Robos said he would be a great foil and the conflicts he would have with the other team members might actually be pretty interesting.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    Batman and Robin ISN'T ending! And Patrick Gleason is going to be on art! I am so happy right now.

Tairu on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's gonna be written by Tomasi instead of Morrison, though.

Darth Nat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tomasi wrote the best Dick Grayson outside of Dixon, so this is great, great news (if it's still Dick and not Bruce).

I mean I love Morrison's work, but Tomassi can be just as good.

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nothin' wrong with Tomasi

Furu on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am actually down with this. It seems this forum knows I wasn't the biggest GLC fan under Tomasi (although I loved Gleason's art, for sure), but I loved what I read of his outsiders, and his Blackest Night: Batman was really strong up until the same-as-all-BN ending it had.

I will most likely skip Emerald Warriors (or trade-wait it) even though Tomasi writes an awesome Guy and Kilowog. His cosmic-level plotting just isn't strong enough for me. But I am down with this; I will stay on this book.

Also, I didn't read into it that much during the last announcement, but I guess this means the Bat-books are taking a break in October for the series of one-shots to come out.

And to Darth Nat:
    And before you start asking the question I know is on the tip of your tongue, here are a few words of advice: Wait a few days.

So we're probably going to have to wait till ComicCon to see what book Morrison is on now, if it's a limited, and what the name will be.

Edit: Also, Gleason's style and Tomasi's writing will fit this book like a glove.

Kudos on DC to actually making some pretty good succession choices with their books these last few weeks, barring JT Krul.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    Morrison to replace JMS on Superman effective immediately?

That's like the only place he should go to right now, if he can't even stay with a Bat-title.

TexiKen on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not a huge Tomasi fan and actually didn't really like his Nightwing run, but even if you disagree with those statements, you still gotta admit that Morrison, Tomasi ain't. It's gonna be weird going from something as strange and unique as Morrison's Batman & Robin to Tomasi's more standard superhero fare.

Maybe Morrison is gearing up for Multiversity or whatever. I think there was a rumor that it was finally going to be revealed at Comic-Con.

Darth Nat on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    I'm not a huge Tomasi fan and actually didn't really like his Nightwing run, but even if you disagree with those statements, you still gotta admit that Morrison, Tomasi ain't. It's gonna be weird going from something as strange and unique as Morrison's Batman & Robin to Tomasi's more standard superhero fare.

Maybe Morrison is gearing up for Multiversity or whatever. I think there was a rumor that it was finally going to be revealed at Comic-Con.

I doubt Morrison's Bat-run is over when it's such a high seller. He's probably going to tie it into Multiversity somehow, launching either another new Bat-series or a mini/maxi series to entirely cap off his run.

What books do we have teams for right now?
    Batman - Tony Daniel
    Batman and Robin - Tomasi & Gleason
    Detective - Scott Snyder
    Batman: The Dark Knight - David Finch
    Knight and Squire - Paul Cornell

Batgirl, Streets, BoP, GCS (?), Red Robin (?) - Same as Previous (?)

Uhh.....are any missing?

HadjiQuest on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have anything against Tomasi, but I'm kind of bummed to hear this. Batman and Robin will be a very, very different book.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Streets of Gotham will probably get a change of writer or be canceled to make up for The Dark Knight series. Seeing as how Dini has said there will be more fill-ins and in general, it's not really necessary or filling a certain aspect of the Bat-world that the other books aren't filling.

Which mean Dustin Nguyen is out of a job while Finch gets paid for being late and that is not fair I'm going to jump off a building.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    It's too bad, really. Streets of Gotham could have been so awesome if it was just a monthly Dini fest that tried a little harder to relate to all of the interesting Hush stuff he did at the start and in Detective Comics. ("Heart of Hush 2" or whatever is coming, but it's taken a pretty long time to get to this point.) Even his recent Zsasz stuff kind of felt filler-y

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2010
    His Zsasz stuff fell apart because Zsasz needed to be killed after what he did, and not doing so it really breaks that illusion of justice in comics. You can't push it so far like killing kids in death matches and then let a usual "he got away" work. Damien should have killed him, lied to it about Dick, and use that as something to show Damien isn't being as rehabilitated as we thought he was by this point.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    I liked Dini's and Nguyen's run on Detective Comics when it was a PG13 version Batman the Animated Series. If they just wrote episodic little cartoony issues I would buy it.

Tairu on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, Batman #701 was so good. I loved every minute of it. I just wish it had come a bit sooner. Seems out of place now, considering Final Crisis was almost 2 years ago now. But this first issue was still an amazing read.

And also, its not like the Batman book is really changing. For better or worse, Tony Daniel has already been the guy. This two-part series with Morrison is just a temporary thing to let Morrison finish up his RIP story and tie everything together. But Daniel is still the guy.

Oh, and is Dustin Nguyen even on Streets of Gotham anymore? He was the penciller on the most recent issue of Detective Comics written by O'Niel.

Speaking of the O'Niel books, I didn't care for this last issue of Detective. I don't like how he's asserting his own stories that far back into the history of the character. Saying that his story about a medallion was the first case that Batman & Robin ever worked is nonsense. I was catching a whole lot of writer ego in that story. He seems like a really pompous dude to be saying that kind of stuff.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, so I'm probably going to be dropping Batman and Robin then. Tomasi is fine, but nothing I've seen from him, or really any other writer at DC right now matches the high level that book operated at. I'll still give their first issue a read because I like Gleeson's stuff a lot.

I'll also be giving Scott Snyder's Detective Comics a shot, because new blood deserves a chance.

MastaP on
    edited July 2010
    So Tomasi and Gleason are still together as the wonder team? Only on B&R? Splendid.

Lucascraft on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2010
    Tomasi is awesome and his Nightwing run was great but cut short.

He's really different from Morrison so the book will feel different but should still be super awesome.

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2010
    We just ran an interview with David Finch where he spoke to his new "Dark Knight" book, and he said that part of what's allowing him to step on and so much of this to get rolling is that while Grant Morrison won't be leaving the franchise he's been guiding for so long now, he's still leaving all this room for people to play and make their own takes on Batman work on their own terms. How is this shaping up in terms of piggybacking off of "The Return of Bruce Wayne" and being able to play off Grant's plans?

Yeah! The marching orders or the message from Grant has really been to give your book your feel. It's been very flexible and elastic in terms of being able to creatively throw things around with Mike Marts, who' been terrific as an editor, and some of the other people in the Bat Family. I haven't met Dave Finch yet, but after reading that interview, I imagine it's the same experience for [the other creators] where they really want you to create your own Batman story and vision. As much of a plan as Grant has – and his plans are pretty incredible – it feels like he's also very generous about giving you enough room with the character to develop your own little ecosystem

So Morrison will definitely be on a title. And I'm a little bit excited for Snyder now

MastaP on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darth Nat wrote: »

Ugh, what's wrong with you? Tomasi's Nightwing run was utterly fantastic.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    And also, its not like the Batman book is really changing. For better or worse, Tony Daniel has already been the guy. This two-part series with Morrison is just a temporary thing to let Morrison finish up his RIP story and tie everything together. But Daniel is still the guy.

Correction: Daniel is still a guy, that really can't write very well.

Anyway, I'll stick with B&R though I'm disappointed Morrison's leaving it. Tomasi's a fantastic writer when he's not paired with Johns, so I've still got high hopes. I'm also hoping DC have finally realised Tony Daniel can't write for shit and are putting Morrison back on the main Batman book afterwards.

And despite my complaints (Daniel and Finch writing, stupid editorial gimmicks like Battle for the Cowl), the Batman family is run a HELL of a lot better than the Superman family. Supergirl's the only good comic in that disaster zone.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited July 2010
    What if, and go with me on this, Batman & Robin changes it's name to Nightwing and Red Robin when Bruce comes back? DC does hide things for switches, like the WW #600 stuff.

That way Dick and Tim can have the best banter in the world, and it can carry over to the Red Robin book with Nicieza.

TexiKen on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bruce is gonna join Checkmate and be the top cop for the DCU while Dick will stay as Batman. He's gonna wear a black jumpsuit with a white bat on the front. ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL

KVW on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Bruce is gonna join Checkmate and be the top cop for the DCU while Dick will stay as Batman. He's gonna wear a black jumpsuit with a white bat on the front. ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL

What, would Bruce be the Bat King or something?

Linespider5 on
    edited July 2010
    I'm not so sure Bruce is gonna return to the cowl. At least not immediately.

Morrison was really hammering home the idea that Final Crisis, or rather the investigation of the death of one of the New Gods, would be Batman's (Bruce's) final time wearing the cape and cowl. He hit that point home like 3 times in 701. I think he really wanted us to consider the possibility that when Return of Bruce Wayne is over, Bruce might not be Batman.

In fact, out of everything I took away from 701, I would say that the most important thing was that very point. Hurt prophesied this being Batman's final case. The fact that there's so much repetition on this point makes me think its something that Morrison really wanted to put in his reader's minds.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm not so sure Bruce is gonna return to the cowl. At least not immediately.

Morrison was really hammering home the idea that Final Crisis, or rather the investigation of the death of one of the New Gods, would be Batman's (Bruce's) final time wearing the cape and cowl. He hit that point home like 3 times in 701. I think he really wanted us to consider the possibility that when Return of Bruce Wayne is over, Bruce might not be Batman.

In fact, out of everything I took away from 701, I would say that the most important thing was that very point. Hurt prophesied this being Batman's final case. The fact that there's so much repetition on this point makes me think its something that Morrison really wanted to put in his reader's minds.

That's a good point. I just assumed that it was foreshadowing the Omega Sanction, but I would not be even remotely surprised if this is how it works out.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but Hurt is a crap character from a crap plot and so what he says doesn't matter all that much.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    Morrison is a very clean writer. He doesn't waste a lot of dialogue or exposition. The fact that he made mention of it three times in one issue that it will be Bruce's last time in the cowl seems fairly significant to me.

We've all read FC and already know about the Omega Sanction. If it was just foreshadowing to that, once would have been sufficient. The fact that he used so much repetition really leads me to believe that he's not planning on putting Bruce back in the role of Batman anytime soon.

Until we see the end of Return of Bruce Wayne, we won't really even know what's gonna happen with that. I mean, the dude is booby-trapped. Something quite terrible might happen when he makes it home.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but Hurt is a crap character from a crap plot and so what he says doesn't matter all that much.

You know, I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man I hope I hope. Grayson/Wayne has been a really fun team.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glad to hear Tomasi is taking over B&R so I don't have to drop the book, as I do thoroughly enjoy it. Interested to see where Morrison is moving if he's still going to be doing something in the Batman books.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This just occured to me, but I suppose Morrison might be doing something to address the dichotomy of Batman-you know, here he is fighting street thugs, and then here he is with the JLA fighting aliens. Maybe this has already been thought over and shot down, but I could see one Batman for Gotham, and one Batman for the Justice League. Both doing seperate, fulltime things on different scales.

Makes enough sense to me.

Linespider5 on
This discussion has been closed.