As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] Only 2 weeks left! Sign up to the PA friend list in the OP now!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dammit Exoplasm. I didn't know you were streaming/recording our matches the other night. Now everyone knows how much I suck as Terran. :(

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    no, there only needs to be one thread. there was a similar thought process for some other mega game and that idea was shut down by mods. probably super smash brothers or some other dumb shit

I mean really we already have 2 threads for this game

Feels Good Man on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TvT games are stupid, but ZvZ games are worse, especially at lower skill levels: Marvel as we attack move our blobs into each other!

I kind of hate playing Starcraft II online - I know I'm not that good, but I always seem to be good enough to somehow end up in gold/plat leagues (this may be an issue with how the placement system works), and then proceed to lose the next 25 games. I rarely seem to run into a balanced game, either I win easier, or (more often) I get my face kicked in.

LockeCole on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Let me give you an example of why we might need two threads:

Stimtokolos: Just lost to a Marine rush. My Zealots couldn't keep up with the constant harassment. T is so OP!

Iowa (replying to Stimtokolos): Did you try walling off your entrance? Terran can't get to you that quick. You must be doing something wrong. Replay?

TurboMan177: Man, does anyone have advice on how to beat mission 7 of the campaign? I keep getting uber raped by the Mutas. Help!

Stimtokolos: I forgot to save it because I was to busy repeatedly hitting the power button on my computer. This is such bullshit. Maybe I'll just switch to Terran for easy wins.

TheStig: Iowa is right. Just block your ramp and you'll be fine.

Stimtokolos: Fuck. I'm gonna go cannon rush the next Terran I play. They gonna play cheesy, then so am I!

Variable: Day9 showed us that when Timmy lost his cool and cheesed he ended up throwing away his chances.

MNC Dover: In case you haven't done so, sign up for the SC2 friend list found in the OP!

s_86: I love all things asian! (posts weird video confirming prior statement)

*new page*

theStig: damn s. you post the weirdest shit.

s_86: where's Dangerisk and Lemming? I need to hug them.

Lemming: Did someone call?

Trus: We've got a tournament about to start soon people!

s_86: Lemmy! Let's craft some stars.

Lemming: When?

s_86: Right now!

theStig: Oh, I want to play too! Getting on now.

Dangerisk: Don't touch me s_86.

s_86: Pssh! Don't pretend like you don't like it.

Iowa: What the hell are we witnessing?

*This goes on for another page*

Terrendos: I just won a close game against Zerg. Mad storms pulled my butt out of the fire. Templars for life.

s_86: Lemming's mom for life. <3

TurboMan177: Nevermind, I figured it out on my own.

Stimtokolos: OMG! Just lost to a dual Reaper rush in a 2v2!

seems a lot like the thread as it is atm.
    Compare to other gaming threads; my prediction is that everyone will play the SP, we'll have 2-3 weeks of poeple saying the game is awesome, firebats are op and "AMG I WUNNA DO KERRIGUN/ZERATOOL\GAYNOR!". after this, we'll have the main bulk of people switching to MP, the next 2 weeks will be MP imbalances and people "late to the party" saying "I know I'm late but maaan this game is sweet. also I'd totally do those critters in the desert maps". after this it'll be MP with a *possible* rerun of certain sp missions due to easter eggs and/or hidden levels.
    Nice and tidy if you ask me!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    in ZvZ i end up just 8 pooling with two drones backing me up because i don't want to deal with the banelings

spinecrawlers behind your mineral line? good luck sir

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I tend to 10-pool against Z or R. T/P I trust the lack of rush enough to 14-gas, 14-pool speedling/baneling opening transition to Muta or Hydra, but Z or R I tend to assume some form of rush is coming, and I've never had a 10-pool into baneling not be prepared enough with the queen.

Khavall on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    TvT games are stupid, but ZvZ games are worse, especially at lower skill levels: Marvel as we attack move our blobs into each other!

I kind of hate playing Starcraft II online - I know I'm not that good, but I always seem to be good enough to somehow end up in gold/plat leagues (this may be an issue with how the placement system works), and then proceed to lose the next 25 games. I rarely seem to run into a balanced game, either I win easier, or (more often) I get my face kicked in.
    hi2u Weerea, my computer exploded and I hear OS is no longer active till cata :(

I find losses motivating in that I know the more times I get steamrolled the more likely it is that I will improve enough to steamroll others in the future. Getting paired against better players is really the best thing, especially if you can talk to them in person or on skype/vent while they are steamrolling you. It is the fastest way to get better.

Walt on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't give two shits about Single Player.

I spend too much time programming to have any interest in a bunch of triggers telling a unit to go to X location and play Y sound and find it interesting.

This game is all about the competition.

SparserLogic on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I spend too much time programming to have any interest in a bunch of triggers telling a unit to go to X location and play Y sound and find it interesting.

Unfortunately for you, the multiplayer parts are also a computer program.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

erm ... story? that sorta transcends scripts.
    or do you avoid books and the cinema because programming is omnipresent in everything?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited July 2010
    BlueBlue wrote: »

But its the difference between playing a poorly-done AI and an actual thinking human being.

I've enjoyed the story of the first SC and SC:BW I just despise the medium.

I guess I don't like how poorly an RTS plays when they shove it into an RPG hole (hawt).

SparserLogic on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

But its the difference between playing a poorly-done AI and an actual thinking human being.

I guess I don't like how poorly an RTS plays when they shove it into an RPG hole (hawt).

RPG? There ain't no RPG here.

But wait, you hate singleplayer games? Lol wat

Jutranjo on
    edited July 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Single Player modes of RTSs, not single players in general.

And yes, they turn into weird half-RPGs that don't play like either an RTS or an RPG and just generally piss me off.

I'm not criticizing any of you for liking it, I just don't care for it/have no interest in playing it. All I like is the competitive ladder but then again I love chess and most people seem to find it boring so <shrug>

SparserLogic on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And yes, they turn into weird half-RPGs that don't play like either an RTS or an RPG and just generally piss me off.

I'm not criticizing any of you for liking it, I just don't care for it/have no interest in playing it. All I like is the competitive ladder but then again I love chess and most people seem to find it boring so <shrug>

The RPG part being what? Lasting research? Story?

Jutranjo on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope blizzard adds a little bonus campaign a la Rexxar.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, I got recognized enough to be put in the sample thread!

Terrendos on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ;( Dover hates me ever since I entered this thread by making a new OP

Rivulent on
    edited July 2010

The RPG part being what? Lasting research? Story?

Anything that doesn't involve using strategy against an opponent with access to equal resources and time.

Everything else is more like DnD than RTS. Blizzard is the dungeon master creating maps where you run around with little hero units and only occasionally make bases and raise armies but never against an equal opponent.

SparserLogic on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh I get it. any time I face a protoss, no matter what I see in their base, there are void rays coming.

3 out of four games I've played.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, just had a super-sweet game that made me feel like I know what I'm doing.

Opening of 14 pool speedling/baneling, did a quick bust, killed a few marines, and his natural response was.... seige tanks. Which did go against my infestor planned counter to the MMM ball I was expecting from the 4-rax opening, but I also was transitioning into Muta Harass. And of course, then I just kept making mutas out the ass when he had a ton of tanks.

Khavall on
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, has Exoplasm been streaming the lobby games? I hope no one had to sit through my TvTs with Trus and that other Terran whose name eludes me. It's sad because I used to love this match-up, but more often than not the game turns into a long grindfest of tank lines and a battle for air superiority. I've been messing around with more ground-based strats focusing on Marauders, but it's quite difficult to use them effectively. I usually just end up sending them straight into a siege line and watch them melt like butter.

mEEksa on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    oh I get it. any time I face a protoss, no matter what I see in their base, there are void rays coming.

Which is funny, because I haven't built a single VR when playing Protoss in probably two months (minus the month where there was no beta obviously).

e: I lied, I forgot that the other day I did a late game transition from stalkers/colossi to air to support my friends push to win us the game. I built two VR's just to have as anti-building DPS while I harassed the crap out of the guy with Phoenixes.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I've found that if you are zerg and I can wall in with a zealot, I will get 1-2 zealots to plug up the choke, while I go for two voidrays to win the game :winky:

Rivulent on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah after a certain point I just assume toss is getting void rays. Of course, the one time that a P did a high-ground blink into my base on Metalopolis my like 20 queens looked a little silly.

Khavall on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a general rule, I only build VRs when I need them to counter a specific strategy. I rarely try to use them unless I'm seeing a bunch of the units they counter.

Then again I'm also Bronze.

Terrendos on
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Banelings are the love of my SC2 life.

I just played a 40 minute game just with speedings and banelings and a handful of queens defending against a muta ling player. Too many for his mutas to deal with before all his lings are gone, and queens stop mutas from being much of an issue. Couldn't expand, pressure with lings entire time, he turtled up with a bunch of spinecrawlers and from there I knew game was mine. I do same thing with zealot/void players. I try to go roach once in a while, but they just feel useless.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I doing Zerg wrong? I typically never make more than one queen...

GPIA7R on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like digital distro is up now. Gogog buy and preload!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited July 2010
    I just had a really weird baneling experience. ZvT and after my bust and killing off his Mauraders+Marines, I had like 6 half-health lings against his SCVs. I figured I might as well just try to get as many kills on the SCVs before the lings fell, since I hadn't taken down the rocks and it was scrap station, I figured that I wouldn't be able to reinforce in time enough to make a difference and starting powering drones and tech for a bit....

but he never attacked the lings with the SCVs, so he just GGd.

Khavall on
    edited July 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »

I've found that if you are zerg and I can wall in with a zealot, I will get 1-2 zealots to plug up the choke, while I go for two voidrays to win the game :winky:

I just can't seem to crack toss today. I play terran. I see gateways so I go racks units but either I don't get enough out (my own fault but disappointing) OR 2 void rays show up behind my base while I fight their main army. there are always enough stalkers to make me want to get marauders which are useless against the VRs.

and the game where there were no VRs, I still overdid it on the marines cause I thought they might be coming. didn't have enough marauders to deal with the stalker attack. and they ate up my marines.

Variable on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    iowa wrote: »
    you forgot the stig's occasional misguided comment about terran being op

Or iowa crying about protoss after he loses to another one because he goes 100% marauder in every game.

Also, people can't say "oh but other games don't need one thread for multiplayer and one for single" because those other games have chat rooms and clans!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I have come into a little birthday money and have decided that some of it should be spent acquiring Starcraft 2.

Now, although I am in the beta, I don't plan on playing it that much because I am enjoying WoW at the moment--imagine that. But I would like to bone up on my strategy a little bit in preparation for launch. I watch HD Starcraft religiously (jesuschrist I am such a nerd how the fuck did I end up watching and ENJOYING Starcraft casts) so I get a good bit of ideas from those pros.

But besides that, and playing the occasional game against the Comp in Baby Diaper mode, what's a good way for me to bone up on strategies for the races, specifically protoss. I've done a little digging, but I haven't found any information that I really like and would be useful to a nub like me.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I have come into a little birthday money and have decided that some of it should be spent acquiring Starcraft 2.

Now, although I am in the beta, I don't plan on playing it that much because I am enjoying WoW at the moment--imagine that. But I would like to bone up on my strategy a little bit in preparation for launch. I watch HD Starcraft religiously (jesuschrist I am such a nerd how the fuck did I end up watching and ENJOYING Starcraft casts) so I get a good bit of ideas from those pros.

But besides that, and playing the occasional game against the Comp in Baby Diaper mode, what's a good way for me to bone up on strategies for the races, specifically protoss. I've done a little digging, but I haven't found any information that I really like and would be useful to a nub like me.

Stop watching HD and Husky, start watching Day9

Day9.tv
    Day9tv.blip.tv

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I just can't seem to crack toss today. I play terran. I see gateways so I go racks units but either I don't get enough out (my own fault but disappointing) OR 2 void rays show up behind my base while I fight their main army. there are always enough stalkers to make me want to get marauders which are useless against the VRs.

and the game where there were no VRs, I still overdid it on the marines cause I thought they might be coming. didn't have enough marauders to deal with the stalker attack. and they ate up my marines.

Marines can be effective against Stalkers, especially when paired with EMP. If you're having trouble with Void Rays, you could try the early Marine+Ghost build. It destroys Rays and can still wreck gateway units with well-placed EMPs.

mEEksa on
    edited July 2010
    mEEksa wrote: »

Marines can be effective against Stalkers, especially when paired with EMP. If you're having trouble with Void Rays, you could try the early Marine+Ghost build. It destroys Rays and can still wreck gateway units with well-placed EMPs.

ghosts!

yeah okay. I knew I had to be missing some huge option. thank you. something I knew but have rarely implemented (although oddly enough last night is the first time I used it, emp'd nicely and all... and then I guess I forgot!) so I need to work it in a bit better.

thank you.

Variable on
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Not wrong...there may be plenty of reasons to only make one...but a couple extra widens your range of options considerably.

Spreading creep. (Soooo important)
    Air D (4 or so can take on a surprising amount...transfusion is amazing)
    Bane blocking on ramps
    No gas cost!!!

etc..

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my god, some more classic words from winning games

"at least you didn't cheese this game."

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Do you mean you only make one queen total, or one queen per base? You need one queen per base up until 3 bases.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • ArgraxArgrax Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Queens are very strong against any early threat of air units. In the event that you build a couple extra and that threat never materializes, they're reasonable defense against hellion and zergling harass while providing you with extra creep tumours and eventually transitioning to future expansions. All this for 2 food and 150 minerals.

Shorter version: If I'm unable to see what's going on in my opponents base for an extended period in the early game and I'm fearful of mutas, banshees, vikings, phoenixes or void rays, I'll build an extra pair of queens.

Argrax on
    SC2: Argrax.751