As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So. Mel Gibson didn't have a thread yet. Fixed.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aw, shit. Sorry about that. I often speak that way to other guys as a joke.

Hoz on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

This seems like a great time to recommend you reconsider speaking that way to other guys too, since using "cunt" as a derogatory term for a man is implicitly derogatory towards women.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    awwwwkwwwaaaaarrrddddd

SkannerJAT on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The internet. Serious business.

adytum on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this actual irony, or just Alanis Morissette irony?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited July 2010
    Guys, you are taking Hoz out of context.

SkannerJAT on
    edited July 2010
    I'm drunk.

Hoz on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Adrien wrote: »

This seems like a great time to recommend you reconsider speaking that way to other guys too, since using "cunt" as a derogatory term for a man is implicitly derogatory towards women.

This seems like a great time to recommend you clean the sand out of your vagina.

TheCanMan on
    edited July 2010
    I'm drunk.

Damn it man, have you learned NOTHING from Mel?

SkannerJAT on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't phone tapping a federal crime?

nexuscrawler on
    edited July 2010
    Well, in the link I gave before I made half the people reading this thread go facepalm, the federal statute only covers recording without consent being given by either party. So if you're recording two other people having a conversation without them knowing about it, that's illegal.

Hoz on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Am I the only one noticing a bizarre correlation between Mel's defenders and the conservatives on this forum? Perhaps it's because conservatives, unlike those naive liberals, know what crazy bitches women truly are.
    What the fuck?

Why don't you go ahead and break down this correlation you seem to have noticed with a list.

dob, Justin Sans (sp?), and ntsf are conservatives, yis?

....I'm not a conservative. I'm a moderate. Nature's Fence Sitter.

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only one noticing a bizarre correlation between Mel's defenders and the conservatives on this forum? Perhaps it's because conservatives, unlike those naive liberals, know what crazy bitches women truly are.
    What the fuck?

Why don't you go ahead and break down this correlation you seem to have noticed with a list.

You may want to go hide. Qingu's opinion of fence sitters is well documented.

TheCanMan on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    What the fuck?

You may want to go hide. Qingu's opinion of fence sitters is well documented.

I believe Modern Man admired Mel saying he deserved a blowjob, but that's neither here nor there...

Octoparrot on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who else has defended Gibson/assumed the women recording is culpable?

Show yourselves, so I may pigeonhole you.

Qingu on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This seems like a great time to recommend you clean the sand out of your vagina.

And now I'm trying not to laugh at work.

Hawt

HappylilElf on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010

I am also offended by the use of dick, cock and bastard. Anyone who has ever used those words is a total man-hating asshole.

That one's okay, right? Because both sexes have assholes? Oh shit, now I'm getting confused...

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2010
    I'm still trying to decide what my favorite line is. It's a close race between "You should just smile and blow me!" and "I deserve to be blown before the jacuzzi! I'll burn the house down, but you should blow me first!"

TheCanMan on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Saying she's completely innocent is naive; no one is completely innocent.

Assuming the nature of her transgressions and motivations is stupid; there is no evidence to back up your claims.

Saying anything she might have done justifies his actions is insane, and you need to seek professional help.

Houn on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    As to Mel, let's pretend that the woman is actually an evil supervillain-ess who beats Mel daily and is manipulating him to steal all his hard-earned money. Let's pretend she is literally the very worst possible human being possible given the evidence we have.

Mel is still a giant crazy asshole. It's not like this is the first unhinged racist tirade he's launched.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Basically, it sounds like he's very frustrated that he isn't getting head. Perhaps he should examine his personal grooming habits.

GungHo on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Disclaimer: I have not heard the tapes.

If she is as crazy as Mel, and they often scream at each other, but she's keeping quiet because of the taping...is there any point where she seems about to lose it, but regains composure? Because if she's also a great big ball of repressed rage, I'd think that at some point, with the venom being spewed, she'd forget the situation and start yelling back.

Not that it would prove anything, but it's something to consider.

Doctor Detroit on
    edited July 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    As to Mel, let's pretend that the woman is actually an evil supervillain-ess who beats Mel daily and is manipulating him to steal all his hard-earned money. Let's pretend she is literally the very worst possible human being possible given the evidence we have.

Mel is still a giant crazy asshole. It's not like this is the first unhinged racist tirade he's launched.

Judging from the 4th tape, it seems like "literally the very worst possible human being" = "falling asleep befoerMel get's blown". She's a monster!

TheCanMan on
    edited July 2010
    Disclaimer: I have not heard the tapes.

If she is as crazy as Mel, and they often scream at each other, but she's keeping quiet because of the taping...is there any point where she seems about to lose it, but regains composure? Because if she's also a great big ball of repressed rage, I'd think that at some point, with the venom being spewed, she'd forget the situation and start yelling back.

Not that it would prove anything, but it's something to consider.
    She sounds like a scared child trying to stick up for herself, and every time she does Mel gets even crazier.

Hoz on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woah, I'm not a misogynist!

*uses being a woman as a casual insult*

Nartwak on
    edited July 2010

You're so funny!

I am also offended by the use of dick, cock and bastard. Anyone who has ever used those words is a total man-hating asshole.

That one's okay, right? Because both sexes have assholes? Oh shit, now I'm getting confused...

That's gonna be a tough sell unless you want to argue that men are an oppressed class. Not to say some people won't, but around here we call those folks "silly gooses".

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Look...do you really think Mel would have done any of this abusive stuff AFTER getting blown? The answer to solve all these disputes is a simple blow. Abusive husband? Blow him. Unfaithful husband? Blow him. Husband with a small penis that cant satisfy you? Blow him.

Its like snake oil!

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What about a husband who loses his penis in a terrible accident?

KalTorak on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mythago wrote: »
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that she's manipulating this for personal gain.

His antics are still beyond acceptable, but I would not be surprised to find out she was an active participant in a codependent abusive relationship. Having known a fair share of mutually abusive couples, I wouldn't bat an eye if we later found out she attacked him and his "you deserved [a punch in the face]" was because she was clawing at his eyes at that moment.

Getting help in a situation like that is hard enough, I can't imagine how much harder it is when millions of people are listening in and there's an entire industry dedicated to making money off of publicizing your failure. Charlie Sheen and Tom Sizemore both got to avoid the scrutiny because there was no tape to speak of.

Isn't it nice to know that no matter how much of an abusive asshole you are, if you have enough fame and money, there will always be fans who will insist you are the Real Victim and the focus should be on getting you help, and that the victim is probably a manipulative, evil bitch who brought it and/or gave as good as she got.

Having known a fair share of couples where the abuse was anything but mutual, it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear somebody argue that a) we should first and foremost feel sorry for the abuser b) the abused partner has evil motives for refusing to hide/excuse/tolerate the abuse c) it couldn't possibly be one-sided, the victim must have done SOMETHING to cause it.

There's no evidence at all that she hit Gibson first, or hit him too, or secretly used her Pussy Mind Control Ray to manipulate his brain so that he did things he never really wanted to do, like some kind of zombie puppet. "Well I know people like this" is not evidence.

I'll just respond to this one since I don't care to respond more than once.

Note where I said his antics were unacceptable. Note that the conversation over the previous pages was touching on her violation of the court order to not release. Note how many people have mentioned that we are only hearing one side of the story. Note how I never said she deserved it, but rather that she was manipulating the situation. Note how I said "it would not surprise me if..." Note how I said that he needs help for his issues.

Now please correlate that with giving him a pass, blaming her or justifying his physical and emotional violence.

Oh, and my first post, Quingu, MY VERY FIRST POST, said he needed to do time for this. A conservative said this, no less!

mrdobalina on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

It is unclear what led to Mel being batshit crazy so there's that missing from the equation. On the other hand, he threatened to kill her. If someone threatened to kill me I'd want it on tape and out in the open.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that she's manipulating this for personal gain.

His antics are still beyond acceptable, but I would not be surprised to find out she was an active participant in a codependent abusive relationship. Having known a fair share of mutually abusive couples, I wouldn't bat an eye if we later found out she attacked him and his "you deserved [a punch in the face]" was because she was clawing at his eyes at that moment.

Getting help in a situation like that is hard enough, I can't imagine how much harder it is when millions of people are listening in and there's an entire industry dedicated to making money off of publicizing your failure. Charlie Sheen and Tom Sizemore both got to avoid the scrutiny because there was no tape to speak of.

Isn't it nice to know that no matter how much of an abusive asshole you are, if you have enough fame and money, there will always be fans who will insist you are the Real Victim and the focus should be on getting you help, and that the victim is probably a manipulative, evil bitch who brought it and/or gave as good as she got.

Having known a fair share of couples where the abuse was anything but mutual, it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear somebody argue that a) we should first and foremost feel sorry for the abuser b) the abused partner has evil motives for refusing to hide/excuse/tolerate the abuse c) it couldn't possibly be one-sided, the victim must have done SOMETHING to cause it.

There's no evidence at all that she hit Gibson first, or hit him too, or secretly used her Pussy Mind Control Ray to manipulate his brain so that he did things he never really wanted to do, like some kind of zombie puppet. "Well I know people like this" is not evidence.

Note where I said his antics were unacceptable. Note that the conversation over the previous pages was touching on her violation of the court order to not release. Note how many people have mentioned that we are only hearing one side of the story. Note how I never said she deserved it, but rather that she was manipulating the situation. Note how I said "it would not surprise me if..." Note how I said that he needs help for his issues.

Now please correlate that with giving him a pass, blaming her or justifying his physical and emotional violence.

Oh, and my first post, Quingu, MY VERY FIRST POST, said he needed to do time for this. A conservative said this, no less!

The problem is evidence. We have evidence that Mel is a crazy, violence-threatening asshole. We also have evidence that she was calm during these exchanges. We have no other evidence. So for you to "go out on a limb" and ascribe any kind of bad behavior to the woman is, in fact, either pure misogyny or an even unhealthier dose of cynicism. You have no evidence to support this limb of yours and yet you are more than willing to believe in it.

This thread really is fascinating.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's no such thing as unhealthy cynicism.

(Non-cynics will probably disagree.)

Houn on
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »

This is a bit passive aggressive.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You're so funny!

That's gonna be a tough sell unless you want to argue that men are an oppressed class. Not to say some people won't, but around here we call those folks "silly gooses".

I wasn't aware that terms were derogatory only when referenceing oppressed classes of people.

Good to know, I guess?

HappylilElf on
  • ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't know if I have seen anyone in this thread disagree with your assessment of Mel. Which is odd given the posts in this thread.

Arlington on
    edited July 2010
    I wasn't aware that terms were derogatory only when referenceing oppressed classes of people.

Good to know, I guess?

It's not that only those terms are derogatory, it's that terms that denigrate an oppressed class do much greater damage to that class (and to society in general) than terms that denigrate a privileged class. That should be common sense, right?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »

The problem is evidence. We have evidence that Mel is a crazy, violence-threatening asshole. We also have evidence that she was calm during these exchanges. We have no other evidence. So for you to "go out on a limb" and ascribe any kind of bad behavior to the woman is, in fact, either pure misogyny or an even unhealthier dose of cynicism. You have no evidence to support this limb of yours and yet you are more than willing to believe in it.

She fell asleep before she gave Mel head. She is the literal incarnation of STALIN HITLER HUSSEIN!

TheCanMan on
  • NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Nucker wrote: »
    If it is entirely unfounded, then it should not be legally pursued. If someone is using it as an excuse for what Mel did--not appropriate. But that's not what's going on.
    Are you shitting me.

The guy up there just said he thinks she's manipulating him for personal gain based on his gut feelings and basically no evidence.

You think it's okay to just speculate about those type of things, no harm done, lol women? Or what.

Speculate? Yes. I think that's okay--in fact, I think it's appropriate. Why is it right to assume that a victim has no fault whatsoever because they're a victim, regardless of the crime?

What is not right is to forgive or excuse the perpetrator of a crime because a crime was committed against them--that goes both ways.

What is not right is to legally assume that the victim is at fault for the perpetrator's actions--that's ridiculous unless it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, and even then it doesn't change the fact that a crime was committed against the victim.

Read this again.
    mrdobalina wrote:

There is no excuse, no apology here. Only a proposed explanation. You take this to a court? Nothing happens. But what if it did happen and no one bothered to look because we all assumed that as the victim she had nothing to do with the perpetrator's behavior? Is it right or helpful to society that we looked the other way?

Nucker on