As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] Only 2 weeks left! Sign up to the PA friend list in the OP now!

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like digital distro is up now. Gogog buy and preload!

Where? I wasn't even aware that they would sell this game DD.

Movitz on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    my god, some more classic words from winning games

"at least you didn't cheese this game."

by the way i totally tried to 8 pool + spine crawler cheese him which is what makes this funny

it failed so i just baneling'd his shite, his lings and drones melted

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Movitz wrote: »
    Looks like digital distro is up now. Gogog buy and preload!

Where? I wasn't even aware that they would sell this game DD.[/QUOTE

Should be on Blizz's DD. So the reports say.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't find it. Maybe it'll be up there tomorrow. Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll check back after a good nights sleep.

I'm hoping to buy it in amurrican monopoly money, that is always cheaper for some reason. But they, like steam, probably checks and changes the currency to your region.

God I loved back in the good ol days when steam didn't do that, L4D1 was super cheap. They almost gave me money for buying it.

Movitz on
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kid Presentable on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my god, some more classic words from winning games

"at least you didn't cheese this game."

by the way i totally tried to 8 pool + spine crawler cheese him which is what makes this funny

it failed so i just baneling'd his shite, his lings and drones melted

some guy tried to spine crawler cheese me. I weakened it with drones and my lings finished it off when they finished spawning. Then I banelinged up his lings, took out some drones, and just focused on containing him to one base. We ended up both teching to Mutas at the same time, but I was on 2-base by that point and he was on 1, so I could flat out out-macro him. Also, I took out his ground army with mutas and just rushed the shit out of the base with the lings I was using to mineral dump.

Khavall on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kinda sucks DD people won't get it until 10am. I'll have my copy in hand at midnight, since my GS is doing a midnight release. This is one of the few games I think is worth going to a midnight release for.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    The entire beta site for battle.net is up, actually, and pretty neat!

http://beta-us.battle.net

I think I want to get the digital copy of SC2, so they better not run into some sort of issue with their "launch time" on the 27th.

Kid Presentable on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    oh I get it. any time I face a protoss, no matter what I see in their base, there are void rays coming.

3 out of four games I've played.

I love people going void rays against me, such an incredibly easy win.

And I lose horribly when I try to use them, queens, marines, stalkers pretty much shut them down entirely.

Frozenzen on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any word on how much the digital version direct from Blizz will cost?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2010
    Talith wrote: »

$59.99, same as retail. Digital distribution has unfortunately not quite evolved to the point where the consumer actually gets to partake in the savings created by eliminating packaging, shipping, etc.

Kid Presentable on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Rivulent wrote: »
    oh I get it. any time I face a protoss, no matter what I see in their base, there are void rays coming.

3 out of four games I've played.

I've found that if you are zerg and I can wall in with a zealot, I will get 1-2 zealots to plug up the choke, while I go for two voidrays to win the game :winky:

I just can't seem to crack toss today. I play terran. I see gateways so I go racks units but either I don't get enough out (my own fault but disappointing) OR 2 void rays show up behind my base while I fight their main army. there are always enough stalkers to make me want to get marauders which are useless against the VRs.

and the game where there were no VRs, I still overdid it on the marines cause I thought they might be coming. didn't have enough marauders to deal with the stalker attack. and they ate up my marines.

Marines can be effective against Stalkers, especially when paired with EMP. If you're having trouble with Void Rays, you could try the early Marine+Ghost build. It destroys Rays and can still wreck gateway units with well-placed EMPs.

ghosts!

yeah okay. I knew I had to be missing some huge option. thank you. something I knew but have rarely implemented (although oddly enough last night is the first time I used it, emp'd nicely and all... and then I guess I forgot!) so I need to work it in a bit better.

thank you.

You're building MM, so you have an engineering bay, right?
    So built a few turrets by your mineral line as well. That will deal pretty will with less than a mass of void rays. At least buy you some time.

Rend on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talith wrote: »

$59.99, same as retail. Digital distribution has unfortunately not quite evolved to the point where the consumer actually gets to partake in the savings created by eliminating packaging, shipping, etc.

well it has, but blizzard seems to love money

Jars on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are servers down? I can't connect :(

Rivulent on
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Are servers down? I can't connect :(

I'm on right now, and TL says it is up, so it's probably just you.

mEEksa on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've got some website stuff to do tonight and won't be able to check the thread. Don't get all crazy and create a new thread or something while I'm gone.
    I watching you Rivulent! :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    can you preload sc2? i'm getting my through amazon with free shipping so i wont be able to play day 1 (or first week), but i'd still want to pre-dl the whole thing in advance

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/15/download-starcraft-ii/

xta on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just had the most satisfying PvP on Steppes of War. I went my usually two gate into robo, but there was no sign of early pressure so I got the robo up a bit earlier than usual. I chronoboost out an observer immediately and send it on over to the other main. I see a small number of guys at his front door so I push in further to investigate. Right as I pass over his nexus I see a void ray go sweeping by. I'm like "Oh ho ho" I warp in four stalkers to go along with the two I already have. I immediately get a "Your base is under attack" warning and I realize that that had been the second void ray that I saw. His void ray gets charged, but luckily I had just warped in enough stalkers to deal with it. Run all six back to my nexus and take out his ray without losses. I then chronoboost out another observer while warping in some more stalkers. I set both observers, one on each far side of the base, so as to see when he brings his inevitable fleet in. Sure enough I see three void rays come floating in. I pull all my stalkers back to the side he is approaching from and promptly dispose of them. He then quits without a word. :lol:

While I found it funny how he just up and left, he was doomed anyway because I was going to push in after that and there was no way he'd have enough mans to stop me.

Maratastik on
  • LordOfTheCheeseLordOfTheCheese BF3: Scyleric Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta love the all in void ray rush.

LordOfTheCheese on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    6 ZvZ in a row, and the first opponent I get to play that isn't Zerg proxy gateway's me

having a bad night

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited July 2010
    I had a toss try to throw a proxy in my base on Lost temple. Luckily I realized that I hadn't seen the probe in a bit and took it out before it was actually useful. The rest of the match was weird though, I went Roach/Hydra, they went Zealot/Stalker. No weird cheeses or surprises after the lost proxy.

But that marked the first match today where I FEd and it payed off times like a billion and seven. Second being a fun match v. hoju we just did. It feels so incredibly risky, and my last match I reaaaaaally don't like that I placed the hatch before the roach warren, but still FE is super awesome. Without roaches I definitely would've died to a zealot push.

Khavall on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta love the all in void ray rush.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • nolifekingnolifeking Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I haven't gotten in to the Beta, and I see lots of people saying how easy it is.

What am I missing here?

nolifeking on
    Steam - nolifeking
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nolifeking wrote: »
    So I haven't gotten in to the Beta, and I see lots of people saying how easy it is.

What am I missing here?

Well, it used to be that all you had to do was preorder at Amazon or Gamestop and you'd get a code. Don't think that's going on anymore however. Anyone who wanted to could get in, it started in may at some time.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How easy what is? The game itself can be easy if you have a bad opponent.

Shens on
  • DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    I had a toss try to throw a proxy in my base on Lost temple. Luckily I realized that I hadn't seen the probe in a bit and took it out before it was actually useful. The rest of the match was weird though, I went Roach/Hydra, they went Zealot/Stalker. No weird cheeses or surprises after the lost proxy.

But that marked the first match today where I FEd and it payed off times like a billion and seven. Second being a fun match v. hoju we just did. It feels so incredibly risky, and my last match I reaaaaaally don't like that I placed the hatch before the roach warren, but still FE is super awesome. Without roaches I definitely would've died to a zealot push.

If you FE as zerg against either terran or protoss, going for a roach warren before your lair can lead to a significant disadvantage if he opts for some early air harass (which is pretty common in both match-ups). I would try to rely on fast spine crawlers with speedlings early on while you get a fast lair, then put the roach warren up once you're ready to start macroing a big army/you've ascertained that he's not going heavy air.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm assuming he means how easy it is to get into the beta.

The beta goes down in 4 days so I wouldn't worry about getting into it now, just wait for the release.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can I get an invite to the lobby if there is space next round?
    (I am assuming there is a lobby)

stimtokolos on
  • hojuhoju Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ugh, after our match I had a good 5 mile run to think about things and I realized just how terribly I played. Except for my initial scouting and some later observers I didn't leave my base or exp. I confused my void-ray HARASS with actual offense. My building focus was all over the place, but my worst sin was my lack of aggression. I hate it when I get in that mindset: macro macro macro macro then onesinglegiantgameendingbattle!!!

Building my economy's about the only thing I did well.

That was a nice burrow attack you pulled off!

hoju on
    426647-1.png
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually think a FE as zerg works really well with roaches, mass queens for AA, and by mass I mean, have 4 or 5

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
    edited July 2010
    hoju wrote: »

Ugh, after our match I had a good 5 mile run to think about things and I realized just how terribly I played. Except for my initial scouting and some later observers I didn't leave my base or exp. I confused my void-ray HARASS with actual offense. My building focus was all over the place, but my worst sin was my lack of aggression. I hate it when I get in that mindset: macro macro macro macro then onesinglegiantgameendingbattle!!!

Building my economy's about the only thing I did well.

That was a nice burrow attack you pulled off!
    Yeah, that burrow attack was mainly for scouting purposes, just in case you moved out or started to expand I wanted to block it, so I could be 2-basing v 1-base as much as possible to macro up. The Void ray harass was ok as a surprise, because I actually didn't see it coming, but once I had doubled up on queens and teched to Hydras they stopped being able to do anything. Also, I'm pretty sure the first thing you attacked was my hydra den, even though it was right near my drone line. If you had some awesome un-repellable number of VR then going after tech is awesome, but I probably would've gone after the drones first.

That attack in the end was super-weak too, I probably shouldn't've won on that, but yeah I got lucky with that burrow flank.

Either way, I'm probably done with ranked matches for tonight anyways... if we have a lobby up after the Day[9] I might do some more customs but... after a couple of rum+cokes no more ranked matches.

Khavall on
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey there fellows, is there an effective counter for Terran vs Protoss in the early game (if the latter is going mass Stalkers/Sentries/Zealots)? I usually try to go Marines/Medivacs/Siege Tanks, but that usually doesn't end so well.

Prisca on
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

There actually isn't really a lobby tonight, as of yet, despite the huge number of people we had last night. Get on Mumble if you want to ask someone to invite; that is where we do all of our talking besides.

mEEksa on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mEEksa wrote: »

There actually isn't really a lobby tonight, as of yet, despite the huge number of people we had last night. Get on Mumble if you want to ask someone to invite; that is where we do all of our talking besides.

Does mumble have a chat serv?

SkyGheNe on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prisca wrote: »
    Hey there fellows, is there an effective counter for Terran vs Protoss in the early game (if the latter is going mass Stalkers/Sentries/Zealots)? I usually try to go Marines/Medivacs/Siege Tanks, but that usually doesn't end so well.

include some ghosts in your ball?

Jars on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone interested in starting a lobby - add me: rewsky.620

SkyGheNe on
    edited July 2010
    I would but I have to go enroll in my new course in like 20 minutes. I should be back within a couple of hours though if you're still awake.

stimtokolos on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prisca wrote: »

Are you not including Marauders? Marauders really hurt stalkers, given that they are armored.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited July 2010
    If you're only going to have 1 or 2 siege tanks, drop them in favour of ghosts.
    Those EMPs make you shit yourself as protoss.
    Ok lets do this! OH SHIT MY STALKERS AND SENTRIES JUST LOST HALF THEIR HP AND ALL THEIR ENERGY RUN

stimtokolos on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I never think about making Ghosts. Must be the SC1 in me not willing to adapt.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page