As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Reading/Book Thread: With That Same Ol' Bad Taste!

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
Alright, this is the new book thread, and that.

Let's talk about what great literary works we are reading, pondering, and in most of your cases, substituting for shite!

I just finished Fictions by Borges. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to reading Borges. I'm going to re-read a few of the stories again today, and see if I can head down to the bookshop to find some more.

I'm also hankering for reading some more Pynchon. I might go get a copy of V!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so I finally finished Liberation

it was pretty fantastic

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am reading a collection of Conan short stories, and The Secret Diary of a Call Girl, and I may start some Bond books soon.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am either going to read The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler or Neil Gaiman's Fragile Little Things. Just finished up Michael Chabon's Kavalier and Clay. It was quite good.

Do people here have good reads? I need more recommendations.

SenorTacos on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do I do!

http://www.goodreads.com/extemporanea

I just read faithful place by tana french and I'm now out of reading material. not sure what I feel like reading next.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I found a book while clearing out my Grandmother's storage, "Emily Post's Etiquette" from like 1930. It's pretty interesting. My mom claims my grandmother also had a book that belonged to her mother about general etiquette, except from about 1880. I haven't found it yet, but I hope I do.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    also after reading Mike Mignola's tribute to Manly Wade Wellman at the end of The Crooked Man and Other Stories, I picked up THE DANCERS OF GOLGOTHA and THE DEVIL'S ASTEROID from Project Gutenberg. They're pretty amazing.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder how quickly this thread will turn into another place for people to act superior.

Just finished Crooked Little Vein.

People are some weird motherfuckers.

RAGE. on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't find it.

Can't find my copy of the silmarillion.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    about a quarter of the way through mason and dixon

want some good comics, serialized

Ulises on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Let's talk about what great literary works we are reading, pondering, and in most of your cases, substituting for shite!

I just finished Fictions by Borges. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to reading Borges. I'm going to re-read a few of the stories again today, and see if I can head down to the bookshop to find some more.

what a wonderful post this is

If you want more great Borges, go to Labyrinths

I think it has some of the same ones as Fictions, but it's his other fine collection

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the first borges thing i read was a universal history of iniquity

it's a literature wet dream

Ulises on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jonathan Lethem continues to be amazing.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »

what a wonderful post this is

If you want more great Borges, go to Labyrinths

I think it has some of the same ones as Fictions, but it's his other fine collection

I was thinking of getting The Aleph next; should I go with that, or with Labyrinths?

Anyway, I'm now around 50 pages into V. So far, so good.
    Ulises wrote: »
    about a quarter of the way through mason and dixon

want some good comics, serialized
    Ooh, how is Mason and Dixon? Have you read any other Pynchon?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm thinking of pirating some books, and by that I mean going to the library

Franko on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hooray for the library!

I'm probably going to start The gone away world over the weekend and I'm really looking forward to it, it looks ridiculous.

Peen on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    Hooray for the library!

I'm probably going to start The gone away world over the weekend and I'm really looking forward to it, it looks ridiculous.

The Gone Away World is good times. Probably my favorite read of the year thus far.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finished the 5th Temeraire book.
    Thought it had a pretty good ending, wrapped up the arc nicely. Really looking forward to the 6th one to see what new fun stuff happens. Though, Nelson dying how he did was a bit weird.

Now reading these

200px-Dragoncharm.jpghistoryeurope.jpg

The Europe book is fat and educational and has tiny writing, which feels pretty weird after the light popcorn read of Temeraire. Kind of feels like homework.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Perfect timing - I need a new audiobook. Recommendations, GO!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    Hooray for the library!

The Gone Away World is good times. Probably my favorite read of the year thus far.

So much fun is that book. The less you know about it before you read it the better.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got back from the library!

Lies_and_the_lying_liars.jpg

blink1.jpg

outliers1.jpg

the-tipping-point-by-malcolm-gladwell.jpg

I fucking love Malcom Gladwell

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They must have blown the bank designing those covers.

I finished Eaters of the Dead again last night. I liked it. It's a pretty simple read and I wish it had more backmatter and pedantic foot notes, but as a single document, it's still pretty fun. It's the kind of fantasy I like (if you can call it that) where it mixes basic, mundane historical reality with the stranger parts of our own world. In this case the wendol aren't actual monsters and there aren't actual dragons, they're just Neanderthals and any other instance of legend or fantasy is, more or less, a misunderstanding of what the thing actually is. Then you add a thousand years of rumor and mistranslation and all of the sudden, these minor misunderstandings turn into mythical beasts and such. I find that to be incredibly cool.

I don't like fantasy that's way out there, with a million different races co-existing and fake languages and magic. I like ugly, gritty, down to earth stuff, which I guess is why I like the Conan series. There's a lot of fantastic stuff in it, but it all comes down to these very grounded ideas.

Plus, I'm of the opinion that as a monster, you can't do any better than a giant, blood-thirsty ape. People have tried and they've failed.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Turning PointTurning Point Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The worst book I've ever read was Tick Tock by Dean R. Koontz. Starts good then turns to utter shit the moment he decided to use the typewriter as a self-aggrandizing tool to quell his inner demons.

Turning Point on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Perfect timing - I need a new audiobook. Recommendations, GO!

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk

Oral biographies lend themselves to the audiobook format so well, because each character gets his own voice and it really helps flesh out the world. I can't even imagine going back and just reading this.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (BBC Radio Play edition)

Basically they make a radio drama out of the book, and it is fantastic. Plus one of the hobbits from LOTR (Billy Boyd) has one of the main roles, it's really fun to listen to.

Literally anything by David Sedaris. It is all solid gold.

I want to pick up some of Sarah Vowell's audiobooks too, because she not only has a fantastic reading voice, she has a fantastic literary voice, and apparently cameos by famous funny people.

I've got a copy of Hyperion by Dan Simmons on the backburner because it was free from Audible for a promotion they were doing. Dunno how good it'll be, but it was free, so I already got my money's worth.

freakish light on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I am reading a collection of Conan short stories, and The Secret Diary of a Call Girl, and I may start some Bond books soon.

I just finished the last of the Conan shorts (at least the ones published when Howard was still around) this morning.

I almost regret having read them, but I'm still going to read at least The Hour of the Dragon and maybe the Solomon Kane stories before I give up on him completely.

I'm still thinking Howard was probably at least a little bit of a terrible person, what with the blatant racism and casual rapes and all.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, Howard was kind of a dick. He was friends with HP Lovecraft. Make of that what you will.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lovecraft is a little (only a little) less blatant with the racism, but he also had less opportunity. I can't think of any implied rape in Lovecraft's stories, but I haven't read them all and could just be blocking it out.

That said, The Tower of the Elephant is a blatant Lovecraft ripoff and is awesome for it.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I just finished the last of the Conan shorts (at least the ones published when Howard was still around) this morning.

I almost regret having read them, but I'm still going to read at least The Hour of the Dragon and maybe the Solomon Kane stories before I give up on him completely.

I'm still thinking Howard was probably at least a little bit of a terrible person, what with the blatant racism and casual rapes and all.

He also spent most of his life hating himself and everyone he knew.

Then he killed himself.

So, he may have been a bad person, but it's not like he didn't earn it.

RAGE. on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lovecraft is a little (only a little) less blatant with the racism, but he also had less opportunity. I can't think of any implied rape in Lovecraft's stories, but I haven't read them all and could just be blocking it out.

That said, The Tower of the Elephant is a blatant Lovecraft ripoff and is awesome for it.

I'd like to think that Lovecraft's racism was zeitgeist but that is a tough argument for anyone who was alive while Mark Twain was writing.

If he were alive today, he'd probably be one of those people who says things like, "I'm not racist, but..."

RAGE. on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    RAGE. wrote: »

He also spent most of his life hating himself and everyone he knew.

Then he killed himself.

So, he may have been a bad person, but it's not like he didn't earn it.

When his mother took ill, he made it known that he would kill himself when she died.

No one stopped him when he went out to the car with a gun.

I think this may have had something to do with it:
    In the first place, she should be at least six feet tall and weigh about two hundred pounds, so she could take in washing or coal heaving at wharfs, while I took a vacation. As beauty is apt to make a woman vain, she should have a face that resembled a female crocodile with hippopotamus ancestors. As to hair, eyes and so on, I have no especial preference, but if she squinted with one ye and goggled with the other, it would be all right. Also, she should have a strong Swedish accent.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The thing about Howard is that Conan is more or less entirely about how Anglo-Saxons are descended from heroes and all of the other races and ethnicities of Europe are villains in one way or another.

HP Lovecraft isn't as blatantly racist, but if you read into his life you'll find that he's got more than a few personal problems regarding the non-white races. Plus, he was a huge Anglophile, which is not all that endearing of a human quality.

I guess you could argue that each of their prejudices are results of the time, but, even if it is, their biases still show up in their works.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    smof wrote: »
    200px-Dragoncharm.jpg

i can't stop giggling at this cover

Ulises on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Howard shot himself.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'd like to think that Lovecraft's racism was zeitgeist but that is a tough argument for anyone who was alive while Mark Twain was writing.

If he were alive today, he'd probably be one of those people who says things like, "I'm not racist, but..."

The most blatant offense that I can recall out of Lovecraft is his comparison of a reanimated black man to a gorilla. I'm not excusing it by any means, but it was pretty standard for his time. Definitely racist, but no more so than your great grandfather.

Most of the Conan stories come right out and say that black people are mentally, culturally, or morally inferior. Sometimes it's as simple as the narrator saying something like "and he did this horrible thing because he was black and black people are just like that". One of the more popular plots is Conan saving a white woman from being raped by black men (often only to rape her himself).

Occasionally he also harps on the Jews.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just finished Iron Council. I don't know that I liked it as well as Perdido Street Station, though I did like the idea of a fantasy city rising up in what was basically a communist rebellion. Bit of a different plot than most fantasy for sure.

Mieville's ornate vocabulary is hard to appreciate when I can't tell some of the words he's made up from real words that I just don't know.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I know I'm a few years late, but I also recently read Snow by Orhan Pamuk.

An isolated town serves to examine the inter-relations of the various social, political, and religious factions of modern-day Turkey. It might be a bit lengthier than necessary, but it's very worth it. A lot of the connections he draws are a little surprising, but they each make sense in their own way.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The most blatant offense that I can recall out of Lovecraft is his comparison of a reanimated black man to a gorilla. I'm not excusing it by any means, but it was pretty standard for his time. Definitely racist, but no more so than your great grandfather.

Most of the Conan stories come right out and say that black people are mentally, culturally, or morally inferior. Sometimes it's as simple as the narrator saying something like "and he did this horrible thing because he was black and black people are just like that". One of the more popular plots is Conan saving a white woman from being raped by black men (often only to rape her himself).

Occasionally he also harps on the Jews.

Lovecraft also wrote a story in which a character has a vision of the future wherein the US is conquered by asians.

He was not as polite as I was just now.

RAGE. on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He calls them "rice Mexicans."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When's the cutoff date for "product of their time" because both of them were flirting with it.

captaink on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm loving, loving norwegian wood. loving it.

also is it horrible of me if when i see the name conan i dont think of 'the barbarian' or 'o'brien' but 'detective conan'

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
This discussion has been closed.