As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warlocks: We wear cloth.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heh, it occurs to me now that the current beta affliction pve spec would probably prefer imp, since you can pick up improved imp, but there's no longer an improved fel hunter.

I find it funny more than useful, since obviously there will be a lot of changes.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the lock trees go through several more revisions before the end of this month. There is a fair amount of wonkiness in the trees.

CoX is not a stellar 11 pointer. I'd rather they merge it w/ CoT and make it a baby slow. Dark pact is silly since you have to take improved lifetap it either needs a rework or be replaced all together.

Demo needs some more PvE centered talents in the top tiers. Hand of Gul'dan and cremation sound fun hopefully demo will be a little less chaotic to play.

Bane and Imp soul-fire stack right now; So enjoy your two second soul-fires giving you 15% bonus haste. As if instant soul-fire wasn't hilarious enough. Imp searing pain makes me think they want it to play a greater role in destro's dps. Shadowburn still feels like a less convenient version of fireblast, they could try making it an execute phase ability.

So yeah none of this will see live.

Zafina on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally hit 80 on my lock, swapped her to destro and I'm liking it so far. I'm wondering if I have the right idea of how to play this spec.

So far I'm trying to keep immolate up at all times, conflag whenever it's up, same for chaos bolt and then incinerate at all other times. And I've pretty much just been using curse of elements.

Is there other things I should be doing or knowing? Any subtleties I'm missing out on?

-SPI- on
  • OddsmakerOddsmaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if you are glyphed for lifetap just gotta make sure you have the buff up at all times as well, other then that the rotation should be something like what you said, coe, immo, chaos, conflag, incin, then life tap as need for mana/buff

Oddsmaker on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Corruption and life tap during movement otherwise yeah. Immo - conflag - cb - incinerate keeping curse and lifetap buff up.

Could Curse of Doom as well if you have someone else that will apply the spell damage debuff.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really *should* get dual-spec for my Warlock so I can have a Destro spec available. I did like it while leveling, but at 80 I wanted to try out the new Affliction. It has been neat and I can do some great damage on mobs I have a chance to ramp up on (bosses), but...

Dranyth on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I really *should* get dual-spec for my Warlock so I can have a Destro spec available. I did like it while leveling, but at 80 I wanted to try out the new Affliction. It has been neat and I can do some great damage on mobs I have a chance to ramp up on (bosses), but...

Demonology is the only spec!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I need like quad spec.

I was Destro/Aff damage specced until we started working on heroic saurfang, so now I'm Destro with replenishment and Destro with shadowfury for raiding.

I wish I could also have aff raiding and a pvp spec too without going back to my damn trainer all the time. :\ at least talented makes it easy to reapply talent points.

LockeCole on
    edited July 2010
    Never liked Demonology, and I *really* don't like Metamorphosis. I tried a Felguard/Ruin spec for a short time when I first started leveling again in Wrath, but ended up switching to Destro after a patch that improved some things for them.

I didn't continue leveling to 80 until recently from where I stopped at 76, and I believe at that point I switched to Affliction to finish up.

Dranyth on
    edited July 2010
    I still have most of northrend left to finish quests in. I kind of want to dual spec aff for those because running around dotting everything in sight is too easy and hilarious a way to quest.

-SPI- on
    edited July 2010
    Sign me up for the meta-hating list. I'm not even sure why, I just really don't like the talent or how it works. I did like the felguard/emberstorm hybrid build that was good in naxx, which is pretty much how I wanted demo to play. Oh well, I really like destro now.

LockeCole on
    edited July 2010
    I'm not a fan of meta either, actually.

End on
    edited July 2010
    My first homebrew demo spec actually didn't have meta in it because I thought it was shite and pointless, but its really good in reality, I don't like it either though. I don't really see the point of giving warlocks an "ohlol melee! option, the cleave is on a longass cooldown and does crap damage. It would be cool though if they added in some unique models for each race for meta though in cata.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love pet classes. Adore them. But I don't play a demonology warlock, and I'll tell you why. Felguards look fucking stupid, and so does the Metamorphosis form. I'd rather they replaced the felguard with a talent that lets you summon any of your demons instantly and for no cost, and replace Metamorphosis with a talent that lets you summon multitudes of your chosen demon for a short time (say, an army of voidwalkers... or infernals).

What kind of pet-centric spec forces you to use a single pet? A bad one.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that won't happen (the new race models I mean).

Interesting to see the Meta dislike around though.

It's really a strange damn talent for a caster. Woo, look at my Warform!

Dranyth on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to be able to summon a Dreadlord.

Or Mal'Ganis.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't Meta still just a good DPS cooldown even if you completely ignore the melee/immo shit and continue as normal?

forty on
    edited July 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Isn't Meta still just a good DPS cooldown even if you completely ignore the melee/immo shit and continue as normal?

Its a flat 20% damage buff, so yeah. I have mine on a macro along with the orc racial for extra spellpower and another with a wild magic pot for those nukes phases. It still looks fucking stupid though.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually really like meta. The cleave is shit, as well as the aggro move, but the fire aura and the charge are great. Plus the 20% extra damage really helps with dps.

It's also a pretty unique model, I like it.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Gnutson wrote: »
    Gnutson wrote: »
    I never want to waste a cooldown while in meta. Which includes charging or immolate aura.

If there is an opportunity to move between cooldowns (after a corruption or curse global for example) I will, but you'll get so much more bang for you buck casting.

Also want to make sure you lifetap (if glyphed for it) right before you pop meta do you won't need to during.

imo anyway.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was thinking using the GCDs to charge and immolation aura wouldn't be worth it, but I wanted to get input from somebody with experience. And thanks for the tip about lifetap glyph. I am a lifetapping fool on my lock. The last time I play him I pretty much just hit rank 1 lifetap about every 5 seconds in between combats to keep my glyph up and to keep a full stack of my Illustration of the Dragon Soul buff, and I never let the buff drop in combat.

Try using Rank 8 (iirc that is the highest) it doesn't take near the life it used to.

Oh, I always use the max rank for life tapping in combat or when I actually need mana, I just use rank 1 to build/keep up the 10 stacks of my IotDS trinket in between fights. I try to annoy the healer as little as possible with my tapping. =)

At higher levels keeping locks topped off between fights isn't a problem that even approaches annoying. At lower levels though, OH MY GOD there is nothing worse than the locks who tap to no health right before every pull. I've seen healers in lower level instances curse out warlocks and drop after a few pulls of that. Please don't be that guy.

Being a main tank means having situational awareness and knowing what's going on at all times. I don't ever tap myself to very low health when it's going to put any strain on the healer. I'm always aware of how much mana the healer has, how much mana I need for the next pull, etc.

If I recall correctly from my days in WoW, unless it was a very high end instance or they were actually being attacked warlocks should always just heal themselves up with drain life, since overall it was WAY better than the slightly increased DPS from shadowbolting considering it freed healer mana for other crap.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited July 2010
    I actually really like meta. The cleave is shit, as well as the aggro move, but the fire aura and the charge are great. Plus the 20% extra damage really helps with dps.

It's also a pretty unique model, I like it.

I like meta as well. I hated it when I switched, and only switched for the benefit of the raid at the time, but I've come to love it.

Keeping decimation up so I can soulfire from target to target is a nice challange, and meta is a pretty impressive dps cooldown, even without the charge, cleave and immo aura.

Not to mention the spellpower boost it gives a raid is second to none with a geared lock.

As for the models, I hardly see my felguard as it's in mellee and I'm not.. and I think the meta model is kinda funky.

Gnutson on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    delroland wrote: »

Wow, those trees are awful, close to the very definition of bad. Effectively it means that every Affliction warlock is the same up till level 70 or something, and, that your spell rotation won't come close to being OK till that point. An awful decision by blizzard.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited July 2010
    Keep in mind, you get UA automatically for making affliction your primary.

Nevertheless, those trees definitely need a ton of work.

End on
    edited July 2010
    It's the very start of beta.. chances are it might change quite alot..

Gnutson on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The best thing about meta is if a priest levitates you while you're transformed your wings flap.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited July 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The best thing about meta is if a priest levitates you while you're transformed your wings flap.

Okay, that actually is awesome.

Also, once you get fel armor you basically don't have to worry about the damage that lifetap causes.

LockeCole on
    edited July 2010
    As Affliction I don't care anyway, Siphon Life and Haunt returns easily cover some Lifetaps combined with Fel Armor. I usually don't tap like crazy to low health ever though, typically when I have a free moment and notice I'm over a tap's worth of mana down, I'll pop it to make sure my buff stays up. By the time I'm that low on mana again, my health is usually full.

Add to that Dark Pacting sometimes instead and health usually isn't an issue.

Overall I still use Lifetap more often than Dark Pact, though I shouldn't... I'm already above the breaking point.

I *am* going to miss rank 1 Lifetap for a quick glyph buff though.

Dranyth on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »

Demonology is the only spec!

Pfff. Only if you're a lame-o Illidan fanboy.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    demonology is surprisingly fun these days, although meta still feels pretty clunky. Even the way it runs is awkward.

I'm actually having kind of a hard time deciding what specs to be.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's the way I see it:

Destruction -- if you wanted to pew pew with fire, you should have rolled a mage.

Demonology -- pretty cool until they introduced Metamorphosis. LAAAAAME!

Affliction -- what's the iconic warlock command? "More dots!" Who's best at it? TAA DAA!

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited July 2010
    Here's the way I see it:

Destruction -- if you wanted to pew pew with fire, you should have rolled a mage.

Affliction -- what's the iconic warlock command? "More dots!" Who's best at it? TAA DAA!

Affliction is cool and all, but I for raiding I usually need to either provide replenishment or have shadowfury available. I really want to love demo, but I just can't :\

LockeCole on
    edited July 2010
    I have to agree that while demonology is pretty cool in theory, the felguard and metamorphosis look far too dumb for me to ever spec into it.

-SPI- on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I have to agree that while demonology is pretty cool in theory, the felguard and metamorphosis look far too dumb for me to ever spec into it.

This is why with Archaeology since we will be digging up things from the War of the Ancients we could find items daemons can use so we could have a way to customize our daemons to the way we play with them! but I doubt blizzard could see that how they can solve the issue of customizing daemons to the way people want to play with them and not have them like hunter's pets and a use for the new skill

Brainleech on
  • zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's the way I see it:

I used to feel that way about Destruction for the longest time (lawl fire), but now I like the best out of the three specs.

I tried to love Demo, I try it once a year, it just never works out.

zagi on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    soul fire is a lot of fun, though

like, a lot

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunno what your guys' beef with demo is, 50k dps on trash is great.
    The main fun of the spec is soulfire clipping IMO. Also keeping up DOTs, unlike destro. Though bane of w/e, the beacon of dmg is looking fun.

Jutranjo on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can understand not liking the aesthetics of Destro and Demo, but personally I find the playstyles a lot more fun than Affliction these days. Though part of that's the stress of rolling a buffed Corruption. Not my cup of tea.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2010
    I kind of want them to keep the improved corruption or everlasting but the more I play with the tree the more unhappy I get with it

So I think I am going to write them a letter not an email or post it but a real letter of complaint about the preview of the warlock talents and what they are thinking about afflction in cataclysm

Brainleech on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    By the time that letter got there the trees would have changed five times.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2010
    By the time that letter got there the trees would have changed five times.

But then I would be still stuck choosing talents like improved fear, instant howl or curse of exhaustion. I quit really using one of those talents way back in vanilla wow since it was not that usful.

Eradication is not that great of a talent.

I don't see why they got rid of nightfall because an instant shadow bolt was useful

Brainleech on
This discussion has been closed.