As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA: Playoffs! Refs are the only team that matters.

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Miami's got a hell of a team. In this thread, you discuss Miami and other, less good teams, and their free agent signings and trades.

For example: The Warriors got sold today to a guy that already owns part of the Celtics. How the hell is that gonna work? Also, Al Harrington signed with the Nuggets for the full MLE. Really, someone gave him five years?

More importantly, though, it's time to start recruiting for our fantasy league slow draft. What's a slow draft? Well it's a draft we do over the course of the next couple months here on the forum. All you need is a Yahoo account. If we get too many people signing up preference will be given to those who have been in the league in the past.

We can discuss start date, stat categories, and roster spots as well.

Who is in:
1. deadonthestreet - dots
2. dlinfiniti - sp00ns
3. BubbaT - BubbaT
4. Cauld - Cauld
5. fortis - fortis
6. yotes - Troubled Gryffindor
7. TheBigEasy - TheBigEasy
8. Eat It. Eat it, You Nasty Pig. - Eat It. Eat it, you nasty pig.
9. clownfood - Zombies
10. Phonehand - meeeee
11. Frosteey - I want to play : D
12. Bergy - me.
13. FirstComradeStalin - Ron Ron's Psych
14. Namel3ss - Namel3ss
15. tinyfist - LeBron's Ego
16. sportzboytjw - LeBrons are back!

Note: this is not the draft order I will randomize it when the league is full.

deadonthestreet on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sp00ns

game...
    blouses

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this the new general NBA thread, or just for the fantasy league?

I'm in for the fantasy league, even though I seem to be getting progressively worse each year (1-1-4-9 in the standings the last 4 yrs)

BubbaT

I'm fine with the same categories as last year, though I wouldn't be opposed to adding an additional category. On one hand the current cats are balanced between guards and big men, on the other having 5-5 ties is annoying.

Fine with the same roster setup as last year, down for either an online draft or in-forum draft.

As for real-life, Scola re-signed with the Rockets for 5 years, $47 million - a terrific bargain in this year's market.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think we should have different threads for fantasy and general NBA. Its hard for people to talk about the NBA when we're having a slow draft, just like it was last year and in the baseball thread before the start of the season. With that all being said, I'm down for any format.

Cauld

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    When we get to drafting we can have another thread if the mods ok it but for now there's no need for two

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that makes sense. I'd like the think the Wolves had a plan and did well this off-season, but arguments like the ones BubbaT makes are hard for me to refute. Sigh. At least I think the Knicks improved a little

Cauld on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Kings marketing guys work fast. DeMarcus "Boogie" Cousins, Summer League highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsDjk29HSxM

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in for another season.

fortis

fortis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jeremy Lin highlights against the Wizards. I really hope he makes it on a roster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkXmMcGfLo

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Troubled Gryffindor

Love the Scola contract for the Rockets, they probably overpaid for [strike]Mike[/strike] Kyle Lowry but I'm a big fan of his anyways.

Harrington probably deserves his contract but he doesn't make sense on the Nuggets. Then again, who does?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TheBigEasy

So ... Kevin Pritchard seems to be the frontrunner for the Hornets job. Normally I'd jump up and down with joy, but I read a few not so nice things about him. His ouster in Portland seemed to be at least in part his fault, he allegedly was trying to get more credit for building that team then he got ... if I remember correctly.

Anybody got any inside into that?

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should be jumping up and down. Paul Allen et al ran an extended hit job on him for months, but it's all BS really. He's never been any more a media hound than any other GM.

Also Eat It. Eat it, you nasty pig.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HA ... found something ... I think I posted it in the other thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-trailblazers032210

If any of this is true, I am not so sure it will be a great hire.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Jeremy Lin highlights against the Wizards. I really hope he makes it on a roster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkXmMcGfLo

TAIWANESE PRIDE, BITCHES!

Seriously though, he looks pretty good in those summer league highlights. I'm sure the creater of that video cut out all the parts where Lin ended up looking silly, but I always thought he had a nice, rounded skill set that made for solid bench depth for a decent team down the road.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scola isn't far off from a David Lee or Carlos Boozer in production, and has been played all 82 games for each of the past three seasons... so this is a nice deal for the Rockets.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Remember what I said about LeBron's buddies being his management team?

Turns out this is pretty stupid.

This guy's mother bullied this woman into give the pendant to her. Whether or not Carter set this up is unknown, but at the least the mother should be charged with unlawful imprisonment.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Orlando matched on Redick.

Nate Robinson staying with Boston.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At some point Orlando will have to start giving up some quality players (Bass, Gortat) for ... what, picks, depth? I'm not sure what their plan is, they're not getting a top-tier guard through a trade from anywhere unless the Blazers completely implode (not impossible).

Mid-season Nash trade, though? He can't be too happy with the way the Suns have gone.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yotes wrote: »
    At some point Orlando will have to start giving up some quality players (Bass, Gortat) for ... what, picks, depth? I'm not sure what their plan is, they're not getting a top-tier guard through a trade from anywhere unless the Blazers completely implode (not impossible).

Mid-season Nash trade, though? He can't be too happy with the way the Suns have gone.

They have depth, they need a premier wing. Carter was supposed to be it, but he and Rashard stunk it up last playoffs.

Also, Ronnie Brewer to Bulls, 3 years, $12.5 million

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ronnie Brewer got a 3 year deal for 12.5 million with the Bulls.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/16/ronnie-brewer-to-join-the-bulls/

And Amar'e thanks the people of Phoenix for supporting him throughout his career.

http://twitpic.com/25upa7

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    its hard... this fall, i am going to take my talents to the big apple and join the new york knicks

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In it to win it!

Zombies

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    meeeee

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure the Rockets would be more than willing to take Gortat off their hands for cap space, maybe a pick or a young guy.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »

youtube

TAIWANESE PRIDE, BITCHES!

Seriously though, he looks pretty good in those summer league highlights. I'm sure the creater of that video cut out all the parts where Lin ended up looking silly, but I always thought he had a nice, rounded skill set that made for solid bench depth for a decent team down the road.

^5

Hopefully there's more highlights to come, and maybe? a contract. If so, a jersey will definitely be in order.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For example: The Warriors got sold today to a guy that already owns part of the Celtics. How the hell is that gonna work?

He's going to sell that stake.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to play : D

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I need a team name then

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i dont know why so many people are signing up to lose to me
    i would imagine losing is pretty unpleasant

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh hey,me.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wow...

Wade just stuck his foot in his mouth.
    "We're going to be wearing a bullseye,'' Wade said. "But that's what you play for. If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the World Trade (Center) is coming down again. When the schedule comes out, people will be looking for the Lakers and Heat, to see when they play us. I feel like I'm a new player in Miami. That's how excited I am.''
    http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/18/heat-supporting-cast-has-become-better-than-expected/

Apparently Wade is not very intelligent.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    never forget

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    author reworded the quote in the article.

ahh the journalism

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Jesus christ what a fuck up. This is the reworded.
    "We're going to be wearing a bullseye. But that's what you play for," Wade said. "We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Editor's Note: Because of a transcription error, an earlier version of this story contained an incorrect quote from Dwyane Wade. The full and accurate version of the quote is contained in this story. We deeply regret the error.

harveyheadbig.jpg

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mitch Albom is now working for NBA fanhouse?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "We're going to be wearing a bullseye. But that's what you play for," Wade said. "We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games.

Wow. What a misquote. At least they corrected it, so I can forgive them. My respect for Wade almost went down a little, but it went up instead. I remember Garnett saying something like 'this series is gonna be a war, we're gonna be our guns, our grenade launchers' etc. and got in some trouble for it.

Cauld on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in as Ron Ron's Psych

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blazers new GM is Rich Cho, who was Sam Presti's assistant in Seattle/OKC.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13651163/jordan-shares-his-disappointment-of-heat-big-3
    Jordan shares his disappointment of Heat Big Three
    July 18, 2010
    By Ken Berger
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

LAS VEGAS -- The latest Big Three backlash came Sunday from none other than Michael Jordan, who contributed his weighty opinion to the debate about whether LeBron James should've teamed up with two superstars instead of trying to beat them.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said after finishing tied for 22nd in the American Century Championship golf tournament in Stateline, Nev. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Those last few words, said in an interview with NBC Sports, will resonate and hang over James all season, the way Jordan's legacy has hovered over the first seven years of his career. Clearly, I am not alone in believing that James broke ranks in a legacy-damaging way by teaming up with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh instead of trying to go through them in the eternal struggle for championships that the great players have always faced.

"Mike and I are in 100 percent agreement on this," Charles Barkley told the Arizona Republic this week. "If you're the two-time defending NBA MVP, you don't leave anywhere. They come to you. That's ridiculous. I like LeBron. He's a great player. But I don't think in the history of sports you can find a two-time defending MVP leaving to go play with other people."

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cauld wrote: »

Wow. What a misquote. At least they corrected it, so I can forgive them. My respect for Wade almost went down a little, but it went up instead. I remember Garnett saying something like 'this series is gonna be a war, we're gonna be our guns, our grenade launchers' etc. and got in some trouble for it.

Not much of a misquote, he still makes the same comparison just in the sentence after.

UnknownSaint on
This discussion has been closed.