As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    and if you want to work in some kind of physics engine that has height play a role in ranged damage, that would make archer-type characters more dynamic and interesting to play!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited May 2010
    but if there's only one thing you'll take away from my suggestions:

give players an alternative to hitting max level other than grinding/questing

pvp for xp!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It took me a year and a half to hit 50 in DAoC. I did the last 10 levels with Catacombs because there was just no way to do it without losing my mind. Plus for someone that has altitis like I do (I like end game), I really like to get them to the content and just play the shit out of them.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited May 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »

pvp for xp!

This has the added benefit of not letting people be stupid with PvP and try to use it to annoy players. Which is why I'm glad wow finally added it.

Realistic XP though, so you can actually use it to level.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited May 2010
    also might i reccomend NOT having an official forum?

eatmosushi on
    edited May 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    eatmosushi wrote: »

pvp for xp!

This has the added benefit of not letting people be stupid with PvP and try to use it to annoy players. Which is why I'm glad wow finally added it.

Realistic XP though, so you can actually use it to level.

yeah, I would go out of my way to grief as many people as possible if I had the ability to and no PVP outlet to do so constructively.

eatmosushi on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think Sushi is saying, "Make Warhammer Online, but make it not suck. Also, don't crash and burn in the first year."

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think Sushi is saying, "Make Warhammer Online, but make it not suck. Also, don't crash and burn in the first year."

God you know me so well :winky:

eatmosushi on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually with the rifts that gives you the option of having some steam powered machinery.

Steam punk MMO would be different from fantasy, but not so different as to be scarey for investors to say "Make it like wow"

MrIamMe on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh hey, finally a new MMO on the horizon to look forward to. I had been feeling the MMO future was going to be pretty bleak for a while. I really dig the look of this one after seeing the trailer. Not sure how it stayed off my radar until today though!

vamen on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still keeping an eye on this one but I feel swtor will really have to bomb for me to fit another mmo in to my life next year. Shame they weren't further along in development as I think this looks really steady.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited July 2010
    Revising my last post, this is fast becoming my number one watched mmo at the moment. I really love the sound of their intended class system and am kind of drawn to a smaller company rpg like this as they can have a tighter community feel on the servers.

Class system interview from tenton hammer if anyone but me is still interested in this one.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/rift/interviews/class-callings-scott-hartsman

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    This is still very interesting.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2010
    I agree, this looks like it'll be a fun game. At least a wow killer to me if the gameplay is as good.

Hopefully the guy still posts/reads here, but, is there PvP in the works and how is it speculated to work? Also, armor, is there ways to customize it? (Guild emblems, dyes, vanity slots so I can pick armor I like to look at and build around it while keeping the awesome item still equipped for the stats)

bowen on
    edited July 2010
    Not sure about customisation but I'm pretty sure pvp is planned. Will try dig up some info when I get home.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I am interested in this pretty good now.

Here's to hoping they can deliver.

bowen on
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The whole of RIFTS to choose from, and they pick a fantasy MMO.

yawn.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The whole of RIFTS to choose from, and they pick a fantasy MMO.

yawn.

Too few sci-fi MMOs I agree, but the ones that are coming up look great, if not as great as what RIFT is shaping up as.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited July 2010
    Err.. wait - now that I've visited the website and read all the posts, can somebody tell me if this is or is not related to the pen-and-paper Rifts RPG?

I'm still confused.

Just Some Dude on
    edited July 2010
    I don't think so

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2010
    It's not related but I think a legal battle is still happening between the makers of the pen and paper rifts (palladium) against this company(trion).

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I find myself way more interested in fantasy mmo's just because I want to be a knight. Without the pooping and pissing in my armor aspect.

bowen on
    edited July 2010
    Man now I really want a techo-fantasy MMO set on post apocalypse earth. Power armor optional.

Just Some Dude on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A RIFTS MMO would be crazy and never actually get off the ground. Endless expansion material though.

captaink on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    A RIFTS MMO would be crazy and never actually get off the ground. Endless expansion material though.

I've been wanting that since the original EverQuest got me into MMOs like 11 years ago. I don't even like most of the expansion material, primarily due to the power creep (NGR/Triax, original sourcebook, and Mercenaries excepted), but just having a MMO set during the war between the CS and FoM would be awesome.

That said, I've never heard of RIFT before. I've never heard of this Hartsman before either, but if he's responsible for helping to turn EQ2 around, then this is definitely something to watch.

Developers interacting with players on the forum; talking about EQ . . . I'm having flashbacks to Abashi and The Vision.

s3rial one on
    edited July 2010
    Nice little video diary on massively about the class system, no real new information but explains progression a little and shows some game footage.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    New preview of the Gloamwood zone up on Rift-News.

A few pictures, bit of concept art, a small video and some background text on the areas in and around Gloamwood.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I really do hope they can deliver, looks like an amazing game that I'd like to play.

bowen on
    edited July 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I really do hope they can deliver, looks like an amazing game that I'd like to play.

Yeah it has much more of an old school RPG feel to it that I'm really digging and I reckon it could find a space in the market. It could hopefully be a successful Vanguard!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huh, looks interesting. This is the first I've seen of this game.

Though let me get this straight. There is really only 4 classes but they are highly customizable through picking what talent trees(Souls) you get and how you spend your points on said trees? I was really mainly hoping for more actual class mixing rather then just combining different talent trees within the same archetype. If I start out as a Warrior of some kind, it would be awesome if I could create my character how I see fit and say pick up a Mage soul to round out my melee abilities with some fireball flinging. But I imagine that would cause all kinds of balance headaches with people trying to come up with ultimate solo builds that can do everything.

Possibilities to make something like this work could include limiting players to one soul out of their original calling, so players can't do a Warrior/Cleric/Mage combo, but could say do two Warrior souls and a Cleric soul. Opening up the possibilities further then what you've already got. Another option is to have a selection of toned down souls that any calling could augment. Not quite as strong as the calling they would naturally belong to, but could be combined with other callings souls to round out their abilities and make more thematically interesting characters.

I don't know, this is just me thinking as I type. I really do like the idea of customizable classes though, it just remains to be seen how many options exactly we will have what with the spaces for 16 souls on the site, but interviews have stated they will have more then 16 souls available to choose from. Just how many more and how much variety there will be, I look forward to finding out. Its a cool system I just want to see as many options as they can reasonably implement and balance.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited July 2010
    It's an open system and you can mix any classes. The archetypes are just that and only decide your starting soul.

EDIT: no I'm wrong, the archetype/calling is locked. But there are 32 alleged souls so I do expect some decent variety even within a calling.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Seriously considering jumping on a plane to cologne next month to check out this and SWTOR.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    32 souls would make for quite a lot of variety with 8 souls per calling. Would love to see that be the case.

One thing I hope to see as far as available souls goes, is a good variety of pet classes. We've already got the Ranger with their animal companion for the Rogue calling, would love to see Mages get say a Necromancer or Demonologist type deal, even Warriors should get like a Warlord soul that leads their own small army.

Also, has there been any word on how large the world is supposed to be? Thats always been one of my biggest gripes with the majority of MMOs on the market. They feel too much like a theme park jam packed with things too close together instead of feeling like an actual world. My first MMO was Asheron's Call and it had a fantastic huge world. Since then only Vanguard has come close to the sense of exploration I got from wandering around the world of AC.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited July 2010
    I'm not too sure on the world size. There was a recent developer chat where they covered off one of the faction friendly areas that was said to have 12 main features/areas that each covered off around 1 hour of content. It's really hard to tell with MMO's until we get to play them.

Plus there is such mixed opinions on empty space versus lack of content.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Posted my first thread over on the Rift Forums regarding the stagnant nature of current MMO dungeon design and how its becomes an exercise in memorization and knowing what to pull when and what to skip to get to loot pinatas faster rather then taking the time to enjoy the dungeon experience. I really hope its early enough in development of PvE content to see some of my idea come to fruition.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure it is ever really early enough to heavily influence development unless you actually work for the company or they are actively seeking feedback on a particular issue.

I've tried spending some time on the official forums but well they are official forums so....

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is ever really early enough to heavily influence development unless you actually work for the company or they are actively seeking feedback on a particular issue.

I've tried spending some time on the official forums but well they are official forums so....

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I figure it can't hurt to at least put my ideas out there.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • HartsmanHartsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I figure it can't hurt to at least put my ideas out there.

Exactly. Some good suggestions in there, too. Thanks for posting that. :)

- Scott

Hartsman on
    edited August 2010
    Nice little interview with Scott up on MMORPG.com.

Wasn't lots of new information but some cool things hinted at, such as the pvp balancing, rewards for explorers and different ways of acquiring new souls.

I quite like the sound of crafting leading to new souls instead of having them all combat based. Cultures tend to have renowned artisans as well as warriors so a way to link to their dead souls as well would make sense.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.