As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    Vista's failure was that to the end user it appeared to offer basically nothing over XP, but it was enough of a resource hog that on the budget PCs it was sold on it would spend most of its time hanging or crashing.

iPhone 4's problem is that it has a design flaw.

Vista was a resource hog on any machine really. You shouldn't have to have 4 gigs of ram just to run the fucking OS on its own. (Yes I'm being a little hyperbolic, but I am continually astounded how much ram Vista hogs up on my laptop with 2gigs of memory.)

I am very keen on seeing what they do at the press conference. This is like the first time in years Apple has lost control of the media surrounding their products.
    Please see my post above about SuperFetch.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    Am I the only prospective iPhone customer that's glad they switched to an external/structural antenna? I'll gladly take better reception in exchange for attenuation when bridging that gap. It'll end up in a case anyway.

And another thumbs up to hot corners + passworded screensaver. Whenever I leave my office at work, it's nice being able to just swipe the mouse in a corner as I get up, locking my station. Win + L is what I do on Windows machines. It's nice, but just a little bit less slick.

A lot of iphone users dislike the case because it hides the asthetics of the phone, I know my users are like this. So it rapidly becomes an issue.

Though I've had a ton of fun pointing out to them that apple does fail and using this to start shifting apple products out of our company. :mrgreen:

nstf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Though I've had a ton of fun pointing out to them that apple does fail and using this to start shifting apple products out of our company. :mrgreen:
    I assume you've begun shifting Windows products, Dell products, HP products, IBM products and any *NIX products out of your company as well then?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only prospective iPhone customer that's glad they switched to an external/structural antenna? I'll gladly take better reception in exchange for attenuation when bridging that gap. It'll end up in a case anyway.

And another thumbs up to hot corners + passworded screensaver. Whenever I leave my office at work, it's nice being able to just swipe the mouse in a corner as I get up, locking my station. Win + L is what I do on Windows machines. It's nice, but just a little bit less slick.

Its slick and also very very annoying when it accidentally comes up when you don't intend it to. I would rather have the hot key than something that is pretty but I need to disable because it behaves incorrectly sometimes.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010

Its slick and also very very annoying when it accidentally comes up when you don't intend it to. I would rather have the hot key than something that is pretty but I need to disable because it behaves incorrectly sometimes.

I find I am never accidentally in the bottom right of my Mac screen.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't it... extremely easy to set the Mac screensaver to a hotkey rather than a hot corner?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Isn't it... extremely easy to set the Mac screensaver to a hotkey rather than a hot corner?

Hotcorners and keyboard shortcuts are all configurable in the OS, without the need for 3rd party software.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes it is easy to change but my point being that it is an annoying default.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

Hotcorners and keyboard shortcuts are all configurable in the OS, without the need for 3rd party software.
    Lets pretend this is a support forum for a moment. :wink:

I can set system-level hotkeys? How did I miss that? Like, in Windows I use Win+E all the time (Win+L too) to open a new Explorer window. Can I do the same for the Finder?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I can set system-level hotkeys? How did I miss that? Like, in Windows I use Win+E all the time (Win+L too) to open a new Explorer window. Can I do the same for the Finder?

In your shortcut preferences. Somewhere in Preferences, under keyboard. You can basically assign shortcuts to any menu item, if I recall.

In any case, when you're in the finder, just hit Cmd+N for a new finder window. No, this isn't a global shortcut. The Mac simply doesn't work that way.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    It's not their vista YET. Given time, we'll see.

There was nothing wrong with Vista on a non-tech user level. Technical issues arden't what matter in the comparison, it's the public perception

Honestly, the only problem with vista is that they designed it to last for years, but forgot to think about what people need now (they sized it so that it would work on computers coming out today). The iPhone just plain isn't capable of performing its titular purpose.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Opt-cmd-Space

No need to set one, its already there.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

A lot of iphone users dislike the case because it hides the asthetics of the phone, I know my users are like this. So it rapidly becomes an issue.

I kinda agree with enc0re - I like the design and was always going to use a case anyways. It's still a silly thing to miss in development, and says a lot about apple's design philosophy. I haven't lost any calls yet (only made about a dozen though), but I made them all from areas that had good reception with my old phone. I can reproduce the 5 bars -> no signal at work using the grip of death, but when I make a call from there it seems fine... The readout drops to 2-3 bars while holding it for the call.

I need to find a decent case for this thing regardless of the antenna fiasco, it seems designed to attract fingerprints and I'm worried about scratching the glass (used for both the top and bottom).

Spackler on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In any case, when you're in the finder, just hit Cmd+N for a new finder window. No, this isn't a global shortcut. The Mac simply doesn't work that way.
    Yeah, not interested in that. I don't want to have to open the window I want in order to open the window I want. :P
    Opt-cmd-Space

Well, that's kind of what I want, only I want it to open the default Finder window, and not a spotlight window. Seems like I do need a 3rd party app for this. :(

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    Vista's failure was that to the end user it appeared to offer basically nothing over XP, but it was enough of a resource hog that on the budget PCs it was sold on it would spend most of its time hanging or crashing.

iPhone 4's problem is that it has a design flaw.

Vista was a resource hog on any machine really. You shouldn't have to have 4 gigs of ram just to run the fucking OS on its own. (Yes I'm being a little hyperbolic, but I am continually astounded how much ram Vista hogs up on my laptop with 2gigs of memory.)

I am very keen on seeing what they do at the press conference. This is like the first time in years Apple has lost control of the media surrounding their products.
    Please see my post above about SuperFetch.

You'd think that they could have put in a superfetch default to use unused capacity on finding a better malaria cure or something.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    pfft, that's just a tax dodge for Bill, Scalfin. :wink:
    Disclaimer: Mr Gates does a lot of good through his charitable contributions, and I wish to take nothing away from his work in that capacity.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spackler wrote: »

I kinda agree with enc0re - I like the design and was always going to use a case anyways. It's still a silly thing to miss in development, and says a lot about apple's design philosophy. I haven't lost any calls yet (only made about a dozen though), but I made them all from areas that had good reception with my old phone. I can reproduce the 5 bars -> no signal at work using the grip of death, but when I make a call from there it seems fine... The readout drops to 2-3 bars while holding it for the call.

I need to find a decent case for this thing regardless of the antenna fiasco, it seems designed to attract fingerprints and I'm worried about scratching the glass (used for both the top and bottom).

Apparently, one big problem is that the worst position for the hand in terms of antenna problems is how everyone holds a phone in his left hand.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

In your shortcut preferences. Somewhere in Preferences, under keyboard. You can basically assign shortcuts to any menu item, if I recall.

Okay, so how do I use control-c outside of micOffice programs?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You *might* be able to reassign that app by app, but I'm not going to find out. Just in case it makes something go borkbork.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Plus, command is a much better placed button for keyboard shortcuts than control; not needing to stretch from your pinky is a good thing.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Mac OS has always had wonderful copy/paste. The global shortcuts are CMD + X/C/V. Where do you think Microsoft got their shortcut conventions from?

enc0re on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, not interested in that. I don't want to have to open the window I want in order to open the window I want. :P
    Opt-cmd-Space

Well, that's kind of what I want, only I want it to open the default Finder window, and not a spotlight window. Seems like I do need a 3rd party app for this. :(

Go grab Quicksilver, which you should have anyways because it's made of winolium.

yalborap on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xerox

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    Go grab Quicksilver, which you should have anyways because it's made of winolium.
    I dunno what's up with QS, but it doesn't work for me anymore. Just locks up and won't do anything. I use launchbar now. Which is OK. I had to pay for it, and it doesn't feel like it does as much as QS did, but if QS won't work whatcha gonna do?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    I dunno what's up with QS, but it doesn't work for me anymore. Just locks up and won't do anything. I use launchbar now. Which is OK. I had to pay for it, and it doesn't feel like it does as much as QS did, but if QS won't work whatcha gonna do?

there was a problem with a certain QS build and snow leopard a couple months back, i remember i had to update or use a beta version or something to get around the issues i was having with it.

ronzo on
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xerox

LOL

Can't wait to hear what they say tomorrow.

I have a 3gs so I'm inclined to wait until next year, when this is hopefully all sorted out. Though I'll probably look at the Android phones at that time as well.

Arlington on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Mac OS has always had wonderful copy/paste. The global shortcuts are CMD + X/C/V. Where do you think Microsoft got their shortcut conventions from?

Is that what the apple key is called?

I've always been fine with the control button because I type with my left while either hold the mouse of supporting my head with my right.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I've always been fine with the control button because I type with my left while either hold the mouse of supporting my head with my right.

There hasn't been an apple key for many many years.

The command key, which also has a cloverleaf-like "point of interest symbol" replaced the Apple when Mac OS came out in 1984. The Apple was printed on the keyboard for a while anyways, but was dropped in the early 2000s.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

There hasn't been an apple key for many many years.

The command key, which also has a cloverleaf-like "point of interest symbol" replaced the Apple when Mac OS came out in 1984. The Apple was printed on the keyboard for a while anyways, but was dropped in the early 2000s.

it was dropped on the newest keyboards and the unibodies

I'm rocking a 2007 blackbook with the apple right on the key

ronzo on
  • Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arlington wrote: »
    Xerox

LOL

"They" will say he's wrong. Note that the discussion was about SHORTCUT conventions, not who invented copy/ paste (which was indeed Xerox). The idea of mapping a modifier key (such as the Apple key) with Z, X, C, V for the respective functions is 100% Apple.

From Cybernet News' history of Cut/ Copy/ Paste

"In 1981 Apple made “cut and paste” popular with the release of Lisa, which was a computer with a graphical interface. It was Apple who standardized the keyboard shortcuts, which at the time were the modifier key + X for cutting, C for copying, and V for pasting. Microsoft later adopted it into Windows with nearly identical key combinations."

Kongo on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kongo wrote: »
    Arlington wrote: »
    Xerox

LOL

"They" will say he's wrong. Note that the discussion was about SHORTCUT conventions, not who invented copy/ paste (which was indeed Xerox). The idea of mapping a modifier key (such as the Apple key) with Z, X, C, V for the respective functions is 100% Apple.

From Cybernet News' history of Cut/ Copy/ Paste

"In 1981 Apple made “cut and paste” popular with the release of Lisa, which was a computer with a graphical interface. It was Apple who standardized the keyboard shortcuts, which at the time were the modifier key + X for cutting, C for copying, and V for pasting. Microsoft later adopted it into Windows with nearly identical key combinations."

Kongo, I don't think that they are going to say anything at all about copy/paste tomorrow. They've confirmed that the press conference will be about the iPhone.

As far as your knee-jerk defensiveness goes, though, my point was more that everyone stole everything from everyone else in the early days. Going after Microsoft for stealing a couple of hot-keys is fanboyism at its basest level.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kongo, I don't think that they are going to say anything at all about copy/paste tomorrow. They've confirmed that the press conference will be about the iPhone.

Now, now, don't get your panties in a twist. I seriously don't think Apple is gonna address copy/ paste-- or comments about it in an online forum either (thus my use of quotation marks around "they"). I though it was a fairly obvious joke. Apparently, it wasn't so obvious. (sigh) My fault for not being clear, so hey, no big whoop.

But then this...
    As far as your knee-jerk defensiveness goes, though, my point was more that everyone stole everything from everyone else in the early days. Going after Microsoft for stealing a couple of hot-keys is fanboyism at its basest level.

Well, you sure told me! Because after all, if you do a knee-jerk response that everything Apple does was stolen from Xerox, that's A-OK. But if I have some fun and say that no, keyboard shortcuts were in fact, Apple's idea (while acknowledging that copy/paste was Xerox's) and MS did steal it from them... well, I'm just a fanboy. Gotcha. :zzz:

Kongo on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who cares about interface systems, they stole our key layouts!

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuckers stole our alphabet.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fuckers stole our alphabet.
    There's some ancient Greek dude behind you looking like he'd like a word.

There's also someone behind him, but that's too much for me to follow.
    This has been a horrible, very unclear joke about English having stolen/stolen from the Greek alphabet. Brought to you by iTIE! It's the only kind of joke I have.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The thing that's kinda weird is that before MS decided to use Apple's keyboard shortcuts, they were using IBM's OS/2 shortcuts (ctrl, insert, del). Then later, they went with Apple's. I'm still amazed they didn't go with something more obvious like control-P for Paste at least (one assumes you would use this more often in daily use than for printing) and control-U for Undo (again, the idea of the amount of usage). It was the early days, what would have stopped them? :lol:

And yeah, MS swiping the GUI is annoying (Apple did, at least, hire a bunch of PARC engineers, and gave Xerox a lot of stock in exchange for the interface idea, which Xerox made major bank on). But I actually chuckle out loud sometimes thinking about how MS even had to copy the shortcuts, of all things. I'm smiling even as I type this at the silliness of it.

What's sad is that I'm old enough to remember these goofy early days and will stop before this gets any more boring... D:

Kongo on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You're amazed that they went with a single hand shortcuts instead of "more obvious" ones that would need both hands to execute?

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How exactly is control-P any less one-handed to perform than control-V?

EDIT: I mean, it's the same distance from the right side control and P as it is to the left side control and V. So really, why did they decide to adopt Apple's control-V for paste? Do people print more often than they paste?
    WOB%20Keyboard.png

Kongo on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kongo wrote: »
    How exactly is control-P any less one-handed to perform than control-V?

I guess he's thinking because you have your right hand on the mouse.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fair point. Although it still wouldn't be hard to simply shift your left hand over to the right to do said control combo while using the mouse. I know the Apple set-up is most logical, I just think it's weird that MS didn't try to go their own way on this to show how "different" they were (hell, what was stopping them from using q,w,e,r or some silliness?). Geez, the discussions that turn up while waiting for an official announcement (I know I'm the biggest offender here)... :P

Kongo on