As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Omegathon - OMEGANAUTS MAKE YOURSELVES KNOWN!

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ugh, I'm worried about this (you know, on that small chance my number is picked). I work in a metal building, and get ZERO cell reception all day. Oh well, I'm still going to PAX so I still win, right?

Vanus on
  • Options
    ChiisaiakaiChiisaiakai Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I personally wouldn’t mind seeing:

Video Games
    SingStar (Rock Band is getting old)
    Buzz! (This could be an interesting addition)
    Team matches with Call of Duty “World at War” Zombie’s mode
    Tetris

Board Games
    Chess
    Scrabble
    Risk
    Cranium
    Scene It (General Movies)

Chiisaiakai on
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well look who decided to stop lurking in record time! ;)<3

While we'd love SingStar, not everyone's into karaoke, love. I think that's why Rock Band of one kind or another is used every year, to give the variety of the other instruments. Tetris was the final round one year I think. Zombies would be funny, especially after listening to you and the guys play. Of course, no one could trust you not to accidentally electrocute them. :p

The board games you listed are fun, but I don't know how fun to watch. As frustrating as Jenga is, at least it has some suspense to it. :p Also, Cranium is no good, considering the number of penises (penii?) being sent through Pictochat throughout PAX, I'm sure the Cranium clay would be molded to nefarious designs. ;)

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    I think the tabletop round should be Zombie Dice

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I have not heard of Zombie Dice before now. Looks fun to me, but I'm going to preempt Brian's auto-anti-SJG response. Ever since Munchkin's constantly fluctuating rules he's had a bad taste in his mouth. Also, he loses more often than I do, and I suck at Munchkin.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There was a PATV episode that featured Mike and Jerry playing Zombie dice. I also heard a lot of good things about it at PAX East, but didn't manage to make it to the booth selling it before they ran out.

If any PAX tabletop vendors are watching this: BRING LOTS OF COPIES OF ZOMBIE DICE

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There was a PATV episode that featured Mike and Jerry playing Zombie dice. I also heard a lot of good things about it at PAX East, but didn't manage to make it to the booth selling it before they ran out.

If any PAX tabletop vendors are watching this: BRING LOTS OF COPIES OF ZOMBIE DICE

That was the first PATV I saw and even I was interested in Zombie Dice and I don't like dice games, for the most part.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The big appeal for it as an Omegathon round is that it's fast. The problem with some games (like jenga) is that they take forever.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Absolutely. I seem to remember Mike and Jerry finishing their game relatively quickly and commenting on the fact that it was, indeed, a fast game.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skee ball for the omegathon last year got me thinking of other old school arcade games and I think Foos ball or air hockey could be cool.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whack-A-Mole...but with samurai swords.

Then the Omeganauts can be bum-rushed by zombies?

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    ChiisaiakaiChiisaiakai Registered User new member
    edited July 2010

I have not heard of Zombie Dice before now. Looks fun to me, but I'm going to preempt Brian's auto-anti-SJG response. Ever since Munchkin's constantly fluctuating rules he's had a bad taste in his mouth. Also, he loses more often than I do, and I suck at Munchkin.

…I have only played Munchkin once, and I won that game I might add. I hate it because the rules change while you play it, and that obnoxious rule that basically says the owner of the game can settle rule disputes as he/she sees fit. Playing this game in our gaming group can be devastating if you are not aligned with the forces of Winyder and Brenna… :x

Chiisaiakai on
  • Options
    cove_kidcove_kid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

…I have only played Munchkin once, and I won that game I might add. I hate it because the rules change while you play it, and that obnoxious rule that basically says the owner of the game can settle rule disputes as he/she sees fit. Playing this game in our gaming group can be devastating if you are not aligned with the forces of Winyder and Brenna… :x

I don't think you are in the right gaming group if arguments going to the level of constantly using the "owner wins" rule are occurring. Of course when playing Munchkin with my group of friends, we also play the "Cheating is allowed if you aren't caught" rule listed in the manual.

Zombie dice would be an excellent choice for a round, as long as it wasn't one-and-done. Liar's Dice would be another fun dice game, but maybe not for those watching it.

cove_kid on
    PAX East 2010 Omeganaut
    Team 16: Guitarist for The Clap Trap
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cove_kid wrote: »

I don't think you are in the right gaming group if arguments going to the level of constantly using the "owner wins" rule are occurring. Of course when playing Munchkin with my group of friends, we also play the "Cheating is allowed if you aren't caught" rule listed in the manual.

Zombie dice would be an excellent choice for a round, as long as it wasn't one-and-done. Liar's Dice would be another fun dice game, but maybe not for those watching it.

Haha, that's the thing: it never got to the point of Winyder using the rule, except as an example of the rule. We were showing Brian how to play, and when we got to that rule he got pissed. Winyder said something to the effect of, "well, since they're my cards, I say that rule is in effect when we play. If you get your own cards, you can say the rule isn't valid". Brian's hated Munchkin ever since. :p

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    HyruleanTubistHyruleanTubist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So who's ready for another day of checking your phone every two minutes? I know I am. Here's to hoping for a phone call today!

HyruleanTubist on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a former omegafailanaut, I can say that even failing at round one is awesome. The line jumping for everything makes it worth it. Ask asiina how jumping to the front of the queue line was, we passed by vthorn and jonxp handing out cookies looking all confused at us.

Also, spelling rape while playing bookworm adventures was great, I typed it out and I heard all the people behind me laughing.

deveric on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The big appeal for it as an Omegathon round is that it's fast. The problem with some games (like jenga) is that they take forever.
    The big problem with Zombie Dice as an Omegathon round would be that is is so heavily based on luck.

Yes, Zombie Dice has more strategy than the average dice game in that you can do some quick running of the odds based on what color dice are left in the tube, but this does not give the best player much of a leg up. The game is still majorly decided by "did you roll a brain?"

Zombie Dice is fantastic as far as dice games go. I could not think of a better one to bring and play in line at PAX. I don't want to see a quality Omeganaught get bumped out though just because they kept rolling shotguns.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So who's ready for another day of checking your phone every two minutes? I know I am. Here's to hoping for a phone call today!

Ditto to that sir!

Nope on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You don't have to check it every two minutes if it's on full volume & vibrate and attached to your body at all times. Thank god work understands my insanity. :p
    deveric wrote: »
    As a former omegafailanaut, I can say that even failing at round one is awesome. The line jumping for everything makes it worth it. Ask asiina how jumping to the front of the queue line was, we passed by vthorn and jonxp handing out cookies looking all confused at us.

Also, spelling rape while playing bookworm adventures was great, I typed it out and I heard all the people behind me laughing.

I have to say, while I would try my best if I were picked, I far from expect to make it all the way through to the end. I'm just that bad at FPS of any kind, so even if I made it to lady killer I'd almost definitely go out there. If I were picked and made it to Boom Blox (assuming they continue with Boom Blox) well, I'm pretty awesome at that and would definitely be beaten then because just like at home, I'll get teamed up on. I just want the chance, since it's not my first PAX. A first-PAX Omeganaut would actually kind of suck, since you have to stick to the schedule and not just roam at will.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to say, while I would try my best if I were picked, I far from expect to make it all the way through to the end. I'm just that bad at FPS of any kind, so even if I made it to lady killer I'd almost definitely go out there. If I were picked and made it to Boom Blox (assuming they continue with Boom Blox) well, I'm pretty awesome at that and would definitely be beaten then because just like at home, I'll get teamed up on. I just want the chance, since it's not my first PAX. A first-PAX Omeganaut would actually kind of suck, since you have to stick to the schedule and not just roam at will.

Here is the big misconception. Everyone kept telling me "OH MAN, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY FREE TIME AT ALL, SUX2BU", but I digress. I had TONS of free time. Granted I failed out at round 2, but I had plenty of time between those two. If you look at last years schedule, Round 1 was at start of PAX (like 9 or 10am), and round two was at 4pm. Rounds lasted about an hour, give or take some. That meant between 11 and 3:45ish, I was free. And if I made it to round three, it was at 10am the following day. Once again, free from 5pm until the next morning.

That's my 2 cents on that piece, so I completely argue against anyone that says you are so busy all the time.

deveric on
  • Options
    WinyderWinyder Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Instead of Zombie Dice, I'd much rather see a game of Cthulu Dice.

But if there were a quick-game version of Munchkin included in the Omegathon, that would be awesome ( and devestating ).

Winyder on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I agree, there's plenty of time to do stuff, even when you'er an omeganaut. My friend was one at PAX East and we still had plenty of time to do everything we wanted. Heck, some of the most fun and excitement I had was going to the omegathon and watching the competition, and I wasn't even in it! Don't worry about the time, for sure.

HyruleanTubist on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    deveric wrote: »

Here is the big misconception. Everyone kept telling me "OH MAN, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY FREE TIME AT ALL, SUX2BU", but I digress. I had TONS of free time. Granted I failed out at round 2, but I had plenty of time between those two. If you look at last years schedule, Round 1 was at start of PAX (like 9 or 10am), and round two was at 4pm. Rounds lasted about an hour, give or take some. That meant between 11 and 3:45ish, I was free. And if I made it to round three, it was at 10am the following day. Once again, free from 5pm until the next morning.

That's my 2 cents on that piece, so I completely argue against anyone that says you are so busy all the time.

I just know it was hard enough to make plans to see all the rounds in 08, so I can't imagine having to be to each round early and still have time for other things. At least, not for people who want to get into panels as well. The expo hall wouldn't be a problem at all either way.

Edit: So..... TODAY. Either that, or Khoo is a terrible tease that enjoys causing us pain. Anticipation sucks. :p

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Edit: So..... TODAY. Either that, or Khoo is a terrible tease that enjoys causing us pain. Anticipation sucks. :p

*looks at watch*.....yep

Nope on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My guess is they decided to push it back a week because 3-day passes were almost sold out. If memory serves correctly, they tend to call over the course of three Pacific time mornings in the middle of the week. So, unless there's an announcement to prove me wrong (has been known to happen), I would say people can stop stalking their phones for the day.

[tiny]Disclaimer: If you stop stalking your phone and miss the call, Moe Fwacky is not to be held responsible. [/tiny]

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would challenge someone to play an Unreal Tournament with a laptop trackpad and no mouse...

...through OnLive.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My guess is they decided to push it back a week because 3-day passes were almost sold out. If memory serves correctly, they tend to call over the course of three Pacific time mornings in the middle of the week. So, unless there's an announcement to prove me wrong (has been known to happen), I would say people can stop stalking their phones for the day.

[tiny]Disclaimer: If you stop stalking your phone and miss the call, Moe Fwacky is not to be held responsible. [/tiny]

Yeah, I started to guess that might be the case late on Wednesday, then was fairly certain by yesterday with all the almost-sold-out and finally-sold-out announcements. And unless there's an announcement otherwise stating they are pushing it back, I'm going to be just as neurotic today about my phone as the rest of this week, if not more so. :p

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Any idea if they are devious enough to call on the weekend? I'll still be stalking my phone, my paranoia knows no bounds.

[tiny] I see what you did there [/tiny]

HyruleanTubist on
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Winyder wrote: »
    Instead of Zombie Dice, I'd much rather see a game of Cthulu Dice.

But if there were a quick-game version of Munchkin included in the Omegathon, that would be awesome ( and devestating ).

CD would just be BRUTAL. There is no strategy. its all rolling a really cool D12.

Zombie Dice would be fun, because there is that point of strategy.

Munchkin I think we'd end up with Table Flipping rules. Though I'm sure there will be a few people you could bring in for Judging from the SJ Games group. (MIB, Staff, etc).

Could always do randomly assigned warhammer too :)

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As for an on topic post, I think something like chess would be difficult for spectators unless it were played in Blitz format, on a timer. To further that idea, I'll toss out the idea of Crazy House. Its a 2v2 format, where both games are played simultaneously, each member a different color. What gets "crazy" is, when one player captures an opponent's piece, that piece is passed to his partner and can be deployed on his board, rather than moving a piece of his own. So, if queens trade, those queens are passed to each teammate's partner, and can then be placed on that board. The game is over when one king is checkmated, so if one player loses, the team loses. The only rule is pawn's can be placed on your opponent's back row, so they auto-promote. That's always a blast to play with my friends, anyway.

HyruleanTubist on
  • Options
    ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they really wanted to make the Omegathon take forever, they could make Dwarven Fortress the first round. =)

ky13 on
    Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just make the entire Omegathon Desert Bus.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have an idea, what if the first round was a game of Assassins?

The 32 are given information and a picture of their target, and they are required to wander the halls of the convention center until there are 16 people left in the game. Its not spectator friendly, though, but would be really really fun if you were an omeganaut. If the convention center has TVs located around, they can display who is still left alive of the 32 omeganauts. And of course omeganauts would be wearing something ridiculous to target them, such as a lazer tag outfit or something. Any thoughts on that?

HyruleanTubist on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, there are only 20 Omeganauts.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, really? Well, same thing, though. (PAX East was my first PAX so I don't know any better). It probably wouldn't work, just a fun idea to think about.

HyruleanTubist on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And I am one of them! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, damn, I guess I was wrong about them waiting until next week.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    contrefait wrote: »

And I am one of them! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Congrats Contre!

*looks at phone* ring dammit!

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Congrats Contre!!!

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JonnyNero on
This discussion has been closed.