As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D]Only in Dreams - Act I: Dream Country

FaranguFarangu I am a beardy manWith a beardy planRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
Only in dreams, we see what it means
But when we wake, its' all been erased,
And so it seems, only in dreams

"The land of Dol-Makar is your home. Your two kings rule it fairly. It is a vast land, home to deep oceans, craggy mountains and verdant forests. It holds vast opportunity, dangers and treasures. There are feuds with neighboring kingdoms, the Iron States, that need solving. This year's harvest has been underwhelming; there is talk of rationing. Large problems, that need serious people to solve them.

But we should be clear about one thing. You are not one of this land's heroes.

You are a shit shoveler. Peasant. Strictly working class.

Sure, you dream big. Who doesn't? You daydream about being a member of the nobility, solving important problems and hobknobbing, only to be rudely shaken out of it by your next customer. You spend your nights dreaming about what life would be like if you had drawn a different lot...if you were one of the few who actually had power. What your life would be like..."

Here's a map of the setting:
Varisia.jpg

The party:

gwynlai.pngGwyn-Lai, Genasi Monk (played by Rainfall)

laineth.pngLaineth The Free, Half-Elf Battlemind (played by delroland)

feathered.pngThe Feathered Maiden of Riddleport, Human Rogue (played by interroband)

aemille.pngAemille the Nine Lives, Human Bard (played by astrobstrd)

nimaran.pngNimaran, Gnomish Wizard (played by Zaximus)

Farangu on

• Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Totally gonna apply to this.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    KamikazeCommunistKamikazeCommunist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Totally gonna apply to this.

Likewise

KamikazeCommunist on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So would we be peasants dreaming of being heroes... or heroes dreaming of being peasants?

DUN DUN DUN!!

I assume our peasant submission wouldn't actually be statted out, then?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not really. If it came down to it, I'd make up some stats for an average schmuck, but ideally you'd never get into a situation like that as your peasant self.

Ideally.

Farangu on
  • Options
    KorsahnKorsahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Would love to apply, though not got the ability to use character builder, unless I can make a text document and send that to you?

Korsahn on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love the concept! And I have just the submission to tweak for this one.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm highly interested as well, and have a couple concepts in mind

lodwilk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That'd be fine Korsahn. When it's done, send it to the email address that I will PM you momentarily.

Farangu on
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    definatly in on this shame that the other game died out :(

also love that you posted a map, that makes backstory worlds easier since you dont have to make grand assumptions about the landscape.

EDIT: where on the map are we starting btw?

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds really cool. I will try to make a submission after work.

Edit: What would be level appropriate gold?

licwidcake on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What is allowed/not allowed? What about races and classes? How prevealent are the different kind of races?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Beings from other planes have been known to make incursions from time to time, but usually shardminds, gith and the planehoppers are not seen too often in these parts. Meaning that if you want to roll one up, that's fine, you'll just have to write a little more for it to make sense. The rest of the races are about equal. Humans, elves and eladrin make up the bulk of the population in the southwest. Few settlements in the north means that dwarves are nomads for the most part, with a small number settling in the greenlands.

Other than that, nothing's really verboten.

Woog: You'll be starting in either Whistledown or Illsurian, your choice. Also, as I said, you don't need to know the other party members right away, so keep that in mind as you create.

Farangu on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Squints wrote: »
    I will be following this. Since I just got into Worldship, I will not apply. But you all have my support!

Same here. Will be fun to watch though!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sweet, how do you want us to roll up our non-dream characters, just give you some fluff and no stat block?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yea, just write up what they do to scrape up a living, where they're at, what they want to do, what they dream they are. The more in-depth you go, the less you'll have to make up on the spot when you're RP-ing as them.

Cake - 3rd level chars start with 520 gold.

Farangu on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spkVX8z-vs&feature=related

:)

I'm already playing in too many games so I shan't be submitting for this one, but it certainly sounds like a fun one to watch. Good luck all!

PS - Farangu: Where do you get those maps?

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And susan gets the shiny star. I love that this place can turn my random drunk thoughts about songs into game material. :D

Also I just do a GIS for fantasy maps or D&D maps, usually I find a nice looking effort fairly quickly

Farangu on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah that is the pathfinder campaign map. I happen to be playing in that very campaign right now. :P

Here is a quick thing I wrote out for Naell the Deaf, I'll have some stats later today (and hopefully flesh out the whole deaf part).
    Naell plucked at the four strings remaining on his seven string lute. The others had broken months ago, and he feared it wouldn't be long for the rest to follow.

His clothes were in tatters and he sat in the alley behind The Purple Daggoth Inn in the port city of Sandpoint. He had learned long ago not to play on the main road, where he had earned his fair share of kicks to the teeth.

Every day Naell started by looking for work. Sometimes the local tanner would allow him to help with the scouring of flesh and fat on the leathers, the butcher would let him dispose of intestines and other unsavories. But the young man had a significant disadvantage; he was deaf.

Once a smart, imposing young man of academia and music, Naell's life was turned around through the same tragedy in which he lost his hearing.

And so now, in the midst of winter, on the cusp of his 18th birthday, Naell played what he could remember of the ballads and ditties, of the symphonys and epics. But as he lost strings, the playing of songs by memory of string plucking became more of a guessing game, the same game which caused what once were pitying smiles and a spare copper, to turn to annoyed grimaces and a mouthed curse.

When Naell could no longer endure the sharp looks and hurtful glares, he began to close his eyes while he played. His day-dreaming took him to a place where those same cruel passerby's turned to look at Naell, smile and clap, he envisioned them taking time out of their day to stay and listen. Eventually a crowd formed and Naell could hear the music, the complicated songs he longed to play as a child, could hear the sharp *CLINK* of silver as coins were thrown at his feat. And now he was playing inside the Purple Daggoth Inn, with a stage and nice clothes. For the first time in years he felt himself smiling, and then in the corner of the Inn he saw the Baron, the same noble who took everything from him. He smiled at Naell right as the bards own smile faded.*CLINK*

Naell opened his eyes hoping to find a coin. Instead he found himself with a three stringed lute in the middle of winter, on the cusp of his 18th birthday.

"Fuck."

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Chaos you have hit the nail on the head

A thousand ducats to you

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nice first app for this one foolish chaos!

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That app made me really sad, actually.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Which is the point

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    im giving the homeless guy by my house a buck on the way home...

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have some (hopefully) good ideas stewing for this! I'll hopefully be posting my entry later tonight. Sounds like a neat concept!

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blue dot for now. I need to work a concept later tonight.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamn but I like this idea. Tragic and awesome at the same time. I'll whip up an app today, if I don't get called into work. I really, really like this.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played in a really fun Rifts campaign in highschool where we all started out as ourselves. Made up our own stats and everything. The best part was a new DM, so EVERYONE could play a character instead of someone having to shoulder running it.

It was a dreamworld/real world parallel type game, which I won't go into in case this game has similar ideas, however the campaign took a turn for the bizarro when the DM (who none of us knew beyond acquaintence) started having sadistic stuff happen to our "real" family members.....murders...rapes, in entirely more detail then should ever be gone into.

Dude was creepy.

needless to say we never returned to that guy.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Uh...damn that is creepy.

But Snowdown do you think you could pm me the kinds of paralells and goals this guy did? Can't hurt to hear more ideas that I might use later.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Which of our starting towns has the most rich people? I've got another sad story to tell :)

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    KamikazeCommunistKamikazeCommunist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, got a couple ideas in my head. Still have to work on the back story a bit, but right now my two applications are:

First there is Thordain, the Dwarven Barbarian
    Homeless drunkard who practically lives at the bar. A homeless beggar on the streets during the day, and a drunk who spends all he's panhandled on alcohol at night. In dreams however, he dreams of being a legendary dwarven berserker.

And secondly, we have Owen, the Human Paladin
    While not in dream land, Owen is a horribly mistreated and abused servant to a well known wealthy family. He is often beaten for his mistakes, and lives off what little scraps of food he is given. But, in dream he is a glorious paladin, renowned throughout the land! Rescuing those in need and smiting evil doers and bringing them to justice!

Like I said, I still have work to do on their back story. Fortunately I have the basic framework in place so I just have some fine tuning to do. I've played a lot more 3.5E/Pathfinder than I have 4E, so if these are a little off just let me know.

KamikazeCommunist on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm I'm thinking of making a Revenant Vestige pact warlock, who's vestiges will actually be friends of his from the real world. Would that be ok?

lodwilk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i have both of mine in the works already, assasin is almost done, and im thinking beastmaster ranger who has some mutt or scraggly pet that he dreams is great along with him, i think it could be fun.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nah, revenants don't really seem to fit the theme that I'm going for here. You can make it, sure, but you'd have to weave a pretty damn good story.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yay double post woo

Farangu on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Farangu, you watched Inception, didn't you?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question: Did you grab that map from somewhere, or did you use a piece of software to build it yourself? If the latter, what software did you use?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No, I haven't yet. Likely won't catch it while it's in theaters, considering that I'm almost bankrupt right now and that's not looking to change anytime soon

Ender I grabbed the map from a GIS

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Was the Warforged ok? Or should I look at adjusting him to another race?

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The warforged can stay, but I wouldn't go with a more far-out race than that.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    The warforged can stay, but I wouldn't go with a more far-out race than that.

Thanks, and I'm not totally tied down to the official Warforged lore. As long as a "mechanical man" can exists, I'm fine with whatever lore you want to throw at him to tie it into the world. If you have anything specific, please PM me, and I'll see about working it into his character a bit more.

ironzerg on