As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are you aware that [Predators] is getting decent reviews?

167891012»

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, I got the idea that the alien spiky dogs weren't the Predator's pets, I think they may have just been another alien dropped there by this Pred clan as something else to hunt. Take for example, I don't need to have dogs as pets for the dog whistle I blow to have an effect on the dogs hearing it. This could also fit with why there was what looked like a skinned, hung spiky dog in the Pred camp/shrine.

There were definitely a few dogs hanging around the Predators in one of the shots of all the Preds posing together in their camp. There still could have been other, untamed dogs running about the planet, though.

BloodySloth on
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xenomorphs
    Was that a xenomorph skull on a stick in the fire at the predator camp?

Glad I wasn't the only person who saw that.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't xenomorphs have an exoskeleton?

Are they meant to have both an endo- and an exo- skeleton?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't know about the rest of their body, but they definitely have a skull, you can see it through the translucent parts of their head.

072208alien01.jpg

Glal on
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel like these criticisms are still missing the mark. The Pred vs. Pred thing isn't a loose end, it's central to the climax of the movie. Sure we could have had a huge Predator civil war in the movie but that's completely unnecessary and doesn't fit with the idea of the setting being a planetary hunt. The three Predators are there not just to hunt humans but to hunt whatever else they brought to the planet. We know that in addition to our human characters the three big bad guys were hunting at least one other Predator, along with any number of those gray humanoid things and whatever those skinned corpses at the camp were (wild Pred-dogs?).

Right but then why introduce the idea of a blood feud in the first place? I'm saying it's better to go in one direction or the other rather than doing it all half-assed. Why were they hunting the other predator? Were there others? It's never shown or explained. If that's how they're going to play it, might as well have just had three classic predators as the main antagonists and left out the super predator angle altogether.

Glyph on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's just because they wanted to have a reason to make a predator side with the humans for a moment--it was a plot device, through and through.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »
    I feel like these criticisms are still missing the mark. The Pred vs. Pred thing isn't a loose end, it's central to the climax of the movie. Sure we could have had a huge Predator civil war in the movie but that's completely unnecessary and doesn't fit with the idea of the setting being a planetary hunt. The three Predators are there not just to hunt humans but to hunt whatever else they brought to the planet. We know that in addition to our human characters the three big bad guys were hunting at least one other Predator, along with any number of those gray humanoid things and whatever those skinned corpses at the camp were (wild Pred-dogs?).

Right but then why introduce the idea of a blood feud in the first place? I'm saying it's better to go in one direction or the other rather than doing it all half-assed. Why were they hunting the other predator? Were there others? It's never shown or explained. If that's how they're going to play it, might as well have just had three classic predators as the main antagonists and left out the super predator angle altogether.

Again, it sets up the entire climax of the movie. It not only provides the characters with a clear goal to try and attain to move the plot forward, it gives you a little bit of what you wanted from the set up to begin with: an onscreen fight between two Predators. On top of all that, it's an attempt to introduce something new to what little backstory the aliens have without going all out and explaining their history and culture. These things love killing so much that they'll hunt variants of themselves, enough to (presumably) kidnap them and drop them off at a terraformed game preserve.

edit: I feel kind of weird defending this movie when I only thought 2/3rds of it was really good, and the thing as a whole was certainly not as good as the original, which it leans on for much of its appeal. Still, with all the things that were off about the movie, I feel that a lot of this stuff we're discussing isn't an issue.

BloodySloth on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »

Again, it sets up the entire climax of the movie. It not only provides the characters with a clear goal to try and attain to move the plot forward, it gives you a little bit of what you wanted from the set up to begin with: an onscreen fight between two Predators. On top of all that, it's an attempt to introduce something new to what little backstory the aliens have without going all out and explaining their history and culture. These things love killing so much that they'll hunt variants of themselves, enough to (presumably) kidnap them and drop them off at a terraformed game preserve.

edit: I feel kind of weird defending this movie when I only thought 2/3rds of it was really good, and the thing as a whole was certainly not as good as the original, which it leans on for much of its appeal. Still, with all the things that were off about the movie, I feel that a lot of this stuff we're discussing isn't an issue.

Had the "Blood feud" been introduced earlier in the film or had any other bearing on the plot besides being a device needed to bring about some easy closure to the finale, I'd agree with you. But it wasn't, so I can't.

Atomika on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Rape some fine bitches." will be said between my friends when asked what should we do for a couple of weeks.

It was good if you were looking for popcorn action flick. Me and my friends liked it.

But WTF was the piranhas trailer about? I hope it was a joke, because we were talking about bad 80's horror movies and piranha and frogs came up.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Piranha's is a classic terribad B-Horror movie.

It's not MEANT to be scary and it looks to me to be intentionally funny (in an eight legged freaks way).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    So Im curious, how was the scene from the trailer meant to pan out with all the shoulder-cannon sights trained on Brody's character? Anyone know?

DarkWarrior on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Im curious, how was the scene from the trailer meant to pan out with all the shoulder-cannon sights trained on Brody's character? Anyone know?

Made me say What The Fuck out loud.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Well based on that scene from the trailer I did go in expecting a horde of Predators, not 3. Just curious if much of the film was changed to get htem down to just the 3 or if that was meant to be the end of the film. At least for his character.

DarkWarrior on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe it was just 1 predator with 15 cannons.

RT800 on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RT800 wrote: »

Well great thanks for spoiling predator 4.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Predator Stark gets captured in Predator Afghanistan, taken to Predator terrorist camp and forced to build Predator Jericho missle along with Predator physicist, but instead builds Predator armor to escape and get back to his Predator company and build Predator armor mk II.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Predator Stark gets captured in Predator Afghanistan, taken to Predator terrorist camp and forced to build Predator Jericho missle along with Predator physicist, but instead builds Predator armor to escape and get back to his Predator company and build Predator armor mk II.

Do...do I just give you my ticket money now or do I got to wait?

Psychotic One on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RT800 wrote: »

Well great thanks for spoiling predator 4.

1 huge plasma caster with a tiny predator standing on it's shoulder.

Also this film was good mindless fun, could have been a bit more Predator action in the mid but still decent.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Well based on that scene from the trailer I did go in expecting a horde of Predators, not 3. Just curious if much of the film was changed to get htem down to just the 3 or if that was meant to be the end of the film. At least for his character.

That scene was created specifically for the trailer, and the film was never meant to have more than the three. There's a screen cap a while back that shows that shot compared to the film, and it's clear in still frame that all the sights were photoshopped in after the fact, except for the one that was actually there. It was just a quick and easy way to convey in the trailer the severity of the situation as well as the fact that they were dealing with more than a single Predator.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg