As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alien Swarm: She thought they said "illegal aliens" and signed up.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So, this is just like Crimsonland, right?

To continue to ask for comparisons, so this is just like Gauntlet on steroids right?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Funny thing is, when that Alien Breed remake came out a few months ago I went "damnit, I was hoping for something more Alien Swarm-like".

I <3 you, Valve!

Funny thing is, it'd been so long since I played Alien Swarm that when I heard about the Alien Breed remake, I mistook it for AS at first.

I had some fun playing it co-op on these forums years ago.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    alset85 wrote: »
    A while ago I discovered that you can't add friends or use other community features in Steam if you don't own a game on it (and the free HL2 DM promotions don't count), so unless they change that, I could see a few players being turned away from the game.

If I didn't already use Steam, I certainly wouldn't be pleased if I was told I had to buy something to add people to my friends list for a free game.

But they can accept invitations from the other person so it's just an anti-spam measure.

Really? As far as I remember, when I tried to play HL2 DM with a friend that didn't already use Steam, his friends list window just said that he couldn't use friends without buying anything.

Even if you're right, it doesn't help if two people that don't use Steam want to play this free game with each other. I guess Valve could just not care because it's free.

On the other hand, they get to experience the Steam FL functionality as it existed from launch to about a year or two ago

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Mr. Sunshine, you have the right mindset there. That would be incredible.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Game code and mod tools included, eh.
    m410442a_60010699001_enshboxfront_445x319.jpg

Make it so.

Hell yes, please. Oh very much so.

EDIT: Although I thought of that using L4D's engine and shivered for a moment.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've actually been interested in this for a really long time, ever since I played the UT2k4 mod. Between this and NS, much alien-marine interaction of the violent persuasion will be had.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is great news.

I played the Ut2k4 mod for about two weeks but quit because there were so few servers and most of them were private. Since then I've followed news of the source release occasionally. I thought this thing was dead. I'm pretty sure people on their forum were telling newcomers the game would never get made about a year ago.

EDIT:http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/

Look at this, until May 29th, the last update was in 2007.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I cannot wait for this to drop. This is like the perfect post Steam MegaSale dessert.

I await epic Game Ons!

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just realized this comes out on my birthday.

Valve...they knew.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Make it so.

It won't happen, Gamesworkshop will cease and desist the shit out of anyone who does this so fast it won't be funny.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Add me to this list if there's one going

(fmz65)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

Make it so.

It won't happen, Gamesworkshop will cease and desist the shit out of anyone who does this so fast it won't be funny.
    This is true. They send lawyers on fansites all the the time.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh maaaaan, I loved Alien Swarm. I was also one of the people who thought Alien Breed was supposed to be a succession of the same game and was wondering why it was so awful. I'm pretty excited for this.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Make it so.

And then every single one of my hearts was broken this day.

That would be the greatest thing. Space Hulk was one of my favorite board games to play at my pal Alan's.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am so in on this. Hell yes. Never played the original, but this looks amazing.
    Looks like Steam doesn't just have the trailer, but also a gameplay video.

In the third or fourth segment (second to last) it looks like when a player activates adrenaline, you get a third-person/over the shoulder view of your character (on the left side in a picture-in-picture kinda way). I thought that was pretty neat and def. something cool someone could mod the hell out of with the included code.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes! The original was great, this looks to be just as excellent.

That gameplay video looks fantastic and I'm loving every bit of it. Looks like the active reload system from Gears of War is in, that's cool.

So glad Stims are still in. I can't even imagine playing without them.

I'm looking forward to insane runs and generally dying fifty times before completing the first level.

Traikan on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just found out about this today and count me in! I was just playing Alien Breed too because I was hankering for some 3rd person pew pew old school style, and it's plodding along. This game looks much better!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    am i down for free co-op madness? hell yes.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I cannot wait to start paranoically welding every door behind me again.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

Make it so.

I have an idea for this totally original game.

It's Steampunk/Cthulhian.
    You are searching wrecked ironclads/submarines floating at the bottom of the ocean in order to reclaim lost artifacts and treasure, and of course destroy the abominations that have sunk the ship.
    You are in heavy metal diving suits, equiped with chainsaws for cutting through obstructions, lightning guns for welding and electrifying sections of the ship to prevent/damage anyone trying to access it, and other steampunkish type weapons(slow firing explosive rifles, swords, axes, etc).
    There are monsters inhabiting the ship, probably Deep Ones?

e:
    Ohh even better, The Insects from Shaggai.

Morkath on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I tried the unreal mod, but for some reason I could never get the character to move. arrow keys, wasd, nothing worked.

I'm looking forward to see what I missed out.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice one valve, I'll look forward to playing this :^:

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

Make it so.

You are searching wrecked ironclads/submarines floating at the bottom of the ocean in order to reclaim lost artifacts and treasure, and of course destroy the abominations that have sunk the ship.
    You are in heavy metal diving suits, equiped with chainsaws for cutting through obstructions, lightning guns for welding and electrifying sections of the ship to prevent/damage anyone trying to access it, and other steampunkish type weapons(slow firing explosive rifles, swords, axes, etc).

e:

Yup, GW would definately go after whoever tried it, but I can dream.

But that Bioshock Hulk revisioning sounds pretty cool.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Make it so.

e:

This reminds me of this one indie developer made Space Hulk for the PC that was pretty close to the source. Gameworkshop cease and desist the shit out of it when it was close to being released. Then the indie developers renamed everything to be hella generic to get around it.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This reminds me of this one indie developer made Space Hulk for the PC that was pretty close to the source. Gameworkshop cease and desist the shit out of it when it was close to being released. Then the indie developers renamed everything to be hella generic to get around it.

You mean Alien Assault? The annoying thing about that was after they got C&Ded for their initial Space Hulk release they entered into a discussion with Games Workshop about being allowed to officially use the name and GW said they couldn't allow it without THQ's permission since they had the rights to any computer version. Naturally, THQ wasn't interested in giving any such permission even though the only Space Hulk game they've ever published was on a mobile phone.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Make it so.

e:

I would play this.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Never played the original but this looks awesome. Can't wait to play it on Monday.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    triggerpappytriggerpappy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is very similar to Alien Breed Which came out in 2009 and is a remake of the old Alien Breed for Amiga in 91.

Anyhow looking forward to the 4 player Co-Op and can't beat the price.

Thanks Valve !

triggerpappy on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be "buying"!

So sold, no reason not to have this game really.

Hawk on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is very similar to Alien Breed Which came out in 2009 and is a remake of the old Alien Breed for Amiga in 91.

Anyhow looking forward to the 4 player Co-Op and can't beat the price.

Thanks Valve !

Except it originally came out long before Alien Breed.

And also played a lot better, if my memory serves.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Make it so.

e:

We must make this happen. I'm going to play the shit out of Alien Swarm, and I would also play a Steampunk/Cthulhu inspired variant.

Burnage on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I missed out on the original, but this looks awesome. I can't wait for some coop action.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Make it a dynamic campaign around the world. During the missions you uncover clues and mystical items. Then you go back to Miskatonic University and uncover new mission locations by researching the stuff you found. ;)

If you sell stuff to independent collectors it increases the chances of Terror Missions.

- Captain
    - Bodyguard
    - Doctor
    - Professor

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DeepQantas wrote: »
    Make it a dynamic campaign around the world. During the missions you uncover clues and mystical items. Then you go back to Miskatonic University and uncover new mission locations by researching the stuff you found. ;)

If you sell stuff to independent collectors it increases the chances of Terror Missions.

- Captain
    - Bodyguard
    - Doctor
    - Professor

Okay, I just jumped into this thread, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about (reading through it now).

But this? I would play this game. So hard.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks so friggin sweet.
    Steam group yet?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just created the group. Need a group image thing. :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Be sure to make it private once there are a handful of people to send invites.

Zek on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hell, mod it to be turnbased, slap some research in there, and call it Xcom.

It's already far more authentic than that other thing.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Current members have been officer'd. I will make the group private sometime tomorrow. Good night.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just joined the group.

Argh, why isn't Monday here yet?

Traikan on