As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragons Vs. Dinosaurs - Cover - updated

mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
Ok, so a long time ago, I was working on a comic. Now I'm working on the cover. I'm trying to give it some sort of epic feeling, but not sure if it's working. I also wanted to add possibly one of the female leads into the cover ... but that may not work. Also here is the progress of the logo (also suggested by forum peoples here that I change from my previous old logo which just used fonts) in hand drawn rough form.

dvd_cover.jpg

dvdLogo_rough1.jpg

dvd_banner.jpg
mr0range on

• Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the "Dinosaurs" logo, but it's really tough to tell what's going on in that picture. Could be really cool though. Keep posting your progress so we can get a better feel for what you're going for there.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    I like the "Dinosaurs" logo, but it's really tough to tell what's going on in that picture. Could be really cool though. Keep posting your progress so we can get a better feel for what you're going for there.

Yes, so far, it's a quick 15 min sketch. I had a feeling it may be too rough to comment. I'll get it 'tuned' a bit today.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BankBankBankBank Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    really into the middle pic, the drawn logo. the first sketch is pretty impressive as well.

the twitter logo seems just alright, the font is kind of squished together

BankBank on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BankBank wrote: »
    really into the middle pic, the drawn logo. the first sketch is pretty impressive as well.

The twitter one is his sig, but I guess I can agree with that.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BankBank wrote: »

oh ... yeah, that was just my twitter link/sig ... haven't updated that for like a year. Maybe I should change that. Um, ignore the sig.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm eager to see more of this, as it looked epic as hell last time I saw stuff.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok, here's a bit more progress. Does this work? Are the positions too confusing? Can I still add a dino-babe in here somewhere?

dvd_cover_progress1.jpg

here's a close-up of the T-Rex for kicks.

dvd_cover_TREXCU.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks pretty cool so far. Seems like throwing a figure in without planning could be problematic though.

When I first saw the thumbnail I envisioned a figure holding the jaws of the dragon apart with her arms and legs.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

When I first saw the thumbnail I envisioned a figure holding the jaws of the dragon apart with her arms and legs.

Already done with Shanna the She Devil or else I would have

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SabSab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To me it looks as if there's not much of a fight going on. The T-Rex looks more like a lizard being carried away by a bird, his fate as lunch is assured.

If it's Dragons vs Dinosaurs, and you said you wanted the epic feel, I want to see a fight.

Right now you're using what I would consider a head to head composition. It's common, and it works, but there are ways to make something a lot more epic, or less static, than the image you have now.

I feel like the dragon and dinosaur don't relate to each other enough. You have the dragon grabbing the dinosaur but the legs and arms are essentially disconnected from the face which leads to some confusion. Maybe a more drawn out camera view showing more of a fight or attack scene. Maybe go closer and really play up the heads.

I know whenever I think of epic combat art I look at Samwise Didier (Bliz's top artist) and sometimes the covers of books, the drizzt series has some good ones. To me they epitomize a scene of action where both contestants are taking hits, and that makes the action seem more real than a dragon simply carrying a trex off to his cave or whatever.

Really though, I haven't seen the comic and the type of drawing you have may fit in more than what I suggested or other concepts you came up with. I hope this helped in some way, anyway.

Sab on
    pasigsab.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sab wrote: »
    I hope this helped in some way, anyway.

All points valid. I'll approach it again. I really want a pretty dramatic cover.

thanks

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just an FYI, if you care about accuracy at all, T-Rex has three fingers: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/10/17/tyrannosaurus-dinosaur.html

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds to me like it was a weeny little nub, not a full finger. That article looses alot of credibility by having a Allosaurid in the illustration, not a T-rex.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Just an FYI, if you care about accuracy at all, T-Rex has three fingers: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/10/17/tyrannosaurus-dinosaur.html

It sounds like the third metacarpal was just a bonus tendon attachment for its other finger, and did not extend into a finger itself. This picture reinforces that idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tyrannosaur_arm_104.JPG

Also, I can't believe they threw in a picture of an Allosaurus skeleton, implying that it was a T. rex. That's absolutely ridiculous.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Hey, we don't have a picture of a 3 fingered T-Rex, so lets just slap on a picture of an entirely different dinosaur and call it a T-Rex! No one will notice on this science based news site for nerds!"

fucking journalists.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg