As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamestop Trade-in question

darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
got a quick question about tradeins at Gamestop. Are you able to trade in games/systems for cash? or does it vary by state (specifically Florida)?

image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
darkenedwing on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You'll get more money for whatever your trading in by selling it to someone you know.

And I'm fairly sure they only trade for in-store credit.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It actually does vary state-to-state, as Gamestop (and a lot of other retailers, actually) fall under pawn law.

Call your local store and ask.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't remember if it was GameStop or EB Games, but one of the two would give you the option of a small amount of cash or a slightly larger but still small trade-in value.

Buttcleft is right though. Just sell it on Amazon, even. You'll get so much more money than even the trade-in value.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well if I do trade things in for cash it'll either be my 360 and all my games or my PS3 and all my games cause depending on certain things happening right now I'm going to need a few hundred $ cash.

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    MentisMentis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well if I do trade things in for cash it'll either be my 360 and all my games or my PS3 and all my games cause depending on certain things happening right now I'm going to need a few hundred $ cash.

Craigslist will get you a much better deal.

Mentis on
    Minecraft & XBL name: TheCJX
    Steam: Ashengor
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You probably wouldn't get a few hundred in cash from Gamestop if you traded your 360 & PS3 both, plus all the games.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mentis wrote: »

Depending on your area and how good your local Craigslist is, of course.

Otherwise, go on Amazon, sell it for a penny less than the lowest used copy and watch it sell within the hour.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Craigslist has to many weird and crazy people on it

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gamestops in Florida do trade ins for cash. However, you get only 75% in cash of the store credit amount. So if something is worth twenty bucks for store credit, you'll only be getting fifteen bucks cash total.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The trade in value on the PS3 varies by both SKU and region, but in general you're looking at between $80-$140 store credit. And like The Sneak! said, they'll take 25% off the store credit value for a cash trade.

I would ebay it or sell it to a friend.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Plus all of our Gamestops are flooded with 360's right now thanks to the trade-in deal they had for the new slim.

360's trade in for peanuts. And no, that's not Gamestop ripping you off...it's Gamestop saying "fuck off we don't want anymore xboxes," but indirectly.

I've worked there for years and I say it's pretty much never worth selling stuff to us for cash. If you're not gonna take advantage of any trade-in deals/edge card for store credit don't bother.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cheapassgamer.com has an intricately detailed, continually updated list of what GameStop will give you for trading in pretty much anything. The forums are well worth registering for. Here's the thread in question.

Right now is actually a really good time to trade in a Ps3, as you'll get $200 in credit for any working system. I think if your stores allow you to opt for cash instead you take a 20 percent hit. And as stated above, now is actually a terrible time to trade in a 360 - a system with controller will yield a piddling $50 in credit. Game credit values vary but are invariably lower than you expect.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, trading to gamestop is a bad idea. you are far better of using ebay or Goozex to trade things/ sell your games.

also
    GAMING FUCKSTOP!

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Craigslist has to many weird and crazy people on it

As someone who deals with 5-10 people from craigslist every week, I can say that this is mostly correct but would also add in "harmless".

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Cheapassgamer.com has an intricately detailed, continually updated list of what GameStop will give you for trading in pretty much anything. The forums are well worth registering for. Here's the thread in question.

Right now is actually a really good time to trade in a Ps3, as you'll get $200 in credit for any working system. I think if your stores allow you to opt for cash instead you take a 20 percent hit. And as stated above, now is actually a terrible time to trade in a 360 - a system with controller will yield a piddling $50 in credit. Game credit values vary but are invariably lower than you expect.

Yeah, that is a promotion though on the PS3s. The promo bonus ONLY qualifies if getting credit, the cash value would be off the normal trade value.

and its a 20% drop for cash, not 25%.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Regarding trades: I just turned in a PS2, FFX, FFXII, MGS2, Katamari 1, Rygar, San Andreas, and DA:O (PS3) and I got 63 dollars. Not the best deal, but I also was turning in my 20g HDD for 30. With the Buy 2 Get 1 used deal that ends today, I'll more than make up for it in the end. But if you need cash... no, don't go to Gamestop.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well I'm trying to sell it online but if I dont get any bites I might have to bite the bullet and sell it to gamestop, which I really don't want to do =/
    I'm trying to sell my 120gb PS3 slim, and like 6 games+2 controllers for $375 so hopefully I get some hits.

darkenedwing on