As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    in what way?

Angry on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    in what way?

Raw quality.

Seriously though the first film wasn't too great, and I was just being facetious. Ghost Rider can be pretty cool though so hopefully a sequel (or remake?) would be much better.

Solar on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you never know with you solar.

if they can create a jason aaron ghostrider world, it would be the best thing.

Angry on
    edited July 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    you never know with you solar.

if they can create a jason aaron ghostrider world, it would be the best thing.

I am the proverbial dark horse.

And yeah I think the most important thing to do with Ghost Rider is really define the world, because he always felt a little jarring when put beside normal Marvel continuity and if they do go that way sorting that out is pretty important. Jason Aaron did a good job of that, we'll see how it goes in the new film.

Solar on
  • NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was going to say that just having Cage's love interest be within 20 years of his age would be a nice little improvement. Then I remembered that it's being directed by the Crank guys so he probably will just have a posse of stripper nuns that he sets fire to once he's done boning them on his bike.

NODe on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A Taiwanese comic so it still counts.
    Official Plot Synopsis: Priest is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. Paul Bettany is Priest, a legendary warrior priest during the last Vampire War, who now lives in obscurity among the other human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities controlled by the Church. But when his 18-year-old niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires in the desolate wastelands outside, Priest breaks his sacred vows and ventures out to find her and seek vengeance upon those responsible, especially their brutal leader (Karl Urban). Priest is joined on his crusade by his niece’s boyfriend, Hicks (Cam Gigandet), a local outpost sheriff, and Priestess (Maggie Q), a member of his former legion of vampire-killers who has otherworldly fighting skills.

Priest will hit theaters on May 13th 2011.
    2r7t5ox.jpg

r7lmc3.jpg

293en28.jpg

2i2buht.jpg

23h3mv7.jpg

ra67h3.jpg

vnh215.jpg

Shame how this has absolutely nothing to do with the actual Priest manhwa (which is Korean, not Taiwanese) other than in name.

iguanacus on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NODe wrote: »
    I was going to say that just having Cage's love interest be within 20 years of his age would be a nice little improvement. Then I remembered that it's being directed by the Crank guys so he probably will just have a posse of stripper nuns that he sets fire to once he's done boning them on his bike.

and something about this is bad how?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elisabeth Shue to be hot milf in Ghost Rider 2.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    also I posit that anyone who hated the first Ghost Rider movie wanted to hate it beforehand

It wasn't that awful!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    also I posit that anyone who hated the first Ghost Rider movie wanted to hate it beforehand

It wasn't that awful!

The element demons was silly, but I thought it looked pretty cool. I have no idea how true it was to the Ghost Rider character, but what is there besides Flaming Skull, Chain Whip, Kick Ass?

Fencingsax on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Until Jason Aaron stepped up, nothing really.

Furu on
    edited July 2010
    He was pretty much supernatural batman

But with less detecting and more hellfire

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually liked Daniel Way's Ghost Rider run up till his last arc which honestly was really damn awful. I'd recommend getting the first 3 volumes of Way's run, skipping the 4th, and then Aaron's excellent 4 volume run starts.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2010

It wasn't that awful!

It wasn't a spectacular failure, it just wasn't a good movie. I always want to like a movie based on a comic, I went to see this in the theatre.

The lame parts I remember include all the elemental demons being incredibly easy for GR to defeat. I don't think any of those fights lasted more than 10 seconds. Also the old man/cowboy Ghost Rider, who appears, rides across the desert with GR and then just leaves...wut? It just wasn't visually interesting enough to make up for the terrible script. At least in Wolverine I could vaguely enjoy some references to characters I knew.

NODe on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought Ghost Rider was more of urban Spectre, passing judgement on people.

Making them look into his eyes to see their soul or something (all I know about GR comes from the times he showed up in DD's book, and that time he became a Brood in Jim Lee's X-Men run with Gambit).

edit: how good was Sam Elliott in the movie? Was it tails?

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    The whole Penance Stare thing didn't enter the Ghost Rider mythos until the 90's

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I say this in every comic book movie thread, but I wish there were more high budget animated comic book movies. Think of things that could be done-- Paul Pope's Adam Strange thing from Wednesday comics, we3, Seven Soldiers, an Inhumans/f4 movie by Pixar, ... and the budget could be dedicated to making the movie awesome, instead of a figuring out a way to make someone more famous or whatever.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    Comic Book movies and animation, sadly, in Hollywood, are made for two completely different audiences

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I think we3 by Pixar would just emotionally cripple anyone that watched it.

I just don't think any of the studios that you'd want to see making a general release comic book animated adaptation would bother using licensed material. It's not as though Pixar or Disney will give a crap if you tell them that this comic sold thousands of copies. Comic numbers are a complete joke to them and they already have in house idea machines.

NODe on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Get the people who did Watership down to do We3, they love crippling emotions!

( also 9 more days, it's killing me! go faster days, FASTER!)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Get the people who did Watership down to do We3, they love crippling emotions!

( also 9 more days, it's killing me! go faster days, FASTER!)

Didn't the same company also do Plague Dogs? That movie made me want to slit my wrists.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Inception rocked my cerebral cortex so hard. Utterly insane.

Any chance Nolan's going to drop some Batman 3 details in Comic-Con?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Did you read the info about it shooting in April next year?

Thats all I know about it so far, I figure we might get a villain drop. It only serves to sadden me again about Ledgers loss, I would've loved to see the taking Joker to trial rumoured plot.

DarkWarrior on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just hoping Joker at least gets an honorable mention, not just "oh he's locked up now". Maybe make a comment about how Arkham therapists won't go near him or some-such foreboding.

I just continue to hope that Steve Schirripa gets cast as Harvey Bollock.

He's absolutely perfect for the role, and with Batman on the run from police, it's the perfect moment to drop him in.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The next Batman film will be forever tainted by the thought of what it could have been had we not lost Ledger.

I'll still see it day 1, of course.

Tomanta on
    edited July 2010
    Indeed. Nolan's Batman is awesome because its a universe, villains don't just disappear (Unless they're temp-dead), they carry over, they do their own thing which might only be minor to the overall plot but they're there, they're living and breathing and for a first encounter between Bats and the Joker, TDK was a brilliant experience.

3 will be good, but it will never be what it could've been with at minimum a likely cameo from the Joker.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    carry over meaning are in the film for 30 seconds and never once referenced again?

Angry on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Los Angeles Times apparently published a fantastic new still of the Thor movie. It's a scene from Odin's throne room, notable for showing both Odin and Loki with their helmets on.
    13796L.jpg

Additionally, I just love the set design. It's so... Frank Frazetta-esque. Like the fusion of 50's sci-fi and high fantasy.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited July 2010
    fuck, that looks fantastic.

Angry on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yay Loki Horns!!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Fuckin' yeah!

Solar on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's strange how, despite not minding at all that Loki didn't have that ridiculous helmet in the film, when I saw that image of him wearing it I went "squeee!"

It is just that ridiculous that it becomes awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just hoping Joker at least gets an honorable mention, not just "oh he's locked up now". Maybe make a comment about how Arkham therapists won't go near him or some-such foreboding.

He's absolutely perfect for the role, and with Batman on the run from police, it's the perfect moment to drop him in.

I couldn't help but feel like Inception was a try-out for Joseph Gordon Levitt to play the Joker. Honestly, I would have no problem with that. Have him be locked up and maybe have Gordon mention that the Joker has been fucking with the psychiatric help in Arkham by continuously shifting his personality - maybe even have him perform some do-it-yourself surgery on himself. This would allow for a different take on the character from another actor.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited July 2010

I couldn't help but feel like Inception was a try-out for Joseph Gordon Levitt to play the Joker. Honestly, I would have no problem with that. Have him be locked up and maybe have Gordon mention that the Joker has been fucking with the psychiatric help in Arkham by continuously shifting his personality - maybe even have him perform some do-it-yourself surgery on himself. This would allow for a different take on the character from another actor.

Not going to happen, Nolan said Joker won't be back now. Its a hard choice because Id love to see him again but I understand why he won't be.

DarkWarrior on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how Odin's throne looks like a big golden sword in that picture.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Nolan has stated numerous times that the Joker won't be played by anyone else.

Which doesn't mean that he won't be referred to in the third movie, just that no other actor is going to take the role. I'm fine with that really, because whether it would be an attempt to continue the cohisive story or whatever, you can't escape the whiff of bad taste.

And that Thor is pic is great. I like that they show Odin's ravens.

noir_blood on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, oh man Thor will be awesome. So cool.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It wasn't that awful!

I would like a barometer of awful. Where does that awful fall on the scale?

cardboard delusions on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't seen Ghost Rider yet, and it is queued in my Netflix. I'm expecting a pretty high level of suck.

Ghost Rider should be a hard R to really pull off the spirit of the comics correctly.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No Ghost Rider was probably one of the worst comic movies ever. It was like a CW show mixed with a badly scripted Video Game

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg