As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A funny [chat] happened on the way to the forum

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of eating healthy

I ate plain yogurt today for the first time in a while

now I am sitting in the bathroom at work taking a horrible shit

is this normal

cleaning out the pipes man

nexuscrawler on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Robos it depends. My sister and her husband are professional chefs. My sister is actually a pastry chef. They do well for themselves. If she can get a job, she will be just fine.

Did they go to culinary school? How long did it take them to move no from entry level jobs to where they are today?

From what I've read, anyone who goes to culinary school will probably have to start at the bottom anyway, despite the fact that culinary school costs as much as a private university.

They both did. You start above the actual line cooks, but below head chef. You are an apprentice chef or an assistant chef. And they did work their way up, her husband has cooked for presidents and other high level officials. So they do well now. But it is one thing if you do well, and can cook and control a kitchen because being a chef is as much about cooking as it is about managing.

I mean you will never ever start at the top of any job.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

is this normal

Was it Activia? Were you constipated?

Robos A Go Go on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I understand not wanting homogenized milk. I understand wanting milk that isn't from cows full of hormones and antibiotics. But do people realize how dangerous unpasteurized milk can be? And why there are laws on the books about it. Do people realize the amount of sickness it caused and why we had a mass government sponsored movement to get rid of unpasteurized milk?

I like the idea of local food. I get my milk from a local dairy. But I think people need to sit down and think about what pasteurization actually is and does.
    Pretty much this. The laws all exist for good reason. Pasteurized mild doesn't taste as good as unpasteurized of course, but the benefit far outweighs the loss of taste.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

not always true.

is your last name bush or kennedy?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I am getting healthier with every burst of hot agony

well that's good to know

Evil Multifarious on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

is this normal

its likely a sign that your colon bacteria were NOT normal.

This simultaneously makes me want to eat and never eat plain yogurt.

Inquisitor on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So apparently Leigh's mother found me charming. Her father still loathes me.

Why does he hate you? Is it because you're older? Is it the bisexuality?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I understand not wanting homogenized milk. I understand wanting milk that isn't from cows full of hormones and antibiotics. But do people realize how dangerous unpasteurized milk can be? And why there are laws on the books about it. Do people realize the amount of sickness it caused and why we had a mass government sponsored movement to get rid of unpasteurized milk?

I like the idea of local food. I get my milk from a local dairy. But I think people need to sit down and think about what pasteurization actually is and does.
    Pretty much this. The laws all exist for good reason. Pasteurized mild doesn't taste as good as unpasteurized of course, but the benefit far outweighs the loss of taste.

Small loss of some vitamins as well. Still better off pasteurizing it.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010

the benefit being a risk adjustment. what if i think the taste is worth the risk? (i don't, personally)

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Life is so good, guys.

Silas Brown on
    edited July 2010

Small loss of some vitamins as well. Still better off pasteurizing it.

destroys some enzymes and stuff too. makes it harder to digest.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited July 2010
    Life is so good, guys.

Yes, yes it is. :D

Inquisitor on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Man E_M are you seriously posting from the toilet

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alice in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is rather unfazed by everything. I can see why that would put people off, but I rather liked it.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited July 2010
    Basically, I look at life, and then I become that kid in the car from that picture Thoma was posting last night.

Thoma, could you illustrate please?

Silas Brown on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Life is so good, guys.

So long as I can find mirrors and other reflective surfaces, life will always be good.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2010
    Life is so good, guys.

DISGUSTING! YOUR PUBLIC DISPLAY OF A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON LIFE IS REPELLENT!

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

the maddeningly mushy romance??

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited July 2010
    Life is so good, guys.

C'mere and give me kisses, thisisntwally.

Silas Brown on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    isn't thom's issue with his father in-law a class thing?

Nerdgasmic on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I am getting healthier with every burst of hot agony

well that's good to know

I'm a little aroused

nexuscrawler on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

Fathers are meant to dislike their daughter's boyfriends. It's in the Dad Manual.

BobCesca on
    edited July 2010
    Robos it depends. My sister and her husband are professional chefs. My sister is actually a pastry chef. They do well for themselves. If she can get a job, she will be just fine.

Did they go to culinary school? How long did it take them to move no from entry level jobs to where they are today?

From what I've read, anyone who goes to culinary school will probably have to start at the bottom anyway, despite the fact that culinary school costs as much as a private university.

They both did. You start above the actual line cooks, but below head chef. You are an apprentice chef or an assistant chef. And they did work their way up, her husband has cooked for presidents and other high level officials. So they do well now. But it is one thing if you do well, and can cook and control a kitchen because being a chef is as much about cooking as it is about managing.

That's pretty surprising to me, since what I read made it sound like people coming out of culinary school could only find line cook positions. The stories were mostly anecdotal, though, so I probably didn't have the entire picture on the matter.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Every issue is a class thing. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Silas Brown on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

the benefit being a risk adjustment. what if i think the taste is worth the risk? (i don't, personally)
    Then you have to find a supplier that will do a person to person sale. It's kind of a legal minefield. I can buy raw milk from a farmer, as long as the farmer isn't selling raw milk as a business, which yes, doesn't make much sense.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I think the non-stick coating on this pan has finally gone completely to shit.

But I don't want to buy a new frying pan :(

MrMister on
    edited July 2010

The diseases you can get from unpasteurized milk can be transfered after the infection. Is it worth risking people around you for the taste?

It is a stupid fad because someone thought, "Hey, there was less cancer and such before we pasteurized milk. It taste better and has more vitamins! It is better for us! We should drink it raw!" They forgot why we pasteurize because it isn't some big corporate conspiracy to make us by their factory farm milk.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    necro-reply:
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I like Nolan's movies a lot but I'm skeptical that there's much more territory to be mined with his self-serious approach. Shackling superhero stories to a narrow vision of "plausibility" really limits the kinds of stories you can tell and keeps the genre from working on the mythical, poetic levels it's most effective at.

It's really the only way to do a batman movie though.

Or maybe any of it. The only way the mythical superhero stories really work is when the superhero himself is not the main character

Have you seen Justice League Unlimited? Those guys figured out how to do this a long time ago, to the point that they largely ended up surpassing the comics.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited July 2010
    Life is so good, guys.

C'mere and give me kisses, thisisntwally.

my wife would be less than thrilled by such a course of action. frankly, i would be less than thrilled myself...

anyhoo, glad to hear you're digging life.

considering its extreme unlikelihood its the only perspective that makes sense.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited July 2010

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARX!!!!!

Inquisitor on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's for a number of reasons, there is a class difference between us, the age difference, the fact that I'm a Yankee, that I was raised Catholic, the fact I'm a registered Democrat and a number of other things. I don't think he's aware of my bisexuality but I'm sure that would annoy him as well. But I suspect the thing that really grinds his gears is that I'm a better shot then him.

Thomamelas on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, I have little sympathy for people getting busted for selling unsafe food products.

MrMister on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Man E_M are you seriously posting from the toilet

Half of [chat] is doing this at any given time.

Smurph on
    edited July 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

Fathers are meant to dislike their daughter's boyfriends. It's in the Dad Manual.

The only way to earn their respect is by besting them in hand to hand combat.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    A friend of mine is applying to Le Cordon Bleu culinary school for a year to get a diploma in cooking pastries, and I'm worried it's a bad financial decision that won't pay off. It's not my place to tell her though, right?

On the bright side, her reasonably well-off boyfriend will help her with the loan, so it's possible she won't take too much of a financial hit. Not that being financially dependent on your significant other is great either.

chefs and cooks have a hard life and probably get underpaid for their effort and expertise

but on the other hand there is always available work

and i understand that it's occupationally rewarding in a lot of ways

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited July 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Man, I think the non-stick coating on this pan has finally gone completely to shit.

But I don't want to buy a new frying pan :(

By a cast iron pan. They are cheap and are just awesome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

The only way to earn their respect is by besting them in hand to hand combat.

See: Wayne's World 2

RMS Oceanic on
    edited July 2010

I don't think this is true at all, dude

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.