As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A funny [chat] happened on the way to the forum

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    only working two days this week. For whatever reason. Working five next week.

And since going out then will probably be out of the question as I am working friday, saturday and sunday, I'll have to go extra much out this weekend

EDIT: Why does everyone dress so horribly

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    I just don't have a suit and I don't want to get one. I'm already spending enough money on this damn trip. Daddy needs his alcohol funds.

every man should own a suit

even if it's a salvation army suit. that's fine

but every man needs at least one suit

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    West coast is the best coast--hippies for life.

My favorite women are the Berkeley women you see on the street who wear comfortable clothes and have waist-length iron grey hair, and when you look at them you just know that they protested every war and are generally awesome.

MrMister on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Is the Medal of Honor beta online only?

Yeah. And it's pretty awful.

Dammit

Before deployment I loaded up my laptop with RPG's, on the premise that they are the biggest time-sinks and generally my favorite genre and thus the wisest investment of hard disk space

I included only my very favorite games from other genres. Saints Row 2, GTA IV, Call of Pripyat, Mount and Blade...

I didn't anticipate that sometimes I would just want to shoot something. Which is what I want right now. Now, of course, those games I just listed involve shooting people. But it's not their primary focus. In Call of Pripyat shooting people does sometimes happen but it is always secondary to exploration. In GTA IV and Saints Row 2, to be honest, the shootouts sometimes feel more like whack-a-mole than shooting.

Other games that are devoted to the gunplay of course offer a better, more visceral shooting experience. Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2 (Which unfortunately doesn't work at all anyway), and Arma II (<3 <3<3<3<3<3<3) are all included here, but I didn't feel that their singleplayer campaigns warranted keeping them installed. The internet here is just too slow and unstable to play any kind of online game beyond a MUD.

I guess I'll try to download one of them anyway. Probably Arma in light of this expansion that's apparently out.

Maybe it'll be done downloading by the time I RTB

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I just don't have a suit and I don't want to get one. I'm already spending enough money on this damn trip. Daddy needs his alcohol funds.

What the hell do I need a suit for? The only time it could come up is if some dudes from the internet insist that I wear one while we go get drunk.

Silas Brown on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my worgen will probably have human names since they are also human

there will be many of them, and my ocd desire to have a character of each class in each faction will be satisfied. many will stay at level 1 forever, but that's okay.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

What the hell do I need a suit for? The only time it could come up is if some dudes from the internet insist that I wear one while we go get drunk.

Job Interviews.

Thomamelas on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't know where I belong. I am classy and elitist like an east-coaster but depraved and sex-starved like a west coaster.

It means you belong in Kansas.

Sorry.

We're too classy for any of you plebes.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey [chat]

I'm in a good mood today.

Although, I was just placed into an HR debate to be a character witness by the defendant without my permission or notification, so I got to get that shit resolved.

BUT I CAN DO THAT FROM MY SHINY NEW IPHONE 3GS, and I gave my wife the 3G, it's her first REAL phone. She loves it, and I got nookie/brownie points.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    there will be many of them, and my ocd desire to have a character of each class in each faction will be satisfied. many will stay at level 1 forever, but that's okay.

Worgaholic.

Echo on
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Job Interviews.

I wear work clothes to job interviews.

Silas Brown on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MrMister wrote: »

My favorite women are the Berkeley women you see on the street who wear comfortable clothes and have waist-length iron grey hair, and when you look at them you just know that they protested every war and are generally awesome.

hippie chicks are hot

but I've always had a thing for the hippie thing

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

also fuck excel

What's wrong?

lots?

my graph problem is complicated

Ah...

basically i want the x-axis to be a non-integer scalar (my four semi-arbitrary classifiers), the y axis to be the numerical data point, and have each data point in the scatter plot labeled with the animal number

Yeah, I've never really had great luck fucking around with Excel charts--I just haven't had much need to use them so really don't know the best ways around things. Good luck? :P

LaOs on
    edited July 2010

I am suitless and I intend to remain so

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Berkley would be cool. I want to apply to the University there as one of my choices after I finish with community college.

Sarksus on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Berkley would be cool. I want to apply to the University there as one of my choices after I finish with community college.

It's p. awesome.

MrMister on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

for the same reason a man should have his balls even if he's not going to use them

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Job Interviews.

I wear work clothes to job interviews.

Eh, suits give a better impression. Also, sometimes you may wanna go somewhere nice.

Thomamelas on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »

hippie chicks are hot

but I've always had a thing for the hippie thing

they're fun to look at if you're a few feet away.

they smell though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2010

It's p. awesome.

It doesn't have a fucking Cathedral of Learning though does it.

Sarksus on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HEY

I shaved this weekend :(

I think I look pretty good actually.

pics or it didn't happen

Arch on
    edited July 2010
    HEY

pics or it didn't happen

For real? I could furnish some after work.

Silas Brown on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, Mori, I realize you live in a place where coonskin caps are still considered business casual but when you escape 1800s land you'll find that a suit really is a necessity for a dude. If nothing else it gives you extra possibilities for places to go, things to do etc.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd get a Salvation Army suit, but I'm afraid it would be haunted.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Seriously, Mori, I realize you live in a place where coonskin caps are still considered business casual but when you escape 1800s land you'll find that a suit really is a necessity for a dude.

This is fair. Since I live in an oppressive state I guess I can't argue about what it's like to live in any other state.

Silas Brown on
    edited July 2010
    HEY

pics or it didn't happen

For real? I could furnish some after work.

if you are feelin it. that is just generally my response to many situations

Arch on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Is the Medal of Honor beta online only?

Yeah. And it's pretty awful.

Dammit

Before deployment I loaded up my laptop with RPG's, on the premise that they are the biggest time-sinks and generally my favorite genre and thus the wisest investment of hard disk space

I included only my very favorite games from other genres. Saints Row 2, GTA IV, Call of Pripyat, Mount and Blade...

I didn't anticipate that sometimes I would just want to shoot something. Which is what I want right now. Now, of course, those games I just listed involve shooting people. But it's not their primary focus. In Call of Pripyat shooting people does sometimes happen but it is always secondary to exploration. In GTA IV and Saints Row 2, to be honest, the shootouts sometimes feel more like whack-a-mole than shooting.

Other games that are devoted to the gunplay of course offer a better, more visceral shooting experience. Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2 (Which unfortunately doesn't work at all anyway), and Arma II (<3 <3<3<3<3<3<3) are all included here, but I didn't feel that their singleplayer campaigns warranted keeping them installed. The internet here is just too slow and unstable to play any kind of online game beyond a MUD.

I guess I'll try to download one of them anyway. Probably Arma in light of this expansion that's apparently out.

Maybe it'll be done downloading by the time I RTB

How quickly do you get mail? One imagines this is the type of thing which could be burned to disk and sent to you. Or put on a more durable USB stick and sent to you.

electricitylikesme on
    edited July 2010
    I don't want to ever wear a suit. I've never even worn my Class A service uniform. I hate it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, Mori, I realize you live in a place where coonskin caps are still considered business casual but when you escape 1800s land you'll find that a suit really is a necessity for a dude.

This is fair. Since I live in an oppressive state I guess I can't argue about what it's like to live in any other state.

Since when is Alaska an oppresive state?

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2010

And sometimes you just wanna go somewhere nice and classy just for the experience. This means having a suit.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010
    Okay whatever I don't want to talk about this anymore.

Silas Brown on
    edited July 2010
    I have two or three complete suits and three or four more jackets that I need to find pants for 8-)

Sarksus on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Have you seen Justice League Unlimited? Those guys figured out how to do this a long time ago, to the point that they largely ended up surpassing the comics.

i haven't seen it.

i guess it strikes me as hard to really frame a legitimate threat as well as have real human concerns in a mythic-level sort of scenario.

It's absolutely possible if the writers have their heads screwed on straight. Basically I think a lot of the reason people watch/read superheroes is the reason they used to go to the opera or whatever: to experience big, larger-than-life emotions and conflict played out on the largest possible stage. Doing it right is just a matter of connecting the exterior action to the interior emotions, the same as anything else.

Look at something like the original Matrix. People loved the outscale conflicts in that but also managed to connect to some degree with the characters. And that's not even a classic of writing or anything - but it's telling that the sequels, which had even more action but way less effective characterization, were more indifferently received.
    watchmen had a pretty insightful take on it i thought.

Watchmen's critique of comics was actually for me the worst thing about it. Aside from the really obvious fundamental critiques of the genre that everyone knows about (it's not realistic, why wear costumes, wouldn't you get shot?, etc.) - stuff that anyone who reads that material has long since already reconciled with and moved on past - I think it really missed the boat in terms of understanding readers' motivations for coming to those sorts of stories.

Arguably, what ruined the matrix sequels was (partly) the fact that Neo was overpowered once he figured out his deal at the end of the first movie, so they had to kind of invent escalating threats to challenge him. I mean there were other things wrong too, but that was one. If you can fly and stop time then really who's gonna be able to take you on and why do you need teammates?

Kingdom Come was a reasonably good stab at trying to make a mythic sort of story, but it basically had to be told from the perspective of a regular dude. Whatever Watchmen's flaws that you mentioned as a critique, it turned out that the only real superhuman character(s) - Ozy and Dr. Manhattan - were central characters to the story but from a storytelling perspective were definitely third-person. They could not be normal people with sympathetic concerns simply because of their power levels.

I mean every superman story revolves around him losing his powers somehow. There's a reason for that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010

I had a youtube sketch to post here, but in ever favorited it! :x

Echo on
    edited July 2010
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay whatever I don't want to talk about this anymore.

If you don't want to talk, then get a suit. Let your clothes do the talking.

Robos A Go Go on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    Even when I was dirt poor living in a wasp-riddled trailer in Missouri, I owned two suits; one for formal stuff and one to just tool about a nice restaurant in.

It's like a woman not having a LBD somewhere in their wardrobe; it makes you the oddball not to have it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate suits. I don't even tuck in my shirt at work.

Thankfully I have a cool boss that lets me get away with that.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited July 2010

It's p. awesome.

It doesn't have a fucking Cathedral of Learning though does it.

Not everywhere can!

I do not own a suit and have no immediate plans to acquire one.

Instead of buying a suit, I shall take a nap.

MrMister on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i need moar suits

I'll be there in two and a...

Oh, you said suits... not sluts.

Ok.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.