As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After playing some DQ8 and then finding out DQ9 had blank slate creatable party members I preordered the bitch right when I could. Thats all I needed and I am loving it for it. I am 40 hours in and just got to the baddie plot twist.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's the deal with monsters becoming infatuated with my Mage. Sure, she's cute in her dancers outfit and knee highs, but man.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tentacle rape society

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's the deal with monsters becoming infatuated with my Mage. Sure, she's cute in her dancers outfit and knee highs, but man.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Charm adds to your Equipment's style values for your overall Style stat. Style sometimes makes monsters waste a turn admiring your characters, and if it's significantly high can paralyze or confuse them.

It seems to happen a lot more often than it did in previous games, too. And it happens with both male and female characters, so it's actually not Japan being creepy re: sex and gender for once.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2010
    Tentacle rape society

Ewww.

Edit: Thanks Blackjack!

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It took me a while to figure it out, but the Style stat from Dragon Quest VII is back. It increases (or decreases!) depending on what you're wearing and your base Charm stat. A more stylish appearance increases the chance of monsters losing a turn or becoming confused or paralyzed. The game doesn't update you on the stat though so you have to check the the attributes page if you want to know what it is. It's right at the bottom under Defense.

Goldhawk00 on
    edited July 2010
    Ya, she's rocking a dancers outfit, knee highs, bunny ears and a tail right now. No wonder they're going gaga.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Then again, it's stupidly easy to loose track of time grinding for alchemy mats with your Thief.

Singular thief? I'm really liking going around with two people knowing the steal ability, really speeds things up.

Also, I'm probably grinding for mats too much since I've not had any problems with any of the bosses. But also part of my grinding is just trying to get some of those class quests. I think I'm trying to get them the hardest way possible. For example, for the Cry Wolf quest, after trying to kill about 20 of them, I finally figured out that they never stay frozen after the first action (also I thought I had to kill them with the same martial artist that used the cry ability) so, luckily my martial artist was slower than the wolf, so the first round would be, accelerate on the MA, wolf action, then cry to freeze, then I could kill him the next round because of the accelerate.

Took me forever to do. :(

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    Goldhawk00 wrote: »
    It took me a while to figure it out, but the Style stat from Dragon Quest VII is back. It increases (or decreases!) depending on what you're wearing and your base Charm stat. A more stylish appearance increases the chance of monsters losing a turn or becoming confused or paralyzed. The game doesn't update you on the stat though so you have to check the the attributes page if you want to know what it is. It's right at the bottom under Defense.

Besides the somewhat vague quest conditions, this is one of my annoyances about stats. I wish they would list charm on the item. Also, I'd like to be able to compare stuff when I'm buying beside just defense, for mages/priests, I'd like to be able to compare magical might/mending instead. (Unless there's a way to do it that I don't know about).

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's great about that stat is that it works on boss (even the final story boss). It saved my life at least once in a tense grotto battle.

quaigy on
  • CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    What's great about that stat is that it works on boss (even the final story boss). It saved my life at least once in a tense grotto battle.

Plus it's just hilarious when you can stop a giant skull-faced tarantula from eating your face just because it fell in love with your iron-clad warrior.

Calaveron on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gladiator quest done easy
    My party was MC Warrior, Martial Artist, Priest, Mage. I did MC Psyc up to 100, MA do warcry every turn, priest do snooze every turn, mage do accellerate to full and defend untill rebuff. I went to bloomingdale and got at least 3 slimes. Just do psyc, warcry, sleep, snooze and they'll all just sit there. I got all 3 in 1 battle but it took about 10 minute of real time play.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Calaveron wrote: »

Plus it's just hilarious when you can stop a giant skull-faced tarantula from eating your face just because it fell in love with your iron-clad warrior.

FFT charm, only passive, yay!

I'm gonna get my mack on. MACK OF DEATH.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the one thing I've decided that I don't like about DQIX is how equipment falls into its own inventory bucket now. I loved hoarding older items with use effects to pull out in combat. My mage would be carrying nearly ever staff in the game by the end and would alternate depending on what I was fighting. Even if they weren't using the magma staff, it was nice having a free bang spell on hand.

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    I think the one thing I've decided that I don't like about DQIX is how equipment falls into its own inventory bucket now. I loved hoarding older items with use effects to pull out in combat. My mage would be carrying nearly ever staff in the game by the end and would alternate depending on what I was fighting.
    You can change equipment in the middle of the fight without wasting a turn, so you can still do that. It just doesn't take up item slots better served by Special Medicine anymore.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a mage on my team. But I feel like I'm using her wrong.

Every round of combat goes like this -

Me: A + A + A + A on the battle screen. As fast as I can.

Lucascraft on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Set tactics for your team then. I have my Priest on "Focus on Healing" and the Theif and Mage on "Fight Wisely". Seems alright for the most part.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited July 2010
    Meh.

Combat thus far has been so easy that I don't really need to worry about spells. And it humors me to see her run up and swing her wand and do like 3 damage. Then there was this one time where she surprised the hell out of me and got a critical hit for 35 damage and I was like "wait, what?"

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    You'll get wands that cast spells. Those are awesome.

Arikado on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I have a mage on my team. But I feel like I'm using her wrong.

Every round of combat goes like this -

Me: A + A + A + A on the battle screen. As fast as I can.

Well why not cast spells?

For mage put points into Wand and the unique skill tree.

Especially Wand, enough points into and you'll never run out of MP.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited July 2010
    For the most part, and unless you're doing something specific like stealing or a quest, i found that having your designated healer set on "Focus on Healing" was the best thing.

Basically, the AI can fire healing spells much faster than you would, in reaction to what's happening in the fight.

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, once you get Crackle, you'll be ending fights in one or two turns. That goes all the way down to one when you get the second hit-all spell.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wait do you have to use Whistle before using Sooth Sayer for quest 113? Because the quest SAYS NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING OF THE SORT.
    If it says they need to be enraged, probably. You either need enemies to build tension or be enraged. Honestly, the quests are incredibly vague. It's kind of disappointing.

They have to be enraged. I'm up to 18, I think, but I don't have any abilities the provoke rage unless my Paladin feels like getting a CdG, so I've just been kind of riding that quest for a while.

Lunker wrote: »
    Treasure Maps. When, how, where?

You'll stumble on the first one on your way to Zere Rocks—the dude lying on the ground that's almost impossible to miss. After that, I'm not sure how new ones open up. And if my experience is any sort of general representation, you'll be sorely underleveled and -equipped for the boss of the first grotto you uncover. :(

I've been getting maps for beating grottos. Of course, after I beat the first one the one I got was lv14 and the boss (Shogum) absolutely destroyed me -- twice. Then I beat the first one again and got another lv1 map and have been chaining them together pretty well now. I can beat Equinox and Nemurran(?) pretty handily now, but I still haven't gone back to tackle Shogum again (nor have I found him again).

Although amusingly between Shogum and the final story boss I stumbled into the Regular Churchgoer accolade...

Anyone else love boomerangs? My Ranger (former Martial Artist) is making random encounters into cakewalks with her Starburst Throw ability. Crazy agility + 6 MP = dead enemies more often than not (and if not, the boys quickly clean up the leavings), and she's wearing a Goddess Ring so I'm not even really spending the MP. When it's boss time she becomes my cleric, since her Eaglewing isn't all that hot against a single opponent, although the Firebird Throw is good for getting in there when there's nothing better to do.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    My healer is awesome in "Focus on Healing" because I can pack her bag full of healing items and some MP potions and not have to worry about every dying. She's rocking Mid Heal now so she can full heal my Warrior and Thief to full in a big fight.

Also, I put both my casters in the back row.

Arikado on
    edited July 2010
    Its a laziness thing. Mashing A gets the job done quite handily and requires absolutely zero thought process. Probably should have just made two monks instead, but hey, like I said, I am amused pretty much every time my mage runs in and contributes her minuscule damage.

There was this other time where she ran in and hit the mob for 1 damage and killed it. I laughed at that one. Of course, the rest of the team had already softened the target up, but I thought it was hilarious that the enemy had exactly 1 HP remaining and my mage got the killing blow with a worthless melee attack.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Set Mage to "fight wisely" then.

Dosn't get much lazier then letting the AI control it.

Pata on
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Its a laziness thing. Mashing A gets the job done quite handily and requires absolutely zero thought process. Probably should have just made two monks instead, but hey, like I said, I am amused pretty much every time my mage runs in and contributes her minuscule damage.

With tactics set up for your team, you can be super lazy and only worry about your main guy.

Arikado on
    edited July 2010
    I wish they would have put a tactic in for mages that is somewhat in between use no MP vs. lets see how fast I can drain all the MP this guy has. I thought thats what "fight wisely" would do, but it seems like the only difference between that and "show no mercy" is that once in a great while they'll just attack. Which is lovely since they'll gain back all of 2 MP after blowing 30 MP over the last 6 rounds.

chrono_traveller on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I gave my mage a mighty armlet or some such so she can do more than 1 damage now. The problem with warriors is they're SO SLOW. Even with an agility ring he's slower than the monsters, while everyone else is faster than the monsters, so no chaining bonus. Also, don't bother using a prayer ring for MP. It will disintegrate eventually.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aw, crap. Just found Shogum again... but this is a Lv6, so maybe.
    Shogum wrote:
    Goo day, and welcome to this place, forgotten since slime immemorial... this goomb of so many unknown soldiers. But, though we have been here for a goo many years now, it has become no easier to fogoo the thrill of battle. Come, it is slime! If you ooze your life at my hands, perhaps the seal will be broken, and we will goo free at last!"

Nope... failed again. Man, that guy's annoying. :(

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    I gave my mage a mighty armlet or some such so she can do more than 1 damage now. The problem with warriors is they're SO SLOW. Even with an agility ring he's slower than the monsters, while everyone else is faster than the monsters, so no chaining bonus. Also, don't bother using a prayer ring for MP. It will disintegrate eventually.

I don't think it breaks in battle.

Anyways, my Warrior is also a Thief, so I have some nice agility boosts! And is thus my fastest party member.

Pata on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoa wait, what?

People are recommending AI battling?

I should look into this.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    Make your warrior a thief or martial artist and get those extra agility points.

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Whoa wait, what?

I should look into this.

I mean, its nothing to write home about, but its nice when you're just grinding monsters so you don't get lazy and forget to cast a heal, or having to select the particular ability that will work well against a certain monster type.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    Whoa wait, what?

I should look into this.

The healer AI is good. So good that it will heal your guys depending on what's happening in the round, a thing a human player can't do. It can save your ass on strong monsters.

The only thing the AI is missing is a "Steal everything they have" option, but that would make the game too easy i guess.

quaigy on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wish they would have put a tactic in for mages that is somewhat in between use no MP vs. lets see how fast I can drain all the MP this guy has. I thought thats what "fight wisely" would do, but it seems like the only difference between that and "show no mercy" is that once in a great while they'll just attack. Which is lovely since they'll gain back all of 2 MP after blowing 30 MP over the last 6 rounds.

Dont give your mage a Wand that has an on use as well. That has a higher priority than just attacking. My mage never attacks a monster for mana when I have her on any AI if I have an on use equipped.

Jubal77 on
    edited July 2010
    Whoa wait, what?

I should look into this.

The healer AI is good. So good that it will heal your guys depending on what's happening in the round, a thing a human player can't do. It can save your ass on strong monsters.

The only thing the AI is missing is a "Steal everything they have" option, but that would make the game too easy i guess.

I don't think of that as function of "easy" or "hard", just annoying. Steal everything and the use MP sparingly options I mentioned earlier, and I would have been happy as a lark with the tactics options.

chrono_traveller on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack: I hope you're right about that sleep at Stonway thing. I'm trying to get some more royal soils and lava lumps from Alltrades Island and they just never freaking show up. Or I'll get like, 1-2 when I check the places between last night and 12 hours later. :(

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm almost certain it's supposed to be in-game hours...

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    I'm almost certain it's supposed to be in-game hours...

I really hope not. I wish it was more like TWEWY where you could just cheat and advance your DS clock to force time forward. Waiting between 1-6 hours in game just to get some alchemy items to spawn is evil (for my must-have-it-now personality). And yeah, I realize the items I'm trying to farm now won't matter in 15 levels or so because I'll be needing a higher tier of materials to alchemize the best equipment.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

This discussion has been closed.