As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Green Lantern Thread

1565758596062»

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The writing on that pirate parchment seemed less "my dastardly deeds were foiled" and more "oh my god I'm so scared what they're doing isn't right" which seemed to tap into the human element of Black Hand and not the necrophilia part.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Agent Orange was mostly a bummer because it was really short and therefore super expensive as a trade, and the plot was super insubstantial.

Edit: The new GLC is wicked sweet, btw, and I think Bedard is going to rock it.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2010
    Did they just put three issues into a Hardcover?

TexiKen on
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

A $20 hardcover, yes.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2010
    That's as greedy as Larfleeze duuuurp

TexiKen on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Four issues but still, yeah, pretty shitty.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can see rationalizing an evil act as compassionate, but I think it'd be hard to actually paint compassion in a negative light.

Unless this was a Mr. A story.

There was that short story where Indigo-1 suffocates a Green Lantern with his own power.

That was pretty fucking dark.

Presumably, he would've died much more slowly from his wounds otherwise, but still... just teleport him to a hospital or something.

I could see them being villains if, say, they're confronted with a threat so terrible they don't think anything can stop it, and that it might be kinder to kill everyone themselves first.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

A $20 hardcover, yes.

i just read it last night
    has the 4 issues of agent orange + blackest Night 0 so 5 total instead of the usual six

Thankfully i got the trade on sale but i'm really POed about the whole hardcover release

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I can see rationalizing an evil act as compassionate, but I think it'd be hard to actually paint compassion in a negative light.

Unless this was a Mr. A story.

There was that short story where Indigo-1 suffocates a Green Lantern with his own power.

That was pretty fucking dark.

Presumably, he would've died much more slowly from his wounds otherwise, but still... just teleport him to a hospital or something.

I could see them being villains if, say, they're confronted with a threat so terrible they don't think anything can stop it, and that it might be kinder to kill everyone themselves first.
    Do lanterns feed on brain power or something? Because I swear, it sounds like every lantern corps is populated by morons.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

A $20 hardcover, yes.

i just read it last night
    has the 4 issues of agent orange + blackest Night 0 so 5 total instead of the usual six

Thankfully i got the trade on sale but i'm really POed about the whole hardcover release

To be fair, the main GL book has always been hardcover first, and the wait has always been a year between.

I wouldn't get on the book until Sinestro Corps was in softcover, and that didn't happen until last summer just a few weeks before Blackest Night started.

With Tony Bedard as the new writer, it's possible that GLC could go back to softcover again, but maybe unlikely with GL being everything to DC right now.

HadjiQuest on
  • Undead UnicornUndead Unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well ten bucks Sinestro and gang are going to fight "pilots" of each of the emotional spectrums mascots. Not that I mind that at all...

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010
    Tyler Kirkham new GLC artist

His art isn't really bad, it's just very flat. Sometimes he was impressive on UFF, sometimes not. And those rumors of DC needing Image-like talent to help out bigger names seems to be coming true.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finally decided to see what all the fuss it about and start collecting the current GL and GLC trades. I already had Rebirth, Recharge, and both SCW trades along with the main BN story but I read the first Green Lantern trade yesterday and I really liked it. Despite it taking like years for DC to get both series out in trades (the Rage of the Red Lanterns trade is FINALLY coming out next week) they're still very affordable and well put together.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    glcor_cv53.jpg

So is this guy a Qwardian or something? What happened to them?

Tairu on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They're around. I believe they are currently using the white lantern energy net created by Aliveman in Brightest Day (which for some reason isn't fading) to build a weapon. What with all the weaponeering they do...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited July 2010
    I love the Qwardians, and I'm glad to see them back after so long, and actually doing things on their own for the first time in forever.

HadjiQuest on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah didn't Sinestro have them enslaved for the longest time?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Teehee, his butt is grinding up against Kyle's crotch.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited July 2010
    I'll be getting the Wanted: Hal Jordan and Rage of the Red Lanterns trades this Wednesday so then all I'll need is the Agent Orange hardcover to be fully caught up in the collections. I'm getting the Secret Origin books digitally (legally of course).

wirehead26 on
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'll be getting the Wanted: Hal Jordan and Rage of the Red Lanterns trades this Wednesday so then all I'll need is the Agent Orange hardcover to be fully caught up in the collections. I'm getting the Secret Origin books digitally (legally of course).

Rage is really good,

unfortunately, those other three stories are pretty weak.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    Should I be getting Green Lantern Corps as well? Or maybe just the trades after Sinestro Corps War? I'm mostly interested in finding out more about the other Lantern Corps and I know the Star Sapphires show up in GLC.

wirehead26 on
    edited July 2010
    Isn't it a rule that GLC is better than the main series?

Tairu on
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was a fact, a law in the Book of Oa.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    I might as well get the first two GLC trades since they're really cheap. And after SCW there's only two more to get before Blackest Night.

Oops actually there's the Emerald Eclipse hardcover before BN. Is that a really important story?

wirehead26 on
    edited July 2010
    It explains why the GLC are blindsided by the Black Lanterns, but it's a great story by itself. Gleason goes hella crazy with the art. V'ozz for life, yo.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    Argh there's no solicit for the trade yet. It's like DC prices all their trades pretty cheap but they take forever to come out.

wirehead26 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Emerald Eclipse is definitely worth it. Its one of Tomasi/Gleason's best arcs.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    So whats the opinion on the movie costume.

I'm kind of cranky it doesn't seem to have the black on it, honestly.

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So whats the opinion on the movie costume.

I'm kind of cranky it doesn't seem to have the black on it, honestly.

I think it does, actually. It's just the lighting that makes it seem overly green.

Tairu on
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd on
    edited July 2010
    http://screenrant.com/more-green-lantern-concept-art-sinestro-guardians-rob-43599/green-lantern-sinestro-concept-art/

Look at the sinestro concept art. I figure Hal's has the same amount of black.

Tairu on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »

If it's full green, then it just went from acceptable to awful in my eyes

Lux on
    edited July 2010
    So far I've read through the first three trades of GL (minus the Daniel Acuna-drawn Star Sapphire story which I'll read today) and so far I've enjoyed it. Having not read any GL books before this Johns does a good job explaining past continuity and making it relevant to the current story. I'll start reading GLC next week and I'll re-read SCW and finally get to Blackest Night.

While I still prefer Cosmic Marvel, GL has it's own unique charm but then again I'm biased toward Marvel.

wirehead26 on