As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tournament Off(Team Fortress 2): Canceled due to lack of players and a server

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just signed up, but I doubt I'm anywhere near as hardcore as some of the regulars around here. Still, if there's the equivalent of a pub team, I'd like to give it a shot.

Also, is it possible at all for this to happen on UK/European servers? Living in the middle east kind of rules out playing on American servers.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just registered. This should be entertaining.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice, registered when it was first announced but I'm pretty excited for this.

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So in. I might be better as a fill-in though, depending on what nights are chosen.

schuss on
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you have a rough idea of when this will be run? Over one weekend or many? Evenings or day time? Signing up regardless, this looks like fun!

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    moleface wrote: »
    Do you have a rough idea of when this will be run? Over one weekend or many? Evenings or day time? Signing up regardless, this looks like fun!

It depends on everyone's schedule. I would like to do it over a single weekend, but that probably will not happen. It will probably end up being a week long thing. I want to do my best to acomadate everyone's schedule. If for some reason someone is not able to play, I will keep a list of reservists.

I can tell you the sever will be in the US. East Cost probably.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Calling dibs on Pyro or Medic in whatever team I wind up in.

Burnage on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just signed up

this should be fun

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    registering but setting up a sign up without particular dates is risky, unless you're being lenient in terms of match scheduling and or letting captains set up matches between themselves

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely excited about the tournament.

To make things more interesting, we should set up the draft to be public (in IRC or Ventrillo or something). Not everyone has to be there, but for those who can I think it would be entertaining as hell.

I definitely support the losers bracket, as I would have to be one-and-done in something like this.

For the map choices, is the goal to have each map type represented? If so, maybe we should switch out Dustbowl for a capture point or CTF map, because granary should definitely be in there.

I'm also assuming each match will consist of the teams playing each other on different style maps. If so, do you want to throw a 5th map in there to break ties?

Finally, even on a non-VAC server the idea of messing with cheats scares the crap out of me. I don't want to compromise my account in any way shape or form. Are we sure there's a way to do that?

ShadowofVT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ShadowofVT wrote: »
    Definitely excited about the tournament.

To make things more interesting, we should set up the draft to be public (in IRC or Ventrillo or something). Not everyone has to be there, but for those who can I think it would be entertaining as hell.

I definitely support the losers bracket, as I would have to be one-and-done in something like this.

For the map choices, is the goal to have each map type represented? If so, there's a payload, a capture point, granary (cause it rocks), and a KOTH. Do you want to throw a CTF in there as well? I know it's not everyone's favorite, but it would be interesting with the highlander dynamic thrown in, and would also serve as a 5th map to break ties. I'm assuming each match will consist of the teams playing each other on different style maps?

Finally, even on a non-VAC server the idea of messing with cheats scares the crap out of me. I don't want to compromise my account in any way shape or form. Are we sure there's a way to do that?

I don't like CTF much, so I don't think we will use it.

As for the "Billy Mitchel Approved Memorial Fun Round" (BMAMFR[Ba-Mam-Fer?]) it will be open to volunteers. No set teams. Just the brave enough to cheat on a non-vac server (not me).

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your map choices are bad and you should feel bad. CP maps are the best for everything.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FYI, as a rule, you set a time, and no adjusting them, get fills where they are needed. otherwise you will postpone until everyone is available. and trying to get 18 people available for a game, is impossible.

deveric on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    eh if it was highlander i'd be cool with having dustbowl and pl maps and such

with highlander you can pretty play any map and it will play well

as long as it isn't a huge map

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Your map choices are bad and you should feel bad. CP maps are the best for everything.

Pretty much this, especially for a competitive environment

I'd say just use the CEVO maps and rules for the maps, easier that way. Unless you want to specifically set up how dustbowl is going to work, whether gravelpit is stopwatch or not, is badwater balanced, etc.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i'd come out of retirement for this depending on when it is.

like, sometime in august

iowa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    iowa wrote: »

like, sometime in august

They told him it was one last job...

"We need you iowa, you're the best there is. They don't make them you like anymore."

But little did he know...

"We need you to play medic."

This job...would consume him...

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    iowa wrote: »

like, sometime in august

Iowa can play the frame skipping pyro, like back in SotQ days.

RIP Iowa. we will miss you

deveric on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psh

black dynamite never turns down a call
    spray001.pngspray003.pngspray005.png
    thx ginger

iowa on
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm still a member of some of the Steam groups that were organized around previous tournaments. The Cardboard Tubes and the 67th Fightin' Cocks. I'm ready to win this one!

Ozmodai on
  • Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really like the idea of having different map types and not just a CP-a-thon. Attack/defense would need some sort of timer to determine who won if both attacking teams win (how quickly you win the map). And I know CTF isn't a great setup for normal games, but I think it would be awesome for a tournament. As time runs on, if one team is ahead the other will start getting more and more offensive focused. Plus with highlander you know you won't have a room full of sentry guns to deal with.

ShadowofVT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    stopwatch mode is the way to do a/d maps

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ShadowofVT wrote: »
    I really like the idea of having different map types and not just a CP-a-thon. Attack/defense would need some sort of timer to determine who won if both attacking teams win (how quickly you win the map). And I know CTF isn't a great setup for normal games, but I think it would be awesome for a tournament. As time runs on, if one team is ahead the other will start getting more and more offensive focused. Plus with highlander you know you won't have a room full of sentry guns to deal with.

But you'll still have to deal with one sentry gun, which is one more than there should be for CTF maps.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This should be fun.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nose.jpg

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh, why not. Might be kind of fun

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wow; So far we have 80 people interested. I might have to add another team or 2.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My schedule is horribly inflexible these days, but I'd love to play.

Michael H on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woohoo! At first I thought highlander was done with just eyelanders, but I guess one of each class makes the most sense in competitive events.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Wow; So far we have 80 people interested. I might have to add another team or 2.

Be sure to leave a lot of buffer for subs. Usually at any given match time there are a few people on each team that can't make it for whatever reason. Not sure what the best mechanism for subbing should be but it's going to be needed for sure.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should probably add fields for preferred/secondary class. That should make drafting easier on the captains.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in now. Don't care what class. We need gravelpit in this. I really don't want to play dbowl or goldrush if you can help it. If you want pl pick one of the new maps

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How much fail would it be if I went into this without a headset? My dog ate my bluetooth dealie and I haven't replaced it yet.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i don't plan to have a mic anytime soon and am planning on playing in this

i think me being awesome will make up for it

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    awesome at sucking

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in now. Don't care what class. We need gravelpit in this. I really don't want to play dbowl or goldrush if you can help it. If you want pl pick one of the new maps

Yeah Gravelpit was the most fun to play in last year's tournament. Turbine, however, is a much different story.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also that form really should be redone with a column for class preferences. Maybe top 3 or something? Its gonna suck for the captains other wise

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't plan to have a mic anytime soon and am planning on playing in this

i think me being awesome will make up for it

Yeah I'm still without a mic at present. Just thought I'd point that out too

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This really should not have to be said but, please get a working mic if you are going to be entering the tournament. Voice commands and chat do not work in a competitive setting.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That_Guy wrote: »
    This really should not have to be said but, please get a working mic if you are going to be entering the tournament. Voice commands and chat do not work in a competitive setting.

Probably best to put if the player has a working mic along with their first and second class choices so it will make it easier for captians to choose a good team.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png