As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You come at the king, you best not miss. (Also Boardwalk Empire)

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    my favourite is naturally omar

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    i just love the quote on that one

if they were shirts though I'd probably buy the Omar one

Monoxide on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    those are fantastic

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    seeing pryzbylewski reminded me of how much i liked his character arc from fuckup to decent guy

Orikaeshigitae on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    back to fuckup and back up to decent guy

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    The Wire is my favorite t.v. show of all time. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-watch it all.

Alan Sepinwall does an essay about each episode at http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching It's fascinating reading material.

I love season four if not just for the politics and the general awesomeness that is Tommy Carcetti.

You can tell that Sepinwall is really into the show. His interview with David Simon is fantastic.

That is soooooo good.

Also, oh. my. god.... (non-plot character spoilers)
    I was talking more about more stories with these particular characters. There's clearly, at least based on the last names and the bios on the HBO website, a connection between Randy and Cheese (NOTE: the bios essentially state that Cheese is Randy’s dad, a fact Simon would publicly confirm a few days after we spoke), and that's something you never really got into on the show.

:shock:

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited July 2010
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

that seems pretty fanservicey to me

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm guessin by the end of season 1 they don't actually get barksdale do they?

M.D. on
  • Scipio AfroScipio Afro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    seeing pryzbylewski reminded me of how much i liked his character arc from fuckup to decent guy
    Math teacher facial hair reveal. That was fucking wonderful.

Scipio Afro on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been watching the first season and so far my favorite bit was definitely Mcnulty and Bunk reenacting a shooting at a crime scene in episode...err, 4 or 5. I would post the youtube video but there's some titties in it so I won't.

Anyway, hilarious scene.

Clint Eastwood on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

that seems pretty fanservicey to me
    It was gonna be addressed in season 5, had always been the intention, they're both wagstaff, but they didn't get enough episodes

you can keep all the commas in that post

FAQ on
    edited July 2010
    thanks! I was running low

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, with season 5, I mostly had thought it was just too on the nose / black and white for the show. The one guy on the newspaper, the guy who started making everything up was just too much of a straight-up villain. Every other storyline in the show was always about how it was mainly the system at fault, and you could never really pin it all on any one person

Not that that isn't still the case, it just doesn't seem to come across as well

Granted, I've only seen that season once -- I really should watch it through again

Also, all of the wrap-ups for the main characters were sublime. It was a perfect ending for the series.
    it is about how the system is at fault. the newspaper plot was entirely about how the obsession with pulitzers is destroying newspapers. that guy was a sloppy fabricator, and the whole point was that everyone knew and nobody ultimately was willing to do anything to risk the paper's name or the paper's status with the pulitzer committee.

there are some negatives to the storyline to be sure, as david simon is a wee bit too personally involved to be objective enough when it comes to the sun, but that is definitely not one of them.

satansfingers on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Charlie Brooker did a special one The Wire for the BBC.

It isn't fantastic, but it gives an outside perspective of the TV. It also has the Deacon, who is a stone-cold mother fucker. Watch it if only for him. You'll know the line I'm talking about when you hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXv3IKfqKmI

Also, this David Simon interview at Vice Magazine is great if only because he's in a Hawaiian shirt, which I find to be hilarious.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2010
    Well, you see...
    Do not read Wire spoilers! Get back to your TV/monitor young man and watch these for yourself!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited July 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Well, you see...
    Do not read Wire spoilers! Get back to your TV/monitor young man and watch these for yourself!

:(:(
    I've been watching the first season and so far my favorite bit was definitely Mcnulty and Bunk reenacting a shooting at a crime scene in episode...err, 4 or 5. I would post the youtube video but there's some titties in it so I won't.

Anyway, hilarious scene.

I loved this scene as well.

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    Damnnnn got to episode 10 of season 1
    kima getting shot at the end, fuckkkkkk :(

M.D. on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, this thread again! One day per weekend is my Wire Day

I finished up episode seven of season two today

I'm still in shock from the
    D'Angelo murder

But I love Stringer Bell so much. Such a great character so far.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    One of the weirder side effects of watching The Wire is that you'll see actors in other things, things completely unrelated like Centurion or the newer Beverly Hills or Friday Night Lights and you'll get kind of excited to see that Wallace is getting work.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just odd.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lieutenant Daniels was awesome on Lost

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, see, exaclty, it's bizarre, especially when you go back to something like Lost and you realize that was Daniels the whole damn time.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched this for the first time last year, alone. I re-watched it with a friend who hadn't seen it a month or two ago, while drinking a whole lot of Jameson and Heineken.

It really is the best series I've ever seen.
    Well get on with it, motherf...
    BOOM

Ivar on
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the weirder side effects of watching The Wire is that you'll see actors in other things, things completely unrelated like Centurion or the newer Beverly Hills or Friday Night Lights and you'll get kind of excited to see that Wallace is getting work.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just odd.

My roommate is getting really annoyed with me at how often I will yell out "That's Bunny Colvin!" or "Clarence Royce!" while other things are on our TV.

To the point where, if I say something like that, he just automatically assumes it's a character from The Wire without having seen it

DeliciousTacos on
    edited July 2010
    Daniels is in Fringe, too. It weirds me out.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2010
    My wife, also a Wire fan, now accepts my squeals of joy whenever I spot a Wire actor in a non-Wire part. Although there was the 28 Weeks Later incident when Stringer Bell came on camera commanding the troops.

I do the same thing with Firefly's cast, but there are a lot fewer of them to squee about.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did the same thing when I spotted Carver in Orgazmo.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited July 2010
    One show I think is approaching my love of The Wire-- at least in terms of just fantastic lines-- is The Thick of It.

"You don't fuck me! I am unfuckable! And if you try to fuck me, my ass will grow fangs and fucking snap your cock off!"

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2010
    lt. daniels is so awesome hahaha

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    So I just started Season 5 now, and I hate the fact that McNulty is back to his old self.

Is it just cause he's working these top end crimes / homicide again and no one cares? He had a good thing going for something like a year and a half in season 4 and now it's flushed away.

M.D. on
    edited July 2010
    well, yeah, mcnulty was always someone who cared too much. the vices were pretty clearly drawn to be his coping mechanisms for the grind inherent in doing everything you can for a city that doesn't give a shit. he was more content as a patrolman because he had just sort of quit; he wasn't trying anymore so it didn't matter as much that nobody cared.

satansfingers on
    edited July 2010
    McNulty is just a self-destructive alcoholic. He'd be just as fucked up if he was doing any other job than a police officer. He just can't let himself be happy for too long and now he's probably too old and fucked up to change.

Even though he doesn't change as much as characters like Bubs, Stringer, or Marlow, he's still got a really interesting arc, because it's all about how he's pretty much always going to be the same asshole no matter what happens.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RkcjjY_a0Y

I just finished season four. Emotional finale, though not as dramatic to me as the end of season 3, which was quite tense. Both great though.

Lucid on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hey, that's cool, not marking spoilers for the last season

that's totally fine

YaYa on
    edited July 2010
    McNulty drinks.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    noooooooo why did I click that

YaYa on
    edited July 2010
    is it really a spoiler to say that mcnulty is an asshole?

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited July 2010
    I was still bummed when he
    fucked over the dock patrolwoman. Even his ex-wife told him to cut the shit.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2010
    the thing about wire spoilers is the show is so good that it doesn't even matter. i mean, i had BIG things spoiled for me and i still wasn't bothered. (season 5 spoilers ahoy)
    i read an unrelated article a couple months ago while i was in the midst of season 3 that made a joke about omar getting shot while buying a pack of newports. someone had already told me they were super sad at the second to last episode.

i was just like :|

satansfingers on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I just started Season 5 now, and I hate the fact that McNulty is back to his old self.

Is it just cause he's working these top end crimes / homicide again and no one cares? He had a good thing going for something like a year and a half in season 4 and now it's flushed away.

in regards to mcnulty
    a large part of it seemed to be him feeling guilt for bodie's death. finally convincing him to testify, then having him shot on the corner by marlo's crew was probably something he took personal responsibility for.

dunno if you've gotten to the third episode of season 5 yet, but mcnulty has a pretty awesome quote that i think carver has said before. something along the lines of "marlo doesn't get to win. WE get to win". he's always been driven in the earlier seasons to prove how he's the smartest guy in the room, and sets out to prove it by dicking over anyone in his path, but season 5 has him sliding back on his old self-destructive ways. plus, the alcoholism thing

still love that old scene of him crashing the car while wasted, then going back to try to recreate it

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited July 2010
    There you go, giving a shit when it ain't your turn to give a shit.

Penguin Incarnate on