As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metamodding

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Just curious: does "IF YOU DON'T STOP THIS I'M GONNA CALL THE MODS ON YOU" count as metamodding?

Or is it just extremely irritating?

I personally think it's both: it's an attempt to place a chilling effect on how someone posts without actually having any authority to do so, but I'd like to hear what mods/admins think and if such posts are, in and of themselves, reportable.

I can provide examples if you like, but I'm not trying to point any fingers here, just want to get a general sense of what this falls under.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally I'd put it under "irritating, bordering on thread assasination" if someone is doing something worthy of a mods intervention we've got the "report to mod" button now, there is no reason to threaten somebody with the mod stick. The only reason somebody would toss this out (as far as I can see) is that they know there isn't anything punishable about what is being said, but can't think of a better method to rebute it.

Granted, I am neither mod nor admin but I'll toss in my 2 cents.

see317 on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I think that someone has the right to warn someone that they are going to report them if they don't stop doing something. If I was pissing someone off, I would like them to let me know if they planned on reporting me.

If they do it like a jerk, that is another thing entirely.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Just curious: does "IF YOU DON'T STOP THIS I'M GONNA CALL THE MODS ON YOU" count as metamodding?

Sounds like an opportunity for me to bust out the "sit down in the back seat, son, daddy's driving this forum" quote.

Echo on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Well, I think that someone has the right to warn someone that they are going to report them if they don't stop doing something. If I was pissing someone off, I would like them to let me know if they planned on reporting me.

If they do it like a jerk, that is another thing entirely.

I see the logic in that, but surely if your intentions were noble you would send it as a PM.

I've sent a few PMs here and there, suggesting that people remove links to NSFW stuff or other little things that might get them jailed - not because I wanted to mod them but because it usually seemed like they were heading for a jailing due to laziness or ignorance and I wanted to help them catch it.

Of course I've gone through my dickish phases too. ;-)

Drez on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just tell them to fucking do it. Call their bluff.

Thanatos on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Just tell them to fucking do it. Call their bluff.

I've done that, and I've also said "no, you don't get to metamod" which is, I guess, kind of hypocritical because telling them that they are metamodding is kinda metamodding in and of itself. :P

So, yeah, I guess I'll just tell them to go for it in the future.

Drez on