As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can buy respect

with my cash

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I can buy respect

with my cash

Touche

DarkWarrior on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can buy respect

with my cash

People will always know. They will stare at you and whisper about you behind you're back. It's not about the money.

Solar on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    With that kind of cash, he can hire people to watch for people talking behind his back, and punch them in the face while screaming "RESPECT!"

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited July 2010
    Rumour time
    Another Batman 3 casting rumor has surfaced. They grow like weeds. Most of them are wrong so treat this with extreme skepticism: A site called Hollywoodlife claims Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Batman director Christopher Nolan’s first choice to play The Riddler in his sequel to The Dark Knight.

As evidence they offer only an unnamed source whom they claim is close to the director. Weighted against this rumor however is the fact that Nolan is still pretty busy releasing his new movie Inception and probably hasn’t even really started working on another Batman movie yet. Even if they had, they still don’t have a script. I doubt they’ve even decided which villain they’ll use. This rumor seems as unlikely as all the others.

But oh how I want it to be likely.

Levitt belongs in Nolan’s Batman universe. He’s a brilliant actor who could really nail something like this. Personally I’d rather see him playing Clayface, Riddler’s already been done once in the Batman world and it’d be nice to see them tackling someone different (in fact Nolan has already hinted that he might avoid any already used villains). Unfortunately since Clayface has unbelievably weird superpowers (he’s made of clay, almost literally), brilliant character though he is, probably doesn’t fit very well into Nolan’s ultra-realistic Batman world. If Levitt really did end up being Riddler, I won’t complain. He’ll be brilliant.

DarkWarrior on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rumour time
    Another Batman 3 casting rumor has surfaced. They grow like weeds. Most of them are wrong so treat this with extreme skepticism: A site called Hollywoodlife claims Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Batman director Christopher Nolan’s first choice to play The Riddler in his sequel to The Dark Knight.

As evidence they offer only an unnamed source whom they claim is close to the director. Weighted against this rumor however is the fact that Nolan is still pretty busy releasing his new movie Inception and probably hasn’t even really started working on another Batman movie yet. Even if they had, they still don’t have a script. I doubt they’ve even decided which villain they’ll use. This rumor seems as unlikely as all the others.

But oh how I want it to be likely.

Levitt belongs in Nolan’s Batman universe. He’s a brilliant actor who could really nail something like this. Personally I’d rather see him playing Clayface, Riddler’s already been done once in the Batman world and it’d be nice to see them tackling someone different (in fact Nolan has already hinted that he might avoid any already used villains). Unfortunately since Clayface has unbelievably weird superpowers (he’s made of clay, almost literally), brilliant character though he is, probably doesn’t fit very well into Nolan’s ultra-realistic Batman world. If Levitt really did end up being Riddler, I won’t complain. He’ll be brilliant.

Regarding Clayface not working in the Batman universe, I think Sandman in Spider-man 3 proved you could make those type of powers work in live action.

If only Sandman wasn't the only thing worth a crap in Spidey 3.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2010
    Its not talking about ability to render powers its about Clayface working in the fairly realistic universe that Nolan has made, Ra's for instance has implied immortality but theres no mention of Lazarus pits or actual immortality.

DarkWarrior on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Look

I already got paid

I ain't give a shit

You've been paid in cash. But have you been paid the respect you are due?

Are we still talking about Kirkman? because being gently told to "go away now" is about as respectful as he deserves from darabount.

Bloods End on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First animated footage of The Goon.

Dear Lord this looks utterly and completely fantastic in every way.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2010
    okay now the DC movie list

The Dark Knight
    Return of Swamp Thing
    The Losers
    Batman (1966)
    Superman
    It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
    Road to Perdition
    Stardust
    Batman Returns
    Superman 2
    Swamp Thing
    Batman and Robin
    Watchmen
    Batman Forever
    Superman Returns
    Batman (1989)
    Supergirl
    V for Vendetta
    Batman Begins
    Constantine
    Wonder Woman (1974 Backdoor Pilot Movie)
    Superman 3
    The League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    Steel
    Jonah Hex
    Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
    The Spirit
    Catwoman

A History of Violence may or may not count since DC reprinted the book

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its not talking about ability to render powers its about Clayface working in the fairly realistic universe that Nolan has made, Ra's for instance has implied immortality but theres no mention of Lazarus pits or actual immortality.

That would be my problem with Clayface as a Nolan-Batman villain.

JGL would be fantastic as Clayface or the Riddler, though. Or, really, anyone, because JGL is fantastic. Knowing that Nolan likes to reuse actors, I'd say there is a decent chance that he gets to play something in Batman 3.

Tomanta on
    edited July 2010
    God damnt TLB, seriously, Batman and Robin?

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2010
    man that movie is entertaining as hell

if you can watch that movie and not laugh the whole time

you have no soul

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, as much as I love Superman, I never really liked his movies. I mean Superman I & II were good but not as good as other superhero movies.

I did like the Superboy syndicated show from the 80's, and the Superboy and Krypto cartoon that only had a few episodes and of course the excellent Fleischman Superman shorts they showed alongside Popeye episodes.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    You would love It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    It's a musical.

That might work for a pansy like Batman

But never Superman.

It's like that Five For Fighting song that completely misses the point of Superman. God, the Skee-Lo Superman song is better in that sense, no wonder people would think JMS' interpretation of Superman would actually work this is ridiculous.

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tex that entire last paragraph just makes no sense

Furu on
    edited July 2010
    I know, I know.

It's just, Superman is always getting picked on, and it just hurts when people don't really know what to do with him. Superman Returns? Superman in a musical? Fucking JMS' Superman? Superman getting bad kryptonite and not shaving but he only grows stubble? He can't even be called Superboy in cartoons these days (the Legion) because DC don't care about him.

Why does some rich yankee playboy with parent issues get all the attention while the hard working country boy from the south gets bupkis?

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    the problem with Superman is he isn't Silver Age Superman anymore

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    No, he's better. Which means sorry 50 year old comic creators, the Superman love triangle is over with, Luthor isn't some fat scientist, their shouldn't be 100 different kinds of Kryptonite, and he knows what a damn cheesesteak is.

I've always wondered if Man of Action, the Rouleau/Kelly/Casey/Seagle braintrust behind Ben 10 ever tried to sell DC on a Superman cartoon that they would write. Because it would have been the best.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    Look I like my Superman stories being him doing crazy shit because he had the the free time. Seriously, in a world with Superman, there wouldn't be that much crime so he could do the zany shit like go to space for no reason or practice his super-weaving

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    He should be saving the earth from the moon becoming sentient and trying to kamikaze itself, yes. Superman not really being super? Nah.

And what was up with that JLU episode where he beats the shit out of Captain Marvel for no real reason other than Billy's naivety? I mean damn son, Pa Kent didn't raise you to be like that.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    He is being super

That is no normal weaving!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People will suspend disbelief if there's sufficient forewarning that crazy shit will happen, and if that crazy shit happens to be awesome. I'll buy whatever nonsense science Nolan gives me if it means I get to see JGL freaking out as his face melts like a candle.

Really, my only issue is that Clayface doesn't have the personality needed to make him a major villain or tie him into Bruce's personal and costumed life, so they'd have to create a new personality and motivation for him in order to make his conflict with Batman personal.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    I could see Clayface as controlling a smaller city because no one can ever be sure if they're speaking to the real person (a big brother vibe), and Batman cleans it up.

This depends on if he leaves the city or stays in Gotham, which could go either way.

I actually think Bruce leaving the city and finding Dick Grayson in another New York city would be a nice touch, but it's got that immovable elephant in the room regarding the previous bat franchise that hinders possible options for this film.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have trouble getting excited for Nolan Batman 3 just because he already used up the two most dangerous Bat-villains (Joker and Ra's), as well as the second-tier ones with the best backstories (Two-Face as Dent and Prison Shrink as Scarecrow).

They also had the guy from James as Zsasz, which is bonus points.

I like the Riddler, but I can't imagine how they would ever make him as engrossing as Joker or Ra's, or if they could even give him any sort of moral quandary to at least ground the film with the others.

As far as the other villains go, I could see Bane, Firefly, or Deadshot being used somewhere, possibly just as background.

Hush might make a pretty good villain if they overhauled his entire history far beyond anything seen in the comics so far.

HadjiQuest on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I have trouble getting excited for Nolan Batman 3 just because he already used up the two most dangerous Bat-villains (Joker and Ra's), as well as the second-tier ones with the best backstories (Two-Face as Dent and Prison Shrink as Scarecrow).

They also had the guy from James as Zsasz, which is bonus points.

I like the Riddler, but I can't imagine how they would ever make him as engrossing as Joker or Ra's, or if they could even give him any sort of moral quandary to at least ground the film with the others.

As far as the other villains go, I could see Bane, Firefly, or Deadshot being used somewhere, possibly just as background.

Hush might make a pretty good villain if they overhauled his entire history far beyond anything seen in the comics so far.

If you have Riddler, you have to have a second villain who is hiring him as distraction/dealing with Batman. And it would work too. He fits the mold of grandiose psychological villain of the past two movies. But the backer would have to be that much more sinister.

Bane would work as the backing villain. So would Penguin.

MastaP on
    edited July 2010
    Condiment King as a comic relief villain who gets taken out in 1 minute. Kind of a meta joke about how Batman brings forward more villains than we saw before he existed.

TexiKen on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2010
    Guys, guys.

Time to rock out with your cock out.

Behind the Scenes of The Walking Dead

Poor Kirkman, has to take Darabonts changes and smile.

yes, poor kirkman, he has to let a respected director take his dumb zombie comic and adapt it for the network that birthed mad men and breaking bad

poor, poor robert kirkman

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2010
    okay now the DC movie list

The Dark Knight
    Return of Swamp Thing
    The Losers
    Batman (1966)
    Superman
    It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman
    Road to Perdition
    Stardust
    Batman Returns
    Superman 2
    Swamp Thing
    Batman and Robin
    Watchmen
    Batman Forever
    Superman Returns
    Batman (1989)
    Supergirl
    V for Vendetta
    Batman Begins
    Constantine
    Wonder Woman (1974 Backdoor Pilot Movie)
    Superman 3
    The League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    Steel
    Jonah Hex
    Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
    The Spirit
    Catwoman

A History of Violence may or may not count since DC reprinted the book

batman (1966) is about four spots too low on this list

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2010
    TLB, the only thing I don't get about that list is Batman Begins.

Why did you place it so low?

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    because batman begins really isn't very good

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2010
    But below V for Vendetta? That's just spiteful.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did Batman Begins have Natalie Portman in it? No? Didn't think so.

Lucascraft on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the problem with Superman is he isn't Silver Age Superman anymore

SilverAgeGrounded.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2010
    I don't get the hate for Batman Begins. I still think it's way ahead of most Superhero movies, with a few possible exceptions (the first Superman, and possibly X2).

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    Katie Holmes, weak evil plan, the League of Shadows as a nonsensical organization of vigilantes, cumbersome Bat costume, and, lastly, "I don't have to save you."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i think Hush could actually work rather well in Nolan's more realistic take on the series, just as long as they go with Dini's interpretation of the character instead of Loeb's

also, Harley could work in theory

Diablo Fett on
    edited July 2010
    They need to set at least one film in Arkham, and then use that to feature an ensemble cast of villains.

My inclination would be to have Joker serve as a leader to a bunch of disturbed, non-violent inmates, then let his execution trigger their transformation into proper villains who use their particular psychological defects to their advantage. They then take over the Asylum.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BibliomikeBibliomike Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Superman is always getting picked on, and it just hurts when people don't really know what to do with him. Superman Returns? Superman in a musical?

I think I get where you're coming from, but I do want to give you some good news. You maybe have heard that the Dallas Theater Center has "revised" the Superman musical from the 1960s. I got to see the production over the July 4th weekend and, believe me, they *do* know what to do with Superman. Yeah, sure, he sings -- it is a musical after all -- but he is heroic and inspiring and he flies (hell, he even does a somersault in mid-air!). The new story is very faithful to the Byrne-era reboot of the character (despite being set in 1939 -- neat trick, that! They've really hit on the classic beats of the character). Lois Lane is great (a far better characterization than Kate Bosworth's!), Clark Kent is played as the mild-mannered, yes, but smart and non-klutzy reporter, just like George Reeves played him; and, where DC wouldn't let them use Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen, there are still very clear analogues for those characters who are entertaining in their own right.

If you can all get yourself to Dallas before this Sunday (time's ticking away!), believe me, you will not be disappointed.

And, no, I am not affiliated with the show in any official way -- just a Superman fan who saw it and fell in love with it right away. Catch it before it's gone!

Bibliomike on