As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Hephsatuersssdfs Flame. I need them. I don't see any mobs that drop them in the guide. I can see one in a chest in a dungeon coming up, but besides that, nothing. Ideas?

I hear a certain pot will poop them out if you feed it the right stuff.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Hephsatuersssdfs Flame. I need them. I don't see any mobs that drop them in the guide. I can see one in a chest in a dungeon coming up, but besides that, nothing. Ideas?

I hear a certain pot will poop them out if you feed it the right stuff.

Ah dammit! I shoulda thought of that. Time to consult the guide!

Esh on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just to note, I bought the Miracle Sword yesterday from the DQVC and I almost feel like I'm cheating. This thing doesn't just heal for 5 hmp or something like that, one time it healed me for almost 70 hp. I don't care enough to unequip it, but damn.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited July 2010
    Man, seriously? Exclusive map at Comic-con that makes it impossible to get for 90% of the US?

Dracil on
    edited July 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    Just to note, I bought the Miracle Sword yesterday from the DQVC and I almost feel like I'm cheating. This thing doesn't just heal for 5 hmp or something like that, one time it healed me for almost 70 hp. I don't care enough to unequip it, but damn.

You can also learn miracle slash and do the same thing when you need to heal. I heard it stacks. Also tension = lol. I healed like 143 damage at 50% tension on a boss.

Dracil on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if I've just been super lucky or what, but I ended up with a Miracle Sword and both rings that heal HP and MP a dungeon or two before the end of the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, seriously? Exclusive map at Comic-con that makes it impossible to get for 90% of the US?

That is some bullshit right there. I mean I live in CA but I'm not driving four hours down to Comic-con for a DQ9 map. They might make it available later at gamestop or something.

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    You've got to be kidding me. Even after posting about the lucky accolade requiring repeated numbers on the battle count, I forgot...and I'm saved with 1003 battles.

108 more I guess...

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, I was going off of sleep mode. I reset and have 997. yesssss

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A cool thing I just read about in the guide and hadn't known.

There are legacy bosses that you fight in grottoes with only one level and when you beat them you can give them all the experience you would have earned if you want to, so they level up and get more powerful, and hence can drop better stuff and become worth more. Heh.

Athaedos on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    <PtBorders> hellz yeah
    <PtBorders> and DQ4
    <PtBorders> and DQ5
    <PtBorders> and DQ6
    <PtBorders> and DQM Joker
    <PtBorders> and Rocket Slime
    <SrDragoon> Forget all those -- Joker 2 is the game to get
    <SrDragoon> Real men play the Japanese version and wing it ;)
    <SrDragoon> heh, rank 18050 in Joker 2 thanks to some tough starter rounds. I'm glad I'm not dead last at least har har
    <SrDragoon> haha, I got all rank 19000+ for today
    <[KiTA]> SrDragoon: Did you import, or did you "import"
    <SrDragoon> import
    <SrDragoon> SHIT
    <SrDragoon> I had one hell of a first round
    <SrDragoon> Lost 2 of my 3 guys in the first round, then rezzed one of them
    <SrDragoon> lost the rezzer, then couldn't get hit for about 3 rounds .. 2 of those rounds pummeled him for 800+ each and he STILL lived
    <SrDragoon> But he was CRITTING my ass for 800+ EACH (he was a 3-slot)
    <SrDragoon> so of course when he finally DID hit me, it was a crit.. I have been owned yet again =)
    <SrDragoon> but man if I could've lived another round and delivered a 3rd crit to him I probably would've won...
    <SrDragoon> here's what I can't understand. I have the gigaslash skill, but he DOESN'T USE IT!
    <SrDragoon> I don't believe it
    <SrDragoon> I was on track to losing all 5 matches
    <SrDragoon> but I won the 5th one on a CRIT to the GemSlime -- those don't have much HP on them so he was immediately down to one monster early =)
    <SrDragoon> I find it hard to believe that ALL 5 of those matches were A) lower in Rank then me and B) only won ONE match last night
    <SrDragoon> especially matches 1 and 3 -- same monster
    <SrDragoon> So, either they had bad luck or ... well bad luck =)
    <SrDragoon> guess I'll try my luck in some real one on ones
    <SrDragoon> what the hell is this? A move that negates your turn? Not the paralyze or sleep spells, just NULLs your turn completely. And there is no apparent resistance to it?
    <[KiTA]> what?
    <SrDragoon> there's a move that the Joker lineage used to negate the turn I was going to take
    <SrDragoon> It's kinda like an Amnesia move
    <SrDragoon> but what's weird is, usually a move does a check, and if it succeeds, the monsters "react" to it -- like taking a physical/magical hit, their bodies move in reaction to it
    <SrDragoon> but this move never did that
    <SrDragoon> and the round was immediately over afterward -- the other two monsters already took their turn
    <SrDragoon> so if your monsters are FAST enough, they can completely dominate the fight and you wouldn't react at all..
    <SrDragoon> I think I'm going to have to inject a speed skillset to all 3 of them and then mate them to get the speedSP skillset
    <Pendy> bow chicka wow wow!
    <[KiTA]> I thought... you couldn't use the Joker monsters in the tourneys
    <[KiTA]> I might import real quick I guess
    <[KiTA]> I imported Joker1 but never fiddled with it
    <[KiTA]> Where's the best place to import?
    <SrDragoon> Play-asia
    <SrDragoon> I'll have to check on the ROUND matches where you register your team
    <SrDragoon> but these are the REAL one-on-one fights you can play vs other people LIVE in wi-fi
    <[KiTA]> Oh wow!
    <[KiTA]> live tourneys
    <SrDragoon> Yep
    <SrDragoon> I have a dismal record
    <SrDragoon> 5-30
    <SrDragoon> I'll try to remember tomorrow night if Joker can be registered in the pre-set tourney
    <SrDragoon> but live, oh yeah, ANYTHING goes
    <SrDragoon> People are choosing the 3-slot monsters because some of them apparently have high crit %
    <SrDragoon> but low agility
    <SrDragoon> I don't want to "cheat" though by reading breeding guides... May have to though at this rate.. Need to experiment more I guess
    <SrDragoon> *sigh*
    <SrDragoon> Ramia just two-hit me TWICE in one round. 1000 total ... DEAD
    <SrDragoon> Of course, she is a 3-slotter
    <[KiTA]> nice
    <[KiTA]> I forget, did Joker have Furigana on top of the Kanji?
    <SrDragoon> no it didn't
    <SrDragoon> this one doesn't either
    <SrDragoon> If I had a video camera, I bet I could WOW youtubers into wanting this game.. By getting owned ;)
    <SrDragoon> ok it's time to quit
    <SrDragoon> I just got the same guy (Ramia) THREE TIMES
    <SrDragoon> I just forfeit on the last one
    <[KiTA]> So as far as I can tell, the current leader on DQMJ is using 3 rank F monsters with "Cleric" -- the Kingslime skillset, plus 2 Uber stat ups.
    <[KiTA]> Probably Uber HP and Uber Defense
    <[KiTA]> Cause all 3 of his monsters have gigaslash, omniheal, and the thunder spells

Apparently DQMJ2 has live online multiplayer, in addition to live local wireless multiplayer. So they listened to our one major complaint with DQ9 and added NWFC. This makes me extremely hopeful for when (if) we get DQMJ2, DQMBRV, and DQX.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    DQMJ2 was released in April though, and there's been not a word of an NA release.

Of course DQ9 was released a full year ago, but I thought we knew it was coming to America before that as well.

I suppose success with DQ9 might lead to DQMJ2...

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010
    Gilder wrote: »

That is some bullshit right there. I mean I live in CA but I'm not driving four hours down to Comic-con for a DQ9 map. They might make it available later at gamestop or something.

I'm fairly certain these exclusive maps are something you can get in game rarely off other grotto bosses in game. For example, supposedly the bosses of the grottos has a chance to drop a cameo boss map. I also heard that the cameo bosses (you get one, Baramos, in the post game by doing a quest I believe) drop other cameo boss maps.

Now that I'm funded (I can make 99 Gold Mails) I might start in on the postgame stuff.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    So apparently cameo bosses are also given in wi-fi quests, so I guess it's not as big a deal as I originally thought.

Dracil on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warding up...die! die! Damn it you metal slimes!

By comparison the Scarewolves were easy.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man I just cannot stop playing this game

Quick question, where can you find the drackals needed for the kill quest that the gladiator on an eastern island? I take it it's a specific type of dracky?

Also how in the heck are people making gigasteel armor so early? I haven't been able to find any of the needed 'steel' equipment.

gnodab on
    edited July 2010
    DQMJ2 was released in April though, and there's been not a word of an NA release.

Of course DQ9 was released a full year ago, but I thought we knew it was coming to America before that as well.

I suppose success with DQ9 might lead to DQMJ2...

Nintendo won't help them with DQMJ2, as it's a direct competitor to Pokemon 5 (and pretty much better than it in every way). In fact, I almost wonder if "You won't release DQMJ2" was part of the "We'll publish DQ9 for ya" agreement.

Although DQMJ2 specifically has support for international users, so it's probably a no brainer.

KiTA on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gnodab wrote: »

Quick question, where can you find the drackals needed for the kill quest that the gladiator on an eastern island? I take it it's a specific type of dracky?

Also how in the heck are people making gigasteel armor so early? I haven't been able to find any of the needed 'steel' equipment.

3) Full plate armour
    = Iron armour x 1 + Iron ore x 1 + Royal soil x 1

4) Gigasteel armour
    = Full plate armour x 1 + Iron ore x 2 + Hephaestus' flame x 1

19) Hephaestus' flame
    = Lava lump x 1 + Royal soil x 1 + Toad oil x 1

Toad oil: Blastoad, Expload, Gastropog, Giddy gastropog, Gloomy gastropog,
    Mortoad

Royal soil: Barriearthenwarrior, Drastic drackal, Mad moai, Ragin' Contagion,
    Terror troll

Pretty much everything you need can be made/found at Alltrades & Zere. Or not far from it.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

Nintendo won't help them with DQMJ2, as it's a direct competitor to Pokemon 5 (and pretty much better than it in every way). .

DQM and Pokemon are too different to be compared really.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited July 2010
    I know if I buy one I won't feel it as necessary to buy the other.

UncleSporky on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bah, can't find the damned wifi dongle I bought years ago and without it I just ain't in the mood to fuck around with this game. Got back into Swords, though, and managed to beat it and a chunk of the post-game stuff. Fun fix for 15 bucks and it'll last you about as many hours, but whomever came up with the last four post-game battles is an asshole.

Sorenson on
    edited July 2010
    I think I'm on the very last fight now, unless they manage to throw in yet another boss. I've left and saved and returned to the final dungeon like 4 times now, it's ridiculous.

UncleSporky on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got an accolade for equipping a Thief's turban, Rogue's robes, Lockpicker's mitts, Nicker's knickers, and Bandit's boots. Is that just for equipping any set of class-exclusive equipment, or does it have to be those particular ones?

jothki on
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    I just got an accolade for equipping a Thief's turban, Rogue's robes, Lockpicker's mitts, Nicker's knickers, and Bandit's boots. Is that just for equipping any set of class-exclusive equipment, or does it have to be those particular ones?

Specific ones. There are a bunch of them.

Dracil on
    edited July 2010
    Where the heck can I find White Tigertaurs and Hocus Chimeras?

Pata on
  • gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gnodab wrote: »

3) Full plate armour
    = Iron armour x 1 + Iron ore x 1 + Royal soil x 1

4) Gigasteel armour
    = Full plate armour x 1 + Iron ore x 2 + Hephaestus' flame x 1

19) Hephaestus' flame
    = Lava lump x 1 + Royal soil x 1 + Toad oil x 1

Toad oil: Blastoad, Expload, Gastropog, Giddy gastropog, Gloomy gastropog,
    Mortoad

Royal soil: Barriearthenwarrior, Drastic drackal, Mad moai, Ragin' Contagion,
    Terror troll

Pretty much everything you need can be made/found at Alltrades & Zere. Or not far from it.

ah, badass. thanks. hopefully gigasteel looks as cool as platinum gear does.

i wish i could look at that alchemy guide at work :|

gnodab on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's going to be so great having this for Comic Con, I can't wait. I'm only 2 hours in, so I haven't gotten to Tag Mode yet; is there a limit to how many maps you can collect at a time?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pata wrote: »

North of Swinedimples and on the Cliffs of Lonliness (Zere Rocks), respectively.

Hocus Chimeras are also in the desert, but they don't actually appear on the map.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

North of Swinedimples and on the Cliffs of Lonliness (Zere Rocks), respectively.

Hocus Chimeras are also in the desert, but they don't actually appear on the map.

hocus chimeras are on the island just west of bloomingdale.

Blood Drive on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm confused with a quest to collect "hocus chimera feathers". They only seem to ever give me chimera wings, whether I steal them or earn them from post-battle treasure chests.

Is a "hocus chimera feather" just a higher rarity drop? Should I just keep trying?

Captain K on
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    Is a "hocus chimera feather" just a higher rarity drop? Should I just keep trying?

Just keep killing them, it is random and can be a pain in the arse.

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I finally unlocked the Ranger class but I can't find any bows for sale, nor can I alchemize any. Halp!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Play more, they show up.

I don't really like em, prefer boomerangs for rangers.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone give me some general starting out advice. I can finally make my own party and I went with a monk, a priest, and a wizard.
    I always have so much trouble trying to figure out shit like this. It took me an hour to decide what my character would look like. D:

Oh and how do I apply skill points when I'm not leveling up? Or can I only apply them when I level up?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seth Green chose Warrior.

Best advice I can give is to never sell anything.

Also some good skills for those classes:

Hero/Minstrel: Fans

Monk:The monk only one gives you psyche up, claws is good for weapons.

Mage: Mage special and wands are really good, Toxic Dagger is good for unlocking ranger later.

Priest: SPEAR then Wand.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm a big fan of fisticuffs

in misc you can allocate skill points whenever

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So while I was at work today, I leafed through the strategy guide and was rather irritated with Brady Games.

Why the crap did the put a giant "?" as the image for all of the uber weapons of each category. Its a fucking strategy guide. Its supposed to spoil things like that. I'm not gonna buy the guide for that very reason, even if it does have other useful information.

Lucascraft on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hyup

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just about all strategy guides are good for anymore

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/2/26/

Aliasunknown on
    edited July 2010
    The Priest in Batsureg is the best priest.

Pata on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The guide for VIII wasn't bad. I liked the one for FF XII too. I think those are the only ones I've bought in years, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
This discussion has been closed.