As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MLB] Greatest Owner of All Time Dead at 80; Greatest Stadium Announcer at 99.

1575859606163»

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not just money but it definitely helps and doing it through the draft the way the Rays have is really fucking hard and uncommon these days. The Rays did lose to a far wealthier Phillies team in the World Series as well.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/baseballs_revenue_sharing_problem

Yep, its definitely Steinbrenner's fault that other teams care less about winning and more about profits.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Boston hadn't embraced the Steinbrenner model, the Red Sox would still be looking at a 92-year WS drought.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2010

Yep, its definitely Steinbrenner's fault that other teams care less about winning and more about profits.
    One reason that some clubs fail to improve is that they don't use their revenue sharing dollars to attract free agents or to retain homegrown players.

Wealthier teams being able to offer top free agents more massive, long-term contracts make this much more difficult than the article suggests. Cliff Lee has found himself become a journeyman because Cleveland and Seattle would not be able to afford to offer him as much as any of the top 5 or so payroll teams.

Yes Cleveland probably could have put more effort into getting better returns on both of their former Cy Young award winners but a combination of New York money and a shitty economic climate has made it impossible for the Indians to take steps other than minimize losses right now.
    If Boston hadn't embraced the Steinbrenner model, the Red Sox would still be looking at a 92-year WS drought.

Without a salary cap and some FEMA money a small-market team in an economically struggling city like the New Orleans Saints might never have won a Super Bowl despite being ranked #22 in overall net worth.

I am also not sure how you are refuting my point about the Steinbrenner method being what's wrong with MLB.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nintendo just needs to stop being stingy.

Also, they need to make an Ichiro themed game.

GRMike on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't worry, all they need to do is put another MLB team in New York and that will instantly fix everything that's wrong with baseball. A salary cap won't help, salary floor won't help, nope, nothing else.

Or so I've heard.

Schide on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Steinbrenner's over spending wasn't what bothered me about him, I thought he was a jerk and a baby. I think his sons have continued that legacy.

With that said, I understand the loss this is for the Yankees and baseball in general. I'm not glad he's dead by any means.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/04/19/forbes-and-yankees/#more-3299

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    somehow the Rays got to the World Series despite being in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox

and somehow the Mets can't do jack shit despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league

it's not just money

joe mddon kinda helped

PiptheFair on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Steinbrenner's over spending wasn't what bothered me about him, I thought he was a jerk and a baby. I think his sons have continued that legacy.

With that said, I understand the loss this is for the Yankees and baseball in general. I'm not glad he's dead by any means.

Steinbrenner was "The Boss" when it came to baseball, but he was super nice outside of it. Very involved in his communities and scholarships n' such both in New York and Tampa. He was actually a super nice guy.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can we change the thread title to: [MLB] Yankees Farm System Pays Off: Steinbrenner Dead

NotASenator on
  • ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can we change the thread title to: [MLB] Yankees Farm System Pays Off: Steinbrenner Dead

Haha holy shit.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
    edited July 2010
    For $1.4M more George would have owned the Cleveland Indians instead.

Butters on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Butters wrote: »

dodged a bullet there then

PiptheFair on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »

Haha holy shit.

nope.avi

Zen Vulgarity on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well somebody can certainly make a new thread with that title.

Schide on
    edited July 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

dodged a bullet there then

Yes and no. His family made their fortune in Ohio. Had he established himself in Cleveland a lot of things may have been different.

Butters on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not unless I ask for it first!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know how the Twins can go from taking 3 out of 4 from the White Sox to getting blown out by the Indians

how do Cubs fans deal with such crippling disappointment?

Hjorvarthr on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know the Indians can play some good baseball. I've been to two CLE@TB games this year and both times they went into extra innings.

They seem like hard luck losers.

Jasconius on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2010
    well after taking three of four from the phillies, the cubs got blown out by houston

mostly I just kind of laugh because it's kind of a relief to be able to give up on the season in july instead of having them implode in october

DJ Eebs on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Indians probably don't spend enough, and never hang on to their good players. I don't follow their finances enough to comment on it much further, but that certainly doesn't help them. Wasn't too long ago, though, that they were a ballin team.

thanimations on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watch my first inning of the Astros all season and they have an amazing first. What have I been missing?
    I know, I know.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited July 2010
    What the hell happened to the Astros, anyways? The Mariners and Cubs might be the only teams more incompetent at spending money on players right now.

thanimations on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    McLane doesn't want to rebuild, thinks he can just keep adding stuff and hopefully they'll get better? That's why there's a chance Roy Oswalt might not get traded again.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited July 2010
    That's just awful.

thanimations on
    edited July 2010
    What the hell happened to the Astros, anyways? The Mariners and Cubs might be the only teams more incompetent at spending money on players right now.

They're old, and they've got possibly the worst farm system in the majors. They're going to be terrible for a long fucking time.

And somehow, the Pirates are still 5.5 games worse.

And somehow, the Cubs are like, 2-20 against the both of them.

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2010
    The Pirates have their own special brew of awfulness.

I've been really impressed with how quick the Padres have turned themselves around. Great pitching and just good enough offense, and they're in a good position to win the NL West.

thanimations on
    edited July 2010
    not that the padres don't have great young pitchers or anything

but pitching in that stadium has to be a pretty big confidence booster

DJ Eebs on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    guess the cubs pushed lou over the edge

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.