As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    The Priest in Batsureg is the best priest.

After getting to that priest, I no longer want to use any other, especially to log out.

I've been really taking my time with this game, trying out different classes and weapons and I'm pretty addicted to the whole alchemy and moneymaking thing. After reading a few of the end game accolades, it sort of kills me that I won't be getting the good ones and every now and then I think about restarting.

Arcus on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Priest in Batsureg is the best priest, yo.

Fixed that for you.

You know, there's one thing that's kinda annoying, and that's the few number of quests you can do at once. Post-game, whenever i go somewhere, there's like 2 or 12 quests waiting for me.

I don't want to choooose :(

quaigy on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Priest in Batsureg is the best priest.
    I prefer the one in Dourbridge, personally. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The guide isn't amazing but I've enjoyed having it. Certainly useful for all the quests, making sure you didn't miss anything, and especially the alchemy recipes.

Just finished the story. For a while I was actually sad because I enjoyed going through it so much and I was very satisfied with the length and epicness of everything. Then I realized I had a rusty sword I could make into a badass weapon for my gladiator, and officially commenced with the post-game/continuing saga. This is definitely my favorite RPG in a long time. It's not got an amazing story but it's done damned well and so is the entire rest of the game. I look forward to all the grotto and new quest adventures to come :). Really is the new Diablo II for me.

Athaedos on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, lame.

The Mortamor (デスタムーア Desutamuua, Deathtamoor, DeathMore, DeathTamer, etc etc) map that is being given out at ComicCon? The Japanese just got it on the 9th of July via a Wifi quest. Since they're releasing all the wifi stuff *exactly* 1 year to the day after the Japanese got it, we won't see the wifi quest until July 9th, 2011.

Edit: Ah, got my boss monsters mixed up and whatnot, actually. Apparently on July 9th, 2010 they released the new Battle Monsters Road game, which if you are in Tag mode near when someone has unlocked the BMR bonus fight against Mortamor (or any other bonus boss), you get the map. Kinda a neat way to get gamers to hang out and play DS at the arcade, really.

The wifi for quest 158 was Jan 8th, 2010, so we'll see it Jan 8th, 2011.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    So, what and where is enemy 66?
    harvest wrote: »
    So I finally unlocked the Ranger class but I can't find any bows for sale, nor can I alchemize any. Halp!
    I think Porth Llaffan has one for sale, and you can steal a Hunter's Bow from a Hunter Mech in Bad Cave by Bloomingdale.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Malakaius wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    Is a "hocus chimera feather" just a higher rarity drop? Should I just keep trying?

Just keep killing them, it is random and can be a pain in the arse.

Malakaius, unrelated to the topic at hand, but it's obvious that both you and I understand and accept the true significance of our Shyguy overlords.

Praise be to them.

GPIA7R on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So, what and where is enemy 66?

Spinchilla, one of those tornado dudes. Zoom to the Dourbridge area.

Man, it was really annoying that the weapon I got for the L30 Boomerang quest was the same one I'd alchemized and had been using for a while now. :/

Also: quests involving anything in the Metal Slime family are getting old.

How the hell am I supposed to clear the L15 Paladin quest? Everyone in my party knows Pincushion (one Metal Slime leveled everyone from 1 to 7), but when I set everyone up with it the stupid Armor keeps spamming its lightning bullshit. When it DOES hit me it doesn't do enough to trigger the Pincushion's effect. :/

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Do they show up on their own? Because I have been running around for something like half an hour and haven't seen anything.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Those metal slime quest are almost pure luck even if you have your whole party with the abilities needed.

Algertman on
    edited July 2010
    Do they show up on their own? Because I have been running around for something like half an hour and haven't seen anything.

Hmmm. Guess not. I just found one by encountering a butterfly enemy on the Slurry Quay side.

I think I've also run into them on the ship, but obviously that's a crapshoot.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    How the hell am I supposed to clear the L15 Paladin quest? Everyone in my party knows Pincushion (one Metal Slime leveled everyone from 1 to 7), but when I set everyone up with it the stupid Armor keeps spamming its lightning bullshit. When it DOES hit me it doesn't do enough to trigger the Pincushion's effect. :/
    Take off your armor.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    About what level do you need to get a character to to have 100 skill points?

wonderpug on
    edited July 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Level 38 is 102 skill points.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Take off your armor.

Yeah, that's what I figured. But that still doesn't solve the lightning problem.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Level 38 is 102 skill points.

Danke

wonderpug on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unlocked the Baramos map last night. Didn't have time to find him (he's next to a swamp and a signpost, wherever that is), which is just as good because apparnetly he'll kick yer ass if you go in unprepared.

Apparently beating Baramos at level 16 or above (his level, not yours) has a low chance to drop a Mudo map.

Who, at level 16 or more, has a chance to unlock Dholmagus.

I see what you did there, Square Enix, ya crafty sods.
    All 3 of those antagonists are final bosses that you spend a very long amount of time only to defeat and discover they aren't the real final boss, usually after about 50 hours of gameplay.

(Dholmagus drops only increasingly powerful gear as you level him, no new maps.)

KiTA on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I figure I should get some use out of the gladiator class that I just unlocked. I figured that I'd change the warrior that I've been leveling up to get some more +strength, plus from the class description, it seems like it have some good offensive abilities. Only thing is that she's been leveling up spears, so I need to switch weapons. I thought I'd try either hammers or axes (since I haven't used either yet), but I really can't tell from the abilities what the difference between them is. Any suggestions?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    Axes are better. They're good for metal hunting (the 58 point ability is a 'crit or miss' ability--just like the one for Spears if you got that one) and Helm Splitter is excellent for bosses. Damage + Defense Lowering.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Axes are better. They're good for metal hunting (the 58 point ability is a 'crit or miss' ability) and Helm Splitter is excellent for bosses. Damage + Defense Lowering.

Ah, thanks. I figured that helm splitter sounded like a defense lowering ability, but wasn't sure.

Also, is there a level 15 quest for every class? I looked all over Alltrades for the priest one and couldn't find one, unless I did it already and forgot about it.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    Haven't tried either myself. Got a Ranger with boomerangs (formerly MA w/ claws), Gladiator with Swords (formerly Minstrel w/ fans), and Paladin keeping the spears he's been rocking through both Warrior and Priest. I'd personally go with Axes, but mostly because I've never been a fan of clubs/hammers in general.

EDIT: The L15 Priest guy is in Wormwood Cove, IIRC. Or Upover, I forget. Either way he's nowhere near Alltrades.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited July 2010
    Axes are better. They're good for metal hunting (the 58 point ability is a 'crit or miss' ability) and Helm Splitter is excellent for bosses. Damage + Defense Lowering.

Ah, thanks. I figured that helm splitter sounded like a defense lowering ability, but wasn't sure.

Also, is there a level 15 quest for every class? I looked all over Alltrades for the priest one and couldn't find one, unless I did it already and forgot about it.
    There is, they're just not all at the same place. The Priest quest is at Wormwood--down in a well, I think. I'm pretty sure that's where the Warrior quest is, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Thanks. I don't think I've been to Wormwood yet.

chrono_traveller on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've managed to completely forget where the quest to unlock gladiator is. That's the one where you have to Dragon Slash slimes, right?

jothki on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Should be the guy standing in Alltrades Abbey, next to the stairs leading to the basement. I still have to do that quest.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    I've managed to completely forget where the quest to unlock gladiator is. That's the one where you have to Dragon Slash slimes, right?

Perhaps the easiest of the Profession quests. Just have Monk use War Cry on the solo slimes near Angel Falls to keep it in place while you Egg On someone with Dragon Slash to 100 tension.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's the Gladiator quest. The guy is in the basement of Alltrades right outside the Inn. He's a priest for some reason.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did paladin last night and that was easy. Left two dudes at the inn and then went with my priest to do whipping boy in the desert. Got it done in one fight against a shield guy.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010

Perhaps the easiest of the Profession quests. Just have Monk use War Cry on the solo slimes near Angel Falls to keep it in place while you Egg On someone with Dragon Slash to 100 tension.

Just as a side note, but if you do the slimes near Angel Falls this won't be a problem, but you can't hurt the slimes before doing the dragon slash. I kept trying to do the ones near Bloomingdale without stunning them, and found this out the hard way.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    wow, total letdowm. Got a quest to kill Shogun and loot a quest item from him.

The reward ? A lucida shard.

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone who's done a bit more actually using abilities than me know if the Fan skill Schizofanic lasts multiple turns or if it's just the turn you use it?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    wow, total letdowm. Got a quest to kill Shogun and loot a quest item from him.

The reward ? A lucida shard.

For wasting precious time against Shogum by using Half-Inch?!

Maybe it's just because I'm currently 0 for 4 against him, but for that I'd at least expect a magnet that prevents metal slimes from running away. :P

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Unlocked the Baramos map last night. Didn't have time to find him (he's next to a swamp and a signpost, wherever that is), which is just as good because apparnetly he'll kick yer ass if you go in unprepared.

Apparently beating Baramos at level 16 or above (his level, not yours) has a low chance to drop a Mudo map.

Who, at level 16 or more, has a chance to unlock Dholmagus.

I see what you did there, Square Enix, ya crafty sods.
    All 3 of those antagonists are final bosses that you spend a very long amount of time only to defeat and discover they aren't the real final boss, usually after about 50 hours of gameplay.

(Dholmagus drops only increasingly powerful gear as you level him, no new maps.)

You mean Level 5 right? Because Level 5 made the game, not Square.

Actually, I don't think Square made a single DQ game, but only published them... Level 5 was responsible for DQ VIII as well (which is probably why it's so fucking good).

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited July 2010
    Well i'm using Half-Inch on him since he's such a pushover for me (the only thing that can kill me is my paladin using Forbearance when he does his Kabang), but i didn't have to for the quest. He just dropped it at the end of the fight.

Still, i was annoyed.

quaigy on
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone who's done a bit more actually using abilities than me know if the Fan skill Schizofanic lasts multiple turns or if it's just the turn you use it?

It's more than one turn, probably four or five like the similar shield buffing paladin skills. Also with the whole paladin getting owned by multiple hit attacks, I've been light shielding in the first round before forbearance and it's really nice. He also wears a mirror shield so that probably helps, but usually he only gets hit by two of four hits with magic and stuff, or less.

Athaedos on
    edited July 2010
    Athaedos wrote: »

It's more than one turn, probably four or five like the similar shield buffing paladin skills. Also with the whole paladin getting owned by multiple hit attacks, I've been light shielding in the first round before forbearance and it's really nice. He also wears a mirror shield so that probably helps, but usually he only gets hit by two of four hits with magic and stuff, or less.
    So basically Fans are the best weapon for a Paladin.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    What weapons can paladins equip? (Gaming sites are blocked at work. :( )

And for that matter, what can Armamentalists(sp?) equip? (I haven't unlocked either yet.)

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    What weapons can paladins equip? (Gaming sites are blocked at work. :( )

And for that matter, what can Armamentalists(sp?) equip? (I haven't unlocked either yet.)
    Full list of vocations and their weapon skills
    Minstrel: Sword, Whip, Fan, Shield
    Warrior: Sword, Spear, Knife, Shield
    Mage: Wand, Whip, Knife, Shield
    Priest: Spear, Wand, Staff, Shield
    Martial Artist: Fan, Claw, Staff, Fisticuffs
    Thief: Knife, Claw, Sword, Fisticuffs
    Gladiator: Sword, Axe, Club, Fisticuffs
    Armamentalist: Sword, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Paladin: Club, Spear, Wand, Shield
    Ranger: Bow, Axe, Boomerang, Fisticuffs
    Sage: Boomerang, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Luminary: Boomerang, Whip, Fan, Shield

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Thanks Black.

chrono_traveller on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it wrong that my Thief will be my Paladin?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
This discussion has been closed.