As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it wrong that my Thief will be my Paladin?

Only if you can't roleplay the complex circumstances surrounding his change of heart.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did paladin last night and that was easy. Left two dudes at the inn and then went with my priest to do whipping boy in the desert. Got it done in one fight against a shield guy.

You can actually use whipping boy to block the trip attacks those shark things do, meaning you can get multiple blocks off of the same attack.

Does losing your turn disable whipping boy?

jothki on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What weapons can paladins equip? (Gaming sites are blocked at work. :( )

And for that matter, what can Armamentalists(sp?) equip? (I haven't unlocked either yet.)
    Full list of vocations and their weapon skills
    Minstrel: Sword, Whip, Fan, Shield
    Warrior: Sword, Spear, Knife, Shield
    Mage: Wand, Whip, Knife, Shield
    Priest: Spear, Wand, Staff, Shield
    Martial Artist: Fan, Claw, Staff, Fisticuffs
    Thief: Knife, Claw, Sword, Fisticuffs
    Gladiator: Sword, Axe, Club, Fisticuffs
    Armamentalist: Sword, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Paladin: Club, Spear, Wand, Shield
    Ranger: Bow, Axe, Boomerang, Fisticuffs
    Sage: Boomerang, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Luminary: Boomerang, Whip, Fan, Shield

Just remember that when you put 100 points into a weapon skill, you can use the weapon with every class.

DarkPrimus on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What weapons can paladins equip? (Gaming sites are blocked at work. :( )

And for that matter, what can Armamentalists(sp?) equip? (I haven't unlocked either yet.)
    Full list of vocations and their weapon skills
    Minstrel: Sword, Whip, Fan, Shield
    Warrior: Sword, Spear, Knife, Shield
    Mage: Wand, Whip, Knife, Shield
    Priest: Spear, Wand, Staff, Shield
    Martial Artist: Fan, Claw, Staff, Fisticuffs
    Thief: Knife, Claw, Sword, Fisticuffs
    Gladiator: Sword, Axe, Club, Fisticuffs
    Armamentalist: Sword, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Paladin: Club, Spear, Wand, Shield
    Ranger: Bow, Axe, Boomerang, Fisticuffs
    Sage: Boomerang, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Luminary: Boomerang, Whip, Fan, Shield

Just remember that when you put 100 points into a weapon skill, you can use the weapon with every class.
    Also that Fisticuffs is always Omnivocational but only the listed classes can put points into it.

It's also worth pointing out that there's no such thing as a "two handed weapon" in the game, so you can use Shields with everything, even bows, claws, and fisticuffs.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ugh. Just died on the boss of AllTrades Tower and lost like an hour of play. The difficulty kind of came out of nowhere on him. I've been breezing through every other encounter, including previous bosses, with no trouble at all. Then Whamo! This guy has some pretty nasty AoE spells.

Lucascraft on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ugh. Just died on the boss of AllTrades Tower and lost like an hour of play. The difficulty kind of came out of nowhere on him. I've been breezing through every other encounter, including previous bosses, with no trouble at all. Then Whamo! This guy has some pretty nasty AoE spells.

Keep in mind that you don't really lose progress unless you shut off the game without saving. When you die, you just lose some money.

Taya on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taya wrote: »

Keep in mind that you don't really lose progress unless you shut off the game without saving. When you die, you just lose some money.

And are one step closer to becoming a Regular Churchgoer!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ive noticed bosses dont have a set rotation and can be very nasty. That boss the first time I fought him did the same thing to me that he most likely did to you. His rotation was steal mana from my priest then either woosh or do that lightning aoe. Every single turn.

Jubal77 on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just finished Batsureg. That story line was okay. The boss battle was a little underwhelming.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Unlocked the Baramos map last night. Didn't have time to find him (he's next to a swamp and a signpost, wherever that is), which is just as good because apparnetly he'll kick yer ass if you go in unprepared.

Apparently beating Baramos at level 16 or above (his level, not yours) has a low chance to drop a Mudo map.

Who, at level 16 or more, has a chance to unlock Dholmagus.

I see what you did there, Square Enix, ya crafty sods.
    All 3 of those antagonists are final bosses that you spend a very long amount of time only to defeat and discover they aren't the real final boss, usually after about 50 hours of gameplay.

(Dholmagus drops only increasingly powerful gear as you level him, no new maps.)

You mean Level 5 right? Because Level 5 made the game, not Square.

Actually, I don't think Square made a single DQ game, but only published them... Level 5 was responsible for DQ VIII as well (which is probably why it's so fucking good).

Nnnnnnnn~not exactly. The "Dragon Quest Team" has been the same 3 guys since the first Dragon Quest, it's one of the reasons why as a series it's remained high quality -- Yuuji Hori writes the story (he also wrote most of Chrono Trigger's story, but not Chrono Cross's), Akira Toriyama does all the art, and Koichi Sugiyama does all the music.

They tend to get pinch hitters to help with the programming of the main engine, however.

In the past this has been Chunsoft (First 5 Dragon Quest games, founded by an ex-Enix programmer), Heartbeat (DQ6 and 7, DQ4r-PSX, reformed as Genius Sonority, aka "the Pokemon spinoff guys"), and Level 5 (Lots!).

Amusingly, Level-5 was all set to make the 360's first MMORPG, "True Fantasy Live Online", when the DQ team approached them to replace the closing down Heartbeat to help make DQ8. Level-5 told Microsoft what the hell they could do with themselves pretty darned quickly. It's a bit like as if the guys at Popcap games were asked to help make Warcraft 4 or something out of the blue.

KiTA on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Genius Sonority, not Sorority. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    Genius Sonority, not Sorority. :)

*whistle*

KiTA on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    Just finished Batsureg. That story line was okay. The boss battle was a little underwhelming.

Maybe it's because it's one of the few stories without
    someone dying

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You mean Level 5 right? Because Level 5 made the game, not Square.

Actually, I don't think Square made a single DQ game, but only published them... Level 5 was responsible for DQ VIII as well (which is probably why it's so fucking good).

Level 5 "made" the game. But Hori was decided how everything should be, like every other Dragon Quest game.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited July 2010
    More Cameo Grotto stuff:

竜王 (Dragonlord)'s map is available as a 10% drop chance off グレイナル (who I'm not translating as due to it being a cameo from... DQ9). グレイナル is a boss that appears at random in Grottos over level 80, and is thus kinda, er, hard.

Dragonlord over level 16 drops the map for デスピサロ (Pizarro).

Pizarro drops the map for ミルドラース (Nimzo in the US translation, I believe).

Nimzo does not drop any maps, just items.

The link between all 3 of these bosses? They all have 2 forms.

KiTA on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »

That boss was more annoying then hard.

Highly resistant to debuffs and kept on draining MP, yet didn't do enough damage to be a major threat.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited July 2010
    Oh huh, so those super secret skill scrolls just need to be in your inventory but don't get used up? I guess that's not so bad then.

Dracil on
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    More Cameo Grotto stuff:
    竜王 (Dragonlord)'s map is available as a 10% drop chance off グレイナル (who I'm not translating as due to it being a cameo from... DQ9). グレイナル is a boss that appears at random in Grottos over level 80, and is thus kinda, er, hard.

Dragonlord over level 16 drops the map for デスピサロ (Pizarro).

Pizarro drops the map for ミルドラース (Nimzo in the US translation, I believe).

Nimzo does not drop any maps, just items.

The link between all 3 of these bosses? They all have 2 forms.

Yeah, unfortunately I read Japanese, so the DQ9 cameo was kinda spoilery. :P

Dracil on
  • PohlPohl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I just defeated this boss last night, but only barely. My team consisted of a LV 17, two LV 16, and a LV 15. He stole a ton of MP from my mage, and my martial artist took a beating and I did not stay on top of healing her so she turned into a coffin rather quickly. Finally took down the boss with repeated Crackle's thanks to that coup de grace which lets me cast spells for 0 MP. Was a literal lifesaver.

But yeah, you didn't actually lose any game progression. Just half your money. So all your grinding up to the top of the tower was not in vain!

Pohl on
    Grinding Down - that videogame blog you're not reading.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    and if you don't mind dying there's a bank in stornway where you can keep your money and not lose it when you die.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I scraped by the boss in the very first treasure map you get, and the boss of Gleeba was kind of close, but hte boss in Swinedimples destroyed me. Not having any group spells other than Acceleratle is probably the key factor in what makes this game so difficult.

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    I think you skipped a section, is why it was so hard.

You're supposed to go Gleeba --> Batsureg --> [strike]Hogwarts[/strike] Swinedimples.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just beat the boss of the first treasure map I got. This fight was easy this time around. Upped everyones defense when he would lower it, gigaslah, helm splitter, and just stadard attacks spells.

Team: Warrior lvl 31, Paladin lvl 27, Mage lvl 35, Hunter lvl 30

Algertman on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have the worst luck with maps. I can't get one higher than lvl 21, no matter which boss i kill. Heck, i've just killed Shogum three times in a row in a lvl 20 one, and he gave me 3 maps ranging from lvl 5 to 11.

quaigy on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    and if you don't mind dying there's a bank in stornway where you can keep your money and not lose it when you die.

Yep. I think I got 10K sitting in there now.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What!? You've still never been wiped out?
    How's that even flapping possible?
    Oi, you're not cheating, are you?

Flap you, Stella.

quaigy on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do accolades serve a purpose? Maybe some of them unlock stuff, perhaps?

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010
    Stella never seems to recognize that you're just awesome. :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You're supposed to go Gleeba --> Batsureg --> [strike]Hogwarts[/strike] Swinedimples.

Oh, well that makes sense, then.

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only one that obsessively checks the Defeated Monsters List? What if you miss one? :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Artereis wrote: »

Are you just supposed to see how hard the enemies are and explore around?

I just got the boat, and its just like go anywhere! I don't remember anyone hinting at a fruit being in a certain spot.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Stella asks if you are a god, you say "YES".

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited July 2010
    Artereis wrote: »

Are you just supposed to see how hard the enemies are and explore around?

I just got the boat, and its just like go anywhere! I don't remember anyone hinting at a fruit being in a certain spot.
    The dude in the lighthouse two centimeters away from Bloomingdale tells you to go to Gleeba.

But yeah, mostly just explore. That's the fun part of getting boats in Dragon Quest. :D

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »

Flap you, Stella.

Golden rule of Dragon Quest: With enough grinding and planning, you can avoid getting wiped out even a single time. Hell, I beat both forms of Dhoulmagus in 1 try back in DQVIII.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited July 2010

Flap you, Stella.

Golden rule of Dragon Quest: With enough grinding and planning, you can avoid getting wiped out even a single time. Hell, I beat both forms of Dhoulmagus in 1 try back in DQVIII.
    All you needed there was a Cupid's Bow and its free Multiheal every turn.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010

Flap you, Stella.

All you needed there was a Cupid's Bow and its free Multiheal every turn.

Could you get Cupid's bow that early? I didn't know that.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. You can Alchemize it as soon as that Bazaar opened in that castle town.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally have class changing abilities. My lead is a Warrior now, so my dominati-er...Minstrel, is my only whip slinging minstrel now.

I'm loving the character art. It's been a while since I played a game with Toriyama's art. I never gave the DBZ games a chanced (whatever fighting game that was fun. That one. Should have played it.)

Instead I'm playing DQ while watching this:

See my MONKEY!.....form.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited July 2010
    I have the worst luck with maps. I can't get one higher than lvl 21, no matter which boss i kill. Heck, i've just killed Shogum three times in a row in a lvl 20 one, and he gave me 3 maps ranging from lvl 5 to 11.

They're actually based on your level when you complete them, so if you're having some issues with low level maps, try grinding up a bit.
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Yep. I think I got 10K sitting in there now.

There's an accolade for storing 10,000,000 in the bank. Ugh.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. You can Alchemize it as soon as that Bazaar opened in that castle town.

Oh, then that explains it... I didn't bother grinding for that much Gold, even with the easily accessed Gold Golems...

Really though, after you hit level 30, Dragon Quest VIII got really easy, especially since Monster teams and the Hero's and Jessica's spells made the fights that much easier.

EDIT: BTW, for future reference, which class in DQIX gives you "Whack" and "Thwack"?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
This discussion has been closed.