As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kinect is $149.99 (£129.99 / €149.99), includes Kinect Adventures - thoughts?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, the tag on the left that says "controller based" and "controller free" as if that distinction proved superiority.

OK. Can someone tell me how the Kinect is not a controller?

Couscous on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because it looks like it's more of a "gentle suggester"

Lemming on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Also, the tag on the left that says "controller based" and "controller free" as if that distinction proved superiority.

It's a control method, but I would hesitate to call it a controller which has a fairly clear meaning by now as a physical thing you hold.

EDIT: nice, Lemming

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's a control method, but I would hesitate to call it a controller which has a fairly clear meaning by now as a physical thing you hold.

But you use the Kinect to control the game. Hence, "controller."

My god, this is going to be the "what is hardcore" argument all over again, isn't it?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

But you use the Kinect to control the game. Hence, "controller."

My god, this is going to be the "what is hardcore" argument all over again, isn't it?

Looking on Google news, the AP, Wired News, and USAToday call it a controller.

Couscous on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    when I think controller, I think of something that has buttons that I press.

I would call the kinect an input device.

Like the same thing as the wii bar. (even though I know the camera is in the wiimote)

belligerent on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've said it before and the current news does nothing to change things:

MS has handled Kinect incredibly poorly since this year's E3. The Milo boondoggle, the sitting issues, the outright dismissal of features originally promised(4+ player multiplayer, the online dress-up thing, backwards compatibility, etc), and now playing silly goose with the pricing when it turns out the Gamestop listing was right on the money(especially since it's way too expensive), and trying the Sony thing of a false price comparison chart.

Really, the ONLY positives Kinect has in its corner right now are Dance Central and Child of Eden, and both of those have caveats(the former is competing with Just Dance and other like games, while the latter doesn't require motion controls to play and isn't 360 exclusive).

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    150$? Yeeeeeeeah no.

simulacrum on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah . . . I'm gonna pass.

Seriously the price and the fact that allthe games thus far are wiitreads doesn't entice me at al.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited July 2010
    wiitreads

Hee hee. I like that.

cloudeagle on
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I wanted a Wii, I would have bought a Wii. I look at this thing the same way that I looked at The Power Glove on NES and the Super Scope Six on SNES. They can all be summed up with one single word: "nope."

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how the hurdle game has to give you an indicator of when to jump well before when the hurdle is close to you, so as to compensate for lag.

It's like the hurdle game from Track & Field on the NES Power Pad. Except that game didn't have lag.

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    wiitreads

Hee hee. I like that.

Years later and we're still finding Wii puns

King Riptor on
    edited July 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    I like how the hurdle game has to give you an indicator of when to jump well before when the hurdle is close to you, so as to compensate for lag.

It's like the hurdle game from Track & Field on the NES Power Pad. Except that game didn't have lag.

It appears to be because the game only senses if you make a jump in that green space. This means the thing is basically just checking to see if you hopped and doesn't give a shit if you actually made a proper jump or anything like that. The same is true with the running. It just determines how fast you are moving your legs and doesn't move the characters in any way close to how you are moving. In other words, the game basically uses Wiimote gestures except without holding a wiimote and allowing detection of leg gestures.

Couscous on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah . . . I'm gonna pass.

Seriously the price and the fact that allthe games thus far are wiitreads doesn't entice me at al.
    BURN AT THE STAKE, FIEND

But seriously, 150 bucks for this shit? No fucking chance: people who're already into gaming are going to avoid this like the plague between the big fuck-off price tag and the rather shittiness of what's been shown thus far, and parents who're kid wants one of the motion consoles're going to zip straight to Nintendo between the brand name strength and the ~$100+ they'll save from not having to buy the 360 itself. MS has fucked up, and fucked up big time with this, and they are gonna' feel it and hear it for years.

Sorenson on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Coffey wrote: »
    If I wanted a Wii, I would have bought a Wii. I look at this thing the same way that I looked at The Power Glove on NES and the Super Scope Six on SNES. They can all be summed up with one single word: "nope."

Dude,the Super Scope was fucking awesome. You missed out.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Back on the Milo thing for a sec, and why I think it's important:

I get all the lolpedosim jokes and stuff that's been directed at it and so on, but I think a lot of people(MS included) overlook exactly how important a game like that was. Namely, Milo was the first game to show off things only Kinect could do, a la tonal recognition, scanning pictures, color recognition, etc. This was the sort of thing Kinect needs at launch: something that puts it on a whole different level than the Wii or Sony's Move. Instead, the game may never come out, and nothing like it(in the sense that it does something only Kinect can do) has replaced it. So we are left with Wiimitations, implying that either Kinect simply can't do what we've been told it is capable of doing, or that MS really doesn't give a shit.

And maybe the latter really is true. Maybe MS somehow thinks that they can get by with selling very little software for it, a la how analysts keep saying how many families buy only Wii Play and the like, play it for a week, then forget it. It would certainly explain the pricing for the peripheral.

Sagroth on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »

I get all the lolpedosim jokes and stuff that's been directed at it and so on, but I think a lot of people(MS included) overlook exactly how important a game like that was. Namely, Milo was the first game to show off things only Kinect could do, a la tonal recognition, scanning pictures, color recognition, etc. This was the sort of thing Kinect needs at launch: something that puts it on a whole different level than the Wii or Sony's Move. Instead, the game may never come out, and nothing like it(in the sense that it does something only Kinect can do) has replaced it. So we are left with Wiimitations, implying that either Kinect simply can't do what we've been told it is capable of doing, or that MS really doesn't give a shit.

And maybe the latter really is true. Maybe MS somehow thinks that they can get by with selling very little software for it, a la how analysts keep saying how many families buy only Wii Play and the like, play it for a week, then forget it. It would certainly explain the pricing for the peripheral.

It's Molyneux, I think the bolded part is probably the most likely

Edit: Also, EyeToy can do most of those. And tonal recognition is a software thing, so any microphone could do that provided there is software written to handle it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • hushhush Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's a tough sell for me hearing about how Milo is supposed to be the killer app for this device, as what I've seen of Milo doesn't actually look fun in the slightest. Sure, you're doing something you can't do on the wii, and I appreciate the implications of what that might mean in the future, but it's seriously a proof of concept (at best), and not a fun one at that. I'm sure the Kinect would be able to pick up and process the act of me slamming my dick in a door, but that doesn't mean it's something I want from my gaming system (even if the wii and move can't comprehend it the same way!!).

At this point, at this price, with these titles, I'm shrugging with indifference as hard as I possibly can without hurting myself.

hush on
    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
    edited July 2010
    There's some question as to whether Milo could actually do what it did in those demonstrations or whether it was all staged.

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    There's some question as to whether Milo could actually do what it did in those demonstrations or whether it was all staged.

I thought it was verified that it was staged

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Bolded the part that matters, particularly in regards to the Milo presentation. I read a lot of different takes from game journalists who claim to have had a hands-on demo with Milo, and I'm still unsure if the whole thing was done with someone controlling things behind a curtain (disguised as a laptop) or if it was all real tech. If it's supposed to be the latter, considering how "good" the claims about it were then, why was nothing shown at E3 this year?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It's Molyneux, I think the bolded part is probably the most likely

I'd buy the notion that it was Molyneaux overshooting again, if only the same types of features hadn't have been shown in the original trailer for the device(y'know, back at E3 09 when it was Project Natal).

This one here.

So where were those features this year? Or games that could utilize them? If MS' entire goal was to just make imitation Wii games, then why didn't they just fucking say so instead of leading me on by the nose for a year?

Sagroth on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't most of those games look like imitation Wii games, plus being able to take a low res photo of a skateboard?

I mean, you have Red Steel, a few Eyetoy games, Tony Hawk's Ride, Buzz...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    That trailer was a bunch of lies anyways. Besides, Molyneux works for Microsoft. If anything, the trailer probably promised those things based on his claims.

Warlock82 on
    edited July 2010
    Don't most of those games look like imitation Wii games, plus being able to take a low res photo of a skateboard?

I mean, you have Red Steel, a few Eyetoy games, Tony Hawk's Ride, Buzz...

Yeah, but some are still showing features that the Wii couldn't do. The skateboard thing is one of them. The family of 6 playing the gameshow game with the voice recognition is another.

So yeah, most of those games look like Wii games with something extra added. But it's that last part that's the important one in my mind, especially when it's become quite obvious that Kinect's tracking is nowhere near 1:1.

In other words: if you don't have the extra features you promised, and can't even do what the Wii does consistently better, then what the fuck is the point? Especially when Sony is already showing augmented reality in their Move games with a $30 camera(that stupid little pet game).

Sagroth on
    edited July 2010
    EyeToy can do the skateboard thing though.

And pretty much anything else can do voice recognition as long as there is a microphone attached. Wii could theoretically do voice recognition with WiiSpeak and someone writing the software to do so.

Edit: I imagine Kinect has built-in voice recognition (you know.. "KINECT PAUSE!!!"), but I'm also going to assume here that Microsoft just ported the code from SYNC, as that would be the easy/cheap/lazy thing to do.

Warlock82 on
    edited July 2010

And pretty much anything else can do voice recognition as long as there is a microphone attached. Wii could theoretically do voice recognition with WiiSpeak and someone writing the software to do so.

I don't disagree. And in some ways, that makes it all the more infuriating. If a last-gen camera can do this stuff, then why don't we have any known projects in the Kinect lineup that does the same? Why are they wanting me to pay $150 for something that all their games and marketing shows only imitates Wii games?

MS needs to sell this as something superior to the Wii options. They really should be pushing everything the peripheral is capable of, and they're not at all.

Sagroth on
    edited July 2010

I don't disagree. And in some ways, that makes it all the more infuriating. If a last-gen camera can do this stuff, then why don't we have any known projects in the Kinect lineup that does the same? Why are they wanting me to pay $150 for something that all their games and marketing shows only imitates Wii games?

MS needs to sell this as something superior to the Wii options. They really should be pushing everything the peripheral is capable of, and they're not at all.

I'm sure something probably uses it in some superfluous way - like you show Skittles a picture and he smiles at it or something

Warlock82 on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought they already had a camera for the 360.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    150 dollars is exactly the price I thought it was going to be when I watched the E3 Microsoft conference. Too much? I guess if you were expecting MS to take a huge loss on it.

JJ on
    edited July 2010
    JJ wrote: »
    150 dollars is exactly the price I thought it was going to be when I watched the E3 Microsoft conference. Too much? I guess if you were expecting MS to take a huge loss on it.

In a world where everyone has already purchased a Wii, it's too much... had it been first, it would have sold like crazy at that price

Warlock82 on
    edited July 2010

Microsoft takes a huge loss on hardware because they can afford to . Hell the 360 is a black hole for money. How many redesigns and free units have they had to go through?

I hardly think charging 70 for this is unrealistic.

King Riptor on
    edited July 2010

I don't expect a company to take a loss on something. I expect a company to design a product with features such that they can budget reasonably and still maintain an appropriate price for the market they want to sell the end product to. If they want to accomplish that end by taking losses or making profits, that's up to them. But the consumer doesn't care about that, the consumer cares about how much they have to pull out of their own wallet.

slash000 on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Coffey wrote: »

Dude,the Super Scope was fucking awesome. You missed out.

However -- the Super Scope Scope was a piece of shit. Fire that beast from the hip.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    $150 is far too expensive. I'll wait till it's in the bargain bin if they keep it at that price.

urahonky on
    edited July 2010

Microsoft takes a huge loss on hardware because they can afford to . Hell the 360 is a black hole for money. How many redesigns and free units have they had to go through?

I hardly think charging 70 for this is unrealistic.

Not really. If it weren't for the RROD fiasco they'd have made money on the 360 a couple years after launch.

In fact, it's because MS lost so much money on the original Xbox that their prices on accessories are so high. The company really, really wants their little investment to pay off.

That said, rumor has it there was a LOT of internal fighting over what to charge for Kinect. Looks like the "make money from day one" faction won out. Also there have been rumors that Kinect is actually pretty costly to make, so $70 wouldn't have been realistic even if Microsoft decided to be aggressive and lose a little.

cloudeagle on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want one.

But £130 with a game is a lot of cash.

If I could get the new model 360S, 250 gig HD and Kinect for around £300 I'd hit that happily enough.

The software is not quite compelling enough at the moment, but I like the idea of the thing. Hamronix dance game looks good. Kinectimals looks like it could be interesting, Kinect Adventures will be really fun for Xmas.

If something great like Rockband 3, Halo : Reach or summit else I'm really looking forward to getting makes a decent use of Kinect, it will be much easier to justify a purchase beyond;

1) New 360 dash control.
    2) Some of the games are kinda interesting and / or fun looking.
    3) Controllerless gaming looks fricking mental we are living in the future man.

which are not exactly the most compelling of arguments for £130. :?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And see, $150 wouldn't be that hard of a sell if there was a killer game for the system at launch. Goodness knows, a lot of people payed that much or more for one of the versions of Rock Band. The problem is that I'm not really seeing anything killer for the launch except maybe the dance game, and the dance game is targeting precisely the same demographic that probably already owns a Wii.

I imagine the $300 system + Kinect bundle will do a lot better than the $150 standalone.

EDIT: Speaking of which, what kind of killer game would need to be out there for you to want to buy a Kinect? Just curious, of course, not at all planning on stealing your ideas for my own game development, nope, not all. Mwahaha!

RainbowDespair on
    edited July 2010
    Remember kids: never ever ever EVER buy a system/accessory for its "potential," buy it because there's a game out NOW that you want to play. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

cloudeagle on